2009 Player Review - # 6 Matthew Bate

Demonland

Matthew Bate – Matthew was very good and durable. He missed just two games for the season. He is a really important player, because he takes good opposition defenders and plays a lead-up role. His kicking also improved during the year, under Josh Mahoney. Matthew's conversion for goal was the best in the side. His flexibility also improved as he spent time in the midfield - Sean Wellman on Melbournefc.com.au

Was concerned the first few weeks of the season for him when he appeared top heavy;slow. As the season wore on he stripped fitter for his benefit and the the teams benefit by kicking much needed goals and clearly quicker across the ground. Is flexible for the team whether it be forward or a run through the midfield.

I hope he can hit the ground running in 2010 as he finished 2009; in good form.

Edited by High Tower

Yeah, same, first third of the season I was worried I'd over-rated the guy, but he proved he is a player.

No longer a fringe player who is in & out of the team.

Wish he was better below his knees and he has a turning circle like the ox, but he's still a good forward.

Expecting continued steady improvement from the Ginger Ninja in 2010. Consistently better performances.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Yep started slow but came home with a wet sail. I would like for him to get better on his right foot but he seems to be working on it as he used it a bit more this year (or at least that is my recollection). I look forward to seeing him play next year as I really rate the kid.

It's amazing how opinion changes on Bate.

Very happy to have this consistent, versatile, and mature 22 year old spend a decade in the forward line as we push for a flag.

Very capable of kicking 40 goals next season, or averaging 25 touches in the midfield.

Like almost any footballer, he has his strengths and weaknesses. And like any footballer you hope his strengths are what define him, in the end of his career.

I think being a consistent top-50 player is well within his grasp. But when Garry said this earlier this year, I thought maybe it was a touch premature.

Interesting that he was placed in the midfield for some time in the last few games. Was a great contributor in the Under 18's in the guts. However, stamina has been a problem. With a huge pre season who knows the future.Could develop into a very flexible player for us.

Bate's slow start is a great example of why the posters that are up and down like a yo-yo depending on performance in a given week or three need to be a little more circumspect.

Hopefully Bate can continue to improve. I'd like to see him hold more marks when on a lead (particularly those around shoulder and above height), and of course it'd be great if he can improve his agility.

The important aspect and certainly encouraging result is that he hasnt gone backwards this year but made some determined progress. A similar step up next year could really see him "arrive" .

Very happy to have this consistent, versatile, and mature 22 year old spend a decade in the forward line as we push for a flag.

Very capable of kicking 40 goals next season, or averaging 25 touches in the midfield.

Great comments. I think his positioning and decision-making is also very good, he's a very intelligent player. I think he suffered badly from poor delivery from the midfield, and when he did get good delivery he did very well with it. My point is that with consistently better delivery of more supply next year he'll do even better. Would have done him a lot of good to get some midfield time too, and did very well there.

Id be quite happy if he becomes the CHF we're looking for.

Where do others see him playing in the main ?

Id be quite happy if he becomes the CHF we're looking for.

Where do others see him playing in the main ?

That belongs in the Jack Watts thread.

HFF, roaming up the ground if the mids are under the gun or moving into space in the 50 - is a very good lead-up target.

But Jurrah will need his room and so will Watts.

Bate in between them being ignored would be my ideal.

That belongs in the Jack Watts thread.

HFF, roaming up the ground if the mids are under the gun or moving into space in the 50 - is a very good lead-up target.

But Jurrah will need his room and so will Watts.

Bate in between them being ignored would be my ideal.

Lets see..Im talking about Bate...in the Bate thread.. about being CHF.. :huh:

Yes Bate can be a good lead up..thats the whole point.. he has the range and strength to hold down that KPP.. Wold be wasted I think at FF. ALl of the three Watts..Jurrah and Bate can play all over the place. This makes for a very mobile and hard to muster forward attack. But someone has to essentially make CHF there own and control that part of the ground. I think he , Bate , now has that maturity and footy sense to do it.

Lets see..Im talking about Bate...in the Bate thread.. about being CHF.. :huh:

I don't think he'll be the traditional CHF but I've always liked him kicking to a target in forward 50. In fact we've got really good/promising players who play in the HF line who kick it well into fwd 50. Wonaemirri, Morton, Davey, Bate, Watts if he plays up field etc.

it really opens up a can of worms all but as to what nature of forward line we really want to have. The traditional setup is all but dead.. You used to have positins..with asscoaited roles.. Now you have a much more organic team within a team type situation.. You need good talls and good smalls. basically three of each but they need to operate more as a cohesive mobile unit than a one dimensional semi-static setup.

Yet pivotal to this is someone who not so much controls this but who can orchestrate play to suit. Thats todays CHF. Some who can play close to goal or lead up far depending on the nature of the game but bringing the rest of the forwards into the act.. Jurrah is actually very good at siting players and such. I dont see this so much as Watt's future. So in this definition I see Bate as a very good fit.

it really opens up a can of worms all but as to what nature of forward line we really want to have. The traditional setup is all but dead.. You used to have positins..with asscoaited roles.. Now you have a much more organic team within a team type situation.. You need good talls and good smalls. basically three of each but they need to operate more as a cohesive mobile unit than a one dimensional semi-static setup.

Yet pivotal to this is someone who not so much controls this but who can orchestrate play to suit. Thats todays CHF. Some who can play close to goal or lead up far depending on the nature of the game but bringing the rest of the forwards into the act.. Jurrah is actually very good at siting players and such. I dont see this so much as Watt's future. So in this definition I see Bate as a very good fit.

The more things change...

Riewoldt is your prototypical CHF of the modern era. Moves up the ground when needed, runs into space in all directions and attacks a pack when a long kick is directed forward.

I think Watts is more suited to this 'CHF type role.'

(And that was the point is was trying to make with my Watts remark in an earlier post. Lots of things taken the wrong way recently on 'Land. Just saying...)

The good - He is mobile for his size and a good kick.

The bad - He drops too many marks and is not hard enough at the ball or the contest. He will let you down in big games particularly when he is getting some attention from opponents.

I hope for the sake of the MFC I am wrong but nothing I saw this year changed an opinion I have held for a few years now.

The more things change...

Riewoldt is your prototypical CHF of the modern era. Moves up the ground when needed, runs into space in all directions and attacks a pack when a long kick is directed forward.

I think Watts is more suited to this 'CHF type role.'

point taken.. But I think atm Bate has far more the body and maturity to hold down that role.

If as you suggest Watts is the mobile-man then what of Bate...does he play some sort of fillup at FF ? Or are we still looking for this 'missing-link' KPP ?

If Bate is not FF or CHF... then where ? or is he the new solid winger type ?

one thing for sure..Bailey has quite a few options in rolling his dice

The good - He is mobile for his size and a good kick.

The bad - He drops too many marks and is not hard enough at the ball or the contest. He will let you down in big games particularly when he is getting some attention from opponents.

I hope for the sake of the MFC I am wrong but nothing I saw this year changed an opinion I have held for a few years now.

Big games?

We haven't had one of those since Freo in 2006.

He has also played as the number 1 forward and got the attention that comes with that mantle. And he had a very consistent year through that attention. Jurrah, Watts, and, possibly, one of Garland, Morton, and Wonaeamirri will relegate Bate to 3rd/4th 'attention-grabber' in the future.

Haven't seen him shirk a contest, his lack of lateral movement means he doesn't get to enough contests but I see him as hard enough.

As for the marking, he can have days where he is a 'one-grabber' and days when he is not. But he is 22 and has more than enough potential to get me excited, and he has done enough so far to justify that excitement.

Agree totally. How well the forward line functions depends on how well the individuals mesh together and how well the ball is delivered.

Bate is an integral part of any possible forward structure for several years, with Watts & Jurrah. Then there's 2 or 3 out of maybe half a dozen possible smalls, and one or two other talls (Martin? Garland? pick 18? even Miller or Newton if they improve?) that may be regulars or occasionals. But whoever else is there, it will be built around Bate & Watts & Jurrah, and that's fine by me.

And it may not matter which of them is CHF or FF or whatever if an "organic" (great word!) forward structure works better and is harder to defend against. One of the hardest things to get right, especially against top teams, is entry into attacking 50 - we're worst at that at the moment, but we need to develop strategies that make us the best. And when we do, we need forwards who will convert the hard work downfield, and Bate is our best converter.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

I thought when he started we had a really good third or so tall on our hands. Then last year and this year he was out out there as a first or second he struggled so I wondered if I had given him wraps too early. Nope. He spent most of the year as THE focal point and he was learning on the job. Not only did he get better when but people like Petterd and Jurrah began to find their feet down forward Bate began to not only believe in himself but was also given a bit more freedom as defenders started to worry about other players. Bate not only began to understand his role but in the later half of the season he began to exell at it.

I don't think that I have fully understood Baileys plan until now with some wonderful 20/20 hindsight but I think that Bate is a good example why we should stick with him, and also why Bate at 25 will be one of those players that other teams wish they had.

I like the future with fellas like him in the team.

point taken.. But I think atm Bate has far more the body and maturity to hold down that role.

If as you suggest Watts is the mobile-man then what of Bate...does he play some sort of fillup at FF ? Or are we still looking for this 'missing-link' KPP ?

If Bate is not FF or CHF... then where ? or is he the new solid winger type ?

one thing for sure..Bailey has quite a few options in rolling his dice

I agree with your earlier point that the traditional forward setup is history and this why I think the Master will become a very damaging forward in a few years time. Watts and Jurrah will take the 2 best backmen in the coming years leaving Bater with a lesser opponent where he could run amok. He is a big Unit and might even get bigger. He is not your classic CHF. He can look quite slow at times and the next game he can show some amazing speed which may come down to injury he may have carried at times during the season.

Tonnes of upside to Bater. Rate him highly!

For a couple of years I thought Bater's career had plateaued at the 'very average footballer' level. His encouraging performances in second half of this season have me reassessing this view, and I now think he has the potential to be a real asset, particularly in a forward structure that boasts some emerging talent to take some of the opposition's attention away from him.

imo could finish top 5 in the bluey, perhaps one of our most important and most consistant players all season. good footy smarts, fantastic hands, good pace when he gets a chance to use it. good delivery to him will see him kick a lot more goals thanks to a thumping kick. led the club for goal assists (19), which was 16th in the afl, and kicked 27 goals.

think of a player who can play what we have defined as the 'miller role' but who kicks goals, and makes quick decisions, has an ability to play closer to goal and push into the midfield.

another preseason and better endurance will see him be able to run even harder. he will be a player that the others can grow around. rate him highly atm.

oh and completely unselfish player in my book, will happily give it off for the good of the team.