8:30 EST start v Freo

DeeSpencer

So it seems our game will start at 8:30pm Melbourne time on Sunday, which I think is just down right rediculous. I understand that Victorian sides often have to travel west in the NAB cup/challenge to compensate WA teams who have a heavy travel burden during the regular season, I also understand that it's best to start games late - ie. 5:30 Perth time to avoid the heat. I don't want our players ending up dehydrated for the sake of the NAB cup. But come on AFL, we're a club trying to attract supporters (especially young supporters) so I don't see why we get hidden away at a time that restricts young viewers and old viewers as well with the game likely to finish after 11pm. Hardly ideal to see Trengove and Scully in action for the first time.

How many parents are going to allow their kids to stay up late when they have school the next day. Plus it is a foxtel game so I don't see a family outing to the local pub as being a popular option. Would a 1 hour earlier start really make a major difference to player welfare? I hope that the management of the club have voiced their concerns over this fixture as it puts us at a disadvantage to the other 15 AFL clubs (the game works out nicely for Freo who last time I checked have a predominantly WA supporter base). I would expect certain advantages in other fixtures and/or financial compensation for this matter.

The only benefit is that at least if we're getting pumped Richmond style it won't attract so much attention!

Yes, it's an annoying schedule. But the AFL want to space out each nab cup game this pre-season, and im a student myself, I definitely know ill be staying up late listening to it on the radio (I dont have foxtel). Sunday night footy is good in a way, footy the night before really puts your mind off school, I remember when Freo played Richmond at the same time last year, so its not new

So it seems our game will start at 8:30pm Melbourne time on Sunday, which I think is just down right rediculous. I understand that Victorian sides often have to travel west in the NAB cup/challenge to compensate WA teams who have a heavy travel burden during the regular season, I also understand that it's best to start games late - ie. 5:30 Perth time to avoid the heat. I don't want our players ending up dehydrated for the sake of the NAB cup. But come on AFL, we're a club trying to attract supporters (especially young supporters) so I don't see why we get hidden away at a time that restricts young viewers and old viewers as well with the game likely to finish after 11pm. Hardly ideal to see Trengove and Scully in action for the first time.

How many parents are going to allow their kids to stay up late when they have school the next day. Plus it is a foxtel game so I don't see a family outing to the local pub as being a popular option. Would a 1 hour earlier start really make a major difference to player welfare? I hope that the management of the club have voiced their concerns over this fixture as it puts us at a disadvantage to the other 15 AFL clubs (the game works out nicely for Freo who last time I checked have a predominantly WA supporter base). I would expect certain advantages in other fixtures and/or financial compensation for this matter.

The only benefit is that at least if we're getting pumped Richmond style it won't attract so much attention!

I see what you're saying, but this is NAB. who cares?

I mean you can blame the AFL, but i wouldn't want to offend them considering the pretty good fixture they have given us this year.

some would argue it is almost as good as collingwoods which is unheard of for melbourne.

I will take this one bad scheduled time, (which i have no dramas watching because there is nothing else on tv anyway) over a s*%^$y year full of badly scheduled times anyday.

Edited by Deelirium

I'm living in Perth now, so I'm really looking forward to going to this game, as I won't get to see many live this year.. And yes, an hour would make a difference...

It's forecast to be 35 on Sunday. By starting an hour earler, you're effectively trading playing half the game at the coolest time between 6.40 - 7.40 for playing half the game at a much hotter time between 4.30 and 5.30...

I don't see it as much as an issue.

Imagine if it were the other way around- we were scheduled a NAB Cup game in Melbourne but had to play in Perth, round 1 of the home and away season on a Sunday night.

Thank your lucky stars we get to play Hawthorn in round 1 at the G and get to keep the gate receipts!

Plus we're guaranteed a game in Melbourne on Feb 27/28 - either at Etihad or Visy!

We get shafted big time regarding free to air games too. Once the real stuff starts we are on Fox for the first 5 rounds (according to an iPhone app I have). Buggered if I am paying for the rubbish on Foxtel - been there, done that before.

I completely disagree. 8:30pm Sunday night is the peak tv watching time for the week. More people will watch the game because it starts at this time not less.

Isn't player welfare the critical issue here? Perth is going to be max 35. It will be close to that when they start to play at 5.30pm. Hopefully they have expanded the benches and packed alot of ice suits

Why play it earlier unless its at 8/9am.

FWIW, I dont why footy is scheduled in WA in Feb/Mar at all.

Take the laptop to bed!! It's rather cool actually!!!

:wacko:

There is a line about floppy drives and hard disks that I will just leave alone. B)

Widescreen 24 inch LCD that can swivel to face the bed, in this age of movies and TV being absolutely free, that's how it's done, son

Exactly how i watched a few finals in Asia last year..Mini Bar very close by

Superb surrounds it was!!

We get shafted big time regarding free to air games too. Once the real stuff starts we are on Fox for the first 5 rounds (according to an iPhone app I have). Buggered if I am paying for the rubbish on Foxtel - been there, done that before.

Rubbish on Foxtel?

They show four games of live footy a week, F-O-U-R games!!

What the Iphone app????

What the Iphone app????

Footy Lite - by the Slattery Media Group - has live score updates for the preseason comp and has the fixture with TV details. Another free one is Aussie Rules Live - looks like being a cracker once round 1 comes around (dont seem to be doing the preseason comp)

I'm living in Perth now, so I'm really looking forward to going to this game, as I won't get to see many live this year.. And yes, an hour would make a difference...

Meh, the Freo doctor is in by mid-afternoon and the temp drops significantly..

EG: Was 34 here in perth today. Its now 3.30pm and its a perfect 29 outside.. the doctor is in!

Isn't player welfare the critical issue here? Perth is going to be max 35. It will be close to that when they start to play at 5.30pm. Hopefully they have expanded the benches and packed alot of ice suits

Why play it earlier unless its at 8/9am.

FWIW, I dont why footy is scheduled in WA in Feb/Mar at all.

Still gets to mid 30s in april.. may sometimes.

Again, 99% of the time Perth has a beautiful natural air-con switch on about mid afternoon.

IMO It'd take more/as much out of you physically, playing in the stuffy melbourne humidity.