• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Melbourne on the Gold Coast

Mousey

What are the plans for this upcoming Saturday night at the GOLD COAST?

Driving from Brisbane with brothers and girlfriend on Saturday morning, staying at Royal Woods Resort for the one night. Heaps excited to see our boys play two times in 4 weeks!

Whats everyone's plans for after match festivities? Would love to have a few drinks after the game, but I don't think there is any official function planned (but that should not stop us :) ).

Preview by High Tower: -

Melbourne take on league leaders St.Kilda at the Gold Coast this Saturday night, Round 10.

St.Kilda 9-0 184%

Melbourne 1-8 75%

Every man and his dog would expect St.Kilda to take the 4 points this week. So too St.Kilda just 'quietly'.

However this game takes on some significance despite top vs bottom. St.Kilda defeated Brisbane yesterday in a bruising encounter at Etihad in a good solid last quarter. It must be noted that Brisbane matched them at the base of the packs where St.Kilda pride themselves on. With Simon Black having one of his better games and the Brisbane Lions amassing a massive 85 tackles! I'd imagine there would be a few sore bodies down at Moorabbin.

For a young group like Melbourne, it's good for them to get away and travel together with a sole focus of obtaining the four points. Melbourne desperate for a win, showed enough against West Coast at Subiaco for me to think they are a definite chance of toppling the league leaders in 'not so sunny' queensland on a heavy track, on the back of their perfomances against Hawthorn and Western Bulldogs. Having out scored the reigning Premiers 9 goals to Hawthorn's 6 in the second half can only do Melbourne's confidence good leading into Round 10.

Some impressive performances by Colin Sylvia with 4 goals, Stefan Martin pinch hitting up forward and the positive return of Brad Green from a broken jaw, against a strong Hawthorn line-up are further good news for Melbourne supporters who are just waiting to dine out for a win.

St.Kilda better be careful and on their game, because Melbourne are coming!

Any good packages going for a trip to the Gold Coast?

My Line-up including recommended change(s) for clash.

My starting line -up for Round 10 v St.kilda: -

Backs: Whelan Warnock Rivers

H-Backs: Grimes Frawley Davey

Centres: Morton Sylvia Moloney

H-Fwds: Green Martin Bruce

Fwds: Robertson Miller Maric

Foll: Johnson McDonald Jones

Int'change: Cheney Bate McLean Bennell

Emerg: Jetta Jamar Petterd

In: Cheney

Out: Petterd

Warnock to take Kosi, Frawley for Riewoldt.

Bailey to keep adjusting the forward line to suit. Martin to ruck when required.

Last time they met: -

St Kilda defeated Melbourne

Round 10, Etihad Stadium, Attendance: 27854

Sunday, 1st June 2008.

Brownlow Votes: 3: L Ball, 2: N Dal Santo, 1: N Riewoldt

Team Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Final

St Kilda Saints 5.4 10.6 12.12 19.15 129

Melbourne Demons 2.2 3.4 3.6 7.8 50

Better players for Melbourne: -

McDonald, Bruce, Sylvia, McLean, Yze, Wheatley.

*FootyWire AFL Stats.

Timewarp: -

Who could forget the disappointment as a Melbourne supporter when Melbourne took to the field in that horrid clash strip, which actually clashed with St.Kilda's strip. With Telstra Dome bathed in sunshine, as a spectator you needed to be a member/supporter to identify which team was which and even that was hard enough!

Demonland (& Demonology) posters went berserk in the week that followed, with threads devoted to new designs for the following year - good work Demon4Life, Clint Bizkit & belzebub - your work hadn't gone unnoticed.

What was also significant in that game between the two combatants, was not just the margin of which St.Kilda won by, but the significant loss to Melbourne in respect to Russell Robertson's achilles injury in the centre of the ground. It was a 'searching' kick from the backline by Brad Green to Robertson who was out numbered 3-1 in the centre circle of the Dome, who was forced to contest by using his leap. unbalanced in the air Robbo ruptured his achilles on the way down putting him out for the year. Significant enough in an already horrid run with injuries in the 2008 season and enough to ensure favouritism for the dreaded 'Wooden Spoon'.

Conclusions/Predictions for this Saturday:

St.Kilda by 4 points in a hard slog.

Quote by St.Kilda coach Ross Lyon after the game, "Credit to Melbourne, they're a good side, they will trouble teams this year and a win, I'm sure, is just around the corner for them if they keep persisting."

Melbourne by 12 points. It will be one for the history books.

Checked flights. Jetstar seems to have the best - $258 return. Virgin Blue - $300. Fly Sat/return Sunday.

I'm sure they had better deals weeks ago!

I will never forget that clash strip last year. It was awful. Will they wear the red one on Saturday night againt Saints?

I cant see us winning however, this is a neutral ground for both of us therefore, anything is possible. Looking at the recent rains there, it could very well be a hard slog.

They've had something like melbourne's entire yearly rainfall in under 48 hours or something. There would be 1 inch of mud if the drainage is no good.

I've been up here on the Coast for a few days now and whoever tried to pull the stunt about Queensland being beautiful one day, perfect the next should be committed to a psychiatric ward. It rained heavily last week and that combined with the high winds has played havoc with the beaches and many sporting grounds. They cancelled two NAB Cup under 18 national championship games at Carara and many local sporting fixtures were either caancelled or relocated to different venues.

After a brilliant day on Friday, the weather turned again on Saturday and we had more strong winds, torrential rain, high tides and the odd case of flooding from the afternoon and into the evening. This made it possible for me to survey the conditions that prevail for your average couch potato and they're pretty flash I must say if your room has Foxtel and HDTV. Friday nights game between the Cats and the Dogs was available through Prime HD (Northern NSW affiliate of the 7 Network), the rest of the games were available live through a combination of One and Foxtel although I didn't bother on Saturday night because I just knew I would be upset by the Richmond and the West Coast results. Sunday evening at 4.40pm was compulsory viewing on Fox Sports 1. Pity about the result.

There are very few signs (none in fact) of the impending arrival of the Melbourne Football Club, very little enthusiasm apparent for GC17 and I can see why the AFL is throwing money at this initiative along with a year's supply of first round draft picks, advantageous trading conditions and salary cap concessions. I fear a monumental flop coming on with the creation of another artificial football club that will serve to further dilute supporter passions for the game. I mean if you try to engage a local here on important topics like how they think GC17's clash jumper is going to look when they come into the competition, they look at you as if you are a nutter.

Anyway, can't wait for the Dees to arrive. I was hoping it would be a Melbourne team triumphant after beating the Hawks down in Melbourne. Now all I can do is hope that Carara manages to dry out in time. If they cancel Saturday night's Carara game and move it elsewhere, I'm taking legal action!

I've been up here on the Coast for a few days now and whoever tried to pull the stunt about Queensland being beautiful one day, perfect the next should be committed to a psychiatric ward. It rained heavily last week and that combined with the high winds has played havoc with the beaches and many sporting grounds. They cancelled two NAB Cup under 18 national championship games at Carara and many local sporting fixtures were either caancelled or relocated to different venues.

After a brilliant day on Friday, the weather turned again on Saturday and we had more strong winds, torrential rain, high tides and the odd case of flooding from the afternoon and into the evening. This made it possible for me to survey the conditions that prevail for your average couch potato and they're pretty flash I must say if your room has Foxtel and HDTV. Friday nights game between the Cats and the Dogs was available through Prime HD (Northern NSW affiliate of the 7 Network), the rest of the games were available live through a combination of One and Foxtel although I didn't bother on Saturday night because I just knew I would be upset by the Richmond and the West Coast results. Sunday evening at 4.40pm was compulsory viewing on Fox Sports 1. Pity about the result.

There are very few signs (none in fact) of the impending arrival of the Melbourne Football Club, very little enthusiasm apparent for GC17 and I can see why the AFL is throwing money at this initiative along with a year's supply of first round draft picks, advantageous trading conditions and salary cap concessions. I fear a monumental flop coming on with the creation of another artificial football club that will serve to further dilute supporter passions for the game. I mean if you try to engage a local here on important topics like how they think GC17's clash jumper is going to look when they come into the competition, they look at you as if you are a nutter.

Anyway, can't wait for the Dees to arrive. I was hoping it would be a Melbourne team triumphant after beating the Hawks down in Melbourne. Now all I can do is hope that Carara manages to dry out in time. If they cancel Saturday night's Carara game and move it elsewhere, I'm taking legal action!

GC will be a monumental success compared to West Sydney, which is 100% going ahead full steam.

It is so depressing to know that Victorian Clubs will probably die at the Expense of these 2 new Teams sometime in the Future. The whole thing leaves me chilled cold.

As Midnight oil sang 25 years ago...."Who can stand in the way when there's a $$$ to be made"

It is so depressing to know that Victorian Clubs will probably die at the Expense of these 2 new Teams sometime in the Future. The whole thing leaves me chilled cold.

As Midnight oil sang 25 years ago...."Who can stand in the way when there's a $$$ to be made"

dees .... 1..25 pts.

Thanks for the gold coast update WJ, make sure you stay dry until gameday. Look for some new recruits and see if you can entice Nathan Ablett back from Broadbeach to the Dees.

Nathan Ablett at Broadbeach in the QAFL is a long, long way away from being the AFL premiership player he was with his brother in 2007 but they're a complex family, the Abletts!

Nathan's father was one of the greats and Gary Junior is on his way there with a first Brownlow Medal beckoning. I just hope that people leave Nathan to just be himself, to do what he wants and to live his own life. Still, there is sure to be inevitably be conjecture as to whether he will join GC 17. I'm just not so sure that he will want to return to the life of travel and being in the limelight.

I have two Ablett stories relating to the Gold Coast. A few years ago I read Garry Linnell's unauthorised biography of Ablett Senior [Playing God: The Rise & Fall of Gary Ablett] and I rate it high on the list of football books, possibly just behind Richard Stremski's "Kill for Collingwood". It brought home clearly the tragedy of a champion footballer, a lost, conflicted country boy thrust into a life of fame for which he simply wasn't ready. Once you read it, you can understand why one of his sons might want to shun the life of fame, fortune and adulation as an AFL footballer. Today, Ablett the father is doing his best to redeem himself and the news in yesterday's paper was that he was doing some good work visiting prisons to inspire the inmates.

About 20 years ago, Ablett Senior's marriage fell apart. My recollection of the events which were pretty much constantly in the public domain is a bit hazy, especially the order of events. The story went that one of the locals, a pizza delivery man, was fond of the estranged Mrs. Ablett and there ensued an altercation between him and Gary Senior. Local tongues were wagging and it proved to much for the Cats' star player who promptly announced his retirement and took off for the wild blue yonder. The media had a field day speculating on his whereabouts constantly asking "Where's Gary?" and writing about reported sightings from all over the country.

Our paths crossed at an Italian restaurant in Surfers Paradise. I was picking up some take away food for the family and in walked the great man himself. I think I was the only one there who recognised him (the Brisbane Bears already existed but they were still virtually anonymous in a predominantly rugby state) and I immediately searched for something on which he could scribble his autograph for proof that I'd seen him in the flesh while he was "hiding out". Just then the man behind the counter announced, "Order for Jack, Margharita Pizza, Aussie Pizza, Spag Bol and Ravioli!". I looked at the pizza box and for a split second was going to ask Gary to put his autograph on top of the box. Only then did I remember the story about Garry and his fight with the pizza delivery man and I thought for my own safety I should leave well enough alone. I paid for the food and left without even acknowledging the country's finest footballer.

I've often wondered since then how valuable an item that pizza box might have been had the great Gary Ablett signed it for me. I reckon I could get a fortune for it on eBay. What I do know is that if I happen to bump into Nathan up here at Nicolonis Pizza on the Gold Coast Highway, despite what I wrote earlier about leaving Nathan lone, I would have no hesitation ...

I'm going to the game - flight up Saturday morning & back on Monday night.

I just hope the weather improves for a 3 day Qld break!

Yeah. I hope it does too mate.

It has not rained hard for 2 days now but looks a bit threatening today.

Any idea what your up to after the game?

Any idea what your up to after the game?

Last year I went up for North Melbourne v St Kilda.

Spent the aftermatch at a pub on the Esplanade opposite the surf club. It was full of Saints supporters (which was good for me).

This thread is now dedicated to all things relating to Melbourne on the Gold Coast including previews, player sightings, WJ's diary and news about functions, meetings etc.

The best of the previews together with WJ's diary will make it onto our preview article for the Saints game.

Just wondering whether the Queensland Demons are putting on a function or meeting during the week?

There has been no word from DemonDeb if there is a function.

really hope we can figure out a place to drink at after the game and mingle

There has been no word from DemonDeb if there is a function.

really hope we can figure out a place to drink at after the game and mingle

The weather on the Coast is fine today and I'm sure the ground at Carrara will dry out in time unless there's more rain later in the week.

How do we overcome the undefeated Saints? They have a super midfield and two great key forwards who are in form - not unlike the Hawks who beat us last Sunday. Well, we overcame a poor start and not only avoided a blow out but we came back nicely to finish with only two scoring shots less than the Hawks. It would have been one less had Robbo decided not to lairise. So it's all about application for 100% of the game, not 60% or 80%.

It feels like just yesterday when we played the saints in a final a few years ago!

We did not have foxtel at the time and that was the only way we could see it in brisbane.

So my brothers, my girlfriend and i stayed at a hotel for the night in milton , hit the [censored] and watched the game and was so happy we won that night :)

I remember brock raising his fist in passion as he kicked an important goal...........aahhhhhhhhhhhhhh the memories........ i would love an upset win!!!

We'll win

I Doubt that very Much. The Saints will Jump us early & then Hold sway. Similiar to last Sunday.

Those Wankers will earn every minute of it though. Melbourne is a Tough Tackling Learning Side.

The Saints Ruckmen will absolutely Murder us, in tandem.

Saints by 17