• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

I have a renewed confidence in Dean Bailey

I couldn't make it to the game today (probably a good thing), so it meant I had to watch the game on TV, but more importantly I got to see Bailey interviewed at half time.

Obviously Bailey hasn't been telling the players to over-use the ball, but sometimes it almost looked as if he did. However, in his interview today, possibly for the first time Bailey was speaking my language.

He wanted the players to take risks and he wanted them to kick it into the forward line. Clearly the players didn't listen and from watching the game on TV it was hard to see if there was a forward line to kick it to, but hearing that made my day along with watching the smooth mover, Jack Grimes.

if u ask me .... dean bailey has done little to impress.

but its very early to judge i guess

It's a bit like Mark Webber in his first couple of years in Formula 1. You don't know whether he can drive, or he's just sitting in a bucket of [censored]! :blink:

Obviously Bailey hasn't been telling the players to over-use the ball, but sometimes it almost looked as if he did. However, in his interview today, possibly for the first time Bailey was speaking my language.

He often does those half time interviews and one of the things he says almost every week is "we overdid the handball". He's been speaking your language for longer than you think.

I truly believe that he is delivering a message and that the players are listening, but our team is full of either raw players or those who are finding old habits very hard to break. This season has been an absolute shocker and I'm glad it's over, but I'm still optimistic for the future.

He often does those half time interviews and one of the things he says almost every week is "we overdid the handball". He's been speaking your language for longer than you think.

I'd not heard him come out so definitively like that before. All I usually hear is about being "competitive".

It's a bit like Mark Webber in his first couple of years in Formula 1. You don't know whether he can drive, or he's just sitting in a bucket of [censored]! :blink:

hmmm, he was with Paul Stoddart's Minardi team in his first year. I know Paul pretty well and was in the paddock and pits for that race. Basically the car was shite, but I'm not convinced about the driver either.

It's all relative but I think Bailey will end up with a better career as an AFL coach than Webber will as a driver.

hmmm, he was with Paul Stoddart's Minardi team in his first year. I know Paul pretty well and was in the paddock and pits for that race. Basically the car was shite, but I'm not convinced about the driver either.

It's all relative but I think Bailey will end up with a better career as an AFL coach than Webber will as a driver.

Gee I hope so! Oh, by the way, I didn't pick you as a name dropper. :D

So why couldn't he even generate a 10 minute burst of enthusiam from them after quarter time or half time? He seems totally incapable of generating any passion in them.

Any 22 players wearing the jumper are capable of showing 10 minutes passion and effort especially a bunch of enthusuastic kids. That is the worrying sign, when they are as flat as a [censored] carter's hat he doesn't seem to be able to get any response from them whatsoever.

Accept all the Webber comparisons about the "vehicle" he has to work with but maybe he's just a good assistant coach who hasn't got the charisma/ ability to lead? At this point you'd have to say he has failed in that regard this season.

So why couldn't he even generate a 10 minute burst of enthusiam from them after quarter time or half time? He seems totally incapable of generating any passion in them.

I doubt anyone could instil some passion into a group that is getting hammered at half-time in the last game of a shocking year. There was a large amount of 'let's get this over with' in yesterday's game.

A telling moment in the game came when we were stuffing around with the ball across the backline and the defensive wings with the usual culprits - Green, Bruce, White, Jones, Carroll, Wheatley, and Batram - just kicking it sideways waiting for someone to take the game on and one Simon Buckley dashes in between a few players and hits a target in the fwd line.

The telling moment was Matty Whelan giving him a little clap, as if to say "well done kid, that's the gameplan." He plays bold Simon Buckley.

The other players belie their arrogance off the field with their meekness on the field, and it's frustrating. The meek may inherent the earth, but they don't win footy games. Bailey has got instill some inner confidence to follow his bold gameplan of run and carry.

He wanted the players to take risks and he wanted them to kick it into the forward line. Clearly the players didn't listen and from watching the game on TV it was hard to see if there was a forward line to kick it to, but hearing that made my day along with watching the smooth mover, Jack Grimes.

Buckley listened.

:lol: Why am I laughing? :blink:

I truly believe that he is delivering a message and that the players are listening, but our team is full of either raw players or those who are finding old habits very hard to break. This season has been an absolute shocker and I'm glad it's over, but I'm still optimistic for the future.

I hope it is those finding old habits very hard to break. I am still optimistic too. We definitely need an injection of quality and speed around the stoppages.

The telling moment was Matty Whelan giving him a little clap, as if to say "well done kid, that's the gameplan." He plays bold Simon Buckley.

Yep. Over Pre-Season, they should each be put through examples of what is required. Many may not have the speed and skills to do it, but they must look at examples of the likes of Buckley, Peter & Shaun Burgoyne, Jason Gram, Ryan Griffen, Tagh Kennelly, Mark Murphy, Robert Murphy, to name a few.

Bailey has got instill some inner confidence to follow his bold gameplan of run and carry.

BINGO!

Bailey has got instill some inner confidence to follow his bold gameplan of run and carry.

You just don't get it. It takes players of rare quality to make the run and carry gameplan successful, and even then as we've seen with Pt. Adelaide, it can go horribly wrong.

West Coast (Judd, Cousins, Kerr) - how are they going without these 3?

Geelong (Ablett, Bartel, Selwood, Chapman) - can't see anyone of that ilk on our list.

Pt. Adelaide (Burgoynes, Cornes) - refer above.

You just don't get it. It takes players of rare quality to make the run and carry gameplan successful, and even then as we've seen with Pt. Adelaide, it can go horribly wrong.

Geelong (Ablett, Bartel, Selwood, Chapman) - can't see anyone of that ilk on our list.

So champ what game plan will suit an inexperienced, raw, slow, low skill team with little leadership, no "A" class players with poor disposal skills? I am still waiting for your alternative.

The issue is you need star players to play any legitimate winning game plan. We dont have them period. Such players have to be drafted, developed and educated. This is what is happening now. However, such a process of educating younger players is being done in the backdrop of lack of experienced leaders and class players coupled with a disstablising period for the Club off field

The issue is you need star players to play any legitimate winning game plan. We dont have them period. Such players have to be drafted, developed and educated. This is what is happening now. However, such a process of educating younger players is being done in the backdrop of lack of experienced leaders and class players coupled with a disstablising period for the Club off field

A valid point RR. As has been the case for many years, there are no A grade players at Melbourne. But I would at least like to see what resembles a winning game plan being played out by our team. Of course they'd stuff it up plenty, but it would be better than what we tried to do this year.

Rare quality?!

You give Brent Guerra too much credit. He is awful, but plays a role in the Clarkson gameplan and looks like a world beater.

Don't give me this defeatist attitude that we cannot play this way because we don't have the talent. We should aim to play this way and mould our personnel around it.

A valid point RR. As has been the case for many years, there are no A grade players at Melbourne. But I would at least like to see what resembles a winning game plan being played out by our team. Of course they'd stuff it up plenty, but it would be better than what we tried to do this year.

I can't even tell what the game plan is - looks lie "ring-a-ring-a-rosie" to me - what's wrong with attacking quickly and in a straight line..aaaarrggggghh

Don't give me this defeatist attitude that we cannot play this way because we don't have the talent. We should aim to play this way and mould our personnel around it.

I posted this in the other thread about DB.

Our midfield in not currently capable of carrying out a decent game plan. We are unable to sustain decent pressure with attack, not smart enough and have no confidence. We also have a lack of forward targets.

But just because we are not capable of carrying out this game plan doesn't mean he should change it. That would would be conceding. Ie we aren't good enough to work to plan A so we will work to plan B.

What you want your players to do is IMPROVE enough to follow the game plan not compromise it down to your players' ability level.

Just because we aren't capable of executing the game plan atm doesn't mean we never will. DB knows what he is doing.

Only time will tell if it will work and if the coaching staff are able to get thier troops to follow the orders and if the troops have the ability and mental strength to carry them out.

The first part of the game plan might be to go in and get the ball followed by doing something positive with it once you get it!!! I only saw yesterday's game on TV but the number of times we stuffed around trying to get our hands on the pill only to be shown how to do it by Richmond of all teams made me want to throw things at the tele. Every team we play these days gives the impression that they actually have a structure around stoppages so that when they get their hands on the ball they know what to do with it. Our guys look completely the opposite - when they do get their hands on it, it is a raffle to see if they can clear it effectively. The only part of our team that looks like they have some idea at this is the backline - probably because they have been getting so much practice.

The positive thing about this problem is that it is something that can be fixed with practice and planning assuming that is that it is recognised in the first place.

Every team we play these days gives the impression that they actually have a structure around stoppages so that when they get their hands on the ball they know what to do with it. Our guys look completely the opposite

I think it's more about poor execution - we certainly have plans. The obvious one that comes to mind for me is where we sit a guy off the pack 5-10 metres defensive side of the contest, win the ball and handball behind to that player. I remember them practicing it out in the middle of TD when I was early to the Richmond v Melb game.

I think it's more about poor execution - we certainly have plans. The obvious one that comes to mind for me is where we sit a guy off the pack 5-10 metres defensive side of the contest, win the ball and handball behind to that player. I remember them practicing it out in the middle of TD when I was early to the Richmond v Melb game.

I think you'l find most teams employ this tactic at stoppages, Geelong did it all night against us when they flogged us. Problem is, we don't have enough ball winners at the stoppages at the moment.

Brock is our best clearance player, so we have been hurt by his absence.

JMac seems to have games when he dominates the clearances, and others where he is invisible.

Jones is often found at the bottom of packs, but rarely gets out fast effective handballs like a Black or Mitchell.

Bruce is never going to win much of the hardball around the stoppages.

I actually thought we seemed a bit better in the clearances when Valenti was playing, but have not checked the stats to confirm this.

It doesn't paint the greatest picture for us, but with Brock playing we are automatically better and it is definitely an area we need to draft well in. Rich would have been ideal, but as highly touted key forwards don't come along very often, we will hopefully uncover a "clearance king" later in the draft, or get lucky with someone already on our list developing into one.