2009 player positives & negatives

Freak

Lets look on the bright side of things: players that have improved or shown something that makes you smile :)

here is my list

Moloney- has improved significantly this year: averaging 24.8 touches a game. Finally getting on the park is a big positive.

Sylvia- averaging 21touches, 6 marks and has kicked 14 goals for the year. His last month has been awesome.

Jamar - In his 2 games has averaged 30 hitouts. This is good as it looks like he can be our number 1 ruckmen for a few years

Frawley- Really taken his game to the next level. Cant wait til he bulks up even more. Fast, aggressive and breaks the lines. Its been his breakout season

Morton- His ball finding ability (moreso than his quality of disposal) has been fantastic. Averaging 25 touches a game and 7 marks

Bennell- looks a classy player and a real find with pick 35. Stole one from West Coast here who openly stated they wanted him with pick 36. Good foot skills. Can't wait til he bulks up and gets another pre-season.

Davey- Finally stupid comparisons between Alwyn and Aaron have seized after Aaron has found plenty of the ball and consistency. Averaging 23.6 touches per game.

Negatives

Wonaeamirri- damn injury

Blease- this cut deep. Really would have been good to see him play. even if it was just for casey

Newton - not getting a game. Deserves it and I believe would kick 3+ goals per game if given the chance. I'd feel sick in the stomach with Watts debuting when he deserved to play before him

Bate: His form has been a worry. People on this site think kicking actions can be fixed. No they cant. Bate is a prime example and his kicking has been ordinary at best. He is shocking below the knees and I think this season hasnt been a good one for big red.

Maric: i had him, along with petterd, as some of our best youngsters. A skilful player with good footskills is what we need but he hasnt been getting enough of the ball and has sprayed some shots on goal. I expected more. I would play him in the backline to get his hands on the leather more and it would be good to have some decent kicks coming out of defence for once

Morton- both a positive and a negative. His disposals havent improved

Garland- injury. total let down. I enjoy watching him play. I was also disappointed that he hadnt put on any kilograms over the pre-season. If anything he looked smaller. Hopefully he isnt slacking off in the weights room.

Bruce- still getting games is quite frustrating. No matter what he did against the pies he stuffed it up. Whether it was kicking into the man on the mark, fumbling, dropping marks, handballing to players in trouble or kicking helicopter kick..he did the lot! Even when he marked the ball, he'd play on and get chased down. I've made up my mind on Bruce.

Anyway- id be interested to hear ur opinions on ur own +'s and - 's

Jamar - In his 2 games has averaged 30 hitouts. This is good as it looks like he can be our number 1 ruckmen for a few years

My God. It's amazing. You can stick the boot into a player who's "ball drop" isn't exactly as you'd like it, call them a spud and write them off forever. And yet this guy, who has kicked less balls straight in his career than Bruce has this year, gets your stamp of approval. For 2 games. In which he had less possessions than any one of Bruce's. In which his effectiveness was only passable. And while his taps were numerous, they meant absolutely nothing to the outcome of the game. Take a good hard look. Jamar has not "improved." Add to this that he has probably never played a better game of football either. Don't be fooled by the number of hit-outs. It's an archaic statistic that has no more relevance now than it did when White was getting heaps of them.

Davey- Finally stupid comparisons between Alwyn and Aaron have seized after Aaron has found plenty of the ball and consistency.

Don't you just love that. Just because he wears black as one of his colours instead of blue... and within a few rounds the so-called experts had him ahead of Aaron. The first brother did everything Alwyn has done five years ago, and did it better. But that's completely ignored. I'm pleased now that the gulf is widening.

Alwyn is "a" Davey. Aaron is "the" Davey.

Wonaeamirri- damn injury

Could be considered a plus. His infectious energy might have netted another Freo style comeback, and won us a few games. Could be a blessing in disguise.

Blease- this cut deep. Really would have been good to see him play. even if it was just for casey

No huge loss. The big thing is whether or not it hampers his progress next year and into the future. If he loses a yard, we'd never know. Also it would have been nice to let him see the pace of the game, like Watts/Garland/Grimes... before the coming preseason.

Bate: His form has been a worry. People on this site think kicking actions can be fixed. No they cant. Bate is a prime example and his kicking has been ordinary at best. He is shocking below the knees and I think this season hasnt been a good one for big red.

Yup. I reckon they're really trying to teach him a game he's never played before. He's doing the percentage things. But what's been taken away is that awesome sight of him belting down a wing to the flank and bombing it from 60 out. He was dangerous and a coaches nightmare when he was doing that. I've barely seen him out of the fifty this year. I can juuust manage to put this year down as teething problems for him. My worry is if his form continues into next year. If he's NEVER going to be a good KP forward, then put him somewhere he's shown ability... Those calling for him to be axed or traded lose all credibility the minute they hit the "add reply" button.

Oh, and Freak, I don't think as many people think kicking actions can be "fixed" as you say. They just don't think kicking "action" is as important as you do. Actually, I don't think anyone thinks it's as important as you do.

Maric: i had him, along with petterd, as some of our best youngsters. A skilful player with good footskills is what we need but he hasnt been getting enough of the ball and has sprayed some shots on goal. I expected more. I would play him in the backline to get his hands on the leather more and it would be good to have some decent kicks coming out of defence for once

This is one I disagree with. He's shown plenty I reckon. He's not getting lots of it, but from what I understand he's a player who only needs 10 or so touches. Rather like Stevie Johnson, minus 10 touches a game. Expecting that polish now is a bit unreasonable. But your disappointment may be justified if it's revealed he doesn't have the ability to move into the midfield... If he's purely a forward, it might make him a bit inflexible.

Bruce- still getting games is quite frustrating. No matter what he did against the pies he stuffed it up. Whether it was kicking into the man on the mark, fumbling, dropping marks, handballing to players in trouble or kicking helicopter kick..he did the lot! Even when he marked the ball, he'd play on and get chased down. I've made up my mind on Bruce.

So Bruce should be dropped? Come on Freak. He's not going to be dropped. Nor does he need to be. He had a shocker on Monday, but so did everyone (except Sylvia). We keep saying this over and over... just because you can't get excited and see a future with a 29yr old player doesn't mean he's not required for everything else he does.

Mine:

Positives: You pointed out the obvious ones. But I think some honourable mentions have to be directed at Martin, who's done well this year up until the last couple of rounds. Jones, who is hated for his kicking, but is improving in every other category. Meesen, who's been forgotten, but who was on the scrapheap before the season started. So by definition alone that's a HUGE improvement.

Negatives:

Buckley. Where to from here? Has me very worried. He may be saved by the fact that after 2009 we won't be recruiting heavily. Don't count on it though. His injury isn't his fault, but a tough call may need to be made.

Dunn. Probably the biggest disappointment for me. I'm not surprised you ommitted him Freak, as we all know you rate him... The fact is he has many of the skills, just like Newton, but when he gets senior games, those skills (while still present) aren't put to any use. I have always been hopeful with him, especially after he found some form in at least one position last year. I thought that would be the making of him. But he's gone backwards this year. And I don't understand why. He's not hurt.

Bell. From all accounts he was primed for a big run in the midfield before round 1. Then he got hurt, and he doesn't have the early career form for the FD to feel justified in keeping him. I like him, but I'm conscious he's in a lot of trouble.

Miller. Not doing enough.

Petterd. Here's one I thought would do more. I really rate him, and you could see he was really struggling just before he got dropped. I reckon the footy department like him too, but he needed a spell more than he needed to be persisted with at the top level. Not panic stations.

Rivers. He's back, and he's as smart and as good a stopper as he's ever been. But he isn't moving as well or as far as I remember. Could still be limited a bit. He's not going to get dropped, but I wonder if his body is there yet.

Strauss. He's built for the AFL and has been playing very good footy for Casey. Why isn't he playing? It's not like Blease has taken his place.

Wheatley. Scrapheap for mine. No disgrace, but it's time.

Whelan. He's back, and he's playing as he always has, minus a yard or two. He might get another year... and if we were headed for finals, he would be useful. But I've seen him struggle a bit lately. I love him, and like Neitz, JMac and Robbo he deserves to make the choice himself. But it may be made for him, which would be a shame.

Good thread.

Positives

Colin Sylvia: Fantastic to see him playing with self-belief and the vigour that comes with trusting one's fitness. He's a damaging player when in this sort of form.

Jamie Bennell: Looks a keeper on exposed form. Fast, skilful and has the sort of frame that will carry some weight.

Kyle Cheney: I've been very impressed with his composure and courage in defence. Even if this is what we get for the next seven years, he's been a good selection. With luck, he'll continue to improve. Whelan's replacement.

John Meesen: Like many, I thought he was toast at the end of this season but some encouraging performances in the ruck have softened my stance. Not a definite long-termer yet but he's shown enough to warrant his third year.

James Frawley: Looks like he'll become the strong, fast, composed key defender we've lacked for many years. It's always a relief when high-end draft choices show why they commanded selection.

Aaron Davey: It was time for Flash to pull his finger out and he's done so in spectacular style. However, he's starting to get tagged out of half-back, a la Luke Hodge, and he needs to show he can cope with the attention. That's his challenge for the second half of the year.

Brent Moloney: Strong, tough and a leader. I had a moment of apoplexy last year when I declared to the TV that I didn't care if he played for Melbourne again after a series of selfish, undisciplined acts in an early-season game against Carlton. Glad no one of note was listening.

Negatives

Michael Newton: Showed very little when played at AFL level early in the season and while his VFL form has been excellent, he needs to translate that to the elite level sooner rather than later. His skill set is enviable but he needs to get his head together, and soon.

Paul Johnson: Played a couple of strong games when asked to carry the ruck but his disposal and decision making has let his teammates down too often. I suspect he'll remain on the list but he needs to improve several aspects of his game to be a damaging player. Happily, his workrate isn't one of them.

Brock McLean: Only half a negative here because his new, mature attitude is a welcome development. I'll bet London to a brick that OP or something similar curtailed his disposal in the first half of the year but that looks to be behind him now. Like Nathan Jones, he needs to sharpen his decision-making in the second half of the year as the speed of the game continues to increase.

Ricky Petterd: He's got courage in spades and never stops working. But skills have let him down and he's yet to make a position his own. A likeable player with considerable upside but I don't know where he fits in this team. I suspect the Gold Coast will be looking very closely at him at the end of next year.

James McDonald: Not a negative per se, but it's unfortunate that Junior's body hasn't held up to the rigours of the game this season. Fingers crossed he can get himself right for the second half of the season and lead our victorious boys off the field on no more than three occasions.

Injuries: Garland, Meesen, Wonaeamirri, Blease. A pity in three of these cases, but it could be a blessing in disguise for Blease. It will give him a chance to put on some much-needed size, but as Freak said, it would have been good to see him at VFL level.

Positives: Frawley, Bennell, Davey, Sylvia, Jones, Warnock, Grimes, Meesen, Cheney and the membership.

Dissapointments: MacDoggy, Bate, McLean - remember that elimination final agaisnt the sainters...That was when I saw players such Bate and Mclean as future superstars...this year, Brock has looked unfit and maybe he needs to drop some weight and have some time out of the big league where its difficult to lose weight when you have to carbo load etc etc...

and I want to see Bate leading right out of the flanks like he used to...as Dappa pointed out, if he is not going to be a KP player, play when where we liked him

Players that I'm bored of: Dunn, Newton

Players I'm not sure about: Bruce, Whelan, Bell

Ricky Petterd: He's got courage in spades and never stops working. But skills have let him down and he's yet to make a position his own. A likeable player with considerable upside but I don't know where he fits in this team. I suspect the Gold Coast will be looking very closely at him at the end of next year.

It's got to the point where I'd be more than happy for the Gold Coast to take him, if it means your Mortons and Sylvia's remain Dees.

Bailey's tried him up front as a defensive fwd I suspect, but it hasn't worked. Like to see him at half back where he made that spectacular debut.

It's got to the point where I'd be more than happy for the Gold Coast to take him, if it means your Mortons and Sylvia's remain Dees.

Bailey's tried him up front as a defensive fwd I suspect, but it hasn't worked. Like to see him at half back where he made that spectacular debut.

I think in the long run, that's probably going to be his best position. There may be room for him in that role with Melbourne, once Grimes moves off HB into the midfield. But then you've got the dilemma of where to play Green, with Bennell taking one flank and a surplus of tall, mobile defenders to fit into the mix.

Not to mention Strauss eventually coming into the team, where it seems he's best suited to HB as well.

I don't know that we'd suffer greatly from losing Ricky to GC. But if I had to choose, I'd probably rather keep him as he has something to offer in a 22.

Positives: Sylvia, Frawley, Meesen, Warnock, Davey, Bennell, Moloney, Cheney

Loving Sylvia's new outlook on football and life in general. Frawley and Warnock are standing up in defence. Bennell and Cheney look like good future players. Davey has taken his game to another level, and is in line for AA selection this year. I've always loved Moloney's toughness, but this year he's showing leadership qualities too. And Meesen was tipped by many of us to be a useless player, but I like what I've seen in him.

Disappointments: Whelan, Newton, Robertson, Petterd, McLean, Jones, Johnson, Dunn, Bell

I thought Whelan would still have the ability to play AFL football this year, but he's really struggling ATM. Newton, Bell and Dunn basically qualify for this category automatically. Just stagnant careers. Petterd has been played out of position, but I still think he could have had more of an influence on matches. McLean and Jones are letting us down in the midfield at a time when a lot of us thought they'd have stepped up a notch (I wouldn't be surprised if McLean is carrying an injury, though). And Johnson is going backwards.

Injuries that hurt: Wonnaeamirri, Garland, Blease, Strauss

Injuries I don't care about: Buckley

And dappa dan regarding jamar, he is a ruckman, and will never have to kick all that often, hence his kicking style doesnt bother to much, im just happy he gets his fair share of hitouts now.

I agree with alot of ur points too. And whilst I do like Dunn, I am disappointed that he is still being played out of position instead of being played as a third tall where he showed that he could kick goals consistently.

And Strauss's form has been good but he has only played 2 games for casey seniors where he didnt get all that much of the ball. He has been playing mostly casey reserves due to his injuries

It's the same issue that you raised with Morton, Bail and Buckley being played as defenders rather than midfielders. Playing Petterd out of position in order to teach him something, has destroyed his confidence.

Maric is another player who's confidence is on the decline. You have to be a pretty special talent to be able to play in a forward line that is starved of opportunities, and is generally outnumbered.

Maric is another player who's confidence is on the decline. You have to be a pretty special talent to be able to play in a forward line that is starved of opportunities, and is generally outnumbered.

So you think Maric should be played out of position?

It's the same issue that you raised with Morton, Bail and Buckley being played as defenders rather than midfielders. Playing Petterd out of position in order to teach him something, has destroyed his confidence.

That's garbage, you might be able to get away with not having a defensive aspect to your game as a gun junior....AFL is a different story. Many good midfielders learn thier craft on the half back line. Fitness can be improved, the pace of the game picked up, acountability developed etc etc. Its a good development strategy that has been used for a long time.

Half back is also one of the easiest positions to play, if you can't cut it there you probably won't make it.

I've got no issue with Petterd being played in the forward line - you tell me who he'd have replaced in our back six this year.

My issue with him is his inability to get himself involved in the play. Good players (and I'm not suggesting that Petterd isn't one) find ways to get involved, regardless of their position. Morton is a clear and pertinent example.

Others have already highlighted the obvious contradiction with your post regarding Maric.

That's garbage, you might be able to get away with not having a defensive aspect to your game as a gun junior....AFL is a different story. Many good midfielders learn thier craft on the half back line. Fitness can be improved, the pace of the game picked up, acountability developed etc etc. Its a good development strategy that has been used for a long time.

Half back is also one of the easiest positions to play, if you can't cut it there you probably won't make it.

Griffin aside, who are the good midfielders that learn't their craft on the half-back line? And I'm expecting Morton to be better than "good".

Half back is the easiest position to rack up cheap stats, but that doesn't mean that you've had an impact on the game, and learn't your craft. Morton's stats this season flatter him. I'd rather see him being used in a midfield that's struggling.

And to the other posters, I wasn't implying that Maric is being played out of position. I was just pointing out how difficult it's been for Petterd and Maric to be playing as a medium sized forward in our forward structure.

Cooney, Montagna, Shaun Burgoyne, Kane Cornes, Stanton, Tyson Edwards, Jordan Lewis, Brad Sewell, Jude Bolton, Brett Kirk, quite a few of Geelong's midfield get rotated through half back.

And if you looked even into the recent past you will find some excellent mids played from half a season to a couple of seasons in the back half. Ricciutto, Buckley, Nigel Lappin etc etc etc.

On the field, the untapped potential and development of Liam Jurrah (even though we havn't yet seen him in red and blue) is right up there with Frawley, Sylvia, Bennell, Grimes, Warnock and Davey on the positive side of the ledger.

The off-field improvements (eg. MCC re-alignment, Casey, membership growth, sponsorships, unity of purpose in pursuit of objectives) are huge positives for the Club. At last, we are starting to earn a bit of respect in this area.

On the debit side, the inability of our mids (as a group) to have a worthwhile influence on any game to this point of the season is a major concern. Unfortunately, the careers of all of the regulars in this part of the ground seem to have plateaued prematurely, or gone backwards. This is probably understandable in one or two cases, but mystifying in the others.

The long-term injuries to Garland and Wanna (in particular), also represent major setbacks for me.

Positives: - Sylvia, Davey, Grimes, Bennell, Cheney, Frawley, Morton, Watts, Moloney, Stynes, Melbourne Memberships, Casey, Kaspersky, Hancook, MCC re-alignment, Melbourne's new Women of Football initiative - Debbie Lee. The reports on Jurrah.

Negatives: - Newton, Petterd, Wona's injury, Blease's injury, Garland's injury and the form of McLean, Miller, Robertson, and crowd attendances.

Griffin aside, who are the good midfielders that learn't their craft on the half-back line? And I'm expecting Morton to be better than "good".

Half back is the easiest position to rack up cheap stats, but that doesn't mean that you've had an impact on the game, and learn't your craft. Morton's stats this season flatter him. I'd rather see him being used in a midfield that's struggling.

And to the other posters, I wasn't implying that Maric is being played out of position. I was just pointing out how difficult it's been for Petterd and Maric to be playing as a medium sized forward in our forward structure.

I had an interesting chat with bailey at the aftergame function monday regarding cale, well actually my missus did. We know Cale, he's a good mate of my sisters, so my gf marched up to bailey and asked him why on earth he was playing him in the backline. She is a collingwood fan and compared it to mick's idea of playing thomas off a hb flank.

Bailey had a laugh and told her quite simply that in the future, as cale develops as a player he will be subjected to tags most weeks. he said he needed to learn how to drop to a hb in an effort to break such tags and was keen to expose him to the role so he wouldn't be a fish out of water. He added it would also help cale to develop defensive pressure, his disposal skills under pressure and accountability.

Speaking with cale later on in the night, he echoed db sentiments.

I am much less concerned with Bate and McLean than the rest of you.

McLean must improve his delivery to the forwards but his output has been fantastic in the last three games: averaging 12 kicks, 12 handballs, 4 tackles, 7 clearances, 3 Inside 50s, and 10 contested possesions in that time.

Bate over the past month has also been very good: averaging 17 disposals, 7 marks (2 contested), 2 goals, 7 contested possesions, and 5 Inside 50s.

They both have had quiet patches this year - Bate recalled his to ABC radio after Monday's game, denying to Parkin that he has had a good 2009, describing his year as "up and down."

These two are quickly turning their 2009 into a positive year if they continue their recent form.

McLean must improve his delivery to the forwards but his output has been fantastic in the last three games: averaging 12 kicks, 12 handballs, 4 tackles, 7 clearances, 3 Inside 50s, and 10 contested possesions in that time.

It's a problem of quality, not quantity, with Brock. He's getting enough of it, but his disposal is terrible. People were harping on about Robertson lying on the turf having a sook. That happened because McLean couldn't hit him with a simple 20 metre pass under little pressure.

It's a problem of quality, not quantity, with Brock. He's getting enough of it, but his disposal is terrible. People were harping on about Robertson lying on the turf having a sook. That happened because McLean couldn't hit him with a simple 20 metre pass under little pressure.

You really need to read the first line of that quote of mine.

Jones, Moloney, McLean, and the rest of the midfield need to work on kicking the ball to the right side of contests, this can be rectified in training, and certainly over the summer.

It is interesting to look at who are the most effective at kicks into the forward 50:

Jones has 43 Inside 50s and 8 assists.

Sylvia has 42 and 11.

Moloney has 41 and 7.

Bate has 36 and 16.

Davey has 31 and 15.

McLean has 28 and 8.

So while McLean's ratio, in turning thrusts forward into scores, is not as good as Davey or Bate (add to that his 14 goals and it shows him in a much better light than popular opinion) it is still better than Jones and Moloney.

Needless to say, all three have to deliver the ball better.

And dappa dan regarding jamar, he is a ruckman, and will never have to kick all that often, hence his kicking style doesnt bother to much, im just happy he gets his fair share of hitouts now.

I agree with alot of ur points too. And whilst I do like Dunn, I am disappointed that he is still being played out of position instead of being played as a third tall where he showed that he could kick goals consistently.

And Strauss's form has been good but he has only played 2 games for casey seniors where he didnt get all that much of the ball. He has been playing mostly casey reserves due to his injuries

Point taken on Strauss. I keep getting fooled when I see good stats from him, and forget he's in our thirds.

On Jamar, each to their own. I know that I want to see us lose at least 4 players, and after the obvious JMac etc etc, Jamar is the first name on that list. Given you're not the only one who's happy with him, I think it's starting to look like he's staying. Or perhaps will be traded should the situation arise. When I see his tapouts contribute to a big winning difference in the centre-breaks then I'll take notice.

I'd disagree with this statement. Jamar's had two set shots at goal in two weeks and has missed both of them comfortably. Particularly, in the St Kilda game, his goal would have been very handy. He's always been a shocking kick and it's somewhere he's going to need to improve.

As for my positives on the first half of the year...

Bennell, Morton, Grimes, Davey, Frawley and Sylvia's last four weeks. It's also been good to see Moloney getting more of the ball. Moloney, Jones and McLean are all proving they have much potential, but as some of you correctly pointed out, need to improve their disposal efficiency. If they could just do that in the second half of the season, they'd certainly all move into the positives for me, this season. Getting games into a lot of our youngsters has been a plus also. Oh and Meesen showed some brief, but good signs.

Off the field, I'm overjoyed with our football department: Jimmy and all his men and women, working tirelessly, in order to save the club, I love. So the new sponsors, new facilities and other new arrangements and plans are major wins for me.

Now to the negatives...

The injury to Garland has been a massive blow to our defensive half and I was really looking forward to seeing him play again this year. Aussie's injury setback is in the same boat for me. Lack of leadership on Monday was a big eye opener for me. I thought we'd come on leaps and bounds, in terms of leadership, but we certainly lacked it that day. Crowd attendances as usual, give me the irites, but I suppose the fair weathered ones will jump on when we start to win. PJ has been a disappointment too. Seeing his kick down Sylvia's throat against the Pies made it even harder to take in a way. He has some much potential, he NEEDS to start delivering. I'm sure there are more, but at 1.20 on a Friday night, with work in the morning, that's about it for me.