Probable Round 1, Hawks v Dees

Jack7

Just like old times when we used to smash them in round 1,should be very interesting.

:lol: Buddy's out round 1 :lol:

I request Dees v Tigers round 2

Carlton v Dees round 3

Dees v Freo round 4

Edited by Jack7

But no Buddy is always nice.

When we played them in the opening round two years ago they also had a swag of players missing due to suspension and injury but they still smashed us by over 100 points.

We will have a significantly different 22 on the park this time around and I'm marking Saturday 27 March 2010 as the day of the start of our revival. It's too early to say if we're going to win but I believe we'll be hungry and we'll put in a very, very competitive performance.

Just like old times when we used to smash them in round 1,should be very interesting.

Carlton v Dees round 3

Dees v Freo round 4

I would have hoped for home games against Hawks and Carlton early on.

Always thinking of our club first and foremost.

I would have hoped for home games against Hawks and Carlton early on.

Always thinking of our club first and foremost.

We play Hawks at the G in round 1 without spending one of OUR HOME GAMES,can't you see this!!!

I much prefer to play the Hawks at the G in one of THEIR HOME GAMES!!!

It's still a HOME game for us at the G and after our first game at the G,we still have all our HOME GAMES to come.

Now that's putting our club first and foremost!!!

Am i the only one who thinks like this?

We play Hawks at the G in round 1 without spending one of OUR HOME GAMES,can't you see this!!!

I much prefer to play the Hawks at the G in one of THEIR HOME GAMES!!!

It's still a HOME game for us at the G and after our first game at the G,we still have all our HOME GAMES to come.

Now that's putting our club first and foremost!!!

Am i the only one who thinks like this?

From a football point of view away games at the MCG are very good. You're right, we get a chance to win and then we also haven't used our home games.

But from a financial view it would be nice to play a big home game early, get some coin in the bank.

If we start with away games against the hawks and pies it would be important to win at least 1 of them, so then come a round 3 game against an interstate side or something like that we have some drawing power.

From a football point of view away games at the MCG are very good. You're right, we get a chance to win and then we also haven't used our home games.

But from a financial view it would be nice to play a big home game early, get some coin in the bank.

Agreed fully. Early season interest, imagine that both teams are going horribly 6 weeks in (touch wood), small crowd, low numbers, no coin. Bank the money while you can, early in the season while there's a lot of interest.

Agreed fully. Early season interest, imagine that both teams are going horribly 6 weeks in (touch wood), small crowd, low numbers, no coin. Bank the money while you can, early in the season while there's a lot of interest.

Totally disagree,win early away games at the G and financial success (rising membership) will follow and we still have our money making home games to follow with higher attendances due to winning earlier games.

Edited by Jack7

If we start with away games against the hawks and pies it would be important to win at least 1 of them, so then come a round 3 game against an interstate side or something like that we have some drawing power.

Bingo!

Totally disagree,win early away games at the G and financial success (rising membership) will follow and we still have our money making home games to follow with higher attendances due to winning earlier games.

But what if we don't win those early games? Plus, if we play Hawthorn away, we mightn't play them at home. We want to play as many of our 10 Victorian home games against Victorian teams. In 2009 we played 4 homes games against interstate teams (WCE, Adelaide, PA, Freo). IIRC only 1 of those got above 20,000, and I highly doubt that those kind of games would be drawing big crowds even if we were winning.

We need to be playing home games against Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, Hawthorn, Richmond, Geelong and St Kilda. If we could get all those at home, I wouldn't care if we had to travel interstate 6 or 7 times. From a financial point of view, that's what we need.

If we were in the fortunate position of not having to worry about finances, and we were looking to solely get an easy chance to make finals, then having Hawthorn away at the G is a good thing.

I thought this was going to be our home game (according to a demonland sauce), but never mind.

Hopefully the members will get compensated with free entry (due to sale of home game to Darwin & Canberra)

Round 3 - from a footy perspective be nice to play a home game V a WA team, but from a business perspective I hope we play a big 4.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell

When we played them in the opening round two years ago they also had a swag of players missing due to suspension and injury but they still smashed us by over 100 points.

We will have a significantly different 22 on the park this time around and I'm marking Saturday 27 March 2010 as the day of the start of our revival. It's too early to say if we're going to win but I believe we'll be hungry and we'll put in a very, very competitive performance.

Horrible memories that game, Buddy was having his way with us! Slightly relieving to know he wont be there round 1, but I'm sure Roughy, Cyril and Lewis will pick up the slack. Ah well, atleast it's a Saturday game - a sign of things to come hopefully.

round one win against the hawks,,,now that would be a great start to the season!

i think the eight was decided by round 6 last year and the year before,,,(please correct me but it's something like that)

any way,,,it's impotant that melbourne is competeing from round one,,,we can't afford to east in to the season

round one win against the hawks,,,now that would be a great start to the season!

i think the eight was decided by round 6 last year and the year before,,,(please correct me but it's something like that)

any way,,,it's impotant that melbourne is competeing from round one,,,we can't afford to east in to the season

Yeah there's some record of looking at the top 8 after 9 or so rounds: it hardly ever changes from then on.

It would definitely be nice to win in Round 1. We haven't done so since 2005.

Carlton v Dees round 3

Dees v Freo round 4

Why would you want our first Home Game to be against the Shockers? after 3 Away games?? That certainly keeps the Wallet fairly empty i would predict.

I would prefer a home game against a victorian side in the early weeks thanks very much. Let's fill the Stands early.

Caro Wilson reckons Richmond V Melbourne in round 3 or 4

Also the HUN reckons we have 5 of our first 7 games at the G.

Essendon have a horror draw in terms of playing top 4 teams twice but only travel 3 times!!!

Bulldogs have 5 Friday night games.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell

Why would you want our first Home Game to be against the Shockers? after 3 Away games?? That certainly keeps the Wallet fairly empty i would predict.

I would prefer a home game against a victorian side in the early weeks thanks very much. Let's fill the Stands early.

After 2 away games.Because we have paid down most of our debt and we need early wins to build confidence and when we start winning,watch all the Demons come out of the woodwork,get the wins on the board and the finances will take care of themselves.

Also,most company's in Australia carry debt including my own and while it'd be great to be debt free ASAP,we can keep paying it down over the next few years.If Schwabby knows what he's doing,he would have refinanced our debt at 40 year low interest rates and aim to pay it down in the next few years.Our debt has been reduced from $3.5+ Million to under 800k

Winning games early will get the crowds through the gate Which will give Schwabby the option of paying down more debt or investing it in other areas.Winning games is a bigger priority than being debt free right now as we need to raise membership and lure more corporate sponsorhip.

If,as you say we play other Victorian teams as home games,seeing that most of them are in the top 6,we'll get hammered as we're not ready to beat top 6 teams yet and once that happens,attendances will drop,membership will stall and onfield confidence will drop,the media will be calling for Dean Bailey's head and we're sitting 16th.

Early wins are an absolute must,the team will grow exponentially more confident,membership keeps growing at a nice pace,attendances rise and the media are saying that Melbourne is on the rise again.I wish everyone would stop worrying about our debt,it's manageable now and we'll chip away at it in the next few years.

Edited by Jack7

After 2 away games.Because we have paid down most of our debt and we need early wins to build confidence and when we start winning,watch all the Demons come out of the woodwork,get the wins on the board and the finances will take care of themselves.

Also,most company's in Australia carry debt including my own and while it'd be great to be debt free ASAP,we can keep paying it down over the next few years.If Scwabby knows what he's doing,he would have refinanced our debt at 40 year low interest rates and aim to pay it down in the next few years.Our debt has been reduced from $3.5+ Million to under 800k

Winning games early will get the crowds through the gate Which will give Scwabby the option of paying down more debt or investing it in other areas.Winning games is a bigger priority than being debt free right now as we need to raise membership and lure more corporate sponsorhip.

If,as you say we play other Victorian teams as home games,seeing that most of them are in the top 6,we'll get hammered as we're not ready to beat top 6 teams yet and once that happens,attendances will drop,membership will stall and onfield confidence will drop,the media will be calling for Dean Bailey's head and we're sitting 16th.

Early wins are an absolute must,the team will grow exponentially more confident,membership keeps growing at a nice pace,attendances rise and the media are saying that Melbourne is on the rise again.I wish everyone would stop worrying about our debt,it's manageable now and we'll chip away at it in the next few years.

What??? I think you agreed with me but i am not sure!

I'm stunned at Richmond's concessions, revealed by Caro in The Age today. I can't understand on what basis the AFL agreed to improve their draw to the extent that it has been, given they finished 15th this year.

Its about expected bums on seats not where you finished last year.

Despite its lack of success in the past 28 years, Richmond have a huge supporter base (thanks to the 5 flags in 13 years -1967 to 80). They do get numbers to games despite the crud of a side they are. And it does not take much success from them for the crowds to swell.