Where are Jack Watts and Colin Garland

2014-Flag

I understand both Watts and Garland were "no shows" for Casey against De La Salle the other night. I thought the club announced they would play in this game. Are the injuries worse than has been revealed?

Cameron Schwab said on ABC Radio yesterday that they are expecting between 10 and 15 games out of Watts this year. Why is the progress so painfully slow in his rehabilitation?

I understand both Watts and Garland were "no shows" for Casey against De La Salle the other night. I thought the club announced they would play in this game. Are the injuries worse than has been revealed?

Cameron Schwab said on ABC Radio yesterday that they are expecting between 10 and 15 games out of Watts this year. Why is the progress so painfully slow in his rehabilitation?

Because he's 19 years old and learning to play key position. See Luke Ball for lessons in "how not to completely stuff a player's body up" The issue isn't in managing Jack or Colin, it's in managing your expectations about when they'll be ready.

I assume because of their interrupted pre-season they are now in the middle of a mini-preseason now, resting them between scratch matches etc like they do with most players during NAB cup. But yeah it would be great if the club would actually tell us what was going on so we dont have to cook up these reasons in our heads.

I assume because of their interrupted pre-season they are now in the middle of a mini-preseason now, resting them between scratch matches etc like they do with most players during NAB cup. But yeah it would be great if the club would actually tell us what was going on so we dont have to cook up these reasons in our heads.

Maybe if you didnt cook these odd reasons in your heads. :unsure: Shame on the club for making you do that.

Maybe if you didnt cook these odd reasons in your heads. :unsure: Shame on the club for making you do that.

You can't tell us you don't want to know what's going on with 2 of our very best players.

Guest watts04

Would be nice to know where they are at......

Will be good to see Wona, Jurrah, Sylvia, Morton, Garland, Blease all in the one team together

Pipfitter, I'd assume that the players picked for the casey scratchmatch were ones to suit both the Casey team & also ones whom needed the run in their legs & are ready to go as soon as their up to speed.

Watts & Garland are both I believe on conservative fitness approaches because of their recent issues.

You can't tell us you don't want to know what's going on with 2 of our very best players.

I dont have to jump to unreasonable and unfounded speculation. They are both in the rehab/revcovery process and they wont be rushed. That's in the public domain.

I dont have to jump to unreasonable and unfounded speculation. They are both in the rehab/revcovery process and they wont be rushed. That's in the public domain.

G'day Tim, did you see the game Thursday.

If so how do you think Cheney played?

But I'm a member and therefore a stakeholder and have the right to be told what Jack Watts had for breakfast this morning. Furthermore, did he have an Easter Egg Hunt in his backyard and did he eat any of the chocolate?? Did the club nutrionist give that the all clear?? Has Jack had any unusual bowel movements lately???

I HAVE A RIGHT!!!!

But I'm a member and therefore a stakeholder and have the right to be told what Jack Watts had for breakfast this morning. Furthermore, did he have an Easter Egg Hunt in his backyard and did he eat any of the chocolate?? Did the club nutrionist give that the all clear?? Has Jack had any unusual bowel movements lately???

I HAVE A RIGHT!!!!

HaHaHa!! First laugh for the day.... B)

Pipfitter, I'd assume that the players picked for the casey scratchmatch were ones to suit both the Casey team & also ones whom needed the run in their legs & are ready to go as soon as their up to speed.

I assumed the opposite .... that the players who were closest to being ready were NOT played at Casey, and that the players in the scratch match were the ones furthest away.

Having Watts, Garland, Gysberts and co in/amongst the main team and training with them through this period was maybe more important in the longer term than sending them to play a (meaningless?) scratch match against an Amateurs side.

I would imagine that they'll all turn out for Casey this week, and then be considered for senior selection ... if they earn their places.

However, this weekend, Casey play Saturday night while we play Sunday, so would imagine that any emergencies that don't make it into the seniors, will miss playing.

B

People need to relax...

The hysteria over rushing them back...

The season is a marathon there will be plenty of time later we will want them back at peak fitness.

Clearly at the moment they are not or they would be playing...patience required!

Inner Demon - buying a membership still doesnt give you the right to club info. Simple as that. It simply doesnt.

No you are awesome Inner Demon....

Why do you think a membership gives you that right?

I think it's that "I pay your salary" crap some people have a habit of spouting every time they're mad about something.

correct chook.....gives me the s#$ts as it is no ones business but the player and the club....

as a paid up member i would rather they keep me in the dark totally if it meant doing the right thing for the club and the players...

Just because you pay a membership doesnt make you a part owner...

Trust the club and judge it on its performances...not on whether they need to inform you of everything that goes on...

I assumed the opposite .... that the players who were closest to being ready were NOT played at Casey, and that the players in the scratch match were the ones furthest away.

Having Watts, Garland, Gysberts and co in/amongst the main team and training with them through this period was maybe more important in the longer term than sending them to play a (meaningless?) scratch match against an Amateurs side.

I would imagine that they'll all turn out for Casey this week, and then be considered for senior selection ... if they earn their places.

However, this weekend, Casey play Saturday night while we play Sunday, so would imagine that any emergencies that don't make it into the seniors, will miss playing.

B

Next week is Rnd1 for the VFL season opener, Caseys game is a twilight fixture, they have many new faces in that team who have played little together.

So, I assume that the game was for the players to have a chance playing under lights, & also another low pressure hit out to smooth out some teamwork.

At the same time it would suit Melbournes interests to take the advantage to get some more miles into the legs of players who are close to a call up @ AFL, which is allready rolling & don't need a week off.

I was hoping to see Garland & Watts, disappointed not to, but on reflection can now understand the clubs approach.

Its to do with both a conservative approach for those coming back from injury, but also, IMO, to maintain the timeframe needed to give so many recruits enough games before being replaced.

The difficulty for the club @ selection it seems to me, is to get enough kids, enough games this season. Whilst still keeping the ray of hope in the team as it evolves.

One of our very best players and one unproven player who may or may not be be very good.

Who is who in this post? I'm assuming 'one of our very best' is referring to Colin Garland?

Hate to be a bit negative, but I really don't understand why everyone here seems to rate Garland so highly. I mean, he played some decent games in defence for us, but so do a lot of guys. So did Alistair Nicholson at one stage! And any time I've seen him play up forward he's had no impact at all.

So why the massive wraps?

I HAVE A RIGHT!!!!

Very good inner demon.

I recommend focussing on the part where I seem to insist on learning information about a player's bowel movements.

Now where is the sarcasm font again? :)

Who is who in this post? I'm assuming 'one of our very best' is referring to Colin Garland?

Hate to be a bit negative, but I really don't understand why everyone here seems to rate Garland so highly. I mean, he played some decent games in defence for us, but so do a lot of guys. So did Alistair Nicholson at one stage! And any time I've seen him play up forward he's had no impact at all.

So why the massive wraps?

I've wondered that myself