Zac Dawson

Redleg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough. I can't comment on his strength because obviously I don't know his level. I would assume though that putting on 13k's would have to involve an increase in strength to a degree.

Either that or he's had a good spell in the paddock, leaving nothing left on his plate.

But seriously, I agree with WJ haven't we already got enough defenders, and do we really need to pick up another defender who is NQR?

Either that or he's had a good spell in the paddock, leaving nothing left on his plate.

But seriously, I agree with WJ haven't we already got enough defenders, and do we really need to pick up another defender who is NQR?

Our best rarely gets on the park, another had his first batch of games at 24 and a third is in his first real year and could go forward and the last also in his first year may be needed to help Jamar. ( Rivers, Warnock, Garland, Martin.)

Most good judges and coaches say you build a team from the backline.

Our best rarely gets on the park, another had his first batch of games at 24 and a third is in his first real year and could go forward and the last also in his first year may be needed to help Jamar. ( Rivers, Warnock, Garland, Martin.)

Most good judges and coaches say you build a team from the backline.

Rivers, Garland, Frawley, Whelan, Martin, Warnock, Petterd, Grimes, Bell, Buckley - (10) are all candidates for the backline. Having now lost Carroll and CJ, you may have a case. However, if there is a better option than Dawson available in the PSD#1, we'll take it.

Rivers, Garland, Frawley, Whelan, Martin, Warnock, Petterd, Grimes, Bell, Buckley - (10) are all candidates for the backline. Having now lost Carroll and CJ, you may have a case. However, if there is a better option than Dawson available in the PSD#1, we'll take it.

I left out Frawley but the others named are flankers.

I certainly agree that if there is a better option than Dawson we should take it. He is only a suggestion.

I left out Frawley but the others named are flankers.

Yes the other names were halfback flankers (Buckley, Bell, Petterd & Grimes) , but IMO are candidates to form part of the back six.

Bell can play on different sized opponents and is flexible, even though sometimes considered NQR among some Melbourne supporters due to his awareness and peripheral vision in and out of traffic, of which I am one, who has criticised him on occassions.

I certainly agree that if there is a better option than Dawson we should take it. He is only a suggestion.

Fair enough.

• 10 months later...
Sorry to throw in another name from the paper, but there was an article on this bloke in the sunday paper and he has put on 13k's and looks a strapping lad.

He is a full back with experience and is only 22 and 195-6 cms. Would rather him than Carroll on the list.

Very disappointed at being delisted he is desperate for another chance and was apparently in good form all year for Box Hill but couldn't crack the Hawks team.

If he was picked up by us and filled full back we could release Garland and/or Martin to other areas which would be of help.

Worth considering, as I am sure our footy department will do.

Thought it might be an appropriate time to refresh this and suggest that you don't have to be a Burgoyne to get looked at.

Rookied and played nearly every game for the Saints. Next week the GF.

Edited by Redleg

Lets see how Dawson goes in the heat of the GF against a decent tall. He shat himself several times tonight against a very small forwardline, and still has "Napoleon Dynamite" written all over his face.

Having said that, it was a good get for free.

Being a tall KP player always gives you a greater scope of failure, because you're given a lot more time to develop and clubs are more willing to take a punt on you. See M.Newton as exhibit A, A.Rogers as exhibit B, and N.Gill as exhibit C. Newton and Gill are still on AFL lists and Rogers was given a second chance at Sydney. If they were 10cm shorter they'd be cleaning up toilet by now.

Lets see how Dawson goes in the heat of the GF against a decent tall. He shat himself several times tonight against a very small forwardline, and still has "Napoleon Dynamite" written all over his face.

You obviously saw something I didn't if you think he shat himself tonight. I (and the TV commentators) thought he played a great game. He also has great disposal.

Thought it might be an appropriate time to refresh this and suggest that you don't have to be a Burgoyne to get looked at.

Rookied and played nearly every game for the Saints. Next week the GF.

With the exception of Jurrah this bloke has to be the story of the year. To cop the crap that he has taken over the years and to bounce back the way he has is amazing. Firstly to crack into the side then replace their best backman for over a decade and now to play in a Grand Final I don't think anyone would have seen that coming and good on him for proving everyone wrong. If it wasn't for Milne I'd like to see them win the Premiership.

You obviously saw something I didn't if you think he shat himself tonight. I (and the TV commentators) thought he played a great game. He also has great disposal.

He didn't pull out of contests or anything, if that's what you think I meant, certainly not.

But there were a couple of instances where he did some really silly things, that showed he was really raw and lacks intelligence, that's what I meant by shat himself. For example, he had a Dogs player running at him at one stage, he panicked and knocked the ball to the Dog's advantage, then later he flat out dropped the ball when put under pressure. Now obviously those things can happen to anyone, but Dawson really doesn't fill me with much confidence and as a tall forward I'd say you would prefer to play on Dawson than on Hudgton, who is far more experienced. I suppose we'll see how he goes next week when faced with Mooney/Hawkins or Anthony/Rocca/Cloke.

Perhaps when looking at the strength and composure of Brian Lake and Dale Morris it is hard to be blown away by Zac Dawson. He was OK today but really, who was he playing on? The Dogs have nobody who could outmuscle him, but most other clubs do. His performances this year have been comprehensively enhanced by St Kilda's brilliant defensive midfield pressure. If he played for Melbourne I reckon he'd struggle, as he did when he was at the Hawks.

With the exception of Jurrah this bloke has to be the story of the year. To cop the crap that he has taken over the years and to bounce back the way he has is amazing. Firstly to crack into the side then replace their best backman for over a decade and now to play in a Grand Final I don't think anyone would have seen that coming and good on him for proving everyone wrong. If it wasn't for Milne I'd like to see them win the Premiership.

i wonder if have SOS as assistant helped him in became a talented player, they rookied 2 players from other clubs Dawson has shone while Begley has gone missing. Maybe we should try n give a young discard another crack perhaps

Dawson didnt have an opponent, as he genuinely let his man run up the field so the Saints would have numerical advantage in its back half, as result nearly every marking contest he was involved in he was in beneficial 2 on 1 scenarios. Sure he did some good things, but he is a liability when the Saints have possession, he almost cost them the game, and if he had to take on a good key forward one on one in a conventional game, he would be comfortably outclassed most of the time.

Dawson is an absolute liability.

Supposedly a better user of the ball than Hudgton (spelling?) but he rarely kicks it, and often handballs into trouble.

He is the first player in a possession string to kick backwards and this too many times plays into the opposition hands.

He absolutely shat himself last night in the final quarter when he tapped the ball back into the Dog's attacking zone, and earlier at the Richmond end when he handballed into a teammate's back who was standing about one metre away.

He did run down Johnson but otherwise did not contribute. His selection is a mystery.

Supposedly a better user of the ball than Hudgton (spelling?) but he rarely kicks it, and often handballs into trouble.

He is the first player in a possession string to kick backwards and this too many times plays into the opposition hands.

He absolutely shat himself last night in the final quarter when he tapped the ball back into the Dog's attacking zone, and earlier at the Richmond end when he handballed into a teammate's back who was standing about one metre away.

He did run down Johnson but otherwise did not contribute. His selection is a mystery.

If he was a liability last night, then I am no judge.I thought he played surprisingly well.Judgement was good. Won on the night.

He's played 21 games in a team that has lost 2 for the season (when it didn't matter) and has kept out players like Hudghton and McGuire after being picked up in the rookie draft. He's played in a defense that has one of the best records ever.

Yeh, he's a liability.

Great call Redleg, from a quick re-read you were the only one to see the possibility and defend it. Ironic isn't it that Hawthorn are now crying out for a defender.

Dawson really doesn't fill me with much confidence and as a tall forward I'd say you would prefer to play on Dawson than on Hudgton, who is far more experienced.

He's kept Hudghton out of the side all year, hasn't he?

Clearly the Saints match committee see something in him and they watch much more Saints footy than me, so I'll defer to their judgement.

Hudghton must be shattered.

He's played 21 games in a team that has lost 2 for the season (when it didn't matter) and has kept out players like Hudghton and McGuire after being picked up in the rookie draft. He's played in a defense that has one of the best records ever.

Yeh, he's a liability.

Great call Redleg, from a quick re-read you were the only one to see the possibility and defend it. Ironic isn't it that Hawthorn are now crying out for a defender.

HaHa Hawthorn would have been GUTTED watching last night game. Thier underwear the same colour as thier disgusting jumpers!!! I laughed every time Dawson was near the Ball. Played a total Cracker last night.

Hawthorn "The Family Club" my ass. With Dawson in thier side this year they would have played deep september.

HaHaHa I Hate you Hawthorn, with all of my little Black Heart. Hope you enjoyed last night. :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by why you little

HaHa Hawthorn would have been GUTTED watching last night game. Thier underwear the samw colour as thier disgusting jumpers!!! I laughed every time Dawson was near the Ball. Played a total Cracker last night.

Hawthorn "The Family Club" my ass. With Dawson in thier side this year they would have played deep september.

HaHaHa I Hate you Hawthorn, with all of my little Black Heart. Hope you enjoyed last night. :lol::lol::lol:

Careful - its likely that we may end up delisting someone, either this year or in the very near future, who then goes on to be a solid contributor at another club.

Careful - its likely that we may end up delisting someone, either this year or in the very near future, who then goes on to be a solid contributor at another club.

Quite Possible, but we were not defending a flag, after our main defenders foot exploded. Croad will not play again, never was.

Hawthorn Stuffed up Bad & i like that a lot. :lol:

Thanks Fan. I really just want us to all be aware that sometimes there are players out there not coming from the usual avenues that can still play AFL. Whether they be recycled like Dawson, from the indigenous communities like Jurrah or mature age like Harry Taylor. They don't all have to be Burgoyne, Judd or Scully.

Yeh, he's a liability.

Take another look at that panic-struck play three and a half minutes from the finish, Fan, and you'll see if Gia had kicked marginally straighter Zac D would have cost his side the game.

One run down, one contested mark and one spoil a defender do not make.

Edited by pitmaster

Armstrong, Jolly, Bassett... There have been a few.

Take another look at that panic-struck play three and a half minutes from the finish, Fan, and you'll see if Gia had kicked marginally straighter Zac D would have cost his side the game.

One run down, one contested mark and one spoil a defender do not make.

Thanks for the advice Pit but I'll not judge a player on one incident in one game, that is for mugs. I'll look at the whole year and what he's achieved.

I'll not restate his achievements but he can clearly play.

BTW, what do you think of Rivers? Just take a look at the fumble in the square against Richmond in the last quarter. That did cost us the game.