West Coast will take Rich

The HuLK

Heard of Foxtel that West Coast are looking to take Rich to boost there midfield department. Being a ex player and close ties to the club I think Jako is right. Begs the question who do we take. I wanted Rich, because I believe you can never get enough of classy midfielders. But Watts is big and strong and Naitanui and Hurley are freaks!!! goodluck picking!!! gee i wish we didnt win that rd 22 game last year.

well were .4% in front of West Coast... farrkkk

Doesn't matter, there isn't a snow balls chance in hell that West Coast will win another match for the year, they'll finish bottom regardless.

I hope Jacko is right. I'm happy to have pick 2 and maintain our integrity, particularly if we pick Jack Watts who we may have taken ahead of Rich anyway.

Yes. Keep our integrity! I agree. West Coast for the spoon. They can have it and Rich. Hopefully the Dee's take Watt's. Both are going to be guns. But we cant have both. Dee's in desperate need for a strong big forward. And Watt's is it!

Guest unstable punt
well were .4% in front of West Coast... farrkkk

we'll beat them in rd 20 so its 2nd pick for us and l reckon we will go with Watts

This worries me. I'm deeply ensconced in the Watts camp, and looking at the ladder I was kind of glad that we might end up 14th, and still get him anyway... Freo don't need a top ruckman, so they'd take Rich as their midfield needs help. WC, I thought, might need a big backup for Cox who can go forward, and take Naita... Leaving Watts for us. But now that Rich might go to WC, I think Freo might end up taking Watts ahead of Naita...

In the end, we get a good player, I just really think we're in more dire need of Watts than anything at the moment.

In the end, we get a good player, I just really think we're in more dire need of Watts than anything at the moment.

I haven't seen them play, but I'd also lean toward Watts.

However, what makes you think that Freo are going to finish below us?

don't fret guys. Watts simply will not nominate if fremantle or west coast hint at picking him up with a #1 or #2 pick. Watts has pubicly stated that he wants to stay in Victoria, this alone will be enough to deter both freo and west coast from picking him up. Watts just has to 'look if you pick me up, i'll be back in victoria in 2 years once my contract expires'..too easy. whilst i dont want watts as rich is easily the superior player, it looks like watts is almost guaranteed to be a demon.

However, what makes you think that Freo are going to finish below us?

After the first quarter I thought this might happen... and there's still a slim chance it could.

I would say now that ONLY WC, Demons and Freo will be in line for picks 1-3... its just the order. Even with todays loss we still could possibly end up 14th. That's absolutely worst case scenario, and while it's highly unlikely, it's still worth considering.

Obviously the likelihood is our match in a couple of weeks against the Eagles will define 15th and 16th. I'd love us to miss the wooden spoon and still get Watts...

I'd love it if:

Freo - 18+ points.

Demons - 16 points.

WC - 8 points.

Then we get picks 2, 18 and 20.

But I think it'll end up being:

Freo - 16 points.

Demons - 12 points.

WC - 8 points.

Which means we get picks 2, 18 and 21.

So not a great difference there...

And just for good measure, if we lose to the Eagles, worst case scenario:

Freo - 16 points.

WC - 12 points.

Demons - 8 points.

In which case we get picks 1, 17 and 20.

So to sum up. It's one of these scenarios...

2, 18 and 20.

2, 18 and 21.

or

1, 17 and 20.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm not too fussed about any of these. The difference just isn't that extreme, and I'd take any of those if it meant we missed out on a wooden spoon.

This worries me. I'm deeply ensconced in the Watts camp, and looking at the ladder I was kind of glad that we might end up 14th, and still get him anyway... Freo don't need a top ruckman, so they'd take Rich as their midfield needs help. WC, I thought, might need a big backup for Cox who can go forward, and take Naita... Leaving Watts for us. But now that Rich might go to WC, I think Freo might end up taking Watts ahead of Naita...

Your very much on the money here Dappa.

Either way though, its a win-win situation.

Im happy with all three, even Ziebell and Hurley if need be.

the worry for everyone on demonland should be this...

if we pick up Watts, we are certainly picking up a player based on our dire need for a KPP and not on best available talent.

Because from what i've been hearing, Rich is the best midfielder to come out of a draft since 2001.

And Naitanui, though possibly a risk, could end up being the best playing to ever be drafted.

Even if he doesn't develop the way a club would like, he'll 1000% become the most athletic player ever drafted into the afl, and the best clearence player in the afl. his tackling and clearence ability at centre bounces is scary

if we pick up Watts, we are certainly picking up a player based on our dire need for a KPP and not on best available talent.

Interestingly, the MFC have stated they will be going for the best available talent not our direct needs.

gee i wish we didnt win that rd 22 game last year.

You can say that again!

We still may get the 1st pick after yesterdays results. You definitely would think 1st or 2nd pick now. Port winning has blown them out of priority pick calculations now. Fremantle should finish 3rd last now and they play Port next week at AAMI. West Coast still have to play Fremantle and Essendon at Subiaco (winnable games - but certainly not with their form). Then later Melbourne v West Coast at the G to decide the bottom 2 on the ladder.

Therefore either Watts or Rich. At worst the 3rd pick.

Because from what i've been hearing, Rich is the best midfielder to come out of a draft since 2001.

And Naitanui, though possibly a risk, could end up being the best playing to ever be drafted.

Even if he doesn't develop the way a club would like, he'll 1000% become the most athletic player ever drafted into the afl, and the best clearence player in the afl. his tackling and clearence ability at centre bounces is scary

You see, it seems to me that that's just looking at the glass half full. First of all, I'd love to see who rates Rich as the best since 2001. Sylvia was one of the most dominant players at junior level ever, and look what happened there. And the ONLY great positive NickNat has had over anyone else is his leap and athleticism. People plug it as though he's going to be the greatest player ever.

Look at the Hawks. They recruited for type before ratings as players, and as a consequence they got a couple of the only good KP forwards through about 3 years of drafting. Recruiting for type didn't work for us, but it worked for them... and then some.

You see, it seems to me that that's just looking at the glass half full. First of all, I'd love to see who rates Rich as the best since 2001. Sylvia was one of the most dominant players at junior level ever, and look what happened there. And the ONLY great positive NickNat has had over anyone else is his leap and athleticism. People plug it as though he's going to be the greatest player ever.

Look at the Hawks. They recruited for type before ratings as players, and as a consequence they got a couple of the only good KP forwards through about 3 years of drafting. Recruiting for type didn't work for us, but it worked for them... and then some.

some good points....

Much about recruiting is luck. Rich, Naitanui and Watts may all be equally rated now, but in 3 years, one of them may be miles ahead of the others.

a couple of years ago Richmond recruited Deledio and Tambling, while Hawthorn recruited Buddylove and Roughead.

Sure Deledio's gonna be great, but Hawthorn are CLEAR winners by a country mile and have set themselves up for the next 10 years.

Pre-draft noone would have guessed that this would be the case.

When we got our priority picks we got Mclean and Sylvia. in a different draft we couldv gotten 2 duds, while with some luck we couldv landed Buddy and Roughy.

i hope that luck falls our way this draft because whatever the result, all on demonland would agree that this draft will have a big say in determining our future for the next 5 years, espcially considering the new teams stealing all the picks in years to come.

Exactly Dappa, its all talk.

I'm tipping there wasn't much talk of Lance Franklin at the tigers before they went with Tambling! :lol:

Freo will beat WC in their Derby and we will beat WC over here and thats how it will end.

WC take Rich, We take Watt, Freo take Nat as warnock leaves the club.

I would have to agree that this is the most likely scenario. However I reckon there's a chance WC could beat us, but that wouldn't affect the choices in the draft.

Freo will beat WC in their Derby and we will beat WC over here and thats how it will end.

WC take Rich, We take Watt, Freo take Nat as warnock leaves the club.

That is definitely the way things look from here on July 21st. Footy is sometimes a funny game though. Stay tuned for more twists in the tail before the draft.

Not true - the geelong recruiting manager, who built their premiership team, was asked during the U18 champs who he would choose if he had the first draft pick and he didn't hesitate in saying Watts. Just because Rich is a better footballer NOW doesn't mean he is best available...maybe watts has more room for improvement, potential.

im 90% sure that Rich will be at least as good as Daniel Kerr and I think Watts is no chance of being a Riewoldt or Franklin or the star that we are after. While I would love to have a talented KP at melbourne, deep down I think everyone knows that Rich is the player that has to be taken. If Melbourne pick up Watts and he isnt a star, melbourne will be laughed at for many many years for claiming to 'take the best available' player.