Changes for next week

About Morton:

1. He plays frightened

2. He has a big motor

3. Has poor disposal - kicking and hand-ball

4. Racks up possessions

His future? He will be an important player ONLY if he racks up possions and hurts the opposition. Any player who currently hurts the opposition gets a (heavy) tag. Morton will never handle a tag.

If the GC would give up an (early) pick for Morton, I'd take it in a heart-beat.

Rumour has it that many clubs in the 07 draft didn't consider Morton because "he didn't have a love for a contest".

End of story.

Thats what i hate about these forums. Always find a way to discriminate our younger players that we all hold hopes on after they make mistakes that come with YOUNG PLAYERS!!!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About Morton:

1. He plays frightened

2. He has a big motor

3. Has poor disposal - kicking and hand-ball

4. Racks up possessions

His future? He will be an important player ONLY if he racks up possions and hurts the opposition. Any player who currently hurts the opposition gets a (heavy) tag. Morton will never handle a tag.

If the GC would give up an (early) pick for Morton, I'd take it in a heart-beat.

Rumour has it that many clubs in the 07 draft didn't consider Morton because "he didn't have a love for a contest".

End of story.

I doubt its the end.

I would put faith in our development coaches to get the most out of Cale Morton.

He has a raking kick, great vision, a huge engine, and has a good head on his shoulders.

He could be one of the greatest wingers in our history.

I wouldn't trade this bloke at 19.

Mono, I see you as someone to make quick judgements and stick to them relentlessly. If I have learned anything from my 'Garland-delist' debacle of early 2008, sometimes you need to take a deep breath and realise that being wrong is a part of being human.

You're very human, is what i'm trying to say.

If you don't like the comments then don't read them? Sometimes you need to take a look at yourself and realise you are the same :lol:

Your on this forum and give me such a comprehensive reaction and your calling me sad?

Supporting a club is about enjoying your team AND OR players in the team. If you cant do that then what's the point? Get over the fact the my opinion is not the same as yours.

And if you think me writing on this forum puts pressure on players like Cale Morton well you live in a dream world.

There is a reason Cale was taken at pick 4 and im pretty sure all those experts no a bit more than your pointless view on this forum, along with mine and everyone else's. There is also a reason Scott Clayton from GC17 thinks Cale will eventually be one of the best players in the AFL in years to come.

Why do you think he has not been dropped? MFC are not stupid they know what they are doing.

I enjoy getting behind Cale, but I am not biased, read my posts and see that if people are not playing well I will tell it how it is. You just expect to much of young players and have obviously forgotten what its like to be his age, and how much difference each year will make in his development and maturity as a player.

You still failed to answer my question.

I respect your opinion. I hear your opinion. But I am asking, based on what we have seen from Morton as a footballer thus far, what makes you think he will be a "superstar" as you say. What makes him a very good player right now? All I have heard from you is that he can run hard, push to space and create options which is a great thing as I said in my last post. Does that make him a very good player?

As another poster stated. If he was damaging with his disposal then opposition sides would show the kid more respect. Does that not tell you something? He plays loose as hell and for all I care he could rack up 57 possies in a match but unless those possessions are damaging and damaging to sides, then I refuse to predict him becoming a "superstar" let alone a very good player as you say.

I am looking forward to how our younger players develop over the years just as you are Mr Morton. It's not that I don't like your post or what you said in it. I am simply asking why you think he is a very good player and will become a superstar, just as you questioned why Morton should be dropped.

Personally, I don't know why he hasn't had a run with Casey yet. I don't see any improvements in him this year compared to last year. Do you? If so, what are they?

From what I can gather, you enjoyed Scott Clayton's comments about him becoming "one of the best players in the competition" a little too much and the fact that he was snapped up at number "4" in the draft has you drooling.

I couldn't care less about when he was picked up in the draft.

Andrew Walker - Number 2, 2003 draft.

Farren Ray - Number 4, 2003 draft.

Michael Rischitelli - Number 61, 2003 draft.

Heath Shaw - Number 48, 2003 draft.

There is an example of the 2003 draft with some high draft picks and some low draft picks. Which two would you rather in your side?

Pretty sure the experts know hey?? Hmmm it seems so.

You can find these cases in every draft Mr Morton so don't bore me with this crap about experts knowing because clearly they don't ALWAYS know. No one does. I'm sure the MAJORITY of high draft picks may become better players then low ones but as I have just proved, it's not always the case.

Now for my changes...

Out: Miller, Petterd, Robertson, Jetta

In: Newton, Dunn, Bate, Maric

Maric didn't do enough IMO to deserve a call up. Granted he was injured early and played with considerable discomfort, he struggled to get into the match and made some silly fundamental errors (like kicking into the man on the mark when having a shot). I'd persist with Jetta against the Eagles for now. I thought he was one of our better players against Brisbane and showed a lot more than he has in previous games. His defensive pressure was great, and if he had kicked straight, would've made the bests. To drop him after his best showing to date wouldn't do his confidence much good, and elevating Maric after a mediocre performance can't be good either.

I doubt its the end.

I would put faith in our development coaches to get the most out of Cale Morton.

He has a raking kick, great vision, a huge engine, and has a good head on his shoulders.

Mono, I see you as someone to make quick judgements and stick to them relentlessly. If I have learned anything from my 'Garland-delist' debacle of early 2008, sometimes you need to take a deep breath and realise that being wrong is a part of being human.

I remember Col Sylvia's first (lousy) game and his subsequent poor form. And I remember being very upset with him and wanting him out of the team and traded. I'm glad I didn't get my wish.

I remember Col Garland's first few games and early poor form and I along with many others on this forum wanted him delisted ASAP. I'm glad I didn't get my wish.

However,I've seen too many good games from Cale Morton to realise that he will be an exceptional football player. At 19 he still has much to learn but will learn more and be of more use playing senior football than playing in the VFL.

I do not like knocking MFC players on this forum but there are others I'd drop before Morton, and they've had many more years at the club than Morton.

Cale Morton may or may not be a future "elite" football player (although I think he will be) but with a little luck the kid'll be with us for at least the next decade!

In - Jamar, Maric, Cheney, McDonald, Bate

Out - Bruce, PJ, Robertson, McLean, Whelan

B - Bennell Frawley Warnock

HB - Grimes Rivers Green

C - Davey Sylvia Morton

HF - Bate Miller Maric

F - Martin Jurrah Watts

R - Jamar Moloney McDonald

IC - Jetta Cheney Jones Petterd

Given the morale sapping losses recently and the impression of the toll of the long season on young bodies, I think MFC should give their best and brightest hopes the opportunity to really have a go at WCE as a win would be a wonderful tonic for the players efforts.

If we lose to WCE and the same young players are struggling, I would:

1. Drop Morton and Bennell and let them get some confidence back in the VFL. Watts probably gets another week.

2. Rest McLean if indeed he is injured.

3. Play Valenti, Dunn, Newton, Wheatley and Bell so they can play for their careers, possibly (long bow) get some trade value and collateral damage against have the kids get confronted with losses.

4. Bring in Jamar and drop PJ.

I would love to drop dead weights like Robbo (not the only one) but if we are to sustain continuing heavy losses that are going to sap morale then I would rather he and his like copped them

I would say that Morton has a restricted weights program during the season as to not overload him whilst playing games.

The question i pose then is, would it be better for us to fast track his physical development with an all year round weights and muscle gaining program, and restrict his games? Just a thought, because Watts cops a fair bit for being a boy amongst men, but so is Cale. He doesn't go in hard enough at a lot of contests, which i am hoping is just a lack of confidence in his own physicality.

Mr.Morton routinely gets on here and has a fair crack at players like Ricky Petterd,and although Petterd is not as naturally gifted and may never be the player Cale will be. Cale could learn a thing or two off Ricky about going in hard at the footy.

B: BRUCE, FRAWLEY, BENNELL

HB: WATTS, WARNOCK, DAVEY

C: GREEN, JONES, MOLONEY

HF: SYLVIA, MORTON, BATE

F: JURRAH, NEWTON, JETTA

FOLL: JAMAR, GRIMES, VALENTI

IC: STRAUSS, MARTIN, PETTERD, HUGHES

Bruce on LeCras

Frawley on McKinnley

Warnock on Naitanui\Lynch

Grimes on Kerr

Watts off half back so he can try and get a kick to take the pressure off him.

Morton at CHF so he gets knocked around a bit. I think he needs it just so he can realise how much weight he has to put on. Playing him on the wing just gives him the option of trying to get cheap kicks

Newton in just because I can't stand Miller.

Strauss in for his kicking

Hughes in just to add something different.

B: BRUCE, FRAWLEY, BENNELL

HB: WATTS, WARNOCK, DAVEY

C: GREEN, JONES, MOLONEY

HF: SYLVIA, MORTON, BATE

F: JURRAH, NEWTON, JETTA

FOLL: JAMAR, GRIMES, VALENTI

IC: STRAUSS, MARTIN, PETTERD, HUGHES

Bruce on LeCras

Frawley on McKinnley

Warnock on Naitanui\Lynch

Grimes on Kerr

Watts off half back so he can try and get a kick to take the pressure off him.

Morton at CHF so he gets knocked around a bit. I think he needs it just so he can realise how much weight he has to put on. Playing him on the wing just gives him the option of trying to get cheap kicks

Newton in just because I can't stand Miller.

Strauss in for his kicking

Hughes in just to add something different.

Le Cras would tear Bruce a new one.

Frawley played on him really well before getting injured at Subi, so i think they may resume their battle this week.

Unless Grimes is going to play in the guts, i don't think he'll be matching up on Kerr.

Le Cras would tear Bruce a new one.

Frawley played on him really well before getting injured at Subi, so i think they may resume their battle this week.

Unless Grimes is going to play in the guts, i don't think he'll be matching up on Kerr.

I wouldn't say that LeCras would tear Bruce plays well on that type of player like the Johnson's but Frawley did play well on him last time so yes I would swap Frawley and Bruce around.

I would play Grimes in the guts. We need to change the midfield with new faces McLean, Jones and Moloney combination has not worked and if McDonald is fit he must play at Casey his form doesn't warrant being rushed straight back in.

I doubt its the end.

RPFC, you have been very easy on me - I appreciate it!

Presuming a side has the skills to deal with uncontested possessions, AFL today is about contested ball. Players then fall into 1 of 3 brackets: those that love a contest, those that can deal with a contest and those that squib a contest.

Morton falls into the latter. He squibbed a contest dramatically in his first game; he has squibbed any contest since. That's 18 months and 32? games. I don't think that's making a quick judgement and sticking to it relentlessly. (For an example of a light-weight player who falls into category 2, try Xavier Ellis. He's light, and doesn't necessarily seek a contest, but doesn't shirk one either.)

FWIW, I'm not attacking Morton the person, just he doesn't have the personal qualities to make it as a punishing (= good) player. Shirking/not shirking a contest is largely built into us. You might learn it young, but you certainly can't un-learn it later in life.

And just think. If his great possession haul ever starts to really hurt quality opposition, all they will have to do is put real physical pressure on him (legal or not), and it's game over.

As for great wingman, Dixon and Flower come to mind. Dixon had real hardness, Flower had almost insane bravery. Morton sadly neither.

And is my judgement infallible? Certainly not! I never rated Ross Lyon as a coach.

So it goes. :rolleyes:

And a final comment. Steven Stretch was an excellent player for the MFC in the 80's, often as a wing/half-back. He is now largely remembered for pulling out of a head-on contest with Robert Dipiodomenico in the 87 GF. Not sure what it means, but that a signal moment can sum up a career is supremely sad. Morton is in danger of having his career summed up with his squibbing a contest in his first game because he has done nothing in 18 months since to correct it. The longer it goes, the less convincing, and likely, it is to be corrected.

Guest Digga
although Petterd is not as naturally gifted and may never be the player Cale will be. Cale could learn a thing or two off Ricky about going in hard at the footy.

Yes I agree with that, and I do agree that cale is not hard at the footy like petterd but I think it just comes with his CURRENT size and age. He will shake this

assumption that he is weak soon.

And a final comment. Steven Stretch was an excellent player for the MFC in the 80's, often as a wing/half-back. He is now largely remembered for pulling out of a head-on contest with Robert Dipiodomenico in the 87 GF. Not sure what it means, but that a signal moment can sum up a career is supremely sad. Morton is in danger of having his career summed up with his squibbing a contest in his first game because he has done nothing in 18 months since to correct it. The longer it goes, the less convincing, and likely, it is to be corrected.

Stretchwas indeed an excellent player and to rank his career just on avoiding a near death collision is folly for the fool minded. You could do better that label Morton the same way. The kid is 19 in a side with no leadership and is being pulverised. He got a chance to address that and realise what footy is about. He has a great package of skills to display at this level. Defintely the player we need patience and support for.

I doubt its the end.

Took the words out of my mouth

You still failed to answer my question.

I will be lazy and just tell you to read the post above :D

I can see your point but it is my opinion. I realise that he cannot handle a contest but I tend to not factor that in because he is so young and will eventually put on 5 - 10 kg and grow some courage :lol: .

Good to see nothing has changed :rolleyes:

Bruce was our second best player last weekend. So yes, a good idea to drop him.

Yeah it was bruce's best game for the year! And he played well.

Prob Petterd out for Hughes.

Jmac might come in for Bennel.

I dont think we will see wholesale changes this week

I personally wouldnt mind seeing Hughes gets a game..

Has been getting ok numbers at Casey and is at an age where if we don't try him, he's finished. So we have nothing to lose by this selection.

It's impossible to predict the changes when you don't know the injury status.

That said, I'd drop Morton. I think I'm one of his biggest fans and have regularly gone into bat for him on the forums. I'm also on record as saying that he and Watts are the two most valuable commodities on our list, but he needs to know that he can't get away with not committing to contests. He hasn't gone hard enough far too often. Tthere are consequences to the decisions that players are making on the footy field.

The coach needs to make a stand early in his career and show him what is acceptable and what's not. He can't preach about body on the line stuff and commitment to other young players starting out on their journey, yet tolerate less than 100% efforts from one of his more talented players. A coach can't build a non compromising tough footy team by ignoring such efforts. Just talking about it behind closed doors won't change behaviour. He needs to make a statement to the player in question, which in turn let's all players in the team know what won't be tolerated.

Is he a weak coach, or a non compromising one ? I'll know on Thursday.

RPFC, you have been very easy on me - I appreciate it!

Presuming a side has the skills to deal with uncontested possessions, AFL today is about contested ball. Players then fall into 1 of 3 brackets: those that love a contest, those that can deal with a contest and those that squib a contest.

Morton falls into the latter. He squibbed a contest dramatically in his first game; he has squibbed any contest since. That's 18 months and 32? games. I don't think that's making a quick judgement and sticking to it relentlessly. (For an example of a light-weight player who falls into category 2, try Xavier Ellis. He's light, and doesn't necessarily seek a contest, but doesn't shirk one either.)

FWIW, I'm not attacking Morton the person, just he doesn't have the personal qualities to make it as a punishing (= good) player. Shirking/not shirking a contest is largely built into us. You might learn it young, but you certainly can't un-learn it later in life.

And just think. If his great possession haul ever starts to really hurt quality opposition, all they will have to do is put real physical pressure on him (legal or not), and it's game over.

As for great wingman, Dixon and Flower come to mind. Dixon had real hardness, Flower had almost insane bravery. Morton sadly neither.

And is my judgement infallible? Certainly not! I never rated Ross Lyon as a coach.

So it goes. :rolleyes:

Sadly I concur with everything you have posted Mono.

Bailey seems to be giving guys who come in from casey 2 consecutive weeks even if their form isnt great in their return game (jetta, cheney and bell week before) so i think Petterd will stay in.

I cant see anyone from Casey getting slected this week on form, but i think there has to be some changes given the atrocious form of guys like Johnson,Mclean, Morton, miller, Robbo.