Selection v Sydney

Gouga

I SAY BRING IN VALENTI FOR DUNN GREAT PLAYER USALLY BUT ONLY GOT 7 POSSIES GIV HIM REST AT SANDY BRING IN THE YOUNG GUNN VALNETI WHO IS PLAYING AWESOME FOOTY AT SANDY

what was that? i couldn't quite hear you???

Dunn has been playing as a tagger and doing a reasonable job... Played on Foley yesterday and kept him to 16 posessions, which is below his regular output. Would be interesting to see how many of these were in the 2nd quarter burst they had... shouldn't be dropped and won't be dropped...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also think Frawley needs a week at Sandy. Morton has lost confidence, he needs to regain that confidence... at Sandy.

Valenti and Whelan to come back in.

Newton needs to play some good games before he comes back.

Give Sylvia another crack at FF.

Out: Morton, Yze, Bode

In: Buckley, Valenti, S Martin

Backs: C Bartram, Frawley, C Garland

Half backs: C Sylvia, M Warnock, S Buckley

Centres: C Johnson, C Bruce, P Wheatley

Half forwards: A Davey, M Bate, B Green

Forwards: S Martin, B Miller, A Wonaeamirri

Followers: J White, N Jones, B McLean

Interchange: L Dunn, P Johnson, J McDonald, S Valenti J Bode

Dno why people want Martin in already? He is not ready.

Pretty simple changes this week.

In: Newton, Whelan

Out: Yze, Bode/Frawley

Whelan Warnock Bartram

Wheatley Garland CJ

Davey Jones Green

Bate Miller Bruce

Sylvia Newton Wona

White Mclean Dunn

Morton, Jmac, PJ, Bode/Frawley

Warnock on Hall

Garland on Magic

Whelan on O'keefe (or Frawls if he plays)

Newton might be unlikely and it would be a large show of faith but we need a tall forward who can take a pack mark.

Dno why people want Martin in already? He is not ready.

Martin is very interesting and seems to be a long term lock for a KPB. He is not ready yet, but has done nothing to diminish his standing. I have been wondering how he would fit into the side with Warnock, Garland and Frawley who are/will be KPBs. I consider only Garland to have the capacity to play elsewhere, forward, maybe?

Despite DBs wishes, Newton has neither match fitness or form so I am not sure they will pick him. Does anyone actually know where his attitude is? Its a good bellwether for determining if we should pick him or not. After his last taste of AFL football I'd much prefer he demonstrated he is serious about playing AFL football by demonstrating he can do it at Sandy. No Sautner, no excuses now. I'd like to see him take the game on at Sandy first.

In: Martin, Valenti, Whelan

Out: Frawley, Bode, Dunn

Backs: C Bartram, M Warnock, M Whelan

Half backs: C Garland, S Martin, C Johnson

Centres: B Green, C Bruce, P Wheatley

Half forwards: A Davey, M Bate, A Wonaeamirri

Forwards: C Sylvia, B Miller, A Yze

Followers: J White, N Jones, B McLean

Interchange: C Morton, P Johnson, J McDonald, S Valenti

Dunn, Bode and Frawley have not shown enough IMO - Think its time to open the door for Martin to have his first crack - Baptism of fire against B Hall???

Valenti should never have been dropped, and Whelan's defensive pressure, run and sound decision making from Half Back has been missed.

Do you know who Dunn was on?

Despite DBs wishes, Newton has neither match fitness or form so I am not sure they will pick him. Does anyone actually know where his attitude is? Its a good bellwether for determining if we should pick him or not. After his last taste of AFL football I'd much prefer he demonstrated he is serious about playing AFL football by demonstrating he can do it at Sandy. No Sautner, no excuses now. I'd like to see him take the game on at Sandy first.

I actually agree, I jump the gun on this a bit because I constantly think he needs to see if he can do it at senior level while we have no Neitz and Robbo.

But im still getting used to life after them this season, he could easily play Sandy this week, prove he deserves it and still get 8 games at AFL level towards the end of the season.

I personally hope the best for Newton, because we kind of need him to deliver on at least some of his hype I think.

Martin is very interesting and seems to be a long term lock for a KPB. He is not ready yet, but has done nothing to diminish his standing. I have been wondering how he would fit into the side with Warnock, Garland and Frawley who are/will be KPBs. I consider only Garland to have the capacity to play elsewhere, forward, maybe?

Had a brief chat with Stef Martin at the QB function. He comes across as affable and very humble. See's himself as work-in-progress and is content to learn as much as he can as quickly as he can.

I think he fits in nicely to our plans going forward because:

1/ Height: He is tall enough to play on a monster KPF or resting ruckman.

2/ It means we have just one big man up going the spoil instead of 3, against the Saints we were putting on a smorgasboard for the likes of Milne and Schniederman.

3/ Allows other defenders to play a more attacking [rebounding role], both Garland & Frawley have pace.

4/ Flexibility: You can throw Martin forward and into the ruck.

Thats a pretty handy utility tall to have in the 22.

Still, work-in-progress and at the moment he seems more excited about seeing Jack Grimes play rather then fret over the "ifs & whens" of his own elevation to the senior side.

B: WHELAN, WARNOCK, MCDONALD

HB: BARTRAM, GARLAND, WHEATLEY

C: DAVEY, MCLEAN, DUNN

HF: BATE, MILLER, GREEN

F: P.JOHNSON, SYLVIA, WONAEAMIRRI

FOLL: WHITE, BRUCE, JONES

IC: C.JOHNSON, BODE, FRAWLEY, YZE

EMERG: MORTON, JAMAR, BELL

Matchups

Dunn V Goodes

Bartram\McDonald v Kirk

Warnock V O'Loughlin

Garland V Hall

In: Valenti, Whelan and Carrol (to take Hall, Garland and Warnock are to raw and small for the guerilla)

Out: Yze, Bode and Morton (needs a rest)

In: Valenti & Bell

Out:Yze & Bode

Whats happened to Belly, he was good last year our replacement for Whelan IMO, need him back and firing

Whats happened to Belly, he was good last year our replacement for Whelan IMO, need him back and firing

He hasn't been in the greatest form lately, and since he was only dropped back to Sandy this week (after being omitted, and then recalled due to a late pull-out, twice), I don't think he'll come straight back in.

Good question Redleg.

I dont think Phil was paying much attention.

Phil's own Fury was always a distraction.....

Pretty sure Dunn was on Foley for atleast part of the match and I agree with other posters that he has done some solid stopping jobs this year. However, IMO tagging is not entirly about stopping a player, it is also about exposing them via attacking football Ie. Cameron Ling. Dunn is yet to really impact in an attacking manner while tagging - Even Bartram's early games as a tagger were more accomplished.

I am all for seeing the new kids get a couple of games under the belt this year - Its all about Pre pre season for 2009.

In: Valenti & Bell

Out:Yze & Bode

Bell, firing this season? No.

Bell, complete dud with no awareness this season? Yes.

No way in hell does he deserve a call up.

Whelan before Bell everyday of the week.

Bell, firing this season? No.

Bell, complete dud with no awareness this season? Yes.

No way in hell does he deserve a call up.

Whelan before Bell everyday of the week.

Well I would say this week Whelan before Bell, but if Whelan doesn't give the team anything I would be tempted to put Bell back in (only if we needed a player like him) because he has shown he has ability and he has the benefit of age over Whelan. But yes, Bell's having a poor season.

Guest unstable punt
I also think Frawley needs a week at Sandy. Morton has lost confidence, he needs to regain that confidence... at Sandy.

Valenti and Whelan to come back in.

Newton needs to play some good games before he comes back.

Give Sylvia another crack at FF.

Sylvia is starting to show a bit but he needs to put a full game together, leave him in the middle

Pretty sure Dunn was on Foley for atleast part of the match and I agree with other posters that he has done some solid stopping jobs this year. However, IMO tagging is not entirly about stopping a player, it is also about exposing them via attacking football Ie. Cameron Ling. Dunn is yet to really impact in an attacking manner while tagging

If he had played a reasonable amount of games in this role I'd be concerned but how many has it been, 3 or 4? Yes, he needs to learn to be more attacking while he's tagging, that's exactly what he's doing in the side - learning - as long as he's doing a reasonable job shutting down his man I'm happy to give him the best part of the season to learn that, he's certaintly not going to develop into a Cameron Ling in a couple of months.

If he had played a reasonable amount of games in this role I'd be concerned but how many has it been, 3 or 4? Yes, he needs to learn to be more attacking while he's tagging, that's exactly what he's doing in the side - learning - as long as he's doing a reasonable job shutting down his man I'm happy to give him the best part of the season to learn that, he's certaintly not going to develop into a Cameron Ling in a couple of months.

Dunn now has more than 30 games under belt - Had no idea it was that many.

And I hope he has been tagging all year - He has not had more than 14 touches in the 8 matches he has played this year.

He also was a tagger in several games in 2007.

I realise Dunn is only now in his 3rd Season, and still only 21, and that he has also still got plenty of developing ahead of him, but as what?

IMO i dont believe he has shown enough as anything yet, perhaps it is a result of his role changing every week, but to me he often looks lost - Was I under a false allusion that he was touted as a future Forward KPP? Did he really go as Pick 15 in the draft?

In my mind, it is vital we get games into the next wave of youngsters this year eg. Martin (note Martin is actually 6 months older than Dunn), Maric, Grimes, and Zomer - Lets see what they have to offer!!!!

Dunn now has more than 30 games under belt - Had no idea it was that many.

And I hope he has been tagging all year - He has not had more than 14 touches in the 8 matches he has played this year.

He also was a tagger in several games in 2007.

I realise Dunn is only now in his 3rd Season, and still only 21, and that he has also still got plenty of developing ahead of him, but as what?

IMO i dont believe he has shown enough as anything yet, perhaps it is a result of his role changing every week, but to me he often looks lost - Was I under a false allusion that he was touted as a future Forward KPP? Did he really go as Pick 15 in the draft?

In my mind, it is vital we get games into the next wave of youngsters this year eg. Martin (note Martin is actually 6 months older than Dunn), Maric, Grimes, and Zomer - Lets see what they have to offer!!!!

Bailey retained players on the list for a reason, he sees potential in them. So Dunn played in a few 50-100+ losses earlier in the year and didnt get more than 14 possies, big woop, neither did half the rest of the team, including many senior players. In these games he played some run with roles, some time down forward, some time in the middle - he didnt have a focus. Bailey identified this and that he was struggling, he was sent back to Sandy to work on certain aspects of his game and he's been brought in to play a specific tagging role since then and he has had success each time. Now you're saying its too late for that? Lets ditch him cause he's supposed to be a forward not a tagger, regardless of whether he's showing potential at it?

The players you've named have plenty of time to show what they've got, Martin's in his second season of football EVER, he has plenty to learn. Maric's tiny and doing his VCE and the MFC have said he'll have limited game time in AFL this year. Grimes has zero match practice. Maybe we'll see him in the last 4 rounds, after he's had a month at Sandy. Whose Zomer? The guy from the Sandy 2s that isnt even on our senior list? Why would he get a game?

In the meantime, lets see what blokes like Dunn, Bode, Johnson, Newton, Valenti & Buckley have got, experiment with playing them in different roles if need be and let them prove their worth so we can make a call on them at years end.

Bailey retained players on the list for a reason, he sees potential in them. So Dunn played in a few 50-100+ losses earlier in the year and didnt get more than 14 possies, big woop, neither did half the rest of the team, including many senior players. In these games he played some run with roles, some time down forward, some time in the middle - he didnt have a focus. Bailey identified this and that he was struggling, he was sent back to Sandy to work on certain aspects of his game and he's been brought in to play a specific tagging role since then and he has had success each time. Now you're saying its too late for that? Lets ditch him cause he's supposed to be a forward not a tagger, regardless of whether he's showing potential at it?

The players you've named have plenty of time to show what they've got, Martin's in his second season of football EVER, he has plenty to learn. Maric's tiny and doing his VCE and the MFC have said he'll have limited game time in AFL this year. Grimes has zero match practice. Maybe we'll see him in the last 4 rounds, after he's had a month at Sandy. Whose Zomer? The guy from the Sandy 2s that isnt even on our senior list? Why would he get a game?

In the meantime, lets see what blokes like Dunn, Bode, Johnson, Newton, Valenti & Buckley have got, experiment with playing them in different roles if need be and let them prove their worth so we can make a call on them at years end.

Never suggested we should drop Dunn from the list - Suggested omitting him for this week (along with others) to make way for Martin as a match-up on Hall.

I agree it is important to get more games into Dunn also, but I see it as less of a priority developing a tagger as opposed to a KPP.

How would I find which purpose built current day tagger went as the highest draft pick?

I agree it is important to get more games into Dunn also, but I see it as less of a priority developing a tagger as opposed to a KPP.

How would I find which purpose built current day tagger went as the highest draft pick?

Dunn's never going to be a KPP. Firstly because it's a waste of his huge engine, and secondly because he just isn't that type of player.

Yes he was recruited as a KPP and not a tagger, but I think it's abundantly clear that he's not going to be a KPP now. I'd say the recruiting team / CAC got his "type" wrong as they did with Sylvia. It happens. If he turned out to be a first rate tagger -- or better yet a tagger that can be damaging when attacking -- then I'd still be very, very happy. It's better than turning out to be a complete lemon like some of our other previous first round picks.