Martin Flanagan Article in Age

hells bells

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/liam...3423226301.html

Great article by Martin Flanagan about Liam Jurrah.

Gee I hope this guy makes it, sounds like he's got all the ability. Would be great for the club and his township.

Go Dees

Yeah, terrific read. Sounds as though he has a really strong commitment to his people and now to the club. I didn't really like the point of needing another pre season before he gets a game, but with the loyalty that the story says that he has.......we've got plenty of time!

A great article by Flanagan who continues to illuminate the parts of the game that make it so great.

He has provided us all with a rough outline of how far this young man has come and how far there is yet to go.

Patience is required, so is understanding. But with blokes like CC and our solid indigenous mob at the club, anything is possible.

The way he got to the draft seems very different in this article to the way I understood it to be, very interesting stuff

Terrific Article and a good spread in the paper version. The potential for Liam to be a great success story is clearly there and MFC is a great place for him to be to realise it, espscially with Aaron there to guide him. Also with Aussie and Wheels there is a good group of indigenous players to support him.

We are also looking forward to meeting with him and my boys cant wait to add him to our photo collection of their MFC cousins (currently Davey, Whelan, Pickett, S Motlop and Aussie W).

i think we can all agree that martin is one of the best football journalists that we have.

quick query though, I was of the understanding that Jurrah did not actually successfully apply for the National Draft, but Flanagan says that "after Collingwood did not take him"??????

I'm with you Nugget, that's what I was saying before.

I thought he missed the application deadline but was approved for a special entry into the National Draft.

I can't wait to see him play! Tony you can also add Bennel and Jetta to your list!

The thing that stood out for me was that Davey and Wonaeamirri were beside him at the interview for support. That's the kind of thing I like to see at our club. Players sticking together.

Also interesting to read that Jurrah's going to need another pre-season before he's ready for AFL football. Not that I expected him to be fit and ready for Round 1, but I wonder how much work needs to be done.

Gee I hope this guy makes it, sounds like he's got all the ability. Would be great for the club and his township.

Go Dees

Interesting that he mentioned the story of the Kaditchka men.

The Kaditchka man is an initiated member of the tribe whose job is to "cast" the spell which kills someone who has transgressed tribal law. Just the sight of him is enough to kill. They are covered all over with Red Ochre and wear emu feather shoes which leave no track, thereby adding to the mystique.

Anyhow the story goes that at Yuendemmu everyone turned up for the footy final, with many travelling hundreds of kilometers from the surrounding district.

A couple of Koori fellas drive there, but their car breaks down a few miles out of town. Rather than miss out on the match, they decide to walk the rest of the way into town. Along the red, dusty road.

They finally arrive after the game has commenced, but by this time are covered from head to foot in the red bull-dust that they have had to walk through.

The crowd spots them coming over the horizon and think they are Kaditchka or Red Ochre men. The spectators literally take to the bush in fear for their lives, and so do many of the players......

With the teams unable to field teams and the spectators long gone, the match is abandoned....

Interesting that he mentioned the story of the Kaditchka men.

The Kaditchka man is an initiated member of the tribe whose job is to "cast" the spell which kills someone who has transgressed tribal law. Just the sight of him is enough to kill. They are covered all over with Red Ochre and wear emu feather shoes which leave no track, thereby adding to the mystique.

Anyhow the story goes that at Yuendemmu everyone turned up for the footy final, with many travelling hundreds of kilometers from the surrounding district.

A couple of Koori fellas drive there, but their car breaks down a few miles out of town. Rather than miss out on the match, they decide to walk the rest of the way into town. Along the red, dusty road.

They finally arrive after the game has commenced, but by this time are covered from head to foot in the red bull-dust that they have had to walk through.

The crowd spots them coming over the horizon and think they are Kaditchka or Red Ochre men. The spectators literally take to the bush in fear for their lives, and so do many of the players......

With the teams unable to field teams and the spectators long gone, the match is abandoned....

Wow, very interesting story, just reinforces that Jurrah is coming from a different world.

We need to patient with him and i don't expect him to be wearing the red and blue this year, but there are many good years ahead for him.

Thank God footy season is almost back!

Wow, very interesting story, just reinforces that Jurrah is coming from a different world.

We need to patient with him and i don't expect him to be wearing the red and blue this year, but there are many good years ahead for him.

Thank God footy season is almost back!

I saw Jurrah play last year. His movement was typical of many who play in the frenetic, free-style tempo of desert footy. Leading towards the flanks, he had great recovery skills - would mark in the air, and then in the same movement start turning to run past his opponent and towards the goal. He kicked 2.1 that day and was the most threatening player Collingw&%$ had. He was a good kick on the run too.

He kicked eight goals in his four games with Collingw&%$ VFL, and was best for the Magpies in his first game for them (a loss against the Northern Bullants). It was a marvellous effort considering how fractured, slow and cautious their midfield was last year.

Go Dees

Wow What a Superb Read. This is the sort of things we need at melbourne to lift our profile. The MFC is the place people WANT to come to & PLAY for.

Positive stuff. Flanagan is a true poet & writer. I was up there amongst the tribe reading that.

Wow What a Superb Read. This is the sort of things we need at melbourne to lift our profile. The MFC is the place people WANT to come to & PLAY for.

Positive stuff. Flanagan is a true poet & writer. I was up there amongst the tribe reading that.

I would gave liked to see him in some Melbourne gear anyway hope he can get used to city life and make the most of his potential.

I for one am expecting nothing from him but hope for the best

Can I apologise up front for actually being a Collingwood supporter. Liam Jurrah is a very close friend of mine.

I just wanted to congratulate the MFC for providing such a welcoming and supportive environment for him. He is settling in very well and has already got a few close mates amongst the team.

For background, let me set the record straight. Liam was not eligible for the national draft, because neither Collingwood or anyone else nominated him. He only became eligible in the PSD/Rookie draft after Rupert Betheras tracked Liam down in Central Australia, got his signature on a form and made a special plea to the AFL to allow his nomination to be accepted. It was, and the rest is history. For your information, however, I have it on very good authority that Ben Cousins can thank the Demons for him being drafted by the Tigers. If Melbourne had not drafted Liam with their first pick the Tigers were set to pounce.

When Liam left the Collingwood VFL team in the middle of 2008 he returned home to play for his beloved Yuendumu Magpies. They were sitting near the bottom the the AFL-CA ladder. With Liam back in the side Yuendumu won the next 8 games on the trot and got into the Grand final. During an 8 minute spell in the first quarter Liam kicked 4 goals. Yuendumu won the flag. Liam won the equivalent of the Norm Smith. Believe me, this boy can play.

Anyway, with Liam Jurrah (his teammates call him 'LJ') now at the the Demons, they have now become my 2nd team. Let me just say that he is one of the most exciting players I've ever seen - he runs like Aaron Davey and leaps in the air higher than Robbo. I certainly hope that he gets a chance to play senior footy this year as he is raring to go. Whatever happens, the MFC can be proud that they have broken new ground in having the first ever true desert footballer to play AFL. He and the Demons have already made history. Let's hope this is just the start of a long and exciting journey.

PS. Even though my heart bleeds black and white, I'll be there amongst Dees supporters cheering Liam on when he gets to play in red and blue. Go Liam and go Dees!

Can I apologise up front for actually being a Collingwood supporter. Liam Jurrah is a very close friend of mine.

I just wanted to congratulate the MFC for providing such a welcoming and supportive environment for him. He is settling in very well and has already got a few close mates amongst the team.

For background, let me set the record straight. Liam was not eligible for the national draft, because neither Collingwood or anyone else nominated him. He only became eligible in the PSD/Rookie draft after Rupert Betheras tracked Liam down in Central Australia, got his signature on a form and made a special plea to the AFL to allow his nomination to be accepted. It was, and the rest is history. For your information, however, I have it on very good authority that Ben Cousins can thank the Demons for him being drafted by the Tigers. If Melbourne had not drafted Liam with their first pick the Tigers were set to pounce.

When Liam left the Collingwood VFL team in the middle of 2008 he returned home to play for his beloved Yuendumu Magpies. They were sitting near the bottom the the AFL-CA ladder. With Liam back in the side Yuendumu won the next 8 games on the trot and got into the Grand final. During an 8 minute spell in the first quarter Liam kicked 4 goals. Yuendumu won the flag. Liam won the equivalent of the Norm Smith. Believe me, this boy can play.

Anyway, with Liam Jurrah (his teammates call him 'LJ') now at the the Demons, they have now become my 2nd team. Let me just say that he is one of the most exciting players I've ever seen - he runs like Aaron Davey and leaps in the air higher than Robbo. I certainly hope that he gets a chance to play senior footy this year as he is raring to go. Whatever happens, the MFC can be proud that they have broken new ground in having the first ever true desert footballer to play AFL. He and the Demons have already made history. Let's hope this is just the start of a long and exciting journey.

PS. Even though my heart bleeds black and white, I'll be there amongst Dees supporters cheering Liam on when he gets to play in red and blue. Go Liam and go Dees!

I smell something fishy "Rude Boy". No self respecting "filth" supporter would (a) support a player who left the club, (B) admit to being a "filth" supporter on another clubs forum, © close friend of boy from woop woop - yet on the internet forums hey?? :o

I cannot believe that I as saying this (please forgive me) but welcome and thanks for your comments, I think we may see him play towards the end of the season.

Thanks a lot for the RudeBoy.

This is what I love about footy, the way it can bring people together. Even rival footy fans can find ways to become connected in the one facet of life where they should be enemies.

That's great to hear he's settling in well, it makes me very proud to be a Melbourne fan and I for one am very grateful you took the time to share your experience with him, so thank you.

LJ for the winning goal in QB :P

Wow, that is an inpiring read. Lets just hope we can hang onto him and he does not want to return home. We hear of guys coming down from Darwin or Alice Springs who just can not handle a metropolis like melbourne. Can u imagine some of the trepidation this young bloke must have felt when he came here for the 1st time and possibly still feels today. I have a lot of faith in wheels and Flash who will nurture him and who knows we may have one of the best long shot draft pickups the AFL has ever seen. Good luck LJ

45, i think we have our questions answered. I think what Flanagan meant was, no one proposed him for the national draft. i think to apply for the draft, a club or school has to nominate you, (ie sandy dragons) and no one did this for liam...

Thanks for that RudeBoy. After Reading this story i will watch closely the progress of LJ. Let's Hope he can win a few games off his own Boot for the Demons Now! Look out Queen's Birthday-Maybe that's when DB should run him off the bench early in the 3rd Q with the Instructions "Just Go For it"

45, i think we have our questions answered. I think what Flanagan meant was, no one proposed him for the national draft. i think to apply for the draft, a club or school has to nominate you, (ie sandy dragons) and no one did this for liam...

Not exactly. A player can simply nominate himself, but the point that Flanagan was making was that had Collingwood really wanted him, they would have made sure his nomination was organised. It's their loss and your gain that they chose not to pursue Liam.

I perfectly understand why some here would query the authenticity of a Pies supporter coming on to a Demons fan site. A Demon supporter would cop plenty of [censored] if he ventured on to Nicks bulletin board. The only reason for my message was that my loyalty is primarily to Liam and I thought since you guys are his support base now, you'd appreciate some background info. I hope you all get behind Jungarrayi (that's his skin name) as he will need to know he's embraced by the Melbourne mob.