North Ballarat V Casey Scorpions

KC from Casey

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goals

Casey Scorpions Waite 4 Fitzpatrick Plummer Simpson Weekes 2 Hillberge Johnson Lillie Petropolous Smith Sykes Wonaeamirri

North Ballarat McKenzie 4 Jones 3 Bell Couch Linke Nicholls Peters Struth 2

Best

Casey Scorpions Johnson Fitzpatrick Sykes Smith Waite Patti

North Ballarat McKenzie Couch Peters Tate Jones Lower

Go the Fitz!!! Good to see Wona on the scoreboard.

Win to the Scorps

Casey Scorpions 1.1.7 5.3.33 6.3.39 11.7.73

North Ballarat 4.5.29 6.6.42 8.6.54 9.9.63

Goals

Casey Scorpions Newton 3 Miller Watts 2 McGough MacReadie Maric Stockdale

McGough Maric

North Ballarat Dinnell 2 Benjamin Driscoll Jones Peters Richardson Smith Tyler

Best

Casey Scorpions Nicholls Rivers McGough Maric Taylor Miller

North Ballarat Harding Sewell Greig Pratt Tyler Moloney

2010 VFL Seniors

North Ballarat 4.5 6.6 8.7 9.9 (63)

Casey Scorpions 1.1 5.3 6.3 11.7 (73)

GOALS:

North Ballarat: Dinnell 2 Peters Smith Tyler Driscoll Jones Benjamin Richardson

Casey Scorpions: Newton 3 Miller 2 Watts 2 MacReadie Stockdale McGough Maric

BEST:

North Ballarat: Harding Sewell Greig Pratt Tyler Moloney

Casey Scorpions: Nicholls Rivers McGough Maric Taylor Miller

A post from den11 on bigfooty...

Hi all,

Quick update from today's game,

Casey were down all day and only got infront at about the 15min mark of the fourth. Was a windy and wet conditions and bloody cold in the end. Missed parts of game chasing mates 18month yr old around and avoiding the weather.

Martin didn't play, so half chance for tonight!!

The following is just opinion no stats,

Wona - Missed the resi's but apparently looked very good and snagged a couple (Thanks for the mustached melb supporter for that report)

Rivers - One of best on ground, read the play better then anyone else in the back half. Back to vintage playing off his man to mark infront of pack and run out of defense. Also hit Watts up a couple of times which i liked.

Jetta - Jetta did some nice things though as my mate pointed out doesnt seem to know how to use his pace, and doesn't make enough contests. Typical young player good was great poor was very poor.

Spencer = Spud. Sorry but doesn't do enough and gets knocked off of the ball from smaller players. I can't see him improving enough around the ground to be dangerous, but would love to be proved wrong.

PJ - Was ok, started game at full back, played a bit around the game. Took a nice mark in final qrt from an opposition kick in though missed the goal. Could still be a handy 2nd ruck but.....

JUICE - Juice was busy and continued to chase hard. Scary thing is that when he went into the Ruck in the final qrt he killed the opposition rucks with some awesome taps. Could he be the number 2 ruck......... I shudder to think! (THough Martin not playing might have in line as No 2)

Strauss - Took every kick in with no direct turnovers. Provides good run and nice kicking skills. I like this kid and is destined for a Gilbee style role in the ones.

Cheney - Was another good tough performance. Cant really remeber him being beaten though also didn't stand out as being really dominating. I think this is because i like our other running defenders or is it the red hair......

Watts - I wanted to put him earlier but 90% will be just reading this post to see his input so i wanted to keep them reading for a bit. Was good but didn't star. Kicked a couple of goals and a close miss. Leads well though gets lost in pack situations, yet almost held onto a screamer on the goal line. Looks good running through the mid and did some nice things. Reminds me as a young Riewoldt, and has the tank and skill. Be patient people!!

Maric - I should Prefix this by saying i am not a fan. Just one of those players that rubs me the wrong way. Did some really nice things today but very patchy. Drops the head and i think believes he is better then he is. I'm sorry to the Maric supporter just my opinion. Kicked a couple of good goals.

Hughes - Was very good early working through the wing and having a couple of shots on goal. Worked hard all day and might get his opportunity later in the year

Mcnamarra - Not one of his better ones. Right in front of me in the first qrt went to pick up ball and heard footsteps and just tried for the boundry. Lots of fumbles a couple of good things though won't be troubling the selectors on todays efforts.

Belly - Good to see him back. PLayed as a midfielder. Will be interested to see his stats i dont think he had a heap but could be surpised. In old terms "Better for the Run"

Miller - A good VFL game though nothing to suggest he is back to form enough to play for the Dee's. I would leave him at Casey for a while yet!

Think thats about it.

Just the thoughts of a country football fan so don't shoot me if the casey report is totally different!

I've had enough of this Watts story! My opinion - play him in the seniors next week. He has had 2 or 3 full games in the reserves to get fitness up. I don't give a toss about his form in the VFL - he was a Number 1 draft pick, he obviously has ability. Sometimes kids like this will benefit more from playing at the elite level as opposed to 1 or 2 levels below - look at Scully and Trengove.

I'm not saying he will be our KPF answer straight away - I'm happy to see him on a half forward flank for a majority of the time, but he does need some exposure to Full Forward during games. Let's not forget, as a junior he was always the bigger kid and mainly played that KPF role; playing wing or flank is great experience, but fairly new to him.

I don't give a toss about his form in the VFL - he was a Number 1 draft pick, he obviously has ability. Sometimes kids like this will benefit more from playing at the elite level as opposed to 1 or 2 levels below - look at Scully and Trengove.

Hell yeah.

Teaching young blokes that they don't have to earn thier game in the seniors sets a dangerous precedent.

I've had enough of this Watts story! My opinion - play him in the seniors next week. He has had 2 or 3 full games in the reserves to get fitness up. I don't give a toss about his form in the VFL - he was a Number 1 draft pick, he obviously has ability. Sometimes kids like this will benefit more from playing at the elite level as opposed to 1 or 2 levels below - look at Scully and Trengove.

I'm not saying he will be our KPF answer straight away - I'm happy to see him on a half forward flank for a majority of the time, but he does need some exposure to Full Forward during games. Let's not forget, as a junior he was always the bigger kid and mainly played that KPF role; playing wing or flank is great experience, but fairly new to him.

Who will you take out of that team to replace with Watts?

Where will watts play At Eddies Hat Restaurant?

Teaching young blokes that they don't have to earn thier game in the seniors sets a dangerous precedent.

Totally agree. I saw the game on Saturday at Ballarat, and IMO JW is nowhere near ready for a senior recall. He is an immensely talented raw recruit. We are now finals contenders and we have no room in the real stuff for players to learn on the job. Let him settle in to casey, gain confidence, and have two or three BOGs for Casey and earn his recall. He is a long way from that now.

If we were struggling in the one's then perhaps a speculative recall could be justified for the future.we are not in that position. In fact, totally the opposite. There is intense competition for places, and each has to be earnt. Jack's time will come but I suggest not in the first half of the year.

Just to let you know because you're obviously not aware.

Trengove played a lot seniors footy last year for Sturt and he and both Scully had good pre-seasons at the MFC.

Watts had an interapted pre-season and is a kpp. In most cases these types take longer to mature.

He seems to be progressing well week by week and there is no need to rush him into the team just because he is a number one pick.

You eat a lot of fast food dont you?

Totally agree. I saw the game on Saturday at Ballarat, and IMO JW is nowhere near ready for a senior recall. He is an immensely talented raw recruit. We are now finals contenders and we have no room in the real stuff for players to learn on the job. Let him settle in to casey, gain confidence, and have two or three BOGs for Casey and earn his recall. He is a long way from that now.

If we were struggling in the one's then perhaps a speculative recall could be justified for the future.we are not in that position. In fact, totally the opposite. There is intense competition for places, and each has to be earnt. Jack's time will come but I suggest not in the first half of the year.

I think not playing JW is a little short sighted and not where the FD are heading at the moment... They still need to get games into these guys which means playing them at Senior Level... Martin could easily make way for JW as the tall fwd.

Out foward line is playing well but the players people are talking about including don't play the same positions... We could do anything this season but lets not lose focus of the bigger picture and that is building a team for the future

I agree that it is short-sighted to not be looking to play Watts as much as possible. Playing Watts for 15 games this season, and then 22 games next season, will be invaluable to his development.

That means that by 2012, Watts will have a bigger body, 2 preseasons under his belt, and have 37 games experience!

Compare that to say a Gumbleton, who was pick 2 and has been ravaged by injuries. He is now 22, and b/c he hasn't been able to play, this year is like his first year of development at AFL level. As expected, he has started slowly, learning how to cope with the pace on AFL footy. His first 2-3 games at senior level were embarrassing. BUT, this kid was pick number 2 for a reason. He's immensely talented, and after only 5 games he is already improving dramatically. After 37 games, and another couple of years of senior footy, he will be able to significantly impact of games regularly! But, he'll only be doing this at aged 24, b/c injuries have held him back.

We are in a perfect position to play Watts no matter what. We aren't going to make finals this year (probably come 10thish or something). There is no huge pressure to win. We are still in developmental mode.

We have such an incredible opportunity to play Watts early in his career and fast track his development.

I guarantee you that a Watts of 37 games experience will have a much greater impact on AFL games that a Jack Watts of 10 games experience.

Get the games into the boys. Get them playing together as a group. and success will come. Holding him back will only delay Watts' ability to dominate AFL games.

I think not playing JW is a little short sighted and not where the FD are heading at the moment... They still need to get games into these guys which means playing them at Senior Level... Martin could easily make way for JW as the tall fwd.

Out foward line is playing well but the players people are talking about including don't play the same positions... We could do anything this season but lets not lose focus of the bigger picture and that is building a team for the future

PS- i don't believe that Watts could easily be replaced with Martin. Martin is a strong body that is critical for a medium sized forwards. If Jack Watts plays it will be as a high half forward, winger who plays occasionally in the forward pocket. He doesn't have the body to crash packs and provide a proper contest yet

I agree that it is short-sighted to not be looking to play Watts as much as possible. Playing Watts for 15 games this season, and then 22 games next season, will be invaluable to his development.

That means that by 2012, Watts will have a bigger body, 2 preseasons under his belt, and have 37 games experience!

Compare that to say a Gumbleton, who was pick 2 and has been ravaged by injuries. He is now 22, and b/c he hasn't been able to play, this year is like his first year of development at AFL level. As expected, he has started slowly, learning how to cope with the pace on AFL footy. His first 2-3 games at senior level were embarrassing. BUT, this kid was pick number 2 for a reason. He's immensely talented, and after only 5 games he is already improving dramatically. After 37 games, and another couple of years of senior footy, he will be able to significantly impact of games regularly! But, he'll only be doing this at aged 24, b/c injuries have held him back.

We are in a perfect position to play Watts no matter what. We aren't going to make finals this year (probably come 10thish or something). There is no huge pressure to win. We are still in developmental mode.

We have such an incredible opportunity to play Watts early in his career and fast track his development.

I guarantee you that a Watts of 37 games experience will have a much greater impact on AFL games that a Jack Watts of 10 games experience.

Get the games into the boys. Get them playing together as a group. and success will come. Holding him back will only delay Watts' ability to dominate AFL games.

Well put. Agree 100%

We are now finals contenders and we have no room in the real stuff for players to learn on the job.

Can't have that mate. I agree that Watts needs to be ready to come in, but we can't fall into the trap of not developing players for the sake of very short term gains. ND did this and we are only starting to recover from the policy now.

I am confident based on what I've seen from the footy department thus far, that they'll continue to give the young blokes plenty of opportunity, while keeping the team somewhat balanced with experience.

I think Rohan Bail is going to be a great player for us, and I was disappointed he went out. Can't wait for his return. Funny though, that he gave barely a yelp for Casey and was lucky to be promoted. Now look how he's improved from that chance. I predict Watts will get a similar chance when the time is right, and that will probably be before everyone thinks he's earnt that chance. Hopefully he turns out to be similar to Bail, in playing better on the big stage.

How can people be so stupid? And why do people think they know better than the professionals that are paid to run our club??

I think its pretty obvious from what is happening that they are trying to get his body up to scratch, not so he is ready to dominate AFL level, but simply so his body will hold up to the demands of AFL footy. He has broken down pre season with back soreness due to doing too much, they have openly said his body needs to mature and strengthen. Why would you throw him into AFL footy before he is ready and risk further injury? Much like what has cost Gumbleton the last few seasons. IF anything we should be using Gumbleton as reason why not to throw him in when his body is not up to it, because they break down and miss crucial development time.

Let him have 6 or 7 weeks of solid play in VFL to the point where his body is coping with the demands and pulling up well from week to week. When he is doing that then move him up if they feel he is ready.

Why risk injuries to crucial players just so u can get ur fix?

Stupid stupid post....

MFC are doing a good job developing the team at the moment and im happy to back them in on this issue too.

Don24 have you actually read the thread????

Its not we are suggesting that they need to rush JW straight back into the side but when he gets match fit he should be playing ones to help with his development not waiting (like some have suggested earlier in the thread) until he dominates/three BOG at Casey....

He has played 3 or 4 full games at Casey and that was DB intent before promoting him... I think he will be looked at in the next couple of weeks once they are happy with his fitness....