• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Major Sponsor

iv'a worn smith

cording to the age tigers and luxbet have done the deal and it will be wrapped up soon, leaving only us without a sponsor - a factoid tucked away in a story by caro about cousins.

it's less money than tigers wanted but luxbet will be on the back of their guernsey

I thought I heard Sportsbet. But whatever. I'm pretty sure I also heard that we were chasing the same betting agency that Richmond got.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meanwhile, Stynes is confident the Demons will be able to secure a major sponsor before the start of the season.

"We are talking to everybody. Because we know how important it is, we will bend over backwards to ensure the sponsor gets a great deal.

"It will certainly be one of the best value sponsorships in the AFL this year because of the circumstances."

Obviously the Melbourne brand is valued so little, that the club President is going public on a fire sale for our sponsorship.

All you guys that think that at Melbourne Football Club it is raining chocolates and strippers need to think again. We are VERY VERY close to becoming on the same page as University and Fitzroy in the AFL history books.

Our club president has just come out publicly and inferred that they are giving away sponsorships (in AFL terms) as the Melbourne brand is so devalued.

Has this board managed to be voted in yet or is there still an AGM? Are they running unopposed? Its a real shame. I hear plenty but have yet to see anything of substance from this group. I want to believe.... they are just making it very VERY hard.

C'mon Jack Watts inspire me in 2009 to start believing again!

Guest JACKtheRIPPER
Meanwhile, Stynes is confident the Demons will be able to secure a major sponsor before the start of the season.

"We are talking to everybody. Because we know how important it is, we will bend over backwards to ensure the sponsor gets a great deal.

"It will certainly be one of the best value sponsorships in the AFL this year because of the circumstances."

Obviously the Melbourne brand is valued so little, that the club President is going public on a fire sale for our sponsorship.

All you guys that think that at Melbourne Football Club it is raining chocolates and strippers need to think again. We are VERY VERY close to becoming on the same page as University and Fitzroy in the AFL history books.

Our club president has just come out publicly and inferred that they are giving away sponsorships (in AFL terms) as the Melbourne brand is so devalued.

Has this board managed to be voted in yet or is there still an AGM? Are they running unopposed? Its a real shame. I hear plenty but have yet to see anything of substance from this group. I want to believe.... they are just making it very VERY hard.

C'mon Jack Watts inspire me in 2009 to start believing again!

yeah and i cyclone is going to hit victoria and were all going to perish,these threads have to stop, there no good for morale, if this board cant get us out of this hole no one else will, we will see what our brand is worth when were kickin ass again.

Agreed, whilst we don't officially have a sponsor yet, there are still those that want to back our club through thick and thin.

I propose that if you don't like it Frank, then send your ideas and notions to the Melbourne Football Club, they would be more than happy to hear them.

I don't think that its a matter of that Melbourne look desperate for the sponsorship, but at least he has mentioned something about it. At least they aren't hiding the issue and pretending that it isn't there like in previous years and issues before. Cover ups don'thelp no-one.

Gippy

AGM is thursday night at G. Don't believe anyone else is standing so will be elected unopposed.

I think they had some good idea's in terms of initiatives and getting the supporter feeling apart of the club again, but this is the crunch moment. We need a major sponsor, without it the media will be standing there waiting to declare us circling the drain, especially tosspots like Fatrick Smith. Surely the AFL allowing gaming companies to sponsor us can get us what we need.

I guess the only thing that's making us look attractive is that any sponsor who takes us on will have a "goodwill" vibe and be seen as a morally good company or something. Something like Mars was for Tassie.

For the first time in a while we have no spin coming from the board and you aren't happy? He has not said we will give it away! BTW, in caes you weren't paying attention, board nominations were called for months ago and no one new put their hand up. Are you surprised? Because I'm not.

Even those who haven't considered it yet would know Melbourne is a cheap sponsorship option, exposure and finals prospects wise. Maybe Stynes message will bring some more potential sponsors out of the woodwork. Keep in mind in this busines environment that any CEO announcing a sponsiorship deal will want to say to their shareholders that they have got value for money, Stynes message also provides this opportunity.

Now we just need a CEO sponsor with some Kahunas!! ;)

Its a fairly poorly kept secret in certain circles, but up until last week, the MFC had been progressing very well in talks with a significantly large global corporate entity regarding sponsorship.

That was, until, another club got in their ear singing the virtues of sponsoring a "one-town team" and convinced them that signing on as a secondary sponsor with them would cost them less money and give equal exposure to signing on with a certain unfashionable Victorian club "that only plays on Sunday afternoons". Expect an announcement from up north in the coming weeks from the Brisbane Lions and the worlds biggest sugared beverage company. :angry:

Edit: Hello btw. I'm new.

Its a fairly poorly kept secret in certain circles, but up until last week, the MFC had been progressing very well in talks with a significantly large global corporate entity regarding sponsorship.

That was, until, another club got in their ear singing the virtues of sponsoring a "one-town team" and convinced them that signing on as a secondary sponsor with them would cost them less money and give equal exposure to signing on with a certain unfashionable Victorian club "that only plays on Sunday afternoons". Expect an announcement from up north in the coming weeks from the Brisbane Lions and the worlds biggest sugared beverage company. :angry:

Edit: Hello btw. I'm new.

Excuse my ignorance, but how does a sponsorship deal fall through if it's progressing well? Surely there's no haggling done by the MFC to squeeze the last dollar out of the potential sponsor.

And who is the moron at the MFC who is leaking this information? They should keep their trap shut until the deal is finalised and save us additional bad press.

Excuse my ignorance, but how does a sponsorship deal fall through if it's progressing well? Surely there's no haggling done by the MFC to squeeze the last dollar out of the potential sponsor.

And who is the moron at the MFC who is leaking this information? They should keep their trap shut until the deal is finalised and save us additional bad press.

Never have a positive word to say, do you?

Its easy to be critical, but you're not bringing much to the table.

He did say "had been progressing very well"until.....There was no inference that the MFC were undertaking undue haggling.

There is a possibility that the leak in this instance did not come from the MFC side. However if it is from the MFC then this continues a rather disappointing ritual where everything from sponsorships to the dismissal of CEOs is orchestrated through leaks.

It is now nearly 3 weeks since the Doggies announced that they have signed Mission Foods to a 3 year $4.5 million major sponsorship. We continue to hear that Richmond is close to signing a major sponsorship with Luxbet. We have no major sponsorship and none in sight. Here are three takes on the same situation:

"Schwab told the Herald Sun this week the Demons were still confident of finding a backer and were looking long-term". C Schwab 17 January.

"Meanwhile, Stynes is confident the Demons will be able to secure a major sponsor before the start of the season. "We are talking to everybody. Because we know how important it is, we will bend over backwards to ensure the sponsor gets a great deal". J Stynes 3 February.

"Its a fairly poorly kept secret in certain circles, but up until last week, the MFC had been progressing very well in talks with a significantly large global corporate entity regarding sponsorship. That was, until, another club got in their ear singing the virtues of sponsoring a "one-town team" and convinced them that signing on as a secondary sponsor with them would cost them less money and give equal exposure to signing on with a certain unfashionable Victorian club "that only plays on Sunday afternoons". Expect an announcement from up north in the coming weeks from the Brisbane Lions and the worlds biggest sugared beverage company". ImTheGreatRonBarassi 3 February.

Unpalatable though it is I would rather hear the truth about our sponsorship situation than listen to two "morons at the MFC" (your language) nailed to crucifixes on Jolimont Hill whistling "Always look on the bright side of life".

Thanks ITGRB - great to have transparency over bulldust.

I believe the circumstances he is referring to are the 'global economic crisis' rather than the Melbourne brand crisis.

It is now nearly 3 weeks since the Doggies announced that they have signed Mission Foods to a 3 year $4.5 million major sponsorship. We continue to hear that Richmond is close to signing a major sponsorship with Luxbet. We have no major sponsorship and none in sight. Here are three takes on the same situation:

"Schwab told the Herald Sun this week the Demons were still confident of finding a backer and were looking long-term". C Schwab 17 January.

"Meanwhile, Stynes is confident the Demons will be able to secure a major sponsor before the start of the season. "We are talking to everybody. Because we know how important it is, we will bend over backwards to ensure the sponsor gets a great deal". J Stynes 3 February.

"Its a fairly poorly kept secret in certain circles, but up until last week, the MFC had been progressing very well in talks with a significantly large global corporate entity regarding sponsorship. That was, until, another club got in their ear singing the virtues of sponsoring a "one-town team" and convinced them that signing on as a secondary sponsor with them would cost them less money and give equal exposure to signing on with a certain unfashionable Victorian club "that only plays on Sunday afternoons". Expect an announcement from up north in the coming weeks from the Brisbane Lions and the worlds biggest sugared beverage company". ImTheGreatRonBarassi 3 February.

Unpalatable though it is I would rather hear the truth about our sponsorship situation than listen to two "morons at the MFC" (your language) nailed to crucifixes on Jolimont Hill whistling "Always look on the bright side of life".

Thanks ITGRB - great to have transparency over bulldust.

Fair go.

Stynes and Schwab both said they were confident of getting a sponsor with Stynes adding "before the season commences". The season commences on March 29. Today is the 4th of February. What is the problem? Why are they referred to as morons?

They did run a debt demolition campaign that was needed to reduce the previous Board's debt and raised over $3million.

The previous Board left the club last on the ladder and over $5million in debt. Maybe we need more "morons".

ITGRB has posted his or her first thread. Who says it is accurate? It may or may not be.

I am not an apologist for this Board but they deserve a fair go. The previous Board got ( 5 years ) and we ended up last and as I said owing over $5million. I can't recall them being called morons after 6 months if at all.

Fair go.

Stynes and Schwab both said they were confident of getting a sponsor with Stynes adding "before the season commences". The season commences on March 29. Today is the 4th of February. What is the problem? Why are they referred to as morons?

They did run a debt demolition campaign that was needed to reduce the previous Board's debt and raised over $3million.

The previous Board left the club last on the ladder and over $5million in debt. Maybe we need more "morons".

ITGRB has posted his or her first thread. Who says it is accurate? It may or may not be.

I am not an apologist for this Board but they deserve a fair go. The previous Board got ( 5 years ) and we ended up last and as I said owing over $5million. I can't recall them being called morons after 6 months if at all.

Actually I don't think any of them are "morons". They are all doing their best in difficult circumstances. Nothing would make me happier than the signing of a major sponsor - I expect it from those who have made us promises. My point is that if someone comes on here and tells us all that we have fumbled the sponsorship ball (again!!!) then the leaking this information does not make its source at the Club a moron. Rather Stynes and Schwab telling us that she'll be apples is far more reprehensible.

He did say "had been progressing very well"until.....There was no inference that the MFC were undertaking undue haggling.

There is a possibility that the leak in this instance did not come from the MFC side. However if it is from the MFC then this continues a rather disappointing ritual where everything from sponsorships to the dismissal of CEOs is orchestrated through leaks.

OK, I shouldn't jump to conclusions that the leak came from within the MFC, but I assumed that ITGRB was referring to the football world with his reference to "certain circles".

And my reference to haggling was tongue in cheek. I just find it annoying that somebody would be spruiking that things are progressing well if the sponsorship wasn't a done deal, and they were just waiting for the ink to dry.

I would forget about attracting a major sponsor for a few weeks and concentrate on the "youth summit". I am sure that a bunch of TimeZone playing, pimply teens will get us out of this mess.

Am I the only one that is sick of the spin and wants to see some results.

Yes they are transparent. Yes they raised money to cut the debt.

All of this is great.

How about some indicators that we are not going to accumulate a similar debt in 2009. Maybe the business plan revolves around annual debt demolition campaigns and summits.

The only summit us Melbourne supporters should see is at Mt Buller.

Actually I don't think any of them are "morons". They are all doing their best in difficult circumstances. Nothing would make me happier than the signing of a major sponsor - I expect it from those who have made us promises. My point is that if someone comes on here and tells us all that we have fumbled the sponsorship ball (again!!!) then the leaking this information does not make its source at the Club a moron. Rather Stynes and Schwab telling us that she'll be apples is far more reprehensible.

I don't know who ITGRB is and I wouldn't know the accuracy of the post.

I don't know if the sponsorship was "fumbled" or the Lions simply had a better product to offer. That needs some examination.

As for Stynes and Schwab saying "she'll be apples", would you prefer " we are stuffed and will be out of the AFL soon". That would be great for the morale of the team, staff and supporters on the eve of a new season.

I share your wish for the announcement soon of a major sponsor for the MFC.

Guest hangon007

Can I suggest there is plenty uncalled for negative speculation around here at present.

IMHO its time we let the boys up top do there stuff and we as supporters start talking our club up.

Lets look on the bright side and say in the middle of a "global financial crisis" you must seek value, seek to build a long term partnership that can be a win-win scenario. For the life of me I cant see why a "smart CEO" with any smarts cannot see, we as a Football club have only one way to go ... UP.

Surely some "smart company" will seize the chance to get on board at a value price.

If my memory serves me right it wasn't that long ago a relatively obscure electronics company called "LG" sponsored us in a very, very similar position.

I'm also sure, unlike many other AFL football clubs ... a potential major sponsor would not be taken for granted ... personally I would walk to the moon and back (figuratively speaking) to support their product or brand.

I am sorry if there was any confusion. It's hard trying to be discrete and clear at the same time and I really didn't want to paint the club in a negative manner as I don't think they did anything wrong in this affair. To clarify, the 'certain circles' are not football circles, but corporate ones. I cannot say much more but a similar sponsor to the one in question has recently moved on from Brisbane clearing the path for the new one to come along along and combined with the cheaper alternative offered offered by Brisbane in these lean economic times, we missed out. Fair to say it was a bit of of a perfect storm and there wasn't much we could have done.

Also it was not made entirely clear to me whether Coke (okay I said it!) was planning to sign on as our major sponsor. It may have just been as an intermediate sponsor. In summary, the club didn't do anything wrong and it may not have been a truly massive loss regardless. I am sure these deals are happening all the time. I was just passing on a nugget that passed my way, and I was a little clumsy in reporting it.

IS STARTING THE SEASON WITHOUT A MAJOR SPONSOR SUCH A BAD THING???

I can see how it could be turned into a positive.

Think about it:

- Weeks & months of speculation and waiting with baited breath, as this topic becomes larger than life

- Disappointment after disappointment over 'missed opportunities' when any sponsors sign with other clubs, whether we are in talks with them or not

- The media circus growing to fever pitch as the season is about to commence & MFC are still without a major sponsor

- If MFC can negotiate cleverly there would be a bidding war between sponsors fighting to be our 'white knight'

- The feeling of elation for supporters as a major sponsor is announced at a massive press conference with maximum media coverage

- Imagine if we didn't have one when the season started and won the first game or a couple of the first few?? Losing will not be an issue because that will be expected anyway.

Any publicity is good publicity.

And if a potential sponsor is concerned about being aligned with an unsuccessful club (of late), just point them towards the brand loyalty they will be getting from any MFC supporters.

I can't put into words the gratitude I will feel towards any company that pulls my club from the mire (providing a good deal is made).

Already having a major sponsor signed & ready to go, but holding the announcement until after the season starts could even be quite a clever marketing ploy (not that I'm saying this is the case).

My only concern - will MFC lose money by not having a major sponsor once the season commences? I imagine so.

Other clubs' supporters' & the general public's opinions of our image means little to me; it'll change rapidly once we start winning again anyway.

Surely some "smart company" will seize the chance to get on board at a value price.

If my memory serves me right it wasn't that long ago a relatively obscure electronics company called "LG" sponsored us in a very, very similar position.

I'm also sure, unlike many other AFL football clubs ... a potential major sponsor would not be taken for granted ... personally I would walk to the moon and back (figuratively speaking) to support their product or brand.

Exactly my sentiment.

And I don't agree we'd need to sell our sponsorship rights for 'value price'.

Surely if this is a long term view, the first year of the deal may be reduced if games have been played where their brand hasn't been promoted...

but MelbourneFC is & will continue to be a premium brand that will (should) command a top value sponsorship.