• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Burgan's Phantom Draft

Diablo Deemon

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest eraadyn

Not too impressed to be honest. Don't mind the idea of Max Gawn, a huge 208cm ruck prospect, sweet. But to think we wouldnt take Griffiths at 11 if he is available is mind boggling. Or Black if Griffiths isn't available. Liam Patrick could be interesting, he has played with and against his cousin before and could make a killer combo in the red and blue. However I think steer clear of Troy Taylor, comes with way too much baggage and there are better options even that late in the draft. Have we forgotten Mitch Thorp is training with Melbourne atm? Why not take him at 50 if his body is right. I would rather it looked like this

1. Trengrove

2. Scully

11. Griffiths/Black

18. Black/Panos/Talia

34. Gawn/Patrick

50. Thorp

PSD 1. McDonald

Not too impressed to be honest. Don't mind the idea of Max Gawn, a huge 208cm ruck prospect, sweet. But to think we wouldnt take Griffiths at 11 if he is available is mind boggling. Or Black if Griffiths isn't available. Liam Patrick could be interesting, he has played with and against his cousin before and could make a killer combo in the red and blue. However I think steer clear of Troy Taylor, comes with way too much baggage and there are better options even that late in the draft. Have we forgotten Mitch Thorp is training with Melbourne atm? Why not take him at 50 if his body is right. I would rather it looked like this

1. Trengrove

2. Scully

11. Griffiths/Black

18. Black/Panos/Talia

34. Gawn/Patrick

50. Thorp

PSD 1. McDonald

I know the idea and fun aspect of forums like this is to voice our (often but not always) amateur opinions around, but the lack of respect for the well educated and informed opinions of the experts in the field amazes me sometimes. (I'm not just talking about Burgan here by any means by the way)

A lot of complaints at taking Gawn "too early" yet purely as an example, sorry eraadyn for singling you out, here we have a player no expert rates below 30 as being perfectly at 18 in Panos. Or Griffiths for that matter.

All in all our picks in Burgos seem ok to me. We would be deluded expecting perfection and this group of players is one of many combinations that will suit me fine. All faith in BP i say...

It's an interesting argument whether you go for the best available or go for a certain type or need.

Looks Like Burgan has done both.

He has picked the 2 best available players in the draft at 1 and 2.

He's picked the best available KPP at pick 11 (Black would also be in the mix. How do you separate him and Talia?)

He's picked the best available ruckman at 18 (Vardy would also be considered if he falls to 18).

He's picked the best indigenous players available at 34 and 50 in Taylor and Patrick. I think too many other clubs are interested for this to happen.

Do we lack speed? Of our current list, only Davey and possibly Blease are linebreakers.

I'd like to see a quicky picked at 34. Must have good foot skills. Can be a shorty. Someone like Alwyn Davey would be terrific.

I agree, although the phantom drafts prove that the experts don't know everything.

With this draft, there could be some big surprises after the first few, as it's so even. There was obviously some talk about Panos being rated higher, and Gawn later, so there's a legitimate claim that Panos could be at 18, Gawn at 34 etc.

Have you actually watched him play?

Not only does he have good acceleration, but he is a great overhead and contested mark...and has a thumping kick and is a multiple goal scorer...

Now go through our list...We now have a young list...Who are also skinny and need to fill out..Watts..Morton..Bleese...the list goes on..You need to have some players that have some size...

Daniel Rich had size when he was playing before he was drafted....how is he managing?

"will just be another well built player among many" very naive comment..

Yes I have watched him play, live at Etihad and have also viewed his online clips.

If you read through my comments again I never said he wasn't a good player. The point I made is that it is wrong to place too much emphasis on a bloke's

physique at 17/18 years of age. I played footy for 15 years at a decent level and continue to be involved in the sport and know what I am talking about through experience.

Naive? Hardly my friend. We'll see who's right this evening. He won't be in the top 20.

What are you anyway, Tapscott's boyfriend?

It's an interesting argument whether you go for the best available or go for a certain type or need.

Looks Like Burgan has done both.

He has picked the 2 best available players in the draft at 1 and 2.

He's picked the best available KPP at pick 11 (Black would also be in the mix. How do you separate him and Talia?)

He's picked the best available ruckman at 18 (Vardy would also be considered if he falls to 18).

He's picked the best indigenous players available at 34 and 50 in Taylor and Patrick. I think too many other clubs are interested for this to happen.

Do we lack speed? Of our current list, only Davey and possibly Blease are linebreakers.

I'd like to see a quicky picked at 34. Must have good foot skills. Can be a shorty. Someone like Alwyn Davey would be terrific.

With regard to speed, that is why my preferences for picks 34,50 (34 in particular) would be either a Colyer or a J.Thomas. Plenty of speed and line breaking there with good disposal by hand and foot. Good on the outside and can mix it inside. On Thomas, he played on Scully in the TAC Cup, he speaks highly of Scully. He could also be one that puts a clamp on an opposing player, if need be.

We can always do with a tall like Talia - he's versatile in that he can play forward or back, so we shouldn't have to worry about him fulfilling our needs.

In addition, he's probably the best available at 11 anyway.

Vardy/Gawn at 18 is a decent pick. Gawn may still be available at 34, but it's a risk.

It depends if we want to take a risk on Gawn still being there at 34 or guarantee that we pick him if he's rated high enough by BP.

Talia sounds like Col Garland MKII. What do you think?

Her first round predictions were in the Age today, had us taking Scully, Trengove and Talia

Very similar to Burgan's, with only McMillan-Pittard and Jetta swapped between Adelaide and Sydney, Menzel at Geelong's pick, and Port taking Melksham over Lucas

Guest hangon007
Her first round predictions were in the Age today, had us taking Scully, Trengove and Talia

Very similar to Burgan's, with only McMillan-Pittard and Jetta swapped between Adelaide and Sydney, Menzel at Geelong's pick, and Port taking Melksham over Lucas

IMHO Emma comments are far more informative than Burgans ...

I should also think that many of the calls for both of them are more 50/50 decisions than the general footy forum public think. However, that does not mean either is right or wrong or the "footy forum public" for that matter.

Edited by hangon007

Yes I have watched him play, live at Etihad and have also viewed his online clips.

If you read through my comments again I never said he wasn't a good player. The point I made is that it is wrong to place too much emphasis on a bloke's

physique at 17/18 years of age. I played footy for 15 years at a decent level and continue to be involved in the sport and know what I am talking about through experience.

Naive? Hardly my friend. We'll see who's right this evening. He won't be in the top 20.

And if you read my post, I also said that he is known to have a massive kick...entries into 50 are a major strength, strong and known to the be best kick in the draft..also likened to Leigh Matthews which is a decent wrap...

As for you illustrious 15 year career at a "decent level"...maybe you should enter the draft? I get the feeling you may introduce yourself to people and say you played footy for 15 years..very impressive mate..

As for he won't be in the top 20...definitely will see on the night...in any case, thats not what i debated..i debated, we need a player like him, his ability,physique and competitiveness..

Edited by L J

If we're going to take a risk on a tall, I'd rather take a risk on a mobile giant who can kick and take good contested grabs (this is what Gawn's footage suggests).

What we're missing from our forward line is a giant pack-breaker who'll take contested marks. From everything I've seen (limited mind you), Gawn seems the most suited to do this with his skills and frame. He'll also be the most ready-made of all the talls, given he is already over 100kgs.

I'd rather take a quality mid at 11, and a ruckman/forward like Gawn at 18, than risk blowing pick 11 on a tall who won't really fulfill our needs. Gawn is killing two birds at once.

We are on the same page except for the quality mid at 11 ( unless we were talking Rohan/Cunnington/Martin ) which we know won't happen. By taking Talia or Black and if they fire we have solved most of our problems if Gawn also fires. We must bear in mind that Gawn is coming off a knee op and that will take time maybe even until next year to be confident and fully fit. Therefore pick 11 should be a key forward who can just about step up round 1. That would IMO leave us free to go for some magic or whoever at 34 & 50. We get two brilliant mids, a key forward, a giant who can mark and kick a couple of goals and who would be nearly impossible to man up while resting forward and another couple of handy players. An experienced mid/half back to come PSD. A number of our weaknesses have then been addressed.

Edited by Redleg

We are on the same page except for the quality mid at 11 ( unless we were talking Rohan/Cunnington/Martin ) which we know won't happen. By taking Talia or Black and if they fire we have solved most of our problems if Gawn also fires. We must bear in mind that Gawn is coming off a knee op and that will take time maybe even until next year to be confident and fully fit. Therefore pick 11 should be a key forward who can just about step up round 1. That would IMO leave us free to go for some magic or whoever at 34 & 50. We get two brilliant mids, a key forward, a giant who can mark and kick a couple of goals and who would be nearly impossible to man up while resting forward and another couple of handy players. An experienced mid/half back to come PSD. A number of our weaknesses have then been addressed.

youve been talking to Barrry havent you ;):rolleyes:

you know...if we're not careful we could just end up with more than a halfway decent football team !! would quieten a few ferals out there :)

What do you think people will say if

a/ we take him

b/ we dont take him

c/ he ends up at Essendon

d/ he ends up at Collingwwod

Gawn - 206, 207, 208 ...

The way this kid is going he will be 3 metres tall by round 1 2010.

I did notice that the first three posts had him shrinking by 1cm each post.

He won't be much good as a ruckman by the time this post is closed!

I am sure you were waiting for this...

Not sure if you happened to catch the draft...

I believe Tapscott went at 18?

Your a moron...Maybe you needed an extra year of that footy experience?

Take a look at the Luke Tapscott thread and see how many people in the know are happy with his appointment..

L J 1 - Scully to Watts 0

I am sure you were waiting for this...

Not sure if you happened to catch the draft...

I believe Tapscott went at 18?

Your a moron...Maybe you needed an extra year of that footy experience?

Take a look at the Luke Tapscott thread and see how many people in the know are happy with his appointment..

L J 1 - Scully to Watts 0

Oh lay off him.

I don't know how many times I said there was no chance that Ball would nominate for the ND. And then I have no idea how many times I said he would not get to Collingwood.

It happens.

I don't know how many times I said there was no chance that Ball would nominate for the ND. (Completely irrational decision - attempting to run an improbable gauntlet)

And then I have no idea how many times I said he would not get to Collingwood. (Completely irrational and unpredictable circumstances - our focus on youth, Voss crowding his salary cap with recycled players, Essendon losing their nerve, and PA being PA led to this ridiculous conclusion)

I can relate, but game theory requires rational actors and common sense decisions.