Please make this guy captain next year!

Bring-Back-Powell

Our captaincy will be an interesting thing to watch develop over the summer.

If you took the best candidate it would be chook, followed by Green, but I think Bruce will get it. But I dearly hope McLean or Green get it.

It's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned. We need to project a new strong, young image after what we've been through in the past couple of years.

Brock McLean puts his body in, never shirks an issue on the field and is going to be around for a long time.

There is no other candidate who fits the bill.

Guest fatty
He won't be captain in 2009, 2010 maybe but not next year.

Why?

This is the "Please make this guy captain next year!" thread.

I think you're in the wrong place.

I'm banking on an upswing in form, but I am also a realist and cannot see it happening in any meaningful way until 2010. Appoint Bruce/Green in '09 and then when the groundswell of public opinion in favour of Brock, and phrases like 'spiritual leader' start getting thrown around chuck him in.

Too soon and it will backfire.

Guest fatty
Too soon and it will backfire.

Why will it backfire?

This is painful. He is the best thing to arrive at this club in the last 10 years. He has made some mistakes and he has paid for them.

There is not one single reason why this should not happen other than some sort of misguided attempt at educated wisdom on your behalf.

Get some balls.

I have never been on the Brock for captain band wagon. I have always been of teh opinion that he has alot to learn. However after reading that article, you kind of get the impression that in fact he has learned from his mistakes and is ready to lead. It certainly helps that his mate is now gone from the club as well.

Upswing in form? Save for a few games middle of last year, and a slowish start to this one, I consider Brock to be our best midfielder. Even injured agaisnt Brissie he was our best midfielder

Thing is, even if the elect someone else as captain, we all know who we consider the captain... so why not make it official.

I agree we are on the same page, as are nearly all the other posters. C'mon Bails, you know it is inevitable. (Bails reads these forums :lol: ). Why wait a year when Chook can take the reigns in '09. The club administration has had a new look change, we're in for a new sponsor, new summer training base, new look clash jumper, new ideas courtesy of the summit to come. May as well have a new look leadership group, and fresh new Captain!

Go Demons! :angry:

In the scheme of things his "mistakes" were trivial and he has learnt from those. He leads out on the ground by the way he plays. And his contribution to the Debt Demolition was a generous act and full of real character. He was not expected to do that and did not have to do that.

MFC are looking forward to the future and he is an integral part of that. I cant see why we would not make the Badger Captain in 2009. Leadership starts with the game in the middle and I think Brock would be apt to lead the charge.

why does he say "i know it sounds stupid but I am looking forward to round 1"??

what's stupid about that?

Probably because its another well used cliche used by many footballers, Nugget.

edit: He's looking forward to putting all the surgery & rehabilitation behind him and playing footy.

why does he say "i know it sounds stupid but I am looking forward to round 1"??

what's stupid about that?

Yes, inferring that what he is saying is totally superficial as it is a given that he is looking forward to round 1.

Mclean wants to lead, title or not

"You don't need a title to lead. The best style of leadership is through actions and that's going to be my way of leading out on the field and out on the track."

That line really stuck out for me. They're the words of a strong, deeply committed captain.

Not that i need more of a reason, but that's just icing

Why will it backfire?

This is painful. He is the best thing to arrive at this club in the last 10 years. He has made some mistakes and he has paid for them.

There is not one single reason why this should not happen other than some sort of misguided attempt at educated wisdom on your behalf.

Get some balls.

It will backfire, because our form (MFC) in '09 will be mediocre at best**. I would rather that form be associated with the past, ie. Bruce/Green and when the upswing in our form occurs in 2010 it will be associated with Brock. Brock will be captain and he will be a long serving one, but being appointed too soon could risk his reputation as captain, particularly if "his" team puts out a similar performance as this year.

**Opinion, my hopes are all together different.

Upswing in form? Save for a few games middle of last year, and a slowish start to this one, I consider Brock to be our best midfielder. Even injured agaisnt Brissie he was our best midfielder

"our best midfielder"... more like our best player. I didn't mean to say HIS form, I meant to say MFC's form, but having re-read my post I understand I didn't make that distinction.

Apologies.

Guest fatty
It will backfire, because our form (MFC) in '09 will be mediocre at best**. I would rather that form be associated with the past, ie. Bruce/Green and when the upswing in our form occurs in 2010 it will be associated with Brock. Brock will be captain and he will be a long serving one, but being appointed too soon could risk his reputation as captain, particularly if "his" team puts out a similar performance as this year.

**Opinion, my hopes are all together different.

Well, its an interesting point of view, but hardly a compelling argument

For some reason, the word "feeble" comes to mind.

Mclean wants to lead, title or not

"You don't need a title to lead. The best style of leadership is through actions and that's going to be my way of leading out on the field and out on the track."

This guy is only 22 i really think he needs to earn the respect from his peers then he will definately be captain

Till then Junior should be that person

personally i see only 2 options. junior (for one year) or mclean. i think junior only has one year left, and that is one of the reasons he is a more preferable option to bruce/green, because i think the club will want to get a young bloke to captain the side asap. both mclean and junior lead by example on and off the field, so i think both are good choices.