• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

My unlimited word analysis of our list

joeboy

Bartram - must be commended for his endeavour and application but his foot skills are unbelievably poor , at best , and there must be some concern that he has a future in our best 22 next year .( 2/10 )

Bate - probably the major disappointment of the year IMO . He was expected to assume a key role in our forward line but aside from the occasional cameo performance he failed to excite and was justifiably languishing in the Sandy team at season's end.( 4/10 )

Bell - there was no denying the spirit was there and the body was willing , but serious concerns are evident with his decision making and turn overs .( 4/10 )

Bode - not up to it ; after 2 mediocre seasons with limited senior appearances , the writing is on the wall .( 1/10 )

Bruce - had his detractors , but IMO was a very consistant player who was always given the hardest tasks and performed very creditably , but his foot skills were not up to the standard of the top-class onballers in the league.( 7/10 )

Buckley - the best thing to come out of a most disappointing year .He has the full package of strength , pace , poise and endurance and with a solid pre season should become a force in mid field .( 6/10 )

Carroll - just a filler , and curio item . He has no future when a full list of tall backmen is available .( 3/10 )

Davey - our most important player , IMO and needed to be fit , eager , and hungry , but was none of these because of injury or other distractions . Aaron faces a crucial year next year and could rise to greatness or fall by the wayside . I believe his future is as a permanent small forward , not an onballer .( 5/10 )

Dunn - seemed to have found his niche as a run with player , but there are concerns that he doesn't get enough of the ball , nor does he take enough overhead marks or impose himself on a game for a player of his strength and size .( 4/10 )

Frawley - failed to convince that he was worthy of such an esteemed reputation and high draft selection; his body has probably not fully developed yet , but he appears to be too short for a key position and too slow to handle the quicker small forwards .( 3/10 )

Garland - was probably the first defender selected each Thursday , such was the improvement of the player from last year's abysmal performance . With a concentration pre season on building muscle onto a formidable base , Colin will become the cornerstone of our backline for 10 years .( 7/10 )

Green - easily the most impressive and consistant of our senior players , Brad added bravery and courage to become a complete package this year , and must be the early favourite for captaincy next year .( 7/10 )

Grimes - only saw a fleeting glimpse so the jury is out ,but Sandringham watchers are quietly expectant , whilst his credentials suggest that he has the necessary qualifications to make it . ( 3/10 )

Holland - did nothing this year in his limited opportunities to suggest that retirement was premature .( 2/10 )

Jamar - we saw some progress when he was given the responsibility of first ruck , and his tap work was usually first class , but there are obviously great limitations in all other aspects of his game and he is just a cumbersome dinosaur when compared to top liners of the league .( 4/10 )

C. Johnson - made some giant strides this year to become our half-back-of-choice . Chris has the skills, temperament , poise and size now to become an important attacking weapon from defence .( 6/10 )

P. Johnson - became one of the Demon fans' favourite players after developing from a fringe ruckman into a talented and versatile big man . If he can continue to use his height, strength , and pace for good and not evil he could become a major force in our forward line .( 6/10 )

Jones - was often tagged out of games and struggled to be as effective as we'd all hoped . Nathan does not seem to think quickly enough , nor does he successfully take the first option when it is presented , seemingly preferring to take on opponents and invariably being caught in possession .( 5/10 )

McDonald - same old , same old . We Knew what we'd be getting with Junior and he didn't disappoint , but at the same time we will never see a game won by our key on baller as he lacks the pace , skills and smarts to hurt the opposition enough . His retention on our list next season must be regarded as a safety measure only in case of further injuries to McLean , Moloney, and Davey.( 6/10 )

McLean - will we ever see the greatness that we have been tantalized by ?

Maric - has genuine skills and footy smarts , but he is so small and without the blistering speed to atone for it . Addam needs big bodies around him to work most effectively , and with the absence of any Jonathan Brown - like figure in our forward line , his short term future is limited ( 3/10 ).

Martin - plenty of upside to this guy ; Stefan has a great physique and temperament but does he have the desire ? I often noticed that he was a spectator rather than imposing himself on a contest, possibly as a result of the late start to his football life limiting his understanding of the ebbs and flows in a game.( 4/10 )

Miller - definitely enjoyed his roles under Bailey and had his most consistent season at the club . Brad obviously needed to kick more goals as our biggest and most senior player in the forward line , but pleasingly he always provided a contest and played with urgency and controlled aggression .( 6/10 )

Moloney - another season cruelled by injury .

Morton - so talented but so skinny - we'll all be expectantly looking for signs of muscle and strength in 2009 to add to the exciting package . Cale came to the club with the reputation for being a talented kick , but frighteningly resembles Cam Bruce in much of his disposal .( 6/10 )

Neitz - farewell to the champion

Newton - a major disappointment who appears to lack the urgency or commitment to make it as a permanent key forward . Michael has the enviable height ,long kick ,and 'tricks ' , but needs greater strength and application ( 3/10 ).

Petterd - a season ruined by injury .

Rivers - a season ruined by injury - probably the most significant factor in our year from hell .

Robertson - for many reasons was underperforming even before his season ending injury .Does Robbo still have the desire to make it as a footballer or are there bigger markets to crack ? ( 4/10 )

Sylvia - a slow start to the year but an encouraging and impressive second half that has probably saved his future at the club . Where is his best position - he's too small for a key position , and does not seem to have the endurance for an on ball role ?( 6/10 )

Warnock -seemingly came out of hibernation ( as imposed by Daniher ) to grab and hold the

important roles on key opposition forwards , and for the most part , and under extreme duress , handled the task with aplomb .( 6/10 )

Weetra - will not be retained .

Wheatley - certainly in career best form this year . Paul was finally fit and was able to use his pace and outstanding kicking to great effect .( 8/10 )

Whelan - it was great to have Mathew back doing what he does best . We tend to overlook the fact that he missed so much football with such a serious injury and he returned to his tough and competitive football self with little fanfare or fuss.( 7/10 )

White - won his fare share of ruck contests but it's arguable that much of his work was to our advantage .( 4/10 )

Yze - a fantastic player in other years who probably stayed on 2 years too long .( 3/10 )

Valenti - a pleasing break through year but his future is probably limited because of his size and lack of pace .( 3/10 )

Wonaeamirri - some thrilling cameo performances but needs a strong and concerted pre season to bring him up to the required levels of fitness .( 4/10 )

Nice post Joeboy. A fair bit of that has clearly gone into it. Having sat through this season from hell I can't quite anything but fairly despondant right now. Too many players seemed to regress this year and others seem a long way off from making it. I could comment on every player but because I don't want to be too broad on my analysis I'll stick to a few:

Negatives:

Bartram - turnover city. I close my eyes and pray for break even result whenever he gets the ball. I don't know where this guy's future lies.

Bate - For mine he is over rated without the work ethic or skill level required at this level. He might be worth a 1st rounder to a Sydney or other side that doesn't want to slide. Please trade this guy.

Bell - Has no idea how to play footy. Seems like a good bloke who really does want to prove himself. Perhaps one of the Adelaide clubs will take him for a 2nd rounder?

Jones - has confused himself with Bartram. Terrible. Has gotten worse this year.

Positives:

Buckley - well done to Simon for a returning a season better than anyone could have hoped for. Great speed and confidence to match. A lot of turnovers accompanied him but with the low expectations placed on the team this year it was a perfect place to be for this guy. Now lets see him with another season of maturiity.

Frawley - on the surface he probably has more negatives than positives but I'm taking a glass is half full approach with this guy. Given where he was last year he improved on 2007. Having said that he'll need even more improvement next year.

Garland - The highlight of the year. period.

C. Johnson - 2nd place in my highlight of the year comp.

P. Johnson - 3rd place.

Martin - Love where this guy is going with his footy

Miller - Gets the Determination award for the year. Put alot of doubters in their place. Will need to back up again next year though.

Where to Next?

Davey - my favourite player. Having said that, he's in his prime now and we are a long way from being able to benefit from his brilliance. I'd look for a trade for a decent pick if one was available.

Valenti - I fail to understand why Bode was given time in the seniors this year and I hold the same view of this tryer. I don't see where this is going.

Guest Schtacker
Thanks for the positive feedback - it makes a nice change .

Great effort joeboy, in most cases you echo my sentiments entirely

Awful year, scary future

rivers will never play again and bell has been psychologically scarred by the johnson hit.

is this fact or just speculation?

is this fact or just speculation?

just speculation - op left untreated can linger for years. the monstrous demands on young kids to get drafted means that they don't develop properly. one carnival after another means that when the signs first became obvious, jared was never really given the chance to fully recover. hence he played injured and is still injured. i hope he gets better soon - it's a terrible thing to have.

Taking a step back we had a number of players missing:

Good players capable of getting a game in most teams best:

MCLean, Moloney, Davey, Rivers and Robinson

3 - 5 YEAR PLAYERS who have to break thru the barrier to become good - very good

Sylvia

CJ

PJ

Bate

Dunn

Jones

Add in recent draftees in Garland, Frawley, Martin and Warnock who are developing.

Plusa last years draftees - Morton (looks good, Grimes and Maric)

This years draftees??

And of course Juice who could be anything. IMO things are not that bad mainly depending on how that 3 - 5 year group develop/step up next year. These players have had heaps of time and 2009 is the year they must come good for the club.

Negatives:

Jones - has confused himself with Bartram. Terrible. Has gotten worse this year.

Brave, physically imposing, runs hard. BUT, seems to have one speed, poor acceleration, indifferent disposal and just doesn't have impact on the ground. He needs to lose weight/muscle and speed up. I don't think there is room for a Greg Williams type in today's game. I see no upside for him; he's a 20 yr old playing like a 30yr old.

Where to Next?

Davey - my favourite player. Having said that, he's in his prime now and we are a long way from being able to benefit from his brilliance. I'd look for a trade for a decent pick if one was available.

Frequently referred to as our most damaging player. Would only be a bit player in a top club.

Valenti - I fail to understand why Bode was given time in the seniors this year and I hold the same view of this tryer. I don't see where this is going.

[censored]. Bode is out of his depth, Valenti is a gem, and has shown it. He needs more game time - would/will have bigger impact than Jones or Moloney

Valenti is a gem, and has shown it. He needs more game time - would/will have bigger impact than Jones or Moloney

I am not as sold on Valenti as others here, and as far as i'm concerned Jones is still way ahead of him on many points. I see this year as the "down" year that Jones had to have, he is not and never will be a player that should take the first tag, but for the most part that's what he's had to endure and at 20 yrs of age no less.

[bear in mind i'm only looking at our young brigade]

Players that have taken positive steps:

Buckley

Sylvia

PJ

CJ

Garland

Warnock

Miller

Martin

Morton

Valenti

Aussie

Players who have gone nowhere or backwards:

Bate

Dunn (although he has had a change in playing style, he could be a lot better than he is)

McLean

Moloney

Frawley

Bell

Rivers

Bartram

Bode

Weetra

Petterd (through injury, but boy he was horrible rnd 22)

I haven't included Davey in that list as he is now past the borderline of young brigade, next year he needs to take the next step in his development because i can see the midfield working out for him if he truly has the desire to play there. And am i right in saying the Weetra and Bode have been told they are being delisted?

Oh and Jumbo, OP or not Rivers will play again and i pray it's for the MFC, because god help me if he goes to another club and gets better!

McLean

I understand why you put McLean there (because of injury) but some of his games against Fremantle, Hawthorn and Collingwood were career best. Had he played all season, he would've romped home in the B & F.

So unfair that our best players always get injured :rolleyes:

I understand why you put McLean there (because of injury) but some of his games against Fremantle, Hawthorn and Collingwood were career best. Had he played all season, he would've romped home in the B & F.

My sentiments exactly. He did some fantastic things all year.

Very fair and accurate assessment of all players. I don't disagree with any of it. Well posted joeboy.

Buckley's development was definitely the list highlight for 2008.

Agreed! However, except for the assesment of Dunn. He still is very new to the run with role. He will learn how to get possesion and run with his man in good time.

Martin - plenty of upside to this guy ; Stefan has a great physique and temperament but does he have the desire ? I often noticed that he was a spectator rather than imposing himself on a contest, possibly as a result of the late start to his football life limiting his understanding of the ebbs and flows in a game.( 4/10 )

Thanks for the time and effort you've put into this excellent post joeboy. I agree almost entirely with your assessments and scores. The only one where I have a significant difference is Martin, where I think you are being a bit harsh. His foot and hand skills are very good and his work at ground level is good for a player of his size. I agree that he could use a bit more agression, and impose himself on the contest a bit more, but I'm very confident that these traits will develop with tuition and experience. He showed enough in limited game time for me to give him a 6/10.

Don't worry i'm not having a go at Brocky (in fact he my favourite player at the club), perhaps my analysis was too simplistic but the only reason i put him in the "gone nowhere" category is because of his injuries. Had he stayed injury free only Green would've stood in his way for the B&F.

He put in some excellent performances this year, and once he is complimented with a purely skillful midfield-reciever (Morton?) his job will be made easier and to look better.

As you said, it's unfair that our best players always get injured!

hey pates, it'd be good to see bot mclean and moloney come back into that midfield. those two can take it in turns joining jones as the boys trying to get the ball, while the other is free to join cale as a reciever. mcleans boot is overrated when he is fit...

Bate

Dunn (although he has had a change in playing style, he could be a lot better than he is)

McLean

Moloney

Frawley

Bell

Rivers

Bartram

Bode

Weetra

Petterd (through injury, but boy he was horrible rnd 22)

Jones should be in that list. But I agree with who you've put there.

BUCKLEY - (5) Gave us some badly needed run off half back. Turned it over a fair bit but who doesn't at this club.

JONES - (3) Very disappointing needs to lose weight and learn how to kick.

BARTRAM - (3) Another disappointing player needs to learn how to kick and get back to peak fitness.

HOLLAND - (1) Should have retired last year.

MCLEAN - (6) Was our best player until he got injured he must get super fit next year.

BATE - (4) Not consistent enough needs to have a big pre season and learn to kick more goals.

MILLER - (5) I was happy with Miller he kicked 25 goals and really had a go a real improvement from previous years. His challange is to play even better next year.

FRAWLEY - (2) He doesn't impress me 1 bit had limited opportunities and didn't do a lot with them.

NEITZ - (1) Injured all year.

MORTON - (5) Looks a class act turns the ball over too often though, obviously needs a big summer in the gym.

P.JOHNSON - (4) Big improver has all the attributes to be a good footballer but needs to be more consistant.

SYLVIA - (3) Doesn't do enough is too lazy and should be traded.

YZE - (1) Another 3 year deal that backfired.

DUNN - (4) Done some very good stopping jobs but still is not showing enough consistancy he needs a massive pre season.

PETTERD - (1) Injured all year

GRIMES - (1) Injured most of the year.

C.JOHNSON - (4) Showed some improvement it is now time for him to deliver consistantly.

GREEN - (6) Was very consistant will be very close to wining the B&F.

MARIC - (2) Showed a little bit needs to be more accountable and needs to hit the gym.

GARLAND - (5) Our most improved player. He's quick and pretty smart another who needs to hit the gym hard.

BELL - (2) I have never seen a player get tackled as much as he does. Another 1 that should be traded.

MOLONEY - (3) Too injury prone was starting to hit some form before he got injured.

MCDONALD - (5) McDonald was McDonald if we had 22 McDonald's we wouldn't be where we are ATM.

ROBERTSON - (3) Injured for most of the year.

CHENEY - (0) Still developing.

MEESON (0) A big disappointment should be playing senior football by now form was terrible at Sandy, he is a big worry.

RIVERS - (1) Too injury prone.

WEETRA - (1) Useless never should have played a senior game.

NEWTON - (1) Very disappointing he must show something next year and he must hit the gym hard.

MCNAMARA - (0) Still developing.

WHEATLEY - (6) His best year for the club.

BRUCE - (6) He had some good games but when he was poor he was very poor will also go close to wining the B&F.

MARTIN - (4) Shows some real promise he is a big boy he now has to start using it to his advantage more.

WHITE - (1) He doesn't make a big enough impact. The time was right for him to leave.

ZOMER - (0) Still deveoping.

DAVEY - (4) Another disappointing season is he ever going to deliver consistantly? Too injury prone as well.

WARNOCK - (5) Was very solid. He needs to keep improving and have a big pre season in the gym.

WONAEAMIRRI - (4) Started the year very well tailed off a lot at the end. He clearly needs to lose weight and find some leg speed.

JAMAR - (3) His ruck work was reasonable but he just does nothing around the ground. Has been around long enough he needs to be traded.

CARROLL - (1) Useless needs to be sacked.

SPENCER - (0) Still developing.

BODE - (1) Has made no real improvement and is now sacked.

VALENTI - (3) I thought he showed a bit and was unlucky to be dropped near the end of the season. The problem with him is that he is too similar to our other midfielders.

WHELAN - (5) When he wasn't injured he played good consistant footy.