Intraclub Match Day

pitmaster

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone who was there tell us how brock, maloney and bell went please?

GO DEES GO

IMO Brock and Moloney were surprisingly inconspicuous, whilst Bell got the ball a few times without much impact.

I imagine that the first 2 were just given the job of finding their feet on the playing field again after being cruelled by injuries over the last 2 years.

Can someone who was there tell us how brock, maloney and bell went please?

GO DEES GO

Bell did a couple of good things early but under no pressure kicked a ball out on the full later in the game trying to hit a leading target. Probably much the same as what we have seen from him over the years. Both brock and maloney looked good but played at best 50% of the game each

Actually by the looks of Petterd today , the guy in the photo may have eaten 2 of him .

The Petterd I saw today was whippet-like in build and movement , and had a great game .

You were looking at the wrong boy he has bulked up and played well.

interesting morning...great facilites...

Chris Connolly mentioned on the loud speaker Watts and Blease are on a seperate summer training program and won't start playing until round 3 of the proper season.

It was hard to keep an eye on 40 plus players so kept an eye on the ruckmen and also Martin and Frawley in defence.

Firstly thought Spencer looked the most dominant tap ruckman with Johnson showing usual around the skills. Meeson was surprisingly good, with great second efforts and skills were good on the day. Who knows there may be hope. Spencer will be a monster but didn't do much else after getting the tap.

Martin to me seems like the academic footballer, contemplative, quiet but with huge ability. He did ok but felt he doesn't feel confident enough to dominate the contest like he should. He looks to just do a job, and that he did ok in.

Frawley looks really good, second efforts were fantastic. Last quarter on Bate he outpointed him 3 or 4 times, then backed up for handpasses etc, although Bate got a dinky little pass from a turnover which he easily drilled from about 45 metres.

Others that impressed were Aussie, Morton and Valenti. Valenti and Brock have the best vision but feel Valenti may lack penetration in his kicking along with obvious pace issues. He is a natural footballer though.

Look forward to seeing Spencer again and see if Meeson improves as he appeared more confident today.

p.s Newton looked very ordinary and Garland on him early was like chalk and cheese in confidence and ability. He may end up with Shaun Smiths epitaph as a good honest mark, occasional high flyer but not much else.

Guest JACKtheRIPPER

it was a great day for the club, moloney is on track , suprised miller and newton played up forward in the same team, overall very much looking forward to the hawks game,i bagged valenti the other day he played very well, the young aboriginal boys looked good, they only need to take 2 or 3 steps and now where there at, watts didnt play, bailey schwab and connoly mingled in the crowd, i spoke to schwab hes very aproachable .

Bell played across half forward, which I think is where he belongs. Whether he can be of AFL senoirs quaility across there time will tell.

I think Stef Martin will be All Australian in 3 seasons max. I just like his poise. He is big yet agile and I think will be a dominant backman in the years to come.

Bennell and Jetta were both very exciting and add class and pace.

It very hard to gauge much from this game as there were many, many fill ins and our best players were spread across both teams. They would have benefited from the contest, but we will get a better chance to notice any improvement over the coming weeks.

The only other thing to say is none of our players king hit and then kicked one of their teamates.

Great work guys.

Where/ how did Grimes play? More off a HB as a sweeper, or did he get a genuine go through the middle of the ground? Also how did Sylvia play?

Did anyone from Casey standout?

Thanks guys.

Yep, Id be very interested to hear about Grimes! Any mail out there?? Thanks for the updates guys!

I personally think Bell's times up.The game & team have gone past him.

How do the new Aboriginals look? I'd love to see some more pace off half back through the guts.

Hangin out for the Hawks game.

I was at the game, much cleaner disposal than this time last year, still early but marked improvement.

I cant believe, or perhaps I missed it, that no one has mentioned Cheney, but to me Cheney had a fantastic game, the big thing i noticed was that he took all the kick ins, which would indicate that perhaps he may be in line for some game time in the seniors. I'll be very interested to watch his progress, because to me he was the big surprise.

The other big surprise was Neville Jetta, slotted a terrific goal running in from a forward pocket, and banana'd another goal. I think he had at least 4 shots on goal, but is very good overhead and took some very strong grabs. He looks a beauty and I would not be surprised if he played round 1. Should play in Tassie.

For me Aussie was best on ground, he played more up the ground, his disposal is very clean and his decision making is excellent. Looked very polished as a goal kicking midfielder.

Meesen to me wasnt too bad, I'm not claiming he played that well, but was reasonable against Spencer, Spencer though did very well in the one on ones and Meesen gave away a few free's against Meesen, and was very upset with a number of decisions. Spencer is the tap ruckman, but limited influence around the ground, Meesen not that good in the ruck although he did win a few contests, and had more influence than Spencer around the ground. I'm sure both will be given a go at some stage this year.

Bennell did some very nice things throughout the game, faded in and out as you'd expect. But when he got it he was clean. I didnt see much of Strauss, but his disposal by foot was first class.

Having read other reports, I thought Tom McNamara did play, he had the big blonde crop of hair and was wearing the number 2, not sure why. Didnt have a major influence on the game if it was him, but he is still very young.

Dunn got heaps of the ball, and his disposal wasnt too bad, I'd of said he was in the top 5 on ground.

But as others have said, it's hard to watch everyone, I wasnt really watching the old timers, although the pick of the oldies was definitely Miller, kicked 3, and set up Newton beautifully by foot early on which was a real highlight.

Who else, Ricky Petterd is back, he was very good, drifted forward and kicked a couple I think. Will play most games this year barring injury, I saw him as mainly a half back sweeper, but perhaps he can become a goal kicking mid.

Bate was well held I thought, Garland did a number on the Newt. The Newt seems to go to ground to easily, and it appears that he is not trying, it was a frustrating game for the Newt, but to me it looks as if he is really having a go.

Martin very good, didnt get much of it, but was very handy in one play where he showed composure and kicked confidently through the corridor to set up a goal.

I was expecting more from Grimesy, but played a reasonable game.

But two real surprises for me was Kyle Cheney across the back line, and Neville Jetta across half forward. The other standout for me was Wona's game in the midfield. A superb game from Wona.

Hit me up with questions, but be mindful I wasnt really watching the senior blokes.

Yep, Id be very interested to hear about Grimes! Any mail out there?? Thanks for the updates guys!

I thought Grimes was great in patches today, he sort of reminds me of a Lenny Hayes type, not overly quick but knows how to get the thing and seems to use it very well. Sylvia didn't do much for me today, was ok at times but turned it over often and still looks a little lazy.

I was at the game, much cleaner disposal than this time last year, still early but marked improvement...

Thanks for the report youami.

Can you please tell me more a bit more about Jetta, I know he's good overhead and likes the physical stuff but how was his speed and skills today?

Cheers

Who was that number 36 for MFC white who kicked a wonderful left foot goal on the left flank towards the stands? It was in the third quarter i think. I was sitting behind the goals towards the car park end and could hear the crowd applauding from the stands when he kicked that.

Players that caught my eye (played well):

Valenti - found lot of the ball in second half

Wonaemagic - Kept persistent

Jones - hard running player

Buckley - Nice transition through backline and midfield

Jetta had some nice touches, took some strong marks.

Worse player i could think of was Bate. Didn't do much except kick a goal in the last quarter, which he needed that

But the good news is: melbourne won! :)

Made the journey out to Casey Fields for the first time today, definately in the middle of no-where, but appears to be a football oasis in a barren desert with the facilities and lush ground top notch.

The conditions would not have been easy for players with the temperature rising which may have caused the change to a 15 min 4th quarter. Combined with the smoke hazy ungulfing the city and not perfect but still good enough for pre-season football.

Dunn - was BOG up until 1/2 time, kept finding the ball and hitting targets. Has bulked up somewhat.

Wona - was electric, turning on a six pence time after time. As report has definately trimmed and toned that physique of his. Few nice grabs and goals thrown in for good measure. In the best for sure.

Jetta - wow, great pace and kicked a cracker of a checkside goal in front of us. Has to play NAB cup.

Bennell - showed glimpes, 5 min patch where he was everywhere. 2nd/3rd efforts were great.

Bail - good size, used the ball well. deserves his spot. Should play a number of seasons as I think when a club recruits a mature (haha 20 yr old mature??) then its usually because they are ready to go imo.

Bartram - had leather poisoning for most of the match, but his disposal can be either really good or really bad.. seems to kick up and under it a little too much.

Zomer - impressed with his match, kicked some good goals and one was given to him from downfield but hes come on nicely considering he was in Sandy's twos at stages last season.

Cheney - the big ranga was tough, will slot into the backline at sometime this year. Disposal was hit and miss but considering everyone was a little rusty, pardon the pun then i think it was a good showing.

Sylvia - bobbed up here and there but not nearly enough for me, maybe hes just being cautious at this stage.

Frawley - as reported has grown in size and his kicked definately had more accuracy and power.. and he has some dash so hopefully it translates into the season proper.

Garland and Martin were good down back, continueing on last years performances.

Spencer out pointed Meesen I thought, seemed to make the tapouts... pardon my french but Meesen just needs to get some [censored] about him. Harden up abit. Deserves a NAB start.

Disappointed that Rivers went down so early, when will his injury nightmare end. Glad to hear its just a light sprain.

Valenti was good, shame hes been put back onto the rookie list.

Strauss has great disposal made the right moves and decisions will play at some point this season.

No.22 for the red team not sure who it was looked good, had a feeling it was rhys healy but im not 100% sure.

Mclean, Green, Bruce, McDonald all provided good service as expected.

Jurrah's legs are like small little matchsticks, needs to hit the gym before we see him.

Think we are assembling a good side for the future with a focus on pace, agility, good disposal and versatility which is the way the game is heading...

Miller - very solid with a few mark and goals.

McNamara definately didn't play, saw him on the side lines, sorry youami..

Newton showed bugger all..

Sylvia looks the same as last year, so expect more of the same. He did turn it over today - I was happy with his fitness but disappointed in a few things. e.g I was surprised running off half back early and running to his left, he kicked with his right when he had to kick with his left in that situation. It was very awkward, looked like park footy and it caused a turnover.

You would think a pick 3 draft choice after 5 years could kick on his left going 3/4 pace. I wonder if we do those extra things in professionalism.

Having said that, the skills today overall were far advanced of this time last year. nothing exceptional but we didn't turn it over too often and players appeared confident to move it by foot.

Hit me up with questions, but be mindful I wasnt really watching the senior blokes.

Did Dunn play as a tagger and kept picking up possies or was he playing as an offensive mid?

Who did Martin and Frawley play on? How did they work that out when we have more backmen then forwards?

Good to see Cheney taking the kick ins.