welcome to the Dees...JOEL MACDONALD

beelzebub

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sensational pick up by us ... Pick 1 in the PSD is a steal. Voss rolled the dice on this one and massively lost.

Their loss is our gain ... IMHO we have assembled a rock solid backline that is super versatile.

Very, very smart drafting.

Agree totally ....... in fact our overall list management has been outstanding IMO, including retaining the integrity of the MFC by re-drafting of Meesen and Newton as rookies.

Guest hangon007
Agree totally ....... in fact our overall list management has been outstanding IMO, including retaining the integrity of the MFC by re-drafting of Meesen and Newton as rookies.

I'm with you 110% ... IMHO our list management in 2009 gets 11/10 ... credit where credit is due.

Great signs for years to come. I've barracked for this club for over 30 years and at long last ... I'm so, so proud to say I'm a demon thru & thru.

I can look my kids in the face and believe what I'm saying. I believe again that the "dream" is possible.

Go Dees!!!

Edited by hangon007

Our list management has been good this year, but we're still paying for mistakes made last year and the year before. Pretty much every poster here was surprised Newton was offered 2 years at the end of 2008, that decision cost us Dylan Grimes.

The year before Meesen was offered 3 years with just 3 games under his belt and Bell got 3 as well, some here loved Bell at the time but I've never really rated him. The FD was in a state of flux that offseason so the Meesen/Bell decisions can be excused I guess.

Yeah Podsiadly and Oakley-Nicholls surprised me too. I think Jared is a WA boy though so maybe they thought they'd take a punt. There wasn't that much else out there.

Anyone else have a giggle at the pathetic photo shop job of Joel on the official website?

Copy%20of%20Copy%20of%20macdonaldL.jpg

i would put money on that being pettard's body... just the pointy shoulders

Edited by hillie

Just a brief reminder to hose not overly familiar :

Joel Macdonald

DOB- 10 October 1984 (age 25)

Recruited from Mt Gravatt (QLD)

Draft Queensland Zone, 2002 Rookie Draft

ex- Brisbane Lions

Height 186cm

Weight 88kg

Playing Career

Position(s) Defender

Club

Years Team Pld G

2004–2009 Brisbane Lions 80 6

Hes, very good man on man.. ..a good decision maker and quite versatile able to play all over the backline really depending upon matchups. This gives the game day coaching panel a lot of choices. A welcome assett to the backline.

A pretty good backline just got better :)

So!!!! If he's so good, why did Brisbane let him go? Is there something I've missed in all the sackings, draftings and general shenanigans that follow at seasons end? :unsure:

So!!!! If he's so good, why did Brisbane let him go? Is there something I've missed in all the sackings, draftings and general shenanigans that follow at seasons end? :unsure:

Why did saints let go Luke ball?

He wanted a change, after an injury voss didnt want to change the side going into finals.

There were whispers well before season's end that Joel wanted to come back to Victoria.

The way Voss left him out of the finals side, he must've either known Joel was certain to go or decided he wasn't good enough, or both.

He wasn't necessarily seen as part of what was culled as it wasn't good enough to win a flag - Voss said he came to the conclusion his players weren't up to it when watching the GF, and that was the catalyst for him trading/delisting a quarter of his list.

Joel was already out of there before that happened.

Knowing this was a fait accompli I think many teams would've offered peanuts for Joel on the trade table.

Either way, a trade wasn't done. Joel was still insistent he wanted out and Voss either was happy for that to happen or conceded he couldn't retain him.

MFC would've made him a sizeable offer, as, among other things, they needed to reach the minimum 92.5% of the salary cap, which they were a fair chunk short of.

Plus, nominating for the PSD with our committing to select him would mean that he was a lock to return to Victoria - the ND would've been rolling the dice much like Luke Ball did.

Word was that Freo were quite keen.

Beyond all of that, I have never heard a bad word about Joel MacDonald in football circles and there are a lot of players about whom I have.

Thanks for that KS, much appreciated

No problem.

Whether he's just trying to downplay what happened or not, I'm not sure, but here Joel paints a slightly different picture.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/bris...f-1225810758916

Jay Clark also shows how little he knows about Melbourne's list.

Weak pretty boy wa%$er.

There were whispers well before season's end that Joel wanted to come back to Victoria.

The way Voss left him out of the finals side, he must've either known Joel was certain to go or decided he wasn't good enough, or both.

He wasn't necessarily seen as part of what was culled as it wasn't good enough to win a flag - Voss said he came to the conclusion his players weren't up to it when watching the GF, and that was the catalyst for him trading/delisting a quarter of his list.

Joel was already out of there before that happened.

Knowing this was a fait accompli I think many teams would've offered peanuts for Joel on the trade table.

Either way, a trade wasn't done. Joel was still insistent he wanted out and Voss either was happy for that to happen or conceded he couldn't retain him.

MFC would've made him a sizeable offer, as, among other things, they needed to reach the minimum 92.5% of the salary cap, which they were a fair chunk short of.

Plus, nominating for the PSD with our committing to select him would mean that he was a lock to return to Victoria - the ND would've been rolling the dice much like Luke Ball did.

Word was that Freo were quite keen.

Beyond all of that, I have never heard a bad word about Joel MacDonald in football circles and there are a lot of players about whom I have.

That's a lot of words based on a false premise KS :D

Joel Macdonald is a native Queenslander.

Oh yeah, it could be all bull$%it, but its just a synopsis of all the things I've heard over the course.

The fact I was hearing that Joel was extra keen to come back to Vic just after midseason leads me to believe that was true.

But Joel himself makes me sound like a fool.

Edit: I didn't even read the last line of your post!

Damn... he is too... somehow I forgot that... doesn't change what I was hearing though.

But now I'm even more sure he's made me look like a fool!

Edited by Keyser Söze

Oh yeah, it could be all bull$%it, but its just a synopsis of all the things I've heard over the course.

The fact I was hearing that Joel was extra keen to come back to Vic just after midseason leads me to believe that was true.

But Joel himself makes me sound like a fool.

Edit: I didn't even read the last line of your post!

Damn... he is too... somehow I forgot that... doesn't change what I was hearing though.

But now I'm even more sure he's made me look like a fool!

I can absolutely confirm, without reservation, that you look like a fool right now.

Massive fool.

Come on, KS. That was just 2 or 3 of the most awful posts I have ever seen from you. We all should recite what the debate moderator said to Billy Madison in the movie of the same name...

Jeez...

Too harsh?

I expect better.

I can absolutely confirm, without reservation, that you look like a fool right now.

Massive fool.

Come on, KS. That was just 2 or 3 of the most awful posts I have ever seen from you. We all should recite what the debate moderator said to Billy Madison in the movie of the same name...

Jeez...

Too harsh?

I expect better.

Can't disagree.

I did hear all those things, but obviously it escaped me that he's from QLD.

Cést la vie.

ps. Billy Madison... -

Can't disagree.

I did hear all those things, but obviously it escaped me that he's from QLD.

Cést la vie.

ps. Billy Madison... -

You look a royal douchbag, but that video is funny so I'll forgive.

Be careful of the 'things you hear'.

Macdonald's family moved from Victoria to Queensland in 99' when he was 14 or 15. Up to that point he'd represented Victoria in under-age football.

Only problem Macdonald has had is a long history of injuries - ankles, knee and other bits and pieces. Can I say though, this is a guy who led the Brisbane B&F for the first half of the 08 season and might have won it if he hadn't missed 5 matches due to injury. He gathered 30 odd possessions against St.Kilda at Docklands and Geelong at the Gabba this year. In 08 he got another 30 touches against the Cats down at Geelong. I was at the Geelong match this year and he was very good against an exceptional team. This year he was top 5 at Brisbane in disposals, marks and handballs. Eleventh at the club for tackles and 10th for kicks. Tapered off a bit at the latter part of the season but that wasn't entirely his fault. End of the day, when he is on the field and fit, he is a very good player and will be an asset to the club.

As to why he was allowed to leave Brisbane, the non-scandalous reason I heard is that, very simply, Voss was looking for more height and size than Macdonald has. Talent-wise, he was better than his potential replacements but Voss was looking for a particular type and Joel wasn't it.

Edited by AndrewD

Massive fool.

Jeez...

Too harsh?

I expect better.

Soft!!!

Why end with a suck up.

Macdonald's family moved from Victoria to Queensland in 99' when he was 14 or 15. Up to that point he'd represented Victoria in under-age football.

Interesting.

This article suggests MacDonald wasn't expecting to leave Brisbane, it was pretty much a surprise to him...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/bris...f-1225810758916

"It was a massive surprise (getting axed) but they didn't see me in their plans, so I have to move forward and now I have a great opportunity at Melbourne," Macdonald said.