Mid Season Review

Carn dees

Melbourne Demons 2009 AFL Team List

1. Bail, Rohan- Able to find the footy at VFL level,disposal needs to be worked on.

2. Bartram, Clint- So far has some improvement, although i beleive his talent it limited, may look to be traded and years end.

3. Bate, Matthew- So far this year Mathew has under achieved greatly, barely seems to loom a threat up forward or have an impact.

4. Bell, Daniel- Has had injury's, is being given the chance over the next month or so, big improvements need to be found should be looked to be traded.

5. Bennell, Jamie- A very promising footballer, has already shown great signs there are no limits with this kid.

6. Blease, Sam- Yet to show anything due to injury.

7. Bruce, Cameron- His best days have passed him, this year Bruce has shown his decision making and ability to have an impact has passed him.

8. Buckley, Simon- IMO a very promising kid, really disappointing that he has had trouble with such a bad area in the groin. Hoping he can get it all right by next year and has a good pre season.

9. Cheney, Kyle- At VFL level he has been an outstanding player able to work the defences and win alot of the ball, should be given more opportunities at AFL level and could be a good backman for a good while.

10. Davey, Aaron- The only out standing player who has taken his game to that level we all knew he was capable off.

11. Dunn, Lynden- Hasnt been consistent, i recon he has got what it takes and last week at VFL level he proved he can be a good player, need to take advantage of his next opportunity at AFL level or should look to be traded.

12. Frawley, James- Had a ripper preseason, should be a great demon defender for years to come.

13. Garland, Colin- Was expecting to see lots of good things from this talented kid, unfortunately injury struck. Definitely one to keep.

14. Green, Brad- Has been solid, one of our senior players who have shown a good example.

15. Grimes, Jack- Very level headed, a footballers footballer lol. This kids a ripper and can only get better. Plays as if his played 100 games already.

16. Jamar, Mark- After his return from injury Jamar is playing his best footy, if he can keep this up and not drop off he may keep his spot considering our lack of rucks.

17. Jetta, Neville- Got a few games under his belt early, showed some good signs. Personally i think his a limited footballer but look forward to see more.

18. Johnson, Paul- I good worker at best, good around ground work rate, plays like most our midfielders gets it and is skill limited.

19. Jones, Nathan- Again has the heart, not the most skillful player, need to improve his disposal.

20. Jurrah, Liam- Our excitement machine, if he continues to go at this rate he'l be playing for the dees in no time. Really one to watch

21. Maric, Addam- Shown some good signs, a good player in the making. Although a few games with casey wouldnt hurt.

22. Martin, Stefan- An athletic footballer, stef hasnt yet cemented a spot and has been experimented in different spot. I Believe he is a backman and shold be persisted with there.

23. McDonald, James (veteran – outside list) Appreciate what he has done though please retire at years end!

24. McLean, Brock- Really has under performed. Must get things right in the next half of the season.

25. McNamara, Tom- Played some good games at Casey hopefully he can get some games under his belt this next half.

26. Meesen, John-Had been an ok ruckman untill hit by injury.

27. Miller, Brad- Hasnt taken the responsibilty of our main forward well. Although was ahead off the rest at VFL level.

28. Moloney, Brent- Good to see beamers getting a season free off injury, started off the season really well. Form and impact starting to drop?

29. Morton, Cale- Playing some good footy and is coming along well. Will be a melbourne great.

30. Newton, Michael- Unpredictable, Can do the impossible and struggle to pull of basics, hopefully he has changed his style of game.

31. Petterd, Ricky- A few good games this year, how much more can he improve?

32. Rivers, Jared- Been steady down back, would liek to see him take it to another level this next half.

33. Robertson, Russell (veteran – outside list) I love robbo as much as i hate to say it, his time has passed thanks for the good times robbo.(retire)

34. Strauss, James- Played his first snr VFL game, showed poise and precision like skills, should be a kid of the future.

35. Sylvia, Colin- Congratulations Col, Starting to show what weve all hoped for keep it up.

36. Warnock, Matthew- Very solid backman all year keep it up.

37. Watts, Jack- After playing his first game people may think he is not ready, i recon he should play the year out he is good enough to play at this level.

38. Wheatley, Paul Getting some games at VFL level though i dont see a spot for him.(retire)

39. Whelan, Matthew Solid player though not a part of our future.

40. Wonaeamirri, Austin Injury struck, just get the kid right for next year!

Now some Rookies Ive really liked

Danny Hughes - A tallish midfielder really can get the ball and isnt that bad by foot, last week he got lots of the ball although his kicking did let him down that week.

Jordie McKenzie- Mitch Robinson like physique, similar to Hughes.

I hope both kids get their opportunity this half of the year.

Hopefully we put this week behind us and continue to Blood more kids and be competitive. I believe this should be our last major year of developement and hoping for upward from hear on!

Go dees.

32. Rivers, Jared- Been steady down back, would liek to see him take it to another level this next half.

try 2 or 3 levels. I'm hoping he can get through the rest of this season and after a good preseason hopefully we will see him back to his FANTASTIC best.

His disposal count has been very low this year although that could be due to the role he is playing. Garland might free him up next year.

try 2 or 3 levels. I'm hoping he can get through the rest of this season and after a good preseason hopefully we will see him back to his FANTASTIC best.

His disposal count has been very low this year although that could be due to the role he is playing. Garland might free him up next year.

He's a back who spoils and contests in the air, that's his job. If he's keeping his opponent to minimum disposals/goals he is doing his job. The year he won the NAB Rising Star he was a bean pole and he was third man up; helping his teammates reading the play; dropping into space when the ball was bombed long. The game plans have since changed.

He's a back who spoils and contests in the air, that's his job. If he's keeping his opponent to minimum disposals/goals he is doing his job. The year he won the NAB Rising Star he was a bean pole and he was third man up; helping his teammates reading the play; dropping into space when the ball was bombed long. The game plans have since changed.

yeah thats fair enough and maybe I am not being realistic but I would still think he can get his hands on the ball a little more?

He is good enough to stop his opponent and get the ball.

Rivers has to be played as that third tall, big forwards ae an issue. Ideally we would like to have Martin and Warnock on the bigger players with Rivers and Frawley taking medium size forwards.

Mid season by zone

Backline

Still under huge amounts of pressure, we have seen Rivers come back in and Frawley improve. The introduction of Grimes, Cheney and Bennell have given us a look at or small/mid defenders. Whelan is starting to look slow at AFL level but still for this year anyway give us an experienced small defender. In the back half of the year you can see Wheatley coming back in which will hopefully get Morton back into our midfield. I hope Cheney doesn't become the new Chris Johnson, he need 5-10 games in a row to develop down back.

Forwards

Bate, Robbo, Miller we all know there limitations, Bate is not a key forward and needs Miller and another tall forward, Robbo and Bate have confirmed to me that they can't play in the same forward line there defensive pressure is poor and both are either hot or cold, the cap between their good footy and bad is huge. Miller will never be our No1 forward but at least he works hard all day. He needs the midfield to be kicking well as he will present all day and can take a mark. Unfortunately for Brad the quality of kicking skills in our side at present is very poor which makes him ineffective. Samll forwards with Aussie out and Davey upfield we have seen Jetta and Maric, I want the ball in Maric's hands in the middle of the ground, his kicking on the run is great, set shots at the moment are letting down adn not getting enough footy is his other issue, Jetta much the same.

Midfield

This is our biggest issue, our engine room is slow and at the moment don't have the skills required to take us forward. The introduction of Sylvia and Davey into the midfield has helped but Jones/Mclean/Mcdonald/Moloney/Green/Bruce can not play together, they are to slow and don't work for each other, no blocks, they don't create space around stoppages, Jones with help could become and outstanding clearance player, the amount of times he gets first hands on the footy, if someone can put in a good block to give him some time he would be a very effective in and under midfielder. The main issue with our midfield is we haven't seen the intrduction of any younger players into this group, Morton is the only player to come in regularly but now he is down back. We are pinning our hopes on Strauss, Blease, Bail, Grimes, I hope one of these guys has speed and can kick both short and long.

Rucks

I don't rate them anyway Jamar has been good, but you can win as many hit outs as you want but if we don't get the clearance it counts for nothing. Johnson has been extremely disappointing over the past month he is consistant though giving up at least 2 goals per game with his turn overs. Meesen/Spencer to early to say whether they will be any good.

If our midfield can improve we will start to see more wins, the midfield is the key.

I've been a little concerned with Rivers form tbh. Some will see it differently, but IMO if we had all our players fit, I would stuggle to find a spot for him in the backline. I would have Garland ahead of him. Hopefully he can find his form or adapt to current forward set-ups, or do whatever he needs to do, because like most people he is a real favorite, but right now he seems to be struggling.

Rubbish he's gone from our best key back to our worst. The days of having players like him went out with Bizzell and Jason Cloke. You have to be quick these days and he is not. Bring Martin in and trade Rivers at years end. He along with Bruce, McDonald and Whelan are holding the club back as are brain dead players like Jamar, Johnson, Miller and Bell.

Melbourne Demons 2009 AFL Team List

1. Bail, Rohan- Able to find the footy at VFL level,disposal needs to be worked on.

37. Watts, Jack- After playing his first game people may think he is not ready, i recon he should play the year out he is good enough to play at this level.

According to German Bail has good disposal skills but just had a shocker on the w/e.

Watts doesn't want to and probably won't play 10 games this year because a) he has exams and, B) he can then win the Rising Star next year!

Watts doesn't want to and probably won't play 10 games this year because a) he has exams and, B) he can then win the Rising Star next year!

Rubbish, he wants to play AFL and all kids drafted want to play AFL, after the mid year exams which will be over next week he doesn't have exams until October. He either plays AFL or VFL I'm sure he will be aiming to play AFL for the rest of the year.

According to German Bail has good disposal skills but just had a shocker on the w/e.

Bail has been playing only poor to 'average' over the last month or so. He's been playing defence & I'm of the opinion that has caused him to lose some confidence.

His kicking I think has gone off in the same timeframe.

Bail has been playing only poor to 'average' over the last month or so. He's been playing defence & I'm of the opinion that has caused him to lose some confidence.

His kicking I think has gone off in the same timeframe.

I'm getting a bt annoyed with these midfielders/wingers like Bail, Morton and Buckley (rd 1 V North) playing defence. Is it so critical in their development?

I'm getting a bt annoyed with these midfielders/wingers like Bail, Morton and Buckley (rd 1 V North) playing defence. Is it so critical in their development?

I agree. The best way to develop a youngster is to instill the confidence and belief that they belong at that level. Allow the kids to play to their strenghths. Let them show what they can do, rather than having them focus on the negative aspects of their game. These will come once they've adjusted to the pace of the game.

Over the past month I've been starting to question whether Morton will become the elite midfielder every is banking on. Give the kid a chance to show his stuff by giving him an extended run in the midfield. It's not as if we're inundated with attacking mids at the moment.

I agree. The best way to develop a youngster is to instill the confidence and belief that they belong at that level. Allow the kids to play to their strenghths. Let them show what they can do, rather than having them focus on the negative aspects of their game. These will come once they've adjusted to the pace of the game.

Over the past month I've been starting to question whether Morton will become the elite midfielder every is banking on. Give the kid a chance to show his stuff by giving him an extended run in the midfield. It's not as if we're inundated with attacking mids at the moment.

It's a fair point Mo but I think the coachind staff are attempting to show players different aspects of the game so they develop as "rounded" players, able to fulfill several rolls. As each gains more experience i think they'll settle down in a regular position. I think Dunn in particular has struggled by being played "out of position" but am hopeful he will learn what it is the coaching staff are teaching him. Only time will tell.

BUCKLEY - Has been injured. 1\10

JONES - Has been ok still turning the ball over too much. 5\10

BARTRAM - Poor disposal but does his job should be in the team. 3\10

WATTS - Tough start to his career will clearly get better. 1\10

MCLEAN - Very disappointing, where is the old McLean? 4\10

BATE - Has been better than what people have made out, he is our leading goal kicker. 5\10

MILLER - Has been hopeless with the exception of his Richmond game. 2\10

FRAWLEY - Has clearly been our big improver. 6\10

MORTON - Needs to find some courage but apart that he has been good. 6\10

JOHNSON - His good is good, his bad is shocking. 3\10

SYLVIA - Has turn his season around when it looked over. 7\10

DUNN - Has been in and out of the side. 2\10

PETTERD - Amazing courage, poor skills. 3\10

GRIMES - Coming along nicely. 5\10

GREEN - Poor since coming back from injury. 4\10

MARIC - For a kid who is suppose to be a good kick he isn't showing it. 2\10

GARLAND - Has been injured. 1\10

BELL - Woeful should never play a game for the club again. 1\10

MOLONEY - Has been good but like the whole midfield he has to start kicking goals, he can boot the ball over 60 metres he has to start useing that weapon more effectively. 6\10

MCDONALD - Has been a great player over the years but shocking this year time to retire. 1\10

ROBERTSON - Has struggled make or break for him in the next few weeks. 2\10

CHENEY - Hasn't been given much of an opportunity. 2\10

MESSON - Improved now injured. 3\10

RIVERS - Very poor we are getting nothing out of him. 2\10

NEWTON - Woeful decision maker, time is running out for him. 2\10

MCNAMARA - Has been injured. 0\10

WHEATLEY - Has been injured. 0\10

BRUCE - Usual Bruce plenty of the ball with little effect on the game. 4\10

WONAEAMIRRI - Has been injured. 0\10

MARTIN - Very promising, he should be in the side. 4\10

ZOMER - Useless. 0\10

DAVEY - Started off brilliantly, struggling with a tag needs to use his pace more instead of trying to be too cute with his disposal. 7\10

WARNOCK - Steady down back. 6\10

HUGHES - Showing good signs at Casey but is a poor kick. 0\10

JETTA - Great defensive pressure needs to work on his kicking. 2\10

JAMAR - Very good tap ruckman no good at anything else (it wasn't his fault that our ordinary midfield couldn't captialise on his ruck dominance). 3\10

BAIL - Hasn't done much at Casey. 0\10

SPENCER - Struggled with the pace of AFL level, very raw but shows plenty of promise. 1\10

BENNELL - Plenty of promise and pace. 3\10

VALENTi - Hasn't had many opportunities. 1\10

WHELAN - Tough as nails but he has struggled, time to retire. 2\10

BLEASE - Has been injured. 0\10

STRAUSS - Has been injured. 0\10

JURRAH - An excitement machine, we will see a lot more of this kid in the last half of the season. 0\10

MCKENZIE - Has been playing well at Casey, should see him at AFL level in the last half of the year. 0\10

HEALEY - Has been injured. 0\10

Rubbish he's gone from our best key back to our worst. The days of having players like him went out with Bizzell and Jason Cloke. You have to be quick these days and he is not. Bring Martin in and trade Rivers at years end. He along with Bruce, McDonald and Whelan are holding the club back as are brain dead players like Jamar, Johnson, Miller and Bell.

What a joke. Jared Rivers our worst? :lol: He's not holding the club back, do you even watch the footy mate?

Jarred Rivers holding us back, atm jarred rivers is the least of our problems.

I disagree. Who's holding Martin back then? He should be in the side but he isn't. We have 3 key backman in Warnock, Frawley and Rivers. Who has been the worst performer? Clearly Rivers he is holding the team back.

I tend to agree with BBP and Mo in that playing to a kids strengths is the right way to go

There is plenty of oppurtunities to experiment later and IMO playing them out of position in a lower level competition like VFL ISNT the place to do it

I also realise that throwing kids into this level when they are not physically ready is a bad idea especially when that is all you play hence the holding onto experienced players who are limited in their own ability

If you had good list management this would never be a problem as why would you keep players in the NQR category in the first place

At present bailey has little choice

The whole problem of having to rebuild a football team from scratch is due to having a poor list management in the past

You should always develop a list from all the age groups so you dont have a shortfall like Richmond does

Players should reach their physical peak around 25 tears of age

This is also the age perfect to trade off a player you deem not part of your plans going foward

At this age they may be actually worth something to someone

History shows that really good football teams capable of winning premierships have a short window of oppurtunity

It is important that we develop 1 - 2 elite players combined with a majority of very good players

It is a total waste of time developing an elite player or two if the rest of the player group is below standard

Play them on the basis of their strengths and they will soon prove if they have a future at the level a premiership team demands

Bailey must make the decision on what he has seen from this season on players who are just not up to it

Look at Collingwood for example , they have had no luck (except 1990) since 1958 to win premierships

They have certainly had enough elite players in all eras but far too many of the bottom level players

From the 50,s they have rarely bottomed out (except Tony Shaw era) and have made finals more than anyone else in the competition

Sure they have come close but lets face it list management cannot be underestimated when winning is all that counts

Geelong IMO will win this seasons premiership but the threats to that are coming from more clubs each season

They should have won the last one and be favourite for repeating what Brisbane did

I still think Hawthorn is dangerous to them and their window of oppurtunity hasnt started yet even if they won the flag last year

they have a very young list and last year actually were the youngest

In the next few years threats will be Geelong still , Hawthorn , StKilda, Carlton , maybe even the Dogs and who knows what the Magpies can do as their uncanny ability to make finals cannot be underestimated

The Intersate sides IMO are way off the mark in the immeadiate future but as history shows that will change

The only time i can remember a team has exceeded the usual short window of premiership opputunity is the Melbourne sides coached by Norm Smith 1952 - 1965

Even the powerful Hawthorn sides of the 80,s could not do that because of those threats from other teams and their own window of oppurtunity (Essendon - Carlton)

Smith had the free reign on recruiting players at will unlike the draft system we have today so expecting somone to repeat that is basically nil

Baileys first 2 seasons are as much about being observant as they are about teaching and developing talent

IMO at the end of this season Bailey will need to get Ruthless in his plans for his 3rd season as if he doesnt it may be his last

If it was me and Jimmy asked the question then my response would be

Bartram - GONE

Bell - GONE

Bruce - UNDECIDED

Buckley - UNDECIDED

Dunn - GONE

Johnson - GONE

McDonald - RETIRE

Meesen - UNDECIDED

Miller - UNDECIDED

Newton - GONE

Robertson - RETIRE

Wheatley - GONE

Whelan - RETIRE

Of the Rookies VALENTI - UNDECIDED

The Rest including players like ZOMER who are playing Casey seconds i would give them a shot to see what they can do