Who's in for a big year

Rocknroll

I also hope Maric has a breakthrough season and we a find truly dangerous small forward but he may have to punch it out with Wona, jetta and pettard.

Is Grimes doing a full Preseason? If so, is this his first injury free? If that is the case I would expect him to move more into the guts and have a bigger year (unless the 2nd year blues hit)

I also agree on Cale. Winning a few more games will highlight some of our talent that has been hiding away from the AFL viewing public.

I though Colin and Chip broke out last year.

Not yet convinced with Dunn. Has played some good games, has gone missing in others, is yet to cement himself into a role or position. Might find himself fighting for a spot against some classy kids.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also hope Maric has a breakthrough season and we a find truly dangerous small forward but he may have to punch it out with Wona, jetta and pettard.

Is Grimes doing a full Preseason? If so, is this his first injury free? If that is the case I would expect him to move more into the guts and have a bigger year (unless the 2nd year blues hit)

I had a look at the training on Wednesday. Grimes, Maric and Dunn were all in the main group. Maric was wearing the orange jacket. I'm not sure what it means, but possibly it picks him out as the designated target on the kickouts. He looks fit and might play a forward/midfield role next year.

Wonna was also in the main group. He was bent over on one occasion and not feeling very well. That showed me he was pushing himself to the limits to get fit and have a big year in 2010.

4 of the six new recruits trained together and took part in the kicking drills:

Tapscott is a tank and a beautiful kick of the football.

Fitzpatrick is a dead ringer for Bruce Spence in the movie "Stork'.

Gysberts is slightly built but apparently is deceptively strong.

Trengove. His kicking skills on his non preferred boot reminded me of the goal Wayne Carey kicked against Essendon in 1999.

Watts wasn't in the main group. He did a lot of basketball in his junior years so maybe they have to train that out of him. Garland, Blease, Gawn and Scully were all in training with the 'get-well' group.

Sylvia looks in great nick and loves beating tackles.

Jurrah. Took part in everything including a short matchplay. I saw a couple of great marks on leads and under pressure. Then he just slots the goals. Shows promise.

Bate is an interesting one during goalkicking practice. . The ball seems to leave his foot at all sorts of angles. Then it straightens up and takes off!!

There were lots of kicking drills and an emphasis in hitting the targets. It's worth going to Casey and having a look.

Sylvia to step up and really tear games apart. I'm tipping him to really explode in 2010

Tapscott will be the youngster to watch next year. He's ready for it, and he's got me massively excited.

Agree about Tapscott, he is my rising star winner for mine such is the impact I think he will have in 2010. Wonder what his odds will be ATM?? ;)

(No pressure :lol: )

I am going to nominate Bate to take off this season. By the end of the season Bate to be pushing all Australian status. He was number 1 for assists this year which is often often overlooked but shows his ability to read the play and good execution of skills despite appearances.

The other thing about Bate is his ability to shrug tackles and win one on ones, he is very strong through the hips like Steve Johnson when he is firing. With improved supply coming in he will blossom. If Melbourne is a final contender in round 18 (and I mean mathematically rather than reality) then Bate will be cemented top 50 and pushing for that All Australian position.

The other person I would nominate is Frawley to move in the wider AFL audience from potential FB to be regarding as one of the better full backs in the competition and to be spoken about in the same manner as a Glass / Harris. The hopeful improvement in the midfield will help Frawley take the next step just like it will help Bate.

Nice work green Machine, I would love to see Bate take the next step.

From this article I would love to see Rivers take the next step. First Pre Season in 5. Touch wood, but if he gets through the whole year, he may be talked about as an all austrailan. He does so many 1% (17th in the comp for total and 9th on average Prostats 2009). If he gets his body right then hopefully we can see what we got a glimpse of in 2004.

N. Jones

His form graph is on the rise, he has a resilient body and great endurance. He is a leader, craves improvement, is super competetive and hates losing a contest.

Don't expect much from these 2 in 2010.

Blease has missed over a year of football, and hasn't even played against others since his U18 days over 12 months ago. He is in the rehab group, just recently began running again, and will be lucky to be fit for Round 1, let alone be up to speed football-wise and competing for a spot. I wouldn't expect to see him until the second half of 2010, and even then I don't think he will have much of an impact. Let's hope his broken leg didn't rob him of his main asset; his pace.

Strauss is also suffering the effects of an injury riddled first year. He lost 6-8kgs after his shoulder operation, and is still putting back on the weight. He is currently SMALLER than when we drafted him, and also has an injured hand, so he is in the rehab group. Luckily for him they think he will begin training with the main group in January. He is more likely to play in 2010 than Blease, but I wouldn't expect much. He struggled at VFL level this year when he played. He showed a few flashes of his talent, but overall he barely found the pill and was very timid with the physical side of the game. He will have to work on this before he steps up to AFL level.

Very good points. I think you are setting the bar higher than me when it comes to players having a big year. With these wto I am expecting something similar to what Grimes did this year. You can not say that he set the competition alight but he worked his way into the side and had a couple of seriously good games towards the end of the year. He is now a pretty solid first 22 player. I would expect that Straus and Blease will play most of the first half of the season with Casey but they should get 10-12 games later on and be showing why we drafted them by the end. Rising star nominations are not out of the question.

To me, if they can do what Grimes did this year that will be a big year for them and will reward the faith that the fans have shown in two players we haven't seen on the field yet. It may not count as a big breakout year in which they become elite players, but at their age nobody expects that.

THE GOOD

Jones (With the effort he puts in it's going to click one day)

Grimes (already payed some blinders)

Jamar (Could become the league's best ruck by year's end)

Sylvia (in reality 09 was his breakout year, I think 2010 will be even bigger)

Wonaeamirri (once uninjured will burn it up)

Maric (once he finds confidence on the big stage he will be every bit as good as we hope)

Frawley (Will just get better and better)

Bennell (Andrew Mcleod type, obviously not as good........yet!)

Jetta (I think many underate this guy, the club certainly doesn't)

Rivers (with a full preason will return to 04 form and then some, leaving doubters in his wake)

Morton (could become our best)

THE BAD

Tapscott fails to live up to expectations as another big school boy finds the transition to AFL hard)

THE UGLY

Newton (say no more)

Maric

I really hope he steps up in 2010. We definitely need from either Maric, Wonaeamirri and Jetta some exciting small forward work up forward, being dangerous around goals and capitilising on a consistent basis. 2010 would be excellent timing.

For me it has to be Tiger Woods, very quiet this year, needs some controversy!!! :lol:

On a serious note, i'm going for Cale Morton, although slight in build i think this lad can play anwhere and could and should go on to be an elite footballer.

Tiger for President. :huh:

Sixth year and on the basis of the first five years I am concerned Dunn's spot was created through injury rather than performance. After all this time he still has not bagged a spot. Too small for KP. Bigger frame does not fool me. Too timid for mine.

Wow! I hope you are right. We need a big ruckman to fire.

My big years will come from:

1. Morton

2. Sylvia

3. Jurrah

4. Frawley

5. Grimes

6. Tapscott

yeah i think Tapscott will be the best of the recruits this year. Having watched some of his highlight reels, he looks like a steal at 18.

Also i was Frawley's biggest critic when he first started, and now he has changed my mind, turning into a good defender

I'd imagine even with poor seasons, both would be kept (possibly less sure of Maric being kept). However I think it's important for their development, and establishing a solid future at the club in a meaningful role, that Maric has a good year where he shows his ability at younger levels can be translated into the AFL while Petterd needs to show that he's not a player who can play bit roles well, but rather that he can cement a position for the future.

Odd reply by the way

Edited by 45HG16

Guest apple
I'd imagine even with poor seasons, both would be kept (possibly less sure of Maric being kept). However I think it's important for their development, and establishing a solid future at the club in a meaningful role, that Maric has a good year where he shows his ability at younger levels can be translated into the AFL while Petterd needs to show that he's not a player who can play bit roles well, but rather that he can cement a position for the future.

Odd reply by the way

dude i reckon your underestimating petterd,hes ready to explode, him and bate will be hard to matchup in a goodside, they could kick 75between them in a top 4 side, onward and upward, im an odd apple champ :lol::lol: , GO DEMONS