Daniel Hughes?

The Great One 99

Read this on AFL website:

Despite Melbourne's injury woes, there is some good news for rookie Daniel Hughes, who has battled injury during his time at the club. The talented forward has been named in the NAB Challenge squad.

"We don't know if he'll make the final team yet - final selection is tomorrow - but he's in the squad and he's under consideration," O'Donnell said.

"He's a great story, because he's had three years of injury frustration and he's finally getting back near full fitness and we're pretty keen to have a look at him."

Truth, I haven't really seen a lot of him. Does anyone think that he has the goods to maybe step up?

Despite Melbourne's injury woes, there is some good news for rookie Daniel Hughes, who has battled injury during his time at the club. The talented forward has been named in the NAB Challenge squad.

"We don't know if he'll make the final team yet - final selection is tomorrow - but he's in the squad and he's under consideration," O'Donnell said.

"He's a great story, because he's had three years of injury frustration and he's finally getting back near full fitness and we're pretty keen to have a look at him."

Truth, I haven't really seen a lot of him. Does anyone think that he has the goods to maybe step up?

No. He occasionally does the freakish but i have never seen him tear a VFL game apart let alone expect him to have an impact in an AFL one.

No. He occasionally does the freakish but i have never seen him tear a VFL game apart let alone expect him to have an impact in an AFL one.

2010 could well be the year he shows us what he can do..bet he has wanted to play on the MCG for a long time.

Hope he kicks as long as D Hughes of 20 years ago!!

He kicked 4 In Casey game last year. Takes a good grab for mid sized forward, I thought he looked ok and showed promise at times. Will be interesting to see how he goes.

Bit like Robbo in how he plays but not sure he is in the same league.

Hopefully he is. Might be the begining a new career. Well done Hughesy

Injury has been a constant concern, but if he can get his body right, and his confidence up, he just might surprise a few people. I'm not sure he has exactly torn VFL games apart, but he had some very good games for Sandy between extended injury breaks. Our Footy Dept. obviously think he has something to offer at the top level, or he would no longer be on our list. Clearly on his last chance, but don't write him off just yet.

Bit like Robbo in how he plays but not sure he is in the same league.

Hopefully he is. Might be the begining a new career. Well done Hughesy

Come on guys you must be kidding. Is this now 3 or 4 years on the list without playing a game.

Having Hughes on our Rookie list meant we could not take a punt on a number of potential talents including Grimes junior.

Are we a footy club or a benevolent society.

A few years back, down @ Sandy when we recruited this kid, I think as a rookie, I could see the raw athletic attributes that I thought the club must have liked in order to recruit him. I thought at the time, possible replacement for Robbo when Robbo finishes

I also saw similar things I liked in a young M Warnock.

I think D Hughes has good speed & leap, great hands & athletic, but he's been around a while now & its all in the lap of the gods, & his efforts.

I say good luck to him.

Edited by dee-luded

Having Hughes on our Rookie list meant we could not take a punt on a number of potential talents including Grimes junior.

No. It means we couldn't take a punt on yet another 'project player'.

Grimes was gone by the time the rookie draft happened.

The FD obviously think that it is more worthwhile seeing where 3-4 years of development has got Hughes, rather than taking a punt on an overrated 17-year old (e.g. Temel, Daw), and frankly, I concur with their judgement.

Daniel Hughes seems to be one of thoughs players, that just manages to stick around.

This would definateley be his last chance at AFL level.

Who knows he might just be another rookie gem for the MFC, we've had a few.

Current Rookie Gems for the MFC: Davey, Aussie, Mckenzie, Spencer, McDonald?. :unsure:

Come on guys you must be kidding. Is this now 3 or 4 years on the list without playing a game.

Are we a footy club or a benevolent society.

Actually I think that's a well held, but not entirely true sum up there.

In his first stint as a rookie, he was among the Neville/Neaves group from memory. I remember Newaves actually showed a fair bit as a player, but looked to be a bit slow and a bit too short, so he was let go. I remember at the time thinking that it was just a matter of time until hughes got his opportunity. He's certainly gifted and has a skill set that translates quite well to AFL. His problem was, and is, size. He's a Morton type of body unfortunately. So in truth, it's really a case of him being given a WHOLE lot of time to basically get use to the big hits.

I remember the year he was let go he suffered a really terrible injury that basically meant he was out for a season, when it looked likely he would get a go at some point. I think he may have even played in our first NAB cup match that year (Hawks perhaps?) and kicked a small bag, though that could be exaggerated. I do recall thinking he was definitely worth pursuing, and was surprised that he wasn't retained. I reckon most thought that his NAB cup game flattered him, and gave the coaches the benefit of the doubt as they deal with him pretty close. I was MUCH more surprised to see him picked up again, but only because so many rookies fall by the wayside.

There's no doubt that in terms of skill he's got the goods. Add to that the fact I've seen him play mostly forward, and I reckon at his age he would be Newton's main rival for getting a spot in the side. Like most people, I'm not going to come out and say he's a certainty to be the next Aaron Davey/Robbo/Junior... but there's certainly no reason to think he automatically won't. Would be nice to have another weapon up forward that we can consider. And he's of a good age now. Unlike some of our other good young players he's coming into his prime age as a footballer.

Good luck to the kid. Any success he sees should be applauded. Both for him and for the club for persevering.

We've well and truly seen what Newton is and isn't capable of. Lets hope Hughes can put in a few good performances to earn an elevation on the list. Seems to have more upside than Newton. Well anyone does really.

I can't help myself here, but that is a stupid comment. Newton has his issues but lack of upside is not one of them. He can do more freakish stuff than nearly anyone in the AFL. It is fine to have an opinion that his downsides outweight the upsides but to state that "Anyone" has more upside is downright foolish

I can't help myself here, but that is a stupid comment. Newton has his issues but lack of upside is not one of them. He can do more freakish stuff than nearly anyone in the AFL. It is fine to have an opinion that his downsides outweight the upsides but to state that "Anyone" has more upside is downright foolish

i would just like to say...that we have the same name

:)

I have seen nothing in Newton except his mark of the year.

He is lazy, doesn't run, is poor below his knees, gets knocked off the ball to easily and has missed countless sitters close to goal. Had he kicked those goals (some really important ones too in the context of the game that was being played) then MAYBE he might have been worth persevering with.

I agree with GMs comments.

You have your upside and downside upside down, in the case of Newton; or are you talking about the genius Isaac Newton, who knew all about gravity? Our Newton has defied it only once, freakishly, in a freakishly underwhelming career.

Actually I think that's a well held, but not entirely true sum up there.

In his first stint as a rookie, he was among the Neville/Neaves group from memory. I remember Newaves actually showed a fair bit as a player, but looked to be a bit slow and a bit too short, so he was let go. I remember at the time thinking that it was just a matter of time until hughes got his opportunity. He's certainly gifted and has a skill set that translates quite well to AFL. His problem was, and is, size. He's a Morton type of body unfortunately. So in truth, it's really a case of him being given a WHOLE lot of time to basically get use to the big hits.

I remember the year he was let go he suffered a really terrible injury that basically meant he was out for a season, when it looked likely he would get a go at some point. I think he may have even played in our first NAB cup match that year (Hawks perhaps?) and kicked a small bag, though that could be exaggerated. I do recall thinking he was definitely worth pursuing, and was surprised that he wasn't retained. I reckon most thought that his NAB cup game flattered him, and gave the coaches the benefit of the doubt as they deal with him pretty close. I was MUCH more surprised to see him picked up again, but only because so many rookies fall by the wayside.

There's no doubt that in terms of skill he's got the goods. Add to that the fact I've seen him play mostly forward, and I reckon at his age he would be Newton's main rival for getting a spot in the side. Like most people, I'm not going to come out and say he's a certainty to be the next Aaron Davey/Robbo/Junior... but there's certainly no reason to think he automatically won't. Would be nice to have another weapon up forward that we can consider. And he's of a good age now. Unlike some of our other good young players he's coming into his prime age as a footballer.

Good luck to the kid. Any success he sees should be applauded. Both for him and for the club for persevering.

Beautifully summarised Dappa.

I have seen nothing in Newton except his mark of the year.

He is lazy, doesn't run, is poor below his knees, gets knocked off the ball to easily and has missed countless sitters close to goal. Had he kicked those goals (some really important ones too in the context of the game that was being played) then MAYBE he might have been worth persevering with.

I agree with GMs comments.

Which one? :D

There were those of us that were Juice devotees back in his Sandy days. If people are worried about the fact Hughes hasn't dominated a game at VFL level, then they shouldn't have the same reservations about Newton. He dominated quite a few games back in the season before he started playing games for the dees. He may not have done much at AFL level, but had you seen him at Trevor Barker, you'd be eating your words. He was sensational, and looked a monty to make the translation.

Beautifully summarised Dappa.

Ta.