Trengove to go #1 in draft

dee-man

Not really relevant to the discussion though. Just saying the expectations placed on them seem to have always been different, even after Kosi won the rising star in his first year didn't he?

Perhap's it is not relevant. However, you brought up Riewoldt & Kosi. Yes, Kosi did win the rising star.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can’t see Trengove going number 1. He is obviously a very good player and I will be happy to see him playing at Melbourne next year but I think Scully is better. He has handled tags in pretty much every game he has played. Trengove has received many plaudits for playing well in the SANFL but the reality is the standard is way off AFL.

I’m glad to hear he tested well in the sprints - would love to see his actual test times, does anyone have these?

Can’t see Trengove going number 1. He is obviously a very good player and I will be happy to see him playing at Melbourne next year but I think Scully is better. He has handled tags in pretty much every game he has played. Trengove has received many plaudits for playing well in the SANFL but the reality is the standard is way off AFL.

I’m glad to hear he tested well in the sprints - would love to see his actual test times, does anyone have these?

Apparently he got 2.97 for the 20m sprint - which is pretty impressive and is close to the likes of Colyer and Jetta.

15.2 is what I've heard for the beep test, and that is an extremely good score.

By the way, for the state screenings are all of these tests conducted on one day?

The source is the Advertiser.Melb officials were here yesterday to watch the state screening wher Trengove was very good,in the top 2% nationally for the sprint & beep test.They had a long chat with him & its believed that they think he has the mental edge over Scully to be able to handle the media attention that goes with being num 1.Thers no diff as we will take them both anyway its just the media scrutiny & interviews etc that num 1 has to deal with.Hes had the media interviews & press reports etc leading up to the finals & playing in the G/F & they think he could handle it better.As for saying hes only just burst onto the scene is a bit off,maybe over in Vic he hasnt had the attention but the same goes here for Scully.Id say very few outside of Melb supporters over here would ever have heard of him,i hadnt until half way through this year.Trengove is playing at a far superior level & captained the state so for me hes a standout num 1,im not baging Scully though so dont think that.I just think that trengove is ready to play AFL right now

Yeh fair enough, I just think Scully deserves the #1 pick ATM. He comes across as a level-headed kid anyway, doesn't party, hasn't had a drop of alcohol for four years or something. Probably being Victorian would give him the edge.

And anyway the Advertiser is always going to be biased towards the SA player. Shocking newspaper.

Guest delicious jurrah coffee
Apparently he got 2.97 for the 20m sprint - which is pretty impressive and is close to the likes of Colyer and Jetta.

By the way, for the state screenings are all of these tests conducted on one day?

ask freak, hes better than all of them.

Thanks. These scores are indeed impressive. I think Cale Morton ran a 15.2 at his draft camp. These scores would’ve had Trengove in the top 3 at this years draft camp in the beep test, and 2.97 is just outside the top 10 in the 20m sprint. Lewis Jetta ran a 2.95 and I think Butcher ran a 2.99.

I’m unsure if the tests are run on the same day but surely they wouldn’t do a beep test and 3km time trial on the same day?

Thanks. These scores are indeed impressive. I think Cale Morton ran a 15.2 at his draft camp. These scores would’ve had Trengove in the top 3 at this years draft camp in the beep test, and 2.97 is just outside the top 10 in the 20m sprint. Lewis Jetta ran a 2.95 and I think Butcher ran a 2.99.

I’m unsure if the tests are run on the same day but surely they wouldn’t do a beep test and 3km time trial on the same day?

If you go through the variations in the reaction times of the world's top sprinters, you'll find they vary by 0.05 quite regularly. My point is that a difference of 0.02 (b/w Jetta and Trengove) is not a significant one. You'd only start talking about a difference after ~ 0.05 (and even then you'd want a consistent difference over a number of trials).

Take home message - Trengove's fast out of the blocks.

Trengove could very easily go number 1. He deserves his plaudits and while the SANFL might not be of AFL standard its a very good competion and it would be of a better standard than the tac cup. In reality you are way off

If you go through the variations in the reaction times of the world's top sprinters, you'll find they vary by 0.05 quite regularly. My point is that a difference of 0.02 (b/w Jetta and Trengove) is not a significant one. You'd only start talking about a difference after ~ 0.05 (and even then you'd want a consistent difference over a number of trials).

Take home message - Trengove's fast out of the blocks.

Yeah all the tests are conducted on the 1 day,sat the 10th over a 4 or 5 hour period.As for the comment about the SANFL being a lower standard than the AFL well thats obvious but it is recognised as the 2nd best comp in the country & still miles ahead of the kids under 18 comp

The source is the Advertiser.Melb officials were here yesterday to watch the state screening wher Trengove was very good,in the top 2% nationally for the sprint & beep test.They had a long chat with him & its believed that they think he has the mental edge over Scully to be able to handle the media attention that goes with being num 1.Thers no diff as we will take them both anyway its just the media scrutiny & interviews etc that num 1 has to deal with.Hes had the media interviews & press reports etc leading up to the finals & playing in the G/F & they think he could handle it better.As for saying hes only just burst onto the scene is a bit off,maybe over in Vic he hasnt had the attention but the same goes here for Scully.Id say very few outside of Melb supporters over here would ever have heard of him,i hadnt until half way through this year.Trengove is playing at a far superior level & captained the state so for me hes a standout num 1,im not baging Scully though so dont think that.I just think that trengove is ready to play AFL right now

I can confirm this.

What I cannot confirm is whether the MFC will do Tom a favour and pick him at No. 2 but it is a good idea.

I just brought them up because they went 1 and 2

My recollection is that St Kilda commented after the draft that they chose Reiwoldt 1st because of the pressure/expectation thing and that Nick was better prepared mentally to deal with it.

If Jack Watts wasn't mentally tough it would have been difficult dealing with the tripe that was directed at him during the year.

I believe the club will consider that part of the equation when selecting 1 & 2. But from what I've read they would both be worthy and would both deal with it well.

One small consideration might be Trengove and the go home factor. As a No 1 it might make it more difficult for him to return home given the deluge of press coverage and profile he would get as No 1. Just a hunch of mine.

Edited by jnrmac

Yeah all the tests are conducted on the 1 day,sat the 10th over a 4 or 5 hour period.As for the comment about the SANFL being a lower standard than the AFL well thats obvious but it is recognised as the 2nd best comp in the country & still miles ahead of the kids under 18 comp

This would indicate that if the tests had been spread out, as they were for the draft camp participants, that Trengove may have actually performed better in certain tests than he did at the state screening.

I've heard individuals being critical of his athletic ability, and maybe he isn't a Morabito in terms of speed, but he is no slouch, and appears to be above average at the very least.

Such a treat for us as Melbourne fans to get not only JT, but Scully as well. In my eyes, they are clearly the best two in the draft.

The Victorian media has been singing Scully's praises for a long time now (and rightly so), but don't think for one second that Jack Trengove is an inferior Number 1 pick..... I am telling you right now that JT is an amazing young footballer who, if picked at the top, would be just as deserving of the tag as Tom Scully.....

Whichever way it goes, we win.... But from what I have heard, Jack may have just pipped Tom as the Number 1..... Either way, they will be pushing each other their whole career..... It will be awesome to watch!

Yeh fair enough, I just think Scully deserves the #1 pick ATM. He comes across as a level-headed kid anyway, doesn't party, hasn't had a drop of alcohol for four years or something. Probably being Victorian would give him the edge.

And anyway the Advertiser is always going to be biased towards the SA player. Shocking newspaper.

Im glad he got off the booze at 14

Im glad he got off the booze at 14

He made a pact with himself at 14 that he wouldn't have a drink, because he wanted to get drafted and play footy.

He wasn't on the [censored] at 14, but it's the time when kids start to do stupid things - and drinking too much is one of them.

For me, Trengove is clearly second to Scully. Both would be capable of handling the expectations that come with being number 1, but Scully seems to want this life like no kid that has come before him.

The countdown will see Trengove at 2, and Scully at 1. And I will have it on the IQ for a while...

He made a pact with himself at 14 that he wouldn't have a drink, because he wanted to get drafted and play footy.

He wasn't on the [censored] at 14, but it's the time when kids start to do stupid things - and drinking too much is one of them.

For me, Trengove is clearly second to Scully. Both would be capable of handling the expectations that come with being number 1, but Scully seems to want this life like no kid that has come before him.

i was going to say this. this is a massive show of maturity for someone only 14! With additional 2 years in the U18's and captaining his side to the grand final, sounds tough to beat maturity wise.

The countdown will see Trengove at 2, and Scully at 1. And I will have it on the IQ for a while...

So from comments like that i can assume you have seen both play a fair bit. What seperates Scully from Trengove? except for the hype Trengove seems a better prospect to me.

The only difference between pick 1 and 2, is that I believe the number one pick gets an automatic payment bonus (about $20,000?) on their first contract.

It's possible that given he needs to relocate interstate, we've decided to pick Trengove at number one, with the bonus payment going towards easing the relocation process (remembering that all first year players are paid the same based on which round they were drafted).

Of course it all could all be [censored] :D

Trengove could very easily go number 1. He deserves his plaudits and while the SANFL might not be of AFL standard its a very good competion and it would be of a better standard than the tac cup. In reality you are way off

You may well be right. No need to have a shot at me though.

I think Scully will go at number 1 but I agree with the majority of people that it doesn’t matter. What matters is we will get both of them. Long live Jordan McMahon :lol:

I think you meant to quote Trust Fund Baby. :unsure: