Best & Fairest

H_T

Best First Year player - Jamie Bennell

Best first year player this year will be tough I reckon. It's only a two horse race between Bennell and Jetta, but while Bennell was better in the first half of the year, I'd say Jetta has been much better in the second. Should be interesting.

fist year player ?? cough....Jurrah !!!!

I honestly don't understand these claims that Mclean has had a poor season.

Doggo, you used stats to say Sylvia has had a very good year - 22.1 touches per match.

Mclean has averaged 21.9

I can think of few reasons why Mclean has had a poor season:

1. He's so slow he looks like he's running backwards;

2. He's kicking has no penetration, depth, or accuracy;

3. He doesnt kick enough goals;

4. He doesnt take enough marks;

5. He makes too many clangers and poor decisions in traffic;

6. He can't handle tags, or doesnt work hard enough to beat them;

7. As a supposed topline midfielder, he has had numerous games where he was barely sighted.

Off the top of my head....

36 touches against the Dogs, but his ball-use was deplorable that day IIRC. If you go back and find the votes thread from that match, I'm sure you'll probably find that he was easily covered for votes by Beamer and Cale (37 disposals each), and Davey (28). Hardly a "stand-out" performance.

I might be being a bit harsh on Brock, but only because i rate him highly and expect more from him as a player. Sadly he hasn't delivered this year.

The reason i brought stats into the Sylvia thread was more to show the vast improvement he has made. With Brock, the stats show nothing except perhaps that he has plateued from his early career-form. While comparable disposal wise, he has failed to recapture the impact he had in his 2006 season.

Stats are largely irrelevant when discussing Brock's form IMO, because of the nature of his role. I've no issues with his ball-winning capabilities. He wins inside contested ball and is smart ball-winner that'll always get his 20 or thereabouts if given some latitude. Problem is, so will his opponent, and often in more dangerous parts of the ground and with more damaging effectiveness. The main issues i have had with him this year are his inability to impact games the way he has in previous seasons, his inability to limit the influence of his (often much faster) opponents, inability to find space and be damaging with his ball use, inability to work hard enough to shake a tag (Bris and Geel games great examples), and a general lack of defensive pressure. He's a great tackler, but only in tight. Running like molasses means his chase is basically non-existent. Now a lot of this may be fitness related, but is that really a viable excuse? If he's playing, he's fit, and there is a certain level that i have come to expect from him when he is fit.

I guess I'll reserve full judgement until i see how he performs next year with a full-preseason under his belt, but at this stage he strikes me as the least valuable component of our future midfield. That's not to say i don't like him or want him to get back to where he was; just that i'm not enitrely convinced he can do it. If you're satisfied with his form, then good for you. But IMO he has had a poor year and i know i expect more from such a talent.

Feel free to flame away, but that's just how i've seen him this year.

edit: Found the votes thread from that Bulldogs match HG, not one person had McLean as their best player, and many didn't have him in the votes at all, yourself included.. ;)

http://forums.demonland.com/index.php?show...02&hl=votes

Edited by Doggo

I can think of few reasons why Mclean has had a poor season:

1. He's so slow he looks like he's running backwards;

2. He's kicking has no penetration, depth, or accuracy;

3. He doesnt kick enough goals;

4. He doesnt take enough marks;

5. He makes too many clangers and poor decisions in traffic;

6. He can't handle tags, or doesnt work hard enough to beat them;

7. As a supposed topline midfielder, he has had numerous games where he was barely sighted.

Off the top of my head....

Then everyone had a poor season, and considering McLean is only competing for the Bluey against Melbourne players, he is a shoe-in for top 5.

fist year player ?? cough....Jurrah !!!!

YEAH I KNOW! Can't believe people missed this. A certainty!

Davey should win the Best and Fairest, I reckon Moloney and Sylvia will be 2nd and 3rd.

Davey, Moloney, Bruce, McLean, Jones, Frawley, Bate, Morton, Grimes, and Sylvia.

Pretty close to order, I would think.

Sylvia in 10th spot rpfc. Interesting.

I'd be surprised if he didn't make top 10 easily. I'd raise an eyebrow if he didn't finish top 5.

He's average start to the season and the 4 games missed courtesy of suspension will obviously be telling factors in the B&F.

I'd be surprised if he didn't make top 10 easily. I'd raise an eyebrow if he didn't finish top 5.

He's average start to the season and the 4 games missed courtesy of suspension will obviously be telling factors in the B&F.

You could also argue that the club would be very conscious of rewarding Sylvia at this stage of his career, for fear of him falling into the same trap of being comfortable and pleased with himself.

He's had a very good season, but he needs to keep backing it up before accolades are bestowed upon him. IMO anyway.

You could also argue that the club would be very conscious of rewarding Sylvia at this stage of his career, for fear of him falling into the same trap of being comfortable and pleased with himself.

He's had a very good season, but he needs to keep backing it up before accolades are bestowed upon him. IMO anyway.

Isn't the B+F based on a 'votes per game' system? On that basis it would be hard to fudge the results to prevent rewarding particular players unless they consciously scaled his votes per game, but that is dishonest and I can't see how it would work.

I agree about Sylvia's need for consistency, but I don't see how he could've been any more consistent than he was for the second half of this year when his best was excellent, and his worst was merely good. When can we conclude that he's been 'consistent'?

Isn't the B+F based on a 'votes per game' system? On that basis it would be hard to fudge the results to prevent rewarding particular players unless they consciously scaled his votes per game, but that is dishonest and I can't see how it would work.

I agree about Sylvia's need for consistency, but I don't see how he could've been any more consistent than he was for the second half of this year when his best was excellent, and his worst was merely good. When can we conclude that he's been 'consistent'?

When he backs it up next year, and the year after that, and the year after that.

Yes he has been very good this year, but he also stuffed up at the start of the year when he broke curfew, and again when he got himself suspended for a seriously dumb act against West Coast.

Sylvia is his own worst enemy and if the club is fearful of rewarding him, it would be very easy for them to give him low votes in games where he probably deserves top votes. If it means he doesn't get ahead of himself again, than I'm all for it.

He can and should be a valuable member of our team going forward, but at the moment he is still stuck in between "great player" and "basket-case". One good season after 5 years of disappointments from a top 3 pick is not enough for me to sit back and say that he deserves to be showered with accolades.

Please don't take this as Sylvia bashing, because I think he has been absolutely terrific this season and is seriously talented.

• 3 weeks later...

Sylvia played the best game of any MFC player this year (Hawks) and would have 2 or 3 other games in the top 10 but the B+F rewards consistency and that is why Davey, Moloney, Bruce, Bate, and Frawley will (IMO) finish above him. Morton, Jones, McLean, and Grimes will finish around where Sylvia finishes.

He was much more consistent than in previous years, but that is coming off a low base.