MILLER TIME

My apologies if this thread has been done to death ( I have been out of action for a while and haven’t been able to post anything ) But I saw moments in yesterdays game, where Miller reminded me of a certain number 9 great. Presents all day long, and kicked 2 fantastic goals by stepping around his player. There is absolutely no question where his heart is. He is 100% demon. He never stops talking at training; he gives 100% each game. Personally, despite the lack of goals, we really need to persist with him. I can see a forward in him somewhere.

Thoughts?

Lets not annoint him just yet, but I thought he was pretty good.

It's great to see him kicking the ball, and looking comfortable doing so.

I hope he continues to play good football for the rest of the year.

Exactly he needs to take responsibility in the fact he is a forward and when within range put them through instead of passing.

Absolutely. That only comes from confidence, which only comes from game time. And I dare say he might have got a little bit of it on the weekend.

Will never be a star, but can be a solid contributer to the side for many years to come. He is important to our structure because he straightens us up, and even when he doesn't take the mark, he makes a good competitive effort out of it. And he has well and truly busted the myth that he can't kick (especially goals).

As I said in another thread, had Newton played the game Miller did yesterday, people would be blowing their load over it.

I just hope Miller can keep contributing on the scoreboard, and that will only happen if Bate pushes up the ground and allows Miller to stay inside 50. His goal from the boundary after he forced a holding the ball decision, was all class.

i was the biggest critic of miller and he has made me look like an idiot of late. he looks sharp, has fantastic hands, makes better decisions with the ball and his kicking has improved 100%. yes it is only a handful of games, but its the most promising and consistent spell for him ive seen. playing forward IS his only area to play. his talk and body language are probably the best in the club alongside brad green. keep up the good work miller because i like to see players trying their guts out and getting something out of it, its the best way to answer critics like me.

I nearly fell off my chair when he kicked a goal from outside 50 yesterday. I thought I was seeing things.

Get Juice down there with him, and Bailey will have some real talent to work with.

Bate Miller Davey

Sylvia Newton Wonemarri

he kicked two from 50 which i thought was insane.

i was a big miller fan early but have felt that he got lost and has let himself down at times. but watching him kick goals from outside 50 indicated that he has been working on aspects of his game.

i have said for a while now that if he is going to be a player he needs to damage opposition players on the scoreboard. i know that i would love for the opposition CHF to take 10 marks 70 meters out and not kick a goal. but when he can chip in with 3 he becomes dangerous.

im not sure he will ever be a player to kick big bags (5 or more) which means i think consistancy is the key for brad. if he can kick 2-3 every week without fail he will become an integral part of our set up.

big tall forwards need to kick goals and yesterday he showed he could.

unfortunately he has bagged 3 goals twice this year, kicked 10 goals for the season and not kicked any in 6 games. he is averaging .9 goals epr game. his best return per season so far, but unfortunately not good enough for a CHF. hopefully he can lift that to 2 or 3 in years to come.

I nearly fell off my chair when he kicked a goal from outside 50 yesterday. I thought I was seeing things.

Get Juice down there with him, and Bailey will have some real talent to work with.

Bate Miller Davey

Sylvia Newton Wonemarri

I'm salivating over that forward line. I love Miller - have always stood up for him - his attitude cannot be questioned. Personally, I think he is captaincy material.

he kicked two from 50 which i thought was insane.

i was a big miller fan early but have felt that he got lost and has let himself down at times. but watching him kick goals from outside 50 indicated that he has been working on aspects of his game.

i have said for a while now that if he is going to be a player he needs to damage opposition players on the scoreboard. i know that i would love for the opposition CHF to take 10 marks 70 meters out and not kick a goal. but when he can chip in with 3 he becomes dangerous.

im not sure he will ever be a player to kick big bags (5 or more) which means i think consistancy is the key for brad. if he can kick 2-3 every week without fail he will become an integral part of our set up.

big tall forwards need to kick goals and yesterday he showed he could.

unfortunately he has bagged 3 goals twice this year, kicked 10 goals for the season and not kicked any in 6 games. he is averaging .9 goals epr game. his best return per season so far, but unfortunately not good enough for a CHF. hopefully he can lift that to 2 or 3 in years to come.

If he could consistently kick 2 or 3 goals a game then he'd be a very handy forward to have...unfortunately that's a big if.

For the second time this year he has surprised me he actually looked like he wanted to kick goals on Sunday when it's usually the last thing he wants to do. If he keeps that up I may have to change my about him.

sylvia is a spud!

If Sylvia is a spud I hope we draft a few more of them this year.

Very happy with him this year.

I can honestly say I've never rubbished his kicking for goal, just with Robbo and Neita previously it was hard for him to push forward as there was no room.

Played very well I thought on the weekend and there is only more to come from Brad.

i was the biggest critic of miller and he has made me look like an idiot of late. he looks sharp, has fantastic hands, makes better decisions with the ball and his kicking has improved 100%. yes it is only a handful of games, but its the most promising and consistent spell for him ive seen. playing forward IS his only area to play. his talk and body language are probably the best in the club alongside brad green. keep up the good work miller because i like to see players trying their guts out and getting something out of it, its the best way to answer critics like me.

Im in the boat with you, i mite have traded him last year, just goes to show we cant judge anyone to quick, he is looking like his oldself of a few years ago

Isn't it amazing what happens when you let a player settle into their correct playing position?!

Well said DT. The bloke is a dead set forward, has been all along. Can`t for the life of me wonder why he was played down back for so long even whilst Neita n Robbo were in the team. Great to see him finding form. I too have been a critic but always knew the ability was still in him.

If Sylvia is a spud I hope we draft a few more of them this year.

the bloke is a top 3 draft pick. in the first half he got 3 possession playing forward! ffs the bloke just loves teasing us! the banana in pyjamas could have kicked that goal he missed right in front!! it was captured on national tv that he was too fuckin lazy to man up instead barking at others to man up when they all had a man! and dont give me oh he hasn't had a injury free pre season! coz the guy has all the tools to be a star but he just too darn lazy!

lift ya effin game colin!!! :angry: :angry:

miller>>> sylvia

still a long way to go, but there has been progress... there's no way he would've kicked those goals from 50 near the boundary like he did on sunday...

the way he kicked them actually did remind me of neita a bit, bending them back in toward goal... was great to watch...

this is a great example of Bailey and his team working on developing our players... something we haven't seen much of in the past...

I'm salivating over that forward line. I love Miller - have always stood up for him - his attitude cannot be questioned. Personally, I think he is captaincy material.

Me too re: the captaincy! Would like nothing more than to see him take the reigns either next year or year after. Whilst Green would be awesome, he doesn't talk the talk like we need a captain to do. Miller would be perfect IF he can keep up this form - he loves the red and blue so much, presents very well on and off the field ( ;) )and is developing into a very important player for our future. Like I said though, all will depend on whether he can maintain such great form.

Me too re: the captaincy! Would like nothing more than to see him take the reigns either next year or year after. Whilst Green would be awesome, he doesn't talk the talk like we need a captain to do. Miller would be perfect IF he can keep up this form - he loves the red and blue so much, presents very well on and off the field ( ;) )and is developing into a very important player for our future. Like I said though, all will depend on whether he can maintain such great form.

i said this in the bartram captaincy thread... your captain needs to be consistant, can't go missing... while brad has developed a lot this year, he's not up to captaining an AFL club yet... still doesn't impact games enough every week... he tries, but doesn't always have much effect... your captain can't be a key forward and average one goal a game...

neita was great as skipper, but one problem with him was that if we were in trouble he was stuck at full forward, would have to throw himself to centre half back to help his side out...

we need a midfielder to be our skipper next year... and it will be one of Brad Green or Brock McLean... I wanted Brad Green to be our skipper this season, but I'm all but certain it will be one of those two next season...

I understand exactly where you're coming from and tend to agree with most of what you're saying (about captains needing to be consistent, etc), but have to ask why you think we specifically need a midfielder as our skipper next year?

Miller is my second choice to Green by the way. The only thing holding me back from throwing my full support behind Green is the fact that his teammates clearly don't rate his leadership potential enough to put him in the leadership group this year but have done so with Miller. A skipper needs absolute full support from all players, which is why Neita was so successful. You could just tell everytime they ran out on the ground with Neita leading the way that he had their full attention and support. If Green is as quiet as I have heard he is, how can we expect him to give an inspirational address and rev up the boys at 3/4 time when we're down by 5 goals?! If only we could hypnotise him or something so he has the personality of say a Brock or a Brad Miller 'cos then I think we really would have a great captain.

I also wonder if Bailey will impose the same sorta voting-by-players system to select a leadership group for 2009 and from that, a captain.. do most clubs use this system?

And on Brock - I'm just not convinced yet that he is ready to take the reigns. Probably the only one here that isn't but so be it!