SOMETHING IS HAPPENING HERE

Demonland

SOMETHING IS HAPPENING HERE by Whispering Jack

One evening not all that long ago I was walking with a friend through the streets of our neighbourhood when we came upon a distinguished looking gentleman waiting for a relative to pick him up from a grandchild's school concert.

The man was Dr. Don Cordner, a member of Melbourne's great football family that dates back to the first decade of the 20th Century. A champion ruckman who played 166 games from 1941 to 1950, Don had done just about everything during his lifetime at Melbourne. He was a Brownlow Medallist (1946), a premiership captain (1948), a Victorian representative, an MFC Hall of Famer and Team of The Century Member and, later in life, he was president of the Melbourne Cricket Club (1985-92).

Don Cordner died on Wednesday morning at the age of 87 and today, the crowd at the MCG stood in silence for a minute before the Melbourne v Western Bulldogs game to honour his passing and his contribution to our great club and our great sport. After that, the twenty-two young men representing the football team he loved and wearing black armbands to remember him by put on a performance that might well be regarded in the future as a significant turning point in the fortunes of the Melbourne Football Club.

We stood talking under a streetlamp. The subject was our favourite football team, the one that his father, an uncle, he and three brothers and a nephew represented with great honour over a span of eight decades from 1903 when Harry Cordner played the first of his 11 games until 1987 when David Cordner played the last of his 53 games of an injury ravaged career with the club.

We discussed the Cordner dynasty and, in a way, you could feel that he rued the fact that it was now over. The father son rule would not assist any more even if there were some young budding Cordner champions about. But he was optimistic about the club's future and no doubt, he would have been tickled pink while he was still alive, that there was a symbolic reconciliation of the football and cricket clubs that he served with such distinction during his lifetime.

At the time we spoke, the Demons were going through a rough trot and playing some insipid football. Neale Daniher was on his way out as coach and a generational change was needed at the club. Don wasn't the type who would tolerate defeat but he was a realist and quite the diplomat. Still, he would never accept a team wearing the red and blue that wasn't prepared to "have a crack".

Melbourne did not win for Don Cordner today but it fell tantalisingly short of the mark and was beaten by a better side on the day. Yet, the team did what Don would have expected of them: they had a decent crack and, in doing so, they did him and themselves proud.

There's something happening here.

The Melbourne Football Club is about to waken from its long slumber. The generational change is happening ever so slowly but it's been discernible since the team began its long pre season in October last year. The signs of improvement have been everywhere although the progress has been frustrating and slow, made even more difficult to accept by dint of injuries to key players. However, the process continues and, if you'll pardon a metaphor that might not be all that popular with fans of the Dees, I think's it's about to snowball in the months ahead. It might not happen overnight (especially when one looks at the next two sets of opponents) but something is happening here.

Two weeks and two narrow defeats. One in Perth which has been a graveyard for recent Melbourne teams and now at home to the third placed Bulldogs which slaughtered them by an extra 15 goals in the corresponding game last year. And the Dogs would have been greatly relieved to secure the four premiership points after trailing by as much as 22 points early in the second term.

I'm not suggesting that the Demons were perfect. There were still some disastrous turnovers, lapses of concentration and errors of judgment, mainly from the inexperienced but some from the more seasoned players. But overall, they worked hard, ran and carried the ball well and tackled the game with enthusiasm and courage. Don Cordner would have enjoyed their approach even if they overdid the handball at times; even if they made the odd mistake because, for possibly the first time since that chance encounter in the streets near my home, Melbourne played out a game of quality to the end against a top line opponent without looking out of place or undermanned. For the first time in two or three years, the light at the end of the tunnel was coming into focus. They were a football team again!

All of that despite the absence of young emerging back men in Colin Garland, James Frawley and Jamie Bennell, experienced players in Brad Green, Jared Rivers, Paul Wheatley, half of the club's ruckmen, the exciting Austin Wonaeamirri and with the first three draft picks of 2008 (all top twenty) still in the warehouse.

So it's time for everybody to stop and look at what's going down.

There's improvement everywhere and for this coach Dean Bailey and the football department must take credit.

Melbourne's on ball brigade was on top in terms of winning the football even if they did not do so with the clinical efficiency of their opponents. Brock McLean, Brent Moloney and Cale Morton all figured highly in the possession count amassing more than 35 disposals apiece and the efficient Aaron Davey, while not accumulating the same amount of ball was deadly with his run, accuracy and creativity coming out of defence.

Morton's role was, to be sure, more of a defensive one but it would not be an understatement to say that he is on the way to elite status. Not far behind him is another young defender in Jack Grimes. Hard to believe that today was only his third game in this company. It's also hard to believe that the cobbled together defence was missing so many of its first up selections. Matthew Warnock and Stefan Martin continued to shine and to underline the potential of the defence. Matty Whelan was a welcome returnee and Kyle Cheney added to the tough veneer of the back line.

The forward line is looking much better, especially with Russell Robertson creating a target. Matthew Bate was strong there today and Addam Maric chipped in with a couple of crumbing goals. There were opportunities missed and the team still struggled and turned the ball over and squandered some simple opportunities in front of goal. A tall key marking option or two up there might not hurt but, in any event, the improvement can be seen in the way they managed to keep the ball in attack and create scoring opportunities.

While it's clear that Melbourne is improving as a side, a major deficiency today was in the ruck. Paul Johnson was excellent around the ground but can't single-handedly be expected to control the ruckwork against the combination of Hudson and Minson. In the end, the edge that the Bulldogs gained from winning the stoppages was probably the thing that got them home.

Which is ironical given that Don Cordner, the man who passed away during the week, was considered by some to have been one of the game's great ruckmen. The Demons could have done with someone of his ilk directing the traffic and they might have that someone in Jake Spencer who is coming back from injury and was sitting in the stands today. At 203cm, he's a player who is always prepared to have a crack and is willing to learn. His time will come.

So while Don Cordner will be sorely be missed by the Melbourne family, it's significant that with his passing, there's a new generation and a new spirit emerging at Melbourne. There's definitely something happening here.

Melbourne 5.2.32 10.3.63 11.4.70 15.7.97

Western Bulldogs 3.3.21 9.6.60 12.10.82 15.14.104

Goals

Melbourne Bate 4 Robertson 3 Maric 2 Davey Jones McLean Petterd Sylvia Valenti

Western Bulldogs Akermanis 4 Welsh 3 Gilbee 2 Addison Boyd Cooney Hahn Johnson Murphy

Best

Melbourne Moloney McLean Morton Bruce Grimes Davey Bate

Western Bulldogs Gilbee Akermanis Boyd Giansiracusa Welsh Morris

Injuries

Melbourne – nil

Western Bulldogs Murphy (hamstring)

Changes

Melbourne – nil

Western Bulldogs - Addison replaced Hargrave in the Western Bulldogs selected side

Reports

Melbourne – nil

Western Bulldogs - nil

Umpires Nicholls Hay McInerney

Crowd 28,279 at the MCG

In memory of Dr. Don Cordner (1922-2009)

Whooooo Go Dees

I couldn't go today, having a dinner party tonight, but sounds like you excelled yourselves and we should have won!!! I will be there to cheer you on against the hated Magpies!!!

I can't stand that little whingeing Tony Shaw on radio and Gerard Healey - he used to play for us and he's always putting us down - such a smart alec!!!

Holy Crap! 9 players with 25 or more disposals. 2 with 37! That's a huge effort from our midfield.

Can Morton still win the rising star?

No. Must have played < 10 games at start of year.

I opened this thread thinking we won :angry:

It's got to the point where the boys deserve a win. But at least our picks 1 and 2 dream are still alive.

Boo'd my heart out.

The free kick for holding Sylvia didn't get was absolutely atrocious.

The free and resulting 50 metre penalty in the last quarter was disgraceful and cost us the game and helped secure picks 1 and 2. Do I laugh or cry, footy's weird this year!

i thought the umpires were pretty good for the most part... let the game go, not picking out too many little free kicks...

I had no dramas with the 50, but I agree Col should've got a free kick... having said that Robbo kicked a couple of goals from dubious free kicks earlier in the game... good job umps...

Umpiring was very ordinary, but I guess the mistakes were evened out pretty well because Robbos 2 were just not there!. To get a crucial umpiring error with minutes to go and a 50 on a platter hurts however and killed the contest!

Umpiring aside, there is no doubt we should have won today and were the better team for 80% of the match. There is so much to be excited about. To think Frawley, Riv and Garland were not there, not to mention our plethora of top draft picks yet to play a game, and those to come at the end of the year!

We are on the way to being a superpower in 3 years!

To win or not to win, that is the question.

We have the most exciting group of young players and add the next 2 best in the land at the end of the year and we will be a new super power!

The crowd was by far the most dissapointing part of today. Lot of empty reserved seats again. No excuses today people the weather was fine and no aus kick. POOR

Umpiring was very ordinary, but I guess the mistakes were evened out pretty well because Robbos 2 were just not there!. To get a crucial umpiring error with minutes to go and a 50 on a platter hurts however and killed the contest!

I agree -- and Robbo without a doubt got a couple of gifts. I hate seeing it no matter which way it goes.

That light in the tunnell distant, is getting bright.

Getting that warm fuzzy feeling about our Great club.

Lots to be very excited about, right about now. And more to come.

Favs for the future fund.

Grimes/ Bennell/ Morton/ Cheney/ Jetta/ ----------?

In reality it was a perfect result.

Hated the maggots today.

exactly.

The free and resulting 50 metre penalty in the last quarter was disgraceful and cost us the game...

the free kick paid against morton should not have been paid. incidental contact was not worthy of a free kick. the 50 was just an umpire being an [censored]. clearly noone heard the whistle, players from both sides played on, and it was 2-3 kicks before they realised a free had been awarded.

that freekick cost us the game, it robbed us of momentum, and gave the dogs a 3 goal lead.

my biggest concern throughout the day was how quick the umps were to ping us for holding the ball (see jones) when we tried to win a hard ball.

The umpiring was pathetic, we got the best of it early, they benefitted later. The fact that it maybe evened out kind-of doesn't take away from the fact that the umpires today made too many mistakes.

The best way they can avoid this, and the only lesson they really need to learn, is to tuck their whistles away and only use them when there's a blatant free kick. If unsure, let the game flow. Is that too hard?

not long after that, a doggies player took a dive on our HHF trying to get an in the back or high free kick, was tackled didn't get it out and suprise suprise ball up. That was the icing on the cake from those yellow @#$%ers.

Voice box is still very sore. even cold frothies havent helped!

In reality it was a perfect result.

Hated the maggots today.

The umpires and THE HANDBALLING cost us the game. :angry:

Best game I have seen in two years! A million + came out of the game without winning. And yes, the dream of Picks 1 and 2 is still alive. However, not for long if we keep playing like that though. We will be pushing for the top 8.

Thought the umps were pretty good aswell overall. Let the game play the way it should be! Go umps, good job.

The best way they can avoid this, and the only lesson they really need to learn, is to tuck their whistles away and only use them when there's a blatant free kick. If unsure, let the game flow. Is that too hard?

You mean common sense?

Probably a little out of reach in the current enviromnent, unfortunately :rolleyes: !!!

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Dunn pretty much biting the ump was good for a laugh. He'll do a week but it will be worth it.

On a serious note I'm proud of the boys (and I mean boys) today. Even with 2 or 3 minutes left Footscray was still not sure that they could hold us off and our lads believed there was still a chance. The never say die attitude we have this year is a credit to Bailey and his team and is a solid foundation stone that we can use to build a very good team with over the next 5 years.

Great work Whispering Jack. I walked past Spencer at the end of the game and the kid is immense, noticeably taller than Jamar, who I had run into earlier buying a hot dog. No, I didn't run into J-Meese as well.

I thought McLean was average today. On the other hand, I thought Bruce was utterly fantastic.