Jack Watts

hrob

If I worked for the Footy Department, and Watts wasn't ready, I'd have made some plans to fix our forward line prior to this season without him in the picture. Why didn't we recruit a forward? I can accept that Watts isn't ready, but when are any players ever ready. Surely, he can't be the only 19 year old whose bones are still growing that can't play.

The Difference is Jack is going to be a Big Boy-but he is not there yet.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I worked for the Footy Department, and Watts wasn't ready, I'd have made some plans to fix our forward line prior to this season without him in the picture. Why didn't we recruit a forward? I can accept that Watts isn't ready, but when are any players ever ready. Surely, he can't be the only 19 year old whose bones are still growing that can't play.

if we were concerned with the present and were considering recruiting a mature age forward to win games this year we would have kept Robbo.whilst many of us would have liked this in some ways it would not have built our future. The club has done the right thing here, and injuries to lj and the slow injury injuiced progressof jack watts as well as slow recovery progress of Garland has beenjust unlucky. We do thoughhave some interesting replacements in Dunn and very soon Garland, and even give some game time to fitzpatrick if he shows any potential at Casey. My only area where I think we might have done better is the retention of Newton. ithinkhe is a wasted space and we possibly may have gotbetter value out of robbo mentoring the younger forwards as well as some goals out of him.

In hindsight they may well have done this, but as we all know hindsight is a wonderful thing. Also, do we really know the seriousness of robbos injury recovery.

Lets toss the baby out with the bath water.

Why should an injury to Jurrah compromise the development plans for another young player? Nuts.

Watts role and development path was never dependent upon the fitness of Jurrah.

Its not a matter of hiding Watts at all.

Agree- totally concur. Ridiculous to rush Watts. We will try others to cover LJ such as Dunn.Actually, I do not mind if Watts plays a limited amount this year at Melbourne. LJ's injury shows me that Bails is doing exactly what he should be with Watts. LJ's body was not right for senior football.Some ape would have crunched his slight body sometime.Someone would have done the same to Jack.Bails gave him a taste last year, let him finalise his schooling and now time to get his body right for AFL football. But if it is the case he develops at Casey by getting fit, confident etc.. I am extremely happy with that-we do not want to rush him- no way.

Agree- totally concur. Ridiculous to rush Watts. We will try others to cover LJ such as Dunn.Actually, I do not mind if Watts plays a limited amount this year at Melbourne. LJ's injury shows me that Bails is doing exactly what he should be with Watts. LJ's body was not right for senior football.Some ape would have crunched his slight body sometime.Someone would have done the same to Jack.Bails gave him a taste last year, let him finalise his schooling and now time to get his body right for AFL football. But if it is the case he develops at Casey by getting fit, confident etc.. I am extremely happy with that-we do not want to rush him- no way.

Couldn't agree more jcb!

Edited by Deeoldfart

if we were concerned with the present and were considering recruiting a mature age forward to win games this year we would have kept Robbo.whilst many of us would have liked this in some ways it would not have built our future. The club has done the right thing here, and injuries to lj and the slow injury injuiced progressof jack watts as well as slow recovery progress of Garland has beenjust unlucky. We do thoughhave some interesting replacements in Dunn and very soon Garland, and even give some game time to fitzpatrick if he shows any potential at Casey. My only area where I think we might have done better is the retention of Newton. ithinkhe is a wasted space and we possibly may have gotbetter value out of robbo mentoring the younger forwards as well as some goals out of him.

Here, here, I would have paid Newton out and kept Robbo and not worried about our last pick or delisted Bartum.

LJ could do with developing his body a bit more, but I still think he was fine to play senior footy, considering the role he played.

if watts is fit...he needs to be played at the AFL level. it's an obvious part of his development.

afl games will help teach him what he needs to learn by playing at casey when dropped (etc... )

Edited by disco_demon

Here, here, I would have paid Newton out and kept Robbo and not worried about our last pick or delisted Bartum.

I dont think that was what your brother Flag was saying. I am not sure I would have been keen to retain a forward that was past his use by date and that in the PSD was overlooked by the other 15 clubs. Hmmm.

It is always easy in hindsight, now that we have some injuries.

We need to give others opportunities, and Robbo would have helped us, but will not be required when we are back at the top.

Hopefully the years we get into Bate, Watts and all the other younger KP players will help us in a couple of years.

On a side note, I was talking to someone at the Melbourne v Essendon game, who is close friends with Jack. He said that he expected to play by early in the year, and was hoping to play over 10 games for the year. He was also finding it amusing all the comparisons between him and Nic Natunui, despite the fact he has hardly played.

if watts is fit...he needs to be played at the AFL level. it's an obvious part of his development.

afl games will help teach him what he needs to learn by playing at casey when dropped (etc... )

Totally agree. If he is fit this is not a time to protect him as tough he is some delicate flower. Games are what he needs. From what my info says from inside the club he is the last to expect to be protected. For all his private school charm , and leadershipo ability, my understanding is he is incredibly competitive and raring to go after them.

Dare I say it, David Neitz mark 11. And I can't think of a better tribute. Let'a hope so anyway.

Only problem with that was that Robbo was a very selfish football player by the end of his career.

I've read many posts over the past few days with interest.

LJ is a huge loss in terms of his development BUT the expectation of what LJ

might have been capable of this year is insane. He has played 9 games! He is NOT a champion

nor a STAR yet... We all hope he will be one day.

Ease up. The weight of expectation is a scary thing.

Cast you minds forward.

The year is 2012 The Young Demons have recovered their season after losing the first 5. They now stand 5-5 after beating heavyweights West Coast away, Hawthorn at home and Adelaide away in the last 3 weeks and The Queeen's Birthday round is upon us. It turns out to be a beautiful day and 81,987 people show up to watch ladder leaders Collingwood play Melbourne who sit in 8th spot. The games tight but in the second half Jack Watts finally comes of age, reeling in 12 marks, kicking 7 goals and having his way with 3 opponents, often at the same time. (Think football) Newspapers call it "The best 2nd half of football since Carey" Herald Sun reporters, along with Bring back Powell, Hillie and agent orange are left red faced and are last seen scolding themselves for making silly comments regarding Watts in the past.

It might not happen exactly like this but it will happen. Patience Grasshopper

Cast you minds forward.

The year is 2012 The Young Demons have recovered their season after losing the first 5. They now stand 5-5 after beating heavyweights West Coast away, Hawthorn at home and Adelaide away in the last 3 weeks and The Queeen's Birthday round is upon us. It turns out to be a beautiful day and 81,987 people show up to watch ladder leaders Collingwood play Melbourne who sit in 8th spot. The games tight but in the second half Jack Watts finally comes of age, reeling in 12 marks, kicking 7 goals and having his way with 3 opponents, often at the same time. (Think football) Newspapers call it "The best 2nd half of football since Carey" Herald Sun reporters, along with Bring back Powell, Hillie and agent orange are left red faced and are last seen scolding themselves for making silly comments regarding Watts in the past.

81 Thousand ? The Filth never show up on QB, We have out numbered them three years running.

Cast you minds forward.

Beautiful. Bella. I'm sure you are right. The upside is huge and the club is right to be patient. I'm convinced he is an amazing talent, and will be one of the principal leaders of our club for many years to come. It is all about the long term. Some also forget that Natinui is a year older than him which at that age makes a huge difference

Edited by 2014-Flag

Cast you minds forward.

I like it. Let's trot this out after Queen's Birthday 2012. It'll happen, though I suspect before that date.

Cast you minds forward.

jizz.

Great imagination, great story. Loved it... except for the "ladder-leaders Collingwood" bit. Never good.

Easy throw away line.

Since you are willing to put yourself in the shoes of the footy dept, please outline exactly how you would have fixed our forward line for 2010 including the names of players you would have recruited and at whose expense.

Regards

Dan

Not really, any half wit could have seen this problem comming five years ago. Obviously nobody did.

Cast you minds forward.

I like this Post but by 2012 it will be more like League Leaders Melbourne up against 8th spot Collingwood, in front of 99,000+ fans

The Magpies stay in touch till half time until Watts (Charlie) busts the game wide open with his 7 2nd half goals.

By 2012 we will not lose the first 5 games, but the filth just might.

Not really, any half wit could have seen this problem comming five years ago. Obviously nobody did.

That wasn't an answer to the question dude.

You are now the football dept, apparerently run by people who are lesser than half wits, so I am assuming that you have declared yourself more capable than they.

What forwards would you have recruited with the available picks to make us a contender in 2010?

Remember this was your idea to assume the mantle of the football dept.

I like this Post but by 2012 it will be more like League Leaders Melbourne up against 8th spot Collingwood, in front of 99,000+ fans

The Magpies stay in touch till half time until Watts (Charlie) busts the game wide open with his 7 2nd half goals.

By 2012 we will not lose the first 5 games, but the filth just might.

Thanks for correcting my imagination - you're not a private school teacher are you?

Edited by Roost It