Tom McNamara

sylvias dukes

Just wondering if anyone else believes that this young fella deserves to be in the side. Was impressive near the end of last season and according to the Herald Sun was our best player for Casey last week. Assuming Newton gets dropeed (which he must) then I feel McNamara could be an inclusion this week or Martin. Nevertheless it is fantastic to see blokes putting pressure on from the reserves something that hasn't occurred whilst Bailey has been developing our young list

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been on his bandwagon for a while now. But I can't see him getting a game at the moment. He'd be behind a few others. Plus he doesn't really fill a gap in the team.

I wonder whether he'd make a decent forward. Don't think he'll crack into our defence. But I see talent there regardless.

Yeah I don't think he's name #23 at this stage, but he's there or thereabouts. He is still very young and there's definite potential there from what I've seen. Would be good for him to get a run in the side at some stage in the year, if he could get 6-8 games in the middle/latter part of the year that would be an ideal chance for him to show what he's got. Right now though I'm not sure he'll get a game for a few weeks. As mentioned, Sylvia comes in this week, Rivers soon (not sure on when), so he will probably have to wait. But BOGs for Casey aren't doing his cause any harm.

Tommy Boy was a real bright spot last season. Seems to have put in the hard yards at Casey and will be on the selectors table soon enough.

With so many kids pressing for selection the heat will be on those not performing. It is a nice position to be in when your young players are banging on the door for selection.

Tommy will be in soon enough.

Looks like he is being groomed as a utility to me. Just like Cam Bruce.

Who knows, perhaps in a season or two it could simply be a case of a straight swap.

I loved his work for Casey last year and hope he keeps pressing for selection to keep the selected 22 on their toes.

Go Dees

Not sure if anyone clocked Dean Bailey after the match campaigning for the extended interchange / substitutions, despite the fact not having one helped our team win?

I think he'll continue to do this and it will be a calculated move as we don't just have some serious young talent, but we have lots of it and depth will be one of our great strengths going forward. The longer the bench, the more quality players we can squeeze into the game.

Edited by Enforcer25

This is the ugly side of having a settled defence. Yes, we get to see Frawley, Warnock and Garland in full flight... but then, where do you put TMac? Rivers will likely come in for Garland if he's healed up. And if they want, they could keep all four, and Tommy still misses out.

Any chance any of these guys could go forward? Given our start to the season, and the scoreline, we could use a couple of targets.

This is the ugly side of having a settled defence. Yes, we get to see Frawley, Warnock and Garland in full flight... but then, where do you put TMac? Rivers will likely come in for Garland if he's healed up. And if they want, they could keep all four, and Tommy still misses out.

Why in out right mind would Rivers come in for Garland? Someone please explain to me who Rivers match up is this week? Rivers for mine is not an automatic selection in the side. He is a great reader of the play and third man up but he offers no flexibility in match ups unlike Garland, Frawley and Joel Mc and cannot play on the gorilla's like Warnock. I dont understand why people think he is. And if anyone quotes he won the rising star I will bring up my breakfast.

Why in out right mind would Rivers come in for Garland? Someone please explain to me who Rivers match up is this week? Rivers for mine is not an automatic selection in the side. He is a great reader of the play and third man up but he offers no flexibility in match ups unlike Garland, Frawley and Joel Mc and cannot play on the gorilla's like Warnock. I dont understand why people think he is. And if anyone quotes he won the rising star I will bring up my breakfast.

Agree.

And it would be good for those that also state that Cheney and McNamara deserve a spot. Barring injuries or suspensions can someone give a plausible explanation as to how? And if they do come in what types of players do they match up on?

Let's not get carried away, we have won one against a depleted side that is winless for the year and we got beat by a point in another. We are on the improve but we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves. Players lose form during the year and the younger ones in particular tire as the season progresses so we will need all our depth; players will get the opportunity to show what they are worth.

Tommy Mac is a good hard player and will get a game soon I'm sure, but he may have to wait until there is the right match up.

Looks like he is being groomed as a utility to me. Just like Cam Bruce.

Who knows, perhaps in a season or two it could simply be a case of a straight swap.

I loved his work for Casey last year and hope he keeps pressing for selection to keep the selected 22 on their toes.

Go Dees

I agree but in the meantime he could make a very good wingman.

I didn't realise you could have too many good sized, mobile, courageous, strong marking, excellent play readers in a backline.

Richmonds starting forwardline last week was as follows:

HF: Ben Cousins, Jack Riewoldt, Mitch Morton

F: Ben Nason, Jayden Post, Richard Tambling

Can you advise who Rivers would play on?

Rivers to Riewoldt. Frawley to Morton. Warnock to Post. Garland to Nason. Bartram to Tambling. Grimes to Cousins.

Doesn't seem that hard.

And Bruce goes where?

I think Riewoldt will be too quick for Rivers.

Garland to Riewoldt and Bruce to Nason.

You are right. Its easy.

"He won the rising star."

And Bruce goes where?

I think Riewoldt will be too quick for Rivers.

Garland to Riewoldt and Bruce to Nason.

You are right. Its easy.

Not sure if Riewoldt is too quick for Rivers. He isn't as slow as many make him out to be.

Bruce doesn't have to play defence if we don't need him there. Stupid comment.

It's just an opinion mate. I didn't think as much of Garland's game as some. I know it was him at nowhere near his ability, and it looked to me like he was short of a gallop. Rivers was in very good form before he got hurt, and has had a sparkling pre-season.

You wanna have a discussion about why "in our right minds" Rivers would come in? He's a sensational footballer curtailed by injury. He's not in the leadership group for nothing, and I think he's important to the side.

Yes we've done well in defence these last two weeks, and that certainly doesn't work in his favour, but I think he has the runs on the board. But that's just me.

Sylvia is the bigger one for mine. We're in desperate need of a marking forward who's hard at it, solid hands and can kick goals at long range. Given how our defence is rebounding, and how our midfield is holding its own under Jamar, Sylvia could make us a 4 goal better side.

This discussion has gone way off topic, for my two bob's worth, as I noted before, McNamara is only young (he only turns 20 at the end of this month) and he has had a growth spurt and has developed physically, better than the Club probably thought, I think unless there is an injury he will spend most of the season in the VFL getting consistency into his game, they are probably looking at him as a backup for Frawley....may get rewarded with a few runs to check his progress at the end of the season

I went and saw Tommy Mac play on Saturday night and thought he looked like a VFL player at this stage, but nothing more. He will definitely continue to develop though, which will be good for the future.

The problem with his position is that we would have to drop someone else to bring him in, which should not happen with the current group. Their efforts should be rewarded by holding their place in the side.

At T-Mac's size being 6 years younger than Warnock and Rivers there is definitely an opportunity for him to work his way into the team over the years. A spot on the list isn't justified only by next weekend's game. Who knows where any of these players might be in 2-3 years time. Players outside of the Top 22 aren't just "depth" players or "project" players. Genuine competition for spots is what makes great teams. It's awesome that we've got young players like Tommy, Kyle, Addam etc performing at VFL level and pushing their case for AFL games. We've already seen these guys show glimpses at the top level and we will see more from them in years to come.

Exciting stuff.