Paul Johnson

rusty_corner

There's one flaw in PJ's game that really prevents him from being an elite ruckman of the competition:

He utterly stinks in the ruck.

He's getting a little better, but he's no Jamar :wacko:

The stats say: Has the best hitout-to-advantage of any of the Demons' three ruckmen.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/articles/2008/...259.html?page=3

Another myth busted.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And they would kick it to who?

The forward line. Anyone with two arms can mark a ball put to advantage. It takes skill to tap a ball to advantage. It takes skill to read where the ball is going to to be tapped to. GET RICH OR DIE TRYING!

unfortunately he only averages 9 hit outs per game.

i rate PJ. he is a big man, with a big heart. and IMHO, if I had an mfc player kicking for my life I would be hard pressed to overlook him.

unfortunately i'm not sure where his ultimate position is at afl level. he needs to learn to ruck better. and by that i mean he needs to learn to nullify opposition ruckmen in the ruck, and his seond efforts around the ball up need to be better. he needs to create space for the mids.

i would also like to see him learn to play as a leading forward but i am not sure he will ever do this effectively for large periods of time.

13 possessions around the ground is better than he has in the past, but given he isnt dominant on the scoreboard or in the ruck he needs to get 20. i love his passing by foot, and his delivery into the 50 is first rate. 3 scoring assists yesterday.

To all those who said Paul Johnson was no good, should be de-listed etc etc have a look at the guy now, he's a star!

Yesterday he was definately up in Melbourne's best and gets better and better each week. He has a good kick on him and his shots at goal are getting better too. He also has great versatility, while he is shining at full forward he can also help us out in the ruck.

I have always been a big fan of Johnson's and knew he had it in him to be outstanding, he just seemed hampered by injury.

Well done PJ :lol:

Am I the only one who thinks PJ looks a little like Johnny Depp? Maybe I'm crazy.

Johnny Depp..........maybe the latter

To all those who said Paul Johnson was no good, should be de-listed etc etc have a look at the guy now, he's a star!

Yesterday he was definately up in Melbourne's best and gets better and better each week. He has a good kick on him and his shots at goal are getting better too. He also has great versatility, while he is shining at full forward he can also help us out in the ruck.

I have always been a big fan of Johnson's and knew he had it in him to be outstanding, he just seemed hampered by injury.

Well done PJ :lol:

Why do you reckon I use my alias "High Tower" (PJ's knick name), he's a beauty and continues to improve.

i rate PJ. he is a big man, with a big heart. and IMHO, if I had an mfc player kicking for my life I would be hard pressed to overlook him.

unfortunately i'm not sure where his ultimate position is at afl level. he needs to learn to ruck better. and by that i mean he needs to learn to nullify opposition ruckmen in the ruck, and his seond efforts around the ball up need to be better. he needs to create space for the mids.

i would also like to see him learn to play as a leading forward but i am not sure he will ever do this effectively for large periods of time.

13 possessions around the ground is better than he has in the past, but given he isnt dominant on the scoreboard or in the ruck he needs to get 20. i love his passing by foot, and his delivery into the 50 is first rate. 3 scoring assists yesterday.

I think the forward line may be his go, and having stints in the ruck around the ground.

He's a liability in the ruck. It's a real pity.

Incorrect. He hits to advantage better than alot of other ruckmen going around.

PJ's a good player, but not a terribly good ruckman. First off, being second to Jamar says something about his ruck ability. Secondly, he doesn't get enough hitouts. However, he definitely makes up for it by hard running, never giving up, and some actually half-decent skills. Like his goal.

He'll be a cult hero in a few years. Maybe not with the talent of some of the best forwards and Ruckmen around, but it is hard to dislike the big guy.

Incidently I saw him at Safeway a few weeks ago and didn't think he looked all that tall. Maybe because he hunches a bit.

Incorrect. He hits to advantage better than alot of other ruckmen going around.

In general rucking duties he holds his own and is able to at the very least break even, but in the centre circle bounce he gets beaten most times. It's a limitation but not the end of the world and he looks a really capable player for the future.

Sensational prospect who gives 100% and gets better every week, much to look forward to given White is at the end of his career.

If we can prize Robbie Warnock from Freo at pick 1 in the PSD then we have a very capable ruck division to build a strong midfield on

he needs to learn to ruck better.

Hate to nit-pick, but he actually averages 11.4 hitouts per game in the ruck this season, from 11 matches (of 13) playing as 'relief ruckman'. That's above average for most #2 rucks in the league. He is also leading our hitouts-to-advantage this season, as was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Remember, in the other 2 games, against Adelaide (R8, he played FB on Tippett) and Sydney (R13, played FF/CHF) he played as a full-time KPP, not contesting in the ruck at all.

Hate to nit-pick, but he actually averages 11.4 hitouts per game in the ruck this season, from 11 matches (of 13) playing as 'relief ruckman'. That's above average for most #2 rucks in the league. He is also leading our hitouts-to-advantage this season, as was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Remember, in the other 2 games, against Adelaide (R8, he played FB on Tippett) and Sydney (R13, played FF/CHF) he played as a full-time KPP, not contesting in the ruck at all.

im not sure where you got the 11.4 from. i took the 9 hitouts from the article that was posted and that i was replying too. but the ball park stands. even if he hits 20% to advatange or whatever it is, its only 2 per game. nothing amazing. he isnt a ruckman at the moment. he is a big oversized midfielder wit a lovely kick. he needs to get more ball, and he needs to have a more focused role ie kick goals or win the ruck. that being said, i rate him and think he will turn out ok.

im not sure where you got the 11.4 from. i took the 9 hitouts from the article that was posted and that i was replying too. but the ball park stands. even if he hits 20% to advatange or whatever it is, its only 2 per game. nothing amazing. he isnt a ruckman at the moment. he is a big oversized midfielder wit a lovely kick. he needs to get more ball, and he needs to have a more focused role ie kick goals or win the ruck. that being said, i rate him and think he will turn out ok.

The 11.4 average came from his total hitouts this year (125) divided by the number of games he has spent playing in the ruck (11). Simple mathematics.

Point taken anyway. I do agree there is still room for improvement from him in regard to his rucking, but was simply making the point that he is not as bad as he's made out to be in this respect. He is a ruckman. Admittedly not a great one, as u said is more of a big ruck-rover like a Stynes or White, but at this stage, his stats would suggest he has been at least adequate and is improving.

What doesn't flatter his stats either is the fact he hasn't ever been given a chance to play in the #1 role. But, say for instance if Jamar were to go down injured early against the Bombers this week, and PJ then had to ruck 90-95% game time on the ball rucking solo, IMO he would be able to hold his own or at least break even in ruck, and on the plus side, would probably get close to 30 touches and 20+ hitouts around the ground and a goal or two. It'll happen soon i think...

Would it be worth him playing a role similar to what Quinten Lynch played on the w/end?

Kinda rotating between on-ball (not ruck) and CHF/FF?

Wouldn't mind seeing him line up on a wing every so often, definitely provide a mismatch if he pushed forwards.

The way he's being used at the moment, he is basically already playing that role. I think if White were to return to the team, then there'd be a real possibility we could see PJ on the wing, Richo-style, but i dont rate White's chances of getting back in to be honest.

I'm just waiting for that day when PJ explodes at the 'G and kicks a bag goals and has a heap of possies and marks, and dominates Richo-style, whether on the wing, floating thru HF or playing in the ruck. He went really well last week, so he's getting closer, he just needs to back it up a few more times before i can come out and say 'i told you so...!' to all the early doubters... ;):lol:

Big test for both this week against Hille

Definitely. Hille's in career-best form, so their performance willl be a great indicator of where our guys are at.

Will be an enthralling battle, i'm looking forward to it!

Would it be worth him playing a role similar to what Quinten Lynch played on the w/end?

Kinda rotating between on-ball (not ruck) and CHF/FF?

Wouldn't mind seeing him line up on a wing every so often, definitely provide a mismatch if he pushed forwards

I really like this idea. He is mobile, quick enough and excellent at ground level and has good skills. It could help give or back men a target and get the ball past half forward which we have trouble doing.

Maybe even chuck him in the square at the bounces to crash through some blokes in the right conditions?? It may or may not work.

Definitely. Hille's in career-best form, so their performance will be a great indicator of where our guys are at.

Will be an enthralling battle, i'm looking forward to it!

Wonder if laycock is playing?

Going terrible atm and at his lowest value (zero?).

Wonder if laycock is playing?

Going terrible atm and at his lowest value (zero?).

I wonder. Essendon might feel its a good chance to give young Bellchambers another run against the lowly-Dee's.

For what it's worth, i don't rate Laycock at all, and i've got about 4 Essendon-supporter mates who agree with me completly. They prefer Jamar to Laycock ffs!

I wonder. Essendon might feel its a good chance to give young Bellchambers a run against the lowly-Dee's.

For what it's worth, i don't rate Laycock at all, and i've got about 4 Essendon-supporter mates who agree with me entirely. They prefer Jamar to Laycock ffs.

I know bumbre supporters who would agree and would probably trade him for a packet of twisties.

IMO I've seen him go alright as the main man but when Hille plays and LAycock has to play second role, He's worse then siht. We don't have a first ruck so he fills a need. (Or maybe I've just been unlucky and watched the few games he's actually played well and missed all the junk).

If the Warnock pitch fails, I'll give up pick 88 for JL.