Ball for Melbourne in the PSD?

mikeod

Was a bottom aged draftee from 08 who is one of our best youngsters. Will be better than both Sidebottom/Beams.

I'm glad we aren't giving up youngsters for a 25 year old who has the body of a 35 year old.

I fear that The Old Xaverian might well be on the money. Ross Lyon wasn't being a fool when he restricted Ball's time on the ground to less than 50% of game time on grand final day. Despite that fact he picked up 22 disposals but all in all, his presence in the side could have been a liability with injuries to other players and the fact that his kicking was so lacking in penetration.

The good thing from our point of view is that if he's not traded today and he decides to throw his lot in with us via the PSD we will have plenty of time to carry out proper due diligence. I'm yet to be convinced that his style of play is compatible with the style of game that Dean Bailey and the FD are trying to introduce into the club.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fear that The Old Xaverian might well be on the money. Ross Lyon wasn't being a fool when he restricted Ball's time on the ground to less than 50% of game time on grand final day. Despite that fact he picked up 22 disposals but all in all, his presence in the side could have been a liability with injuries to other players and the fact that his kicking was so lacking in penetration.

The good thing from our point of view is that if he's not traded today and he decides to throw his lot in with us via the PSD we will have plenty of time to carry out proper due diligence. I'm yet to be convinced that his style of play is compatible with the style of game that Dean Bailey and the FD are trying to introduce into the club.

i defs would not trade youngsters or picks for him, but if there was not much floating in the psd and ball was available, i would take him.

he cant possibly be worse than brock has been at times, and we get him for nothing. we need to pay someone the money so we may as well. after all, even if he plays for the scorps for 3 years we didnt have to give up anything to get him.

Good players can be fitted into game plans Jack. We'd be getting him for free, he'd take a mentoring role with the new onballers like Scully, he offers leadership in an age bracket we're devoid in, and as someone famous once said "courage never goes out of fashion'. Someone as brave as Luke Ball representing your club isn't a bad thing. The one thing going in our favour is the fact that somehow Collingwood just can't seem to get any deals over the line. (Jolly aside and that was a simple deal that took them four days to haggle over to cough up a nothing pick)

Edited by grazman

That bastion of truth The Hun has reported that MFC :

"Has as much chance of getting Luke Ball as winning next year's flag.

Only Mumford-like cash will force a player into the pre-season draft.

Had been interested in Andrejs Everitt, but that has cooled."

If true, it could be a blessing in disguise.

I want Ball, but I am concerned about his body...

If this is the case, then WHO do we select in the PSD? Any ideas?

(I was joking when I said Kayne Pettifer & Cameron Cloke - add Brad Fisher to that list...)

I'm yet to be convinced that his style of play is compatible with the style of game that Dean Bailey and the FD are trying to introduce into the club.

WJ as someone on here whose insights into football are greatly respected; what style of game would you say that DB is trying to introduce?

From watching 2 seasons of mostly thrashings (and with a team full of toddlers) I'm yet to ascertain exactly how DB is trying to get these guys to play. I'm curious as to how you see it.

Melbourne just get someone who matters... even slightly. Year after year no one wants to play for Melbourne. Sucks so much.

Agree mate. I want us to select a half decent player in the PSD with AFL experience over an 18 year old that's been over looked in a crap national draft. (Jurrah was tattslotto and we shouldn't assume that will happen again)

Would be great to have an established player that wants to play for Melbourne. I hope that player is Luke Ball.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell

If Collingwood are trying to get Fev to the pies how will they find time to get the Ball deal done?

10:09 The entire Carlton entourage appeared here early. Including coach Brett Ratten and even assistant coaches Harvey and Lappin

10:09 No doubt trying to spruik a deal for Fev

10:10 Interestingly they were followed soon after by none other than....

10:10 The COLLINGWOOD entourage!

Heraldsun.com.au

Edited by Mr Morton

something has to give and the spoils might just be ours !! :)

If Collingwood are trying to get Fev to the pies how will they find time to get the Ball deal done?

10:09 The entire Carlton entourage appeared here early. Including coach Brett Ratten and even assistant coaches Harvey and Lappin

10:09 No doubt trying to spruik a deal for Fev

10:10 Interestingly they were followed soon after by none other than....

10:10 The COLLINGWOOD entourage!

Heraldsun.com.au

Yeah, Carlton wants to get the Fev deal done, and Pies are there for Ball. What else do you have ?

Well, if Collingwood want Ball. And Port now have 8,9,16,..... . What do we make of Josh Fraser, now Jolly is at Collingwood ?

Could it be pick 16 that snags Ball ? The Pies could throw in one of their picks if need be. (ie pick 30)

Ie. Port get Fraser for pick 16; on trade pick 16 by the Pies for Luke Ball. Port need a ruck.

If it's not pick 16, it could be pick 9. Although pick 9 for Fraser I think is too much. Unless Pies throw pick 30 over in return.

HT, I couldn't see anyone trading for Fraser. He potentially the most over rated number 1 pick/ruckman in the league, With his dodgy knees I don't think anyone would bother with him. He will probably be on the outer at collingw**d in a couple of years if not sooner.

Agree mate. I want us to select a half decent player in the PSD with AFL experience over an 18 year old that's been over looked in a crap national draft. (Jurrah was tattslotto and we shouldn't assume that will happen again)

Would be great to have an established player that wants to play for Melbourne. I hope that player is Luke Ball.

They had a reporter on SEN this morning I think Mark Stevens ?? He stated that Luke Ball said he does not want to play for Melbourne. If true, Why not ?? He would get the game time he is after and play with one of the most exciting young lists going around.

the Filth will mop up now and grab Ball now theres not much else for them to get

They had a reporter on SEN this morning I think Mark Stevens ?? He stated that Luke Ball said he does not want to play for Melbourne. If true, Why not ?? He would get the game time he is after and play with one of the most exciting young lists going around.

Not to mention the money he's clearly after.

If true, Why not ?? He would get the game time he is after and play with one of the most exciting young lists going around.

to us the list is exciting, to the rest of the league not so much. we are still the laughing stock of the AFL.

the ONLY thing that could attract ball or another 25 y.o would be $$ because of the room we have in the cap.

things are looking up no doubt, and with watts, scully and trengove hopefully having an impact next year players perhaps will be attracted to the club. but until that happens we will continue to be a "selling club" rather than a "buying club" to borrow an EPL term.

As another astute poster said MFC are six years away from flag success. For Ball its like St Kilda circa 2001. His body wont last!

Money wont get us there either

to us the list is exciting, to the rest of the league not so much. we are still the laughing stock of the AFL.

the ONLY thing that could attract ball or another 25 y.o would be $$ because of the room we have in the cap.

things are looking up no doubt, and with watts, scully and trengove hopefully having an impact next year players perhaps will be attracted to the club. but until that happens we will continue to be a "selling club" rather than a "buying club" to borrow an EPL term.

I Know, I was telling a couple of mates at work how exciting our list was and all told me to take the hand off it !! KB on SEN is about the only non MFC supporter that agrees with me.

Spoken like a true Melbourne tragic THEY WILL SEE !!!

As another astute poster said MFC are six years away from flag success. For Ball its like St Kilda circa 2001. His body wont last!

Money wont get us there either

Astute as I am, I'd like to believe it might be earlier than six years. I just think a experienced, Hard body with pretty good skills will really add and help develop a young midfield.