• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Changes for Next week

First, Staker all over Garland? Just enlighten me; what impact did Staker have on the game? The commentators said it all: very little. If he'd been any good they might have scored more goals.

Terry Toweling. Hold your horses.

We beat Brisbane. By a lot. Many of their players didn't do well. Staker is their third best tall after Brown and Fev so of course he will not get the same supply. Whilst Garland did well helping out and leaving his man to contest other situations, I don't think he played all that well. He looked rusty, he gave away clumsy free kicks and when the ball was kicked to Staker, Garland was caught out on a number of occasions in the first half.

All I am saying is, I would rather have Rivers in Garlands position at the moment.

And I believe that's a fair enough opinion. Garland has missed a year of footy and you can tell.

Edited by stevethemanjordan

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

agree on both points

would love to squeeze bail and perhaps watts in, but going to be tough to drop players from yesterday's 22-man performance

dont think we will see watts in the firsts for a few more weeks

think we need a extra tall, north have hmac, goldstein, and hale . As we are at ES , the weather will be irrelevant as the roof will be closed if its raining.

Martin is important in the longevity of Jamar and the development of a proper second ruck option. He also had 13 hitouts against Clark/Leuney, the stats aren't everything but it shows he gets his hands to it. Also liked his positioning when in the ruck, floated around half back nicely.

If by some miracle we make finals then play Dunn as the back up, but we if we don't keep developing players we might hit a roadblock with our development similar to where Essendon appear to be at the moment. They are playing too many guys who can't be dropped but also aren't going anywhere. In their case its their midfield - they didn't inject enough young talent when they needed to. For us its in the ruck and up forward. We might have to sacrifice a Bail or Bennell for a while, if they are good enough they'll bounce back anyway.

I think we'll play Martin against North's talls. Anyone know how serious Bail's "quad" injury is? I'd like him back. Garland was a bit iffy I thought. What stage is Rivers at? Otherwise, no changes.

Petterd is OK. He hyperextended his shoulder in the second quarter (I think it was the second quarter) and copped a corky in his butt and an ankle injury also, but he played out the game. If there is to be one inclusion, Bail in.

d

If Ricky is injured I'd move Garland forward and bring in Rivers.

Dunn is unfairly maligned at times (other times fairly) but I think he did a good job on Brennan.

Still, not sure he has a matchup against the Roos.

100% agree with your post enforcer. Rivers is in scintillating form at Casey and Garland would provide a terrific additional target up forward. I think it is important that if players show great form in the 2s that they can be rewarded with promotion. Rivers has done that and is a proven performer on the big stage.

This only applies of course if ricky is out, otherwise no change for mine. Unfortunately no room for Bail.

All I am saying is, I would rather have Rivers in Garlands position at the moment.

You should have just said that rather than the other floss you lead with.

Garland has missed a year of footy and you can tell.

And the selectors prefer him over Rivers even in his rusty state. Maybe they know something....

No change pending injuries.

Not much love for Martin - I realise he didn't have a "great" game but I thought his game was encouraging, and worth persevering with. At one stage he turned a 3 on 1 contest in the forward line in to a draw (ball up) when you could've forgiven him for being beaten. He didn't get a lot of the ball, but didn't slow it down when he did. On the back of that and the fact that I don't want Mark Jamar dead through exhaustion just yet, then he definitely stays in.

If Bail's fit, then he'll play at Casey next week, which is just bad luck as he was playing good footy before his injury. Nobody deserves to be left out, and while I reckon Bail's been good, I don't think he offers a significant improvement over the players currently in the side.

No room for Rivers in the side at the moment, but I'm sure we'll see him back again soon.

You should have just said that rather than the other floss you lead with.

If you read the whole thread you would embarrassingly realise that people on these forums ask for reasons why

an opinion is made. If I had simply said, "A straight swap, Rivers for Garland," people would have asked me why Rhino.

You do understand this yes?

And the selectors prefer him over Rivers even in his rusty state. Maybe they know something....

Just to let you in on something big guy, Rivers has had an injury and was nursed back through VFL.

It's not a matter of which player they "prefer".

Forums are made for exchanging ideas and having opinions Rhino.

Thank you for your constructive post on this issue.

Laughable to suggest we drop Garland.

It was a miracle that he is even playing football, and if it takes him 12 months to regain full form and confidence then so be it. He is a big part of our future, so big in fact that I'd rate him in our top 10 most important players, and therefore he has to be given as much game time as possible to continue to develop and gain experience.

After 12 months out of the game, I thought he did some very good "trademark Garland" things, and was nowhere near soundly beaten. How many goals did that [censored] Staker kick on him? :rolleyes:

Garland is starting 18 every single week, and will remain so for the next 10 years. He ain't getting dropped. Move on.

If you read the whole thread you would embarrassingly realise that people on these forums ask for reasons why

an opinion is made. If I had simply said, "A straight swap, Rivers for Garland," people would have asked me why Rhino.

You do understand this yes?

Just to let you in on something big guy, Rivers has had an injury and was nursed back through VFL.

It's not a matter of which player they "prefer".

Forums are made for exchanging ideas and having opinions Rhino.

Thank you for your constructive post on this issue.

There is a spot for Rivers in the team without a doubt. Even if he came off the bench, his great anticipation and cool skills should not be forgotten.

You have to put up with some posters bagging your opinions. Their records show that this is probably why they get involved in open forums. If you go too hard in your criticism of their 'constructive posts' them, you get a wrist slap from the mods. I like the way you've communicated your ideas.

"even if he came off the bench"

you do realize the game has changed to the extent that spot on the bench might as well be a position on the field..?

It's irrelevant whether it is a bench spot or not; in the team is in the team.

No change pending injuries.

Not much love for Martin - I realise he didn't have a "great" game but I thought his game was encouraging, and worth persevering with. At one stage he turned a 3 on 1 contest in the forward line in to a draw (ball up) when you could've forgiven him for being beaten. He didn't get a lot of the ball, but didn't slow it down when he did. On the back of that and the fact that I don't want Mark Jamar dead through exhaustion just yet, then he definitely stays in.

If Bail's fit, then he'll play at Casey next week, which is just bad luck as he was playing good footy before his injury. Nobody deserves to be left out, and while I reckon Bail's been good, I don't think he offers a significant improvement over the players currently in the side.

No room for Rivers in the side at the moment, but I'm sure we'll see him back again soon.

Agreed - I thought most contests Stef was involved in he did something encouraging. He needs to have more impact on more contests though.

"even if he came off the bench"

you do realize the game has changed to the extent that spot on the bench might as well be a position on the field..?

It's irrelevant whether it is a bench spot or not; in the team is in the team.

Then why is he being compared to our KP backmen throughout this thread? You do realize that he can play forward or anywhere for that matter.

Agreed - I thought most contests Stef was involved in he did something encouraging. He needs to have more impact on more contests though.

Let him have another week. Playing for VFL is entirely different pressure wise than playing AFL. He needs to get that week behind him and having played in that game will do a lot for his confidence. He is a player that needs that little bit of extra time given that his background is not football but basketball and he is still getting used to all the nuances that AFL has in comparison to VFL. He's certainly regained his confidence at Casey having played at least three decent games but what he needs in the seniors to be able to believe that he is making a contribution. I thought he did on Saturday because he provides so many more options for DB with him in the team.

In - Rivers

Out - Bruce

B - Garland Frawley Warnock

HB - Grimes Rivers MacDonald

C - Davey Moloney Trengove

HF - Scully Green Bate

F - Petterd Sylvia Martin

R - Jamar McDonald Jones

IC - Bartram Bennell Dunn McKenzie

It won't happen.....and it shouldn't happen. Bruce is too important in a number of ways, not least cos of his on field leadership and his consistent blanketing of key forwards

Guest Balls_Grinter_14

Would anyone think about bring JR in for Petterd if Ricky is carrying an injury. Just a left field thought. I don't think there is a role for JR in the back 6 at the moment. However, IF Ricky is injured, there may be a case to give him a shot in the forward line. He is a lovely over head mark and a great judge of the ball in flight.

I saw Ricky get hurt. Looked bad at the time. H e needed to get off but couldn't get out of the play. From where i was sitting it looked as though it was an ankle he had hurt or leg. However it was a big clash that left him hurt so could have been back, hip, corks...not too sure.

I think it was just before 3/4 time. I think he must have had some work done in the break coz he looked fine in the last 1/4.

IF ricky is injured the only other option may be to bite the Bullet and give Jack a run!! Watts that is

Edited by Balls_Grinter_14