Steven Tingay?

Yencks

does anyone know where he's at these days?

i remember him being a fitness coach at melbourne a couple of years ago...

i cant actually remember him very well but he was my favourite player for years...

can anyone comment on how good he was as a player? any photos?

i read this morning that he went to sydney and never got a game? is that true?

does anyone know where he's at these days?

i remember him being a fitness coach at melbourne a couple of years ago...

i cant actually remember him very well but he was my favourite player for years...

can anyone comment on how good he was as a player? any photos?

i read this morning that he went to sydney and never got a game? is that true?

He was awesome, much better than a lot of people realise IMHO. Cut down by injuries but even when he came back for short periods he carved it up.

My favourite player growing up by a long way. A very important player for the club & his struggles with fitness really affected the club's performance - if he was up & running we could've just about had a flag in the late 90s.

Went to sydney, but his body was done by that stage.

Had stupid long hair for ages.

When people talk about Daniel Rich's kicking it reminds me of him dashing along the wing...

My favourite player growing up by a long way. A very important player for the club & his struggles with fitness really affected the club's performance - if he was up & running we could've just about had a flag in the late 90s.

Underrated big time.

There is no coincidence that when MFC made the finals in 1994 and 1998, Tingay was up and running and in that period in between he was crippled by injury.

I would love to have another (fit) Tingay in MFC in the coming years.

Stinga was a sensational wingman for us until he fell through a glass door (stone cold sober) and did some very serious damage to his thigh buttock area. Never really recovered from that. Sydney took a punt on him a couple of seasons later, but I'm pretty certain he never played a senior game for them. Last I heard (a few years back) he was working as a green keeper at one of the prominent Melbourne golf courses. He did his apprenticeship as a greenkeeper while he was playing for the Dees.

Nugget,

Stinga did go to Sydney in an attempt to revive his career.

He had a debilitating injury as a result of scar tissue, which was caused after he walked though plate glass.

Sadly, he could not get to a physical condition which allowed him to play to his previous high standard.

Stinga was a great player for the Dees and was more recently on the football staff.

But you raise a good question, where is he now?

thanks for all of the replies

all i remember was that he played on the wing and (i think) wore number 2...also my dad used to always get him and woey mixed up :huh:

that's cos Woey was dying to BE him

Nugget,

Stinga did go to Sydney in an attempt to revive his career.

He had a debilitating injury as a result of scar tissue, which was caused after he walked though plate glass.

Sadly, he could not get to a physical condition which allowed him to play to his previous high standard.

Stinga was a great player for the Dees and was more recently on the football staff.

But you raise a good question, where is he now?

if you look iva i already answered this... im not going to say his adress... but he is in melb working at the saints and doing some landscape gardening!!!

if you look iva i already answered this... im not going to say his adress... but he is in melb working at the saints and doing some landscape gardening!!!

Yep, sorry. My server went down temporarily and I had already written the post. It uploaded once I went back online.

Excuse me for being fallible.

Many moons ago - a Friday night match, against North I think. I watched one of our new young players go round. He didn't get a lot of the footy but he slotted two beautiful goals from the half forward flank & showed a fair bit of composure. Promising youngster thinks I.

After the game, in hope of scoring some free drinks, I went to meet some mates who were in a corporate box. Part of the deal was that after the game, a couple of players come & visit the corporate box for a chat. So while I'm enjoying the free beers, in rocks David Flintoff. He had some skinny little kid tagging along with him. At that time, my mum was collecting autographs so I thought I'd get "Flints" signature for her. Nice bloke David Flintoff & he duly obliged. As he handed back the pen & paper, the skinny little kid in his squeaky, skinny little kid's voice pipes up "Do you want mine too mate ?". Didn't have a clue who he was but I thought I'd humour the kid anyway & handed over the sheet. When he handed it back the signature had a little 52 on the end. Only then did I realise the skinny little kid was the guy I'd watched slot two goals from in front of the members' stand.

That was the start of Stinga becoming one of my all time favourite players. He went from No 52 to 15, the number worn by one of our greatest wingers in Stanley Alves & he did the number proud. Later, when Robert Flower asked the playing group who thought they could take on his famous No 2 it was Stinga who spoke up & said "I will". Stinga went on to honour the number of the greatest Demon winger.

While injury certainly diminished his output, his best was awesome. When Freo joined the comp, Stinga was one of the main players, along with Stewie Lowe, that they targetted to recruit to their new team. Such was the regard in which Stinga was held.

He took one of the bravest, most skilful marks you could ever see running full tilt with the flight of the ball. It was against the Crows in Adelaide & is indelibly stamped in my memory. It summed up just how good his best was.

that was a great read gtb

I don't remember watching ANY player as fondly as Stinga.

I'd go to games just purely to watch him on the wing & ignore the rest of what was going on for 90% of the match.

I want to feel like that about an MFC player again...

Pretty big raps on grimes as well, could be that wing-a to replace sting-a

My best (and bad) memory was of Stinga giving matera a bath on the wing in the prelim at subie. we were on top until stinga jarred his knee and the rest is history I guess it summed his career up. When he was playing he was the best winger in the comp but sadly another player at melb during that era that spent too much time on the sidelines.

Pretty big raps on grimes as well, could be that wing-a to replace sting-a

My best (and bad) memory was of Stinga giving matera a bath on the wing in the prelim at subie. we were on top until stinga jarred his knee and the rest is history I guess it summed his career up. When he was playing he was the best winger in the comp but sadly another player at melb during that era that spent too much time on the sidelines.

IMO Matera & Mainwaring were pretty good back then. Even though I held Stinga in high regard. I wouldn't say he was the best, but he was close to it.

What i liked about Tingay is he was rarely beaten

Brought others into the game which is exactly what we need right now

He forced opposition sides to kick to the opposite side of the ground such was his ability to win the ball on ground or in flight

Another one of those players who was forced to quit through injury when he had much more football left to play

One of the better Wingmen of his era

I saw Adams , Dixon and Flower and would rate Tingay top 5 Melbourne Wingmen

What i liked about Tingay is he was rarely beaten

He forced opposition sides to kick to the opposite side of the ground such was his ability to win the ball on ground or in flight

The original "big tank" gut runner, loved the guy, but.........

Remember his kicking?

Up and under would best describe it. Rarely delivered the ball accurately into the forward line. Many hard earned possessions wasted through turn overs, or "hanging" kicks which put the reciever under backline pressure.

I wonder if anyone could pull up some statistics on effective disposals for Stinga?

The prelim against the Weagles was at the WACA - was there. Feral.

Had a great chat to Stinga on the night of the 150th at the after party. Really nice bloke and mentioned he was doing the conditioning work down at St Kilda. Hope he was chuffed by being surrounded by half-a-dozen highly boozed and balding 40+ year olds telling him how good he was!