We're back ..... for now

Demonland

Hey Guys,

Well we're back after one of the servers that hosts Demonland died. Luckily we were able to save all the data and move to a new temporary server. Over the past few years the hosting of this site has been donated (free) by Nasher and was merely a hobby for him as has running this site been for me.

Sadly all good things must come to an end and it looks like we will either need to move over to a new server or close this site down permanently. Moving to a new server is going to cost me money and extra time and these days I can't really afford to lose either of those things.

I will be shopping around this week for new hosts but unless we can get a good deal this site might have to close it's doors permanently.

I have tried donations in the past but that didn't seem to work.

So hopefully this isn't the end ......

Andy

Hey Guys,

Well we're back after one of the servers that hosts Demonland died. Luckily we were able to save all the data and move to a new temporary server. Over the past few years the hosting of this site has been donated (free) by Nasher and was merely a hobby for him as has running this site been for me.

Sadly all good things must come to an end and it looks like we will either need to move over to a new server or close this site down permanently. Moving to a new server is going to cost me money and extra time and these days I can't really afford to lose either of those things.

I will be shopping around this week for new hosts but unless we can get a good deal this site might have to close it's doors permanently.

I have tried donations in the past but that didn't seem to work.

So hopefully this isn't the end ......

Andy

Pardon my ignorance but when you say you must move to a new server do you mean you need a new server box (computer) or is that the term you use for moving to a new host? If it is purely a new server box, for want of a better term then you can pick one up for not that much and I’m sure that we could raise the cash for that. If it is anything more involved then I’m out of my depth.

Pardon my ignorance but when you say you must move to a new server do you mean you need a new server box (computer) or is that the term you use for moving to a new host? If it is purely a new server box, for want of a better term then you can pick one up for not that much and I'm sure that we could raise the cash for that. If it is anything more involved then I'm out of my depth.

Nasher could probably explain it better than I.

I tried to donate via paypal. But the link on the front page doesn't go anywhere.

Is there another way to get there?

I've tried the same - result, same thing happened. Even re-adjusted my cookie settings to see if that would help, still nothing ?

Would be happy to donate. Although, I'm no expert on server boxes, etc.

Hi Andy. I've been a die-hard Dees fan all my 56 years. I've gained substantial enjoyment from reading the various posts in recent years. As I live on the Gold Coast, I treasure the training updates etc that are provided on your site. I therefore would hate to see its demise.

I do, however, have a possible solution for you. I am part-owner of a webhosting company. I just spoke to the senior partner, and he is agreeable to hosting the site free of charge. (We may just ask for a link on Demonland to one of our own business sites as some form of quasi-sponsorship of the site.)

So, if you are interested, send me an email with your contact details. [email protected]

Cheers!

Bruce G.

Hi Andy. I've been a die-hard Dees fan all my 56 years. I've gained substantial enjoyment from reading the various posts in recent years. As I live on the Gold Coast, I treasure the training updates etc that are provided on your site. I therefore would hate to see its demise.

I do, however, have a possible solution for you. I am part-owner of a webhosting company. I just spoke to the senior partner, and he is agreeable to hosting the site free of charge. (We may just ask for a link on Demonland to one of our own business sites as some form of quasi-sponsorship of the site.)

So, if you are interested, send me an email with your contact details. [email protected]

Cheers!

Bruce G.

Bruce, you're a bloody legend! And I totally agree - I too am from Queensland and find this site to be the only way I can get info that Fox Sports and other general websites can't provide me! I would hate it all to come to an end and would also like to help out where possible!

Another donation has been made (been a while since my last which is overdue)

Ive been a member of this site pretty much since day dot.

I like alot of others live and breath this website.

If I can help in any other way please yell out.

My life wont be the same without Demonland.

Guest oldman emubitter
Another donation has been made (been a while since my last which is overdue)

Ive been a member of this site pretty much since day dot.

I like alot of others live and breath this website.

If I can help in any other way please yell out.

My life wont be the same without Demonland.

Ditto to all the above.

life out west is barren enough. without word on my beloved dees

would have me packing my bags and heading back to civilisation.

No credit card so how can i get a donation through?

Couple of sugestions. a yearly subscribers fee or run a pledge week with a total we need

to aim at to cover the site costs and some pocket money for you guys running the site to let

you know we appreciate your efforts.

I've fixed the link now. Cheers and thanks.

'Demonland', just a question if I may, regarding how many active members would be posting on this site,,, & also roughly how much would it cost to sustain the site as it is run now.

If each posting member was to pay a cheap yearly contribution that would cover the running costs, plus a little, there may be something left over for MELBOURNEfc...

It hopefully may work out to be quite affordable??

Edited by dee-luded

I contributed to this site's fundraiser back in March/April 2008 when it was last in trouble. Like quite a few others did. It sounds like a similar situation now.

How about another go at this site's own Debt Demolition?

I'd also give it a fair mention on Demonology as most supporters read both and would be loyal to each.

There's always a way.

i love this site like so many others, if you could give a ball park figue of how much it'll cost to keep it going i'd be more than happy donate and im on

apprentice wages so im sure theres others with out there that love this site as much as i do that make more than me that can chuck in.

like a few ppl have suggested make us pay for a yearly subscription get a debt demolition going and even if we have to pay some more for you guys to run it

i'd still be very happy too pay. i pretty much only have the internet for this page and to pay bills ;)

Firstly, I love Demonland and thanks for giving us the service, Andy.

Second, I am admin of a message board/forum on ProBoards. It's an excellent and very stable host, with great support available. And it's completely free. You get banner ads, but small monthly contributions get rid of the ads. If you're stuck, I can vouch for ProBoards. My guess is, one of the support people would help transferring the existing threads across. We could ask if this option is of interest.

http://www.proboards.com/

Lastly, you're the perfect admin... thanks!

PS. here's a ProBoards example, not mine:

http://autotechsonline.proboards.com/

The minimum it takes to keep this site running.

Some of us don't have an income.

Maybe to become an active posting member, we could each pay a small anuall fee after a probationary period of limited facilities, payable either online or by postal cheque.

If there was enough active users, surely it wouldn't cost us much?

Thanks to everyone for their kinds words and extra thanks for those that have generously donated and for those that have offered their services.

First off, I have never wanted to make any money out of this site and I've never wanted to have banner ads splashed across the site. I've always believed that the club comes first and ever dollar should go to them to help build success on and off the field. I've always wanted the ad space associated with the team to be given to their current sponsors and would never want a direct competitor or any others to get highlighted through this site. I understand that we are a fan site and have no affiliation with the club and therefore we should not be taking any dollars away from the club. I have never wanted this to become a paid subscription service and it will never be.

A few years ago I put the donations button up on the homepage purely to assist in covering the costs of hosting this site. This was never intended to make us any money and it hasn't.

The good news is we will not be going anywhere. I have arranged a new host and we will shortly be moving over there. Hopefully there will be only a minor disruption to the site. I will keep you informed. You can always follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/demonland to find out whats happening if ever the site is down.

If you wish to donate, feel free to do so. Understand that this is by no means compulsory and every dollar goes to covering the costs of running the site. I fully understand that many people can't afford it and I would rather you spent it on buying a membership with the club.

Thank you again to all those who have contributed and to those who will in the future. Thanks also go to Nasher for hosting and helping to run the technical side of this site for the past few years. He's done a stellar job and I'm sure he will always be on hand if we need technical assistance again.

Cheers,

Andy