Where are Jack Watts and Colin Garland

2014-Flag

No wonder you ask why? Garland compared with Nicho. I cant recall any time in his last 15 games that he played up forward at all. He was bloody good up back. You might have been looking at the wrong half of the ground. :blink:

What did he do that was good? Did anything in particular stick in your mind? Maybe if you give some specifics, you can change his opinion. Just saying "he was bloody good" isn't going to convince anyone of anything.

The club knows its players and rates Garland very highly. The same sort of rating that was given to likes of Mckenzie and Grimes before many others, yours truly included, knew what the fuss was all about. It is for that reason and his form in 2008 that I am eagerly looking forward to Garland's return. Those in the know say he is a walk up start for our best 22.

What did he do that was good? Did anything in particular stick in your mind? Maybe if you give some specifics, you can change his opinion. Just saying "he was bloody good" isn't going to convince anyone of anything.

You too?? Good grief. :blink:

Tell me... What do you think of Jack Grimes?

Garland has played more games and been quite impressive in them. Equally so, imho.

In the space of 2 weeks Garland managed to keep Jeff Farmer to 1 goal and a white hot Buddy Franklin to 3 goals in May 2008. How's that for flexibility! He hadn't even played 10 games at that stage.

Plus he kicked 3 goals in a NAB CUP game V Geelong to add an extra string to his bow.

He'll be a solid player for the footy club and hope to see him kick on in the second half of the season.

You too?? Good grief. :blink:

You don't need to convince me. You need to convince him. I think he's good. But the question remains. Can you, who seems to think that anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about, give examples of why Garland is good. Does anything stick in your mind that you can point to? Do you have any stats? Anything other than a googly-eyed devil face would do.

Edited by Chook

Nice sig.

Taking the [censored] out of anyone in particular..?

hahah sorry mate, definately not taking the [censored] at all- I was inspired by your sig when I decided I had to change that last joke of a sig I had. I can change it if it makes you feel a little uncomfortable bud..

Tell me... What do you think of Jack Grimes?

Garland has played more games and been quite impressive in them. Equally so, imho.

I'm not talking about Grimes, but I'd like to point you to my Best Six from yesterday's game, in which Grimes was my third best afield. I think Grimes' defensive pressure and rebound from the back half was second only to Aaron Davey in terms of the number of scoring opportunities it created yesterday - somewhere in the vicinity of twenty possessions that led directly to the ball either leaving our back half or entering our forward fifty. Three of these possessions directly resulted in goals. But he was not without errors. He was responsible for four turnovers that resulted in either the ball leaving our f50 or entering our d50. Two of these errors directly resulted in goals being scored against us.

In the space of 2 weeks Garland managed to keep Jeff Farmer to 1 goal and a white hot Buddy Franklin to 3 goals in May 2008. How's that for flexibility! He hadn't even played 10 games at that stage.

Plus he kicked 3 goals in a NAB CUP game V Geelong to add an extra string to his bow.

He'll be a solid player for the footy club and hope to see him kick on in the second half of the season.

Excellent post. That's just the kind of thing that can change a person's opinion.

Edited by Chook

Hate to be a bit negative, but I really don't understand why everyone here seems to rate Garland so highly. I mean, he played some decent games in defence for us, but so do a lot of guys. So did Alistair Nicholson at one stage! And any time I've seen him play up forward he's had no impact at all.

So why the massive wraps?

You are kidding?

Lightning quick, an elite kick, balanced, reads the play well and ultra competitive.

Do you also wonder why there are massive wraps on Grimes?

No disrespect meant for De La Salle but I don't think Melbourne and the Casey Scorpions were ever going to load up the Casey team with AFL listed players. It wasn't a high profile practice game but more of a final hit out before their season openers.

For starters, with the game being played on Thursday night and Melbourne playing on the Saturday, the three emergencies wouldn't play so that eliminates Clint Bartram, Jordan Gysberts and Brad Miller. The club also decided in it's wisdom that Colin Garland and Jack Watts would be better off doing training with Melbourne on Friday morning rather than in the practice match.

This left a few players who needed a run after coming back from long lay offs (e.g Sam Blease and PJ) and those who need to continue playing competitive footy because they remain on the fringe of selection (e.g Kyle Cheney and Stef Martin).

Sounds like good planning. No problem with that.

hahah sorry mate, definately not taking the [censored] at all- I was inspired by your sig when I decided I had to change that last joke of a sig I had. I can change it if it makes you feel a little uncomfortable bud..

Nah, I liked it before it even occurred to me that my sig was the same format!

Gotta change it anyway cos the 'Best Available' is hardly relevant now the draft is well & truly over.

No disrespect meant for De La Salle but I don't think Melbourne and the Casey Scorpions were ever going to load up the Casey team with AFL listed players.

What he said ...

Yeah, I knew about the couple of great games in defence he played- I was at one of them, I think. But I still got the feeling it was maybe a bit of a flash in the pan, and wondering if he truly had the mindset to make a good long term defender. I can remember Miller keeping Barry Hall goalless once, and people thought we'd found a gun new centre half back!

3 goals in the NAB cup is OK too, if not incredible. And... to an extent, I do think the club rating him is meaningful. But the post I quoted called him 'one of our very best'.

Just don't pin too much hope on the guy is all I'm saying. That's what Wattsy is for ;)

No disrespect meant for De La Salle but I don't think Melbourne and the Casey Scorpions were ever going to load up the Casey team with AFL listed players. It wasn't a high profile practice game but more of a final hit out before their season openers.

For starters, with the game being played on Thursday night and Melbourne playing on the Saturday, the three emergencies wouldn't play so that eliminates Clint Bartram, Jordan Gysberts and Brad Miller. The club also decided in it's wisdom that Colin Garland and Jack Watts would be better off doing training with Melbourne on Friday morning rather than in the practice match.

This left a few players who needed a run after coming back from long lay offs (e.g Sam Blease and PJ) and those who need to continue playing competitive footy because they remain on the fringe of selection (e.g Kyle Cheney and Stef Martin).

very well put and my thoughts concur with everything you said