Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

Their spinners wouldn't ordinarily be suited to our tracks but Ojha & Ashwin are both tallish spinners and might get a bit of bounce like Lyon does on our tracks and ... they've got a young batting line-up as opposed to the aging batting line-up that was here last time.

We should win but I'm not sure we'll have it all our own way like we did the last time they were here. A lot will depend on how they handle Johnson and if Johnson continues on his great form ... I'd ideally like to see Harris back and firing too. A 3-1 series win beckons though, if we're on our game.

Marsh deserves a go after his debut ... Maddinson or Silk might come in and bat at no.3 but it will probably be Hughes. I'm tipping there will be one surprise selection for the 1st test and also, Haddin will need to prove his fitness - I hope he comes up.

My possible eleven for Brisbane ...

Rogers

Warner

Maddinson or Hughes

Clarke

Smith

Marsh (Mitch)

Haddin

Johnson

Stark or Siddle

Harris

Lyon

I was meaning to say our fast bowlers would thrive here, and I think they will. India's most recent Test series was in England and they were absolutely humiliated against the pace bowling from the English. Their younger batsmen all struggled - Vijay, Pujara and most of all, Kohli. Dhoni was the only one able to score runs.

You'd expect them to have worked on it to an extent but they were as bad there as we were in Pakistan.

Not sure if Maddinson has the form to warrant selection, but then again Maxwell didn't. If Haddin's not right who takes his spot? Wade? Paine? I'd be going for Paine.

I was meaning to say our fast bowlers would thrive here, and I think they will. India's most recent Test series was in England and they were absolutely humiliated against the pace bowling from the English. Their younger batsmen all struggled - Vijay, Pujara and most of all, Kohli. Dhoni was the only one able to score runs.

You'd expect them to have worked on it to an extent but they were as bad there as we were in Pakistan.

Not sure if Maddinson has the form to warrant selection, but then again Maxwell didn't. If Haddin's not right who takes his spot? Wade? Paine? I'd be going for Paine.

I like the idea of continually looking to improve the team with young talent - and that young talent doesn't necessarily need to be "beating the door down" to get into the team - for instance, picking Mitch Marsh is a step in the right direction in my opinion. We're not talking 18 year old rookies like we are in the AFL but 21-23 year old shield players who show something. Most of out players who ended up being top players were picked from relative obscurity. The history books tell us that - Border, S Waugh, Hayden, Langer, Martyn and many others hadn't really done much at shield level before getting the call up.

Maddinson has previously shown a bit of promise and I like the look of him. Burns and Silk are another 2 top order players who have shown something. As much as Rogers* has done quite well, I would never have picked him when the selectors did so. Hughes has been found wanting previously because he doesn't have an all round game (strong through point but not strong with his other shots) I'd be looking for new blood and over the decades, the selectors have normally taken that path with fruitful results. That doesn't mean that Hughes won't make a success of himself if he gets another chance - it simply means I'd be looking elsewhere for the time being.

*I've picked Rogers for the Brisbane Test because that's what I believe the selectors will do - my whole team is based on what I think "they" will do. If it was me picking the team I wouldn't be finding room for Rogers, Hughes or even Lyon. Replacing Haddin if he's injured is another tricky one - Wade & Paine may not be the next choices in the selectors eyes - again, the selectors might decide to pick someone else if Haddin doesn't come up - Hartley or Nevill might get a chance.

One thing we do know is that the selectors normally spring a surprise or 2. Rogers himself was a surprise selection for the 2013 ashes campaign in England ... however, the biggest concern I have is the fitness & health of our fast bowlers. I like the idea of having a full squad to choose from.

Maxwell was another surprise selection - he, like Mitchell Marsh & Watson should be vying for the one spot - the no.6 all rounders spot. Not sure there's room for 2 of these type of players in the test side unless both are exceptionally good. It's one of the reasons that I've picked Marsh over Watson. If both play then where do both bat if Clarke & Smith occupy the no.4 & no.5 spots?

Considering that Hughes was in the squad I would have played him in the 2nd test against Pakistan instead of playing Maxwell - Maxwell is at best a no.6 and we already had Marsh batting in the no.6 spot (Maxwell didn't play in the first test whilst Marsh did)

Maxwell batting in the 3 spot was quite a surprise. Again, the selectors will continue to make surprise moves and those moves don't always make a lot of sense. What many may not know is that the captain picks the batting order but what else was Clarke to do when considering the team he was handed?

Hughes was next cab off the rank and he should have played if Doolan was going to be dropped. Horses for courses. Again, I would have taken another young top order player on the tour and blooded him if need be.

Edited by Macca

A few observations

Clarke's captaincy and batting were woeful

Lyon is not a spinners bootlace, , if you cannot get wickets on turners what is the use of you Discard have never thought he was much chop!

Maxwell has played his one and only test disgraceful dismissal in the second innings . Park Cricketer at best

Haddin career over time to find another

O Keefe I don't think is up to it !

Starc also abysmal selection

Time to build your team around Smith, Warner, Johnson, Piddle ( possibly) Agar, Wade( possibly) Rogers is good on fast decks and the rest are a toss up.

Not sure I would want the injury prone Watson back !

Time for an overhaul!

A few observations

Lyon is not a spinners bootlace, , if you cannot get wickets on turners what is the use of you Discard have never thought he was much chop!

Maxwell has played his one and only test disgraceful dismissal in the second innings . Park Cricketer at best

Time to build your team around Smith, Warner, Johnson, Piddle ( possibly) Agar, Wade( possibly) Rogers is good on fast decks and the rest are a toss up.

Time for an overhaul!

Be careful potting clarke in here{hes loved}have made similar comments and he is loved by press.

okeefe i wrote about also=looked B grade like with his bowling.

Agar=Lyon presents more tight bowling and experience

starc=actually thought he was the pick of the bowlers in this test,always gave himself a chance.

Discipline once gain has been terrible,But supporters always make excuses for boofs decisions.Johnson,Maxwell,warner{yes i know he made some runs}and other bats played unbelievably bad shots to get out and there is no excuse for it.Either we have a discipline problem or a coaching problem.

Maxwell was another surprise selection - he, like Mitchell Marsh & Watson should be vying for the one spot - the no.6 all rounders spot. Not sure there's room for 2 of these type of players in the test side unless both are exceptionally good. It's one of the reasons that I've picked Marsh over Watson. If both play then where do both bat if Clarke & Smith occupy the no.4 & no.5 spots?

Considering that Hughes was in the squad I would have played him in the 2nd test against Pakistan instead of playing Maxwell - Maxwell is at best a no.6 and we already had Marsh batting in the no.6 spot (Maxwell didn't play in the first test whilst Marsh did)

Maxwell batting in the 3 spot was quite a surprise. Again, the selectors will continue to make surprise moves and those moves don't always make a lot of sense. What many may not know is that the captain picks the batting order but what else was Clarke to do when considering the team he was handed?

Hughes was next cab off the rank and he should have played if Doolan was going to be dropped. Horses for courses. Again, I would have taken another young top order player on the tour and blooded him if need be.

I see Boof is suggesting that Marsh and Watson could both play.

I would prefer to see Watson at three in preference to Doolan leaving Marsh at 6 as he has a future imo.

• Like 1

I would prefer to see Watson at three in preference to Doolan leaving Marsh at 6 as he has a future imo.

Not for me, Smithy.

Watson is a no.6 - we can and should be giving a young player a chance at the top of the order ... I hear what people keep saying about "knocking the door down" but history tells us that nearly all our best batsmen were never knocking the door down when they were given their opportunity. Also, many players actually get better at a higher level. Especially the young ones.

Our method of structuring our side has been a tried and tested one and it works - I see no reason to deviate away from how it's all been done in the past - it's one of the main reasons why we've been the best performed nation over time.

Smith is an example of how it all works - he was first picked when he had just turned 21 years old - he certainly hadn't been setting the world on fire before his debut and in fact looked out of sorts at the next level. He subsequently got dropped but fought his way back into the side and now he might even be our next captain.

• Like 1

He has played 3 tests and none of them suggest that he is more than an 20/20 Wizz-Fizz cricketer.

His selection was baffling and his batting at 3 was ridiculous.

If you want to have an allrounder at 6 then i would play Watson if fit and in form.

Not sure if Marsh is just a 10km slower version of Siddle who looked like he could not blow a candle out on a windy day. Good batting effort from Marsh.

Lyon is a conundrum. Should be better in those conditions but was picked off too easily.

We took one bowler in Johnson and thought we could trick our way through. Just dumb.

Cant understand the consternation of Warner. Fought a lone hand at the top of the order without support but still average over 50. Deserves respect.

Rogers does not burn his tickets yet on one poor short tour and with no ready replacement (Hughes against spin ....puleezze).

Not a great series for Clarke and this will give some joy to his detractors who have had to consume a terrible amount of humble pie in the past twelve months.

The Indian series would be a good time to transition the gloves to the next generation from Haddin who has been a wonderful servant and fighter for Australia.

A few observations

Time for an overhaul!

clark is a capitarn, field positions, bowling changes OK mostly..... but He's no Leader... this is the issue with our team IMO. the cubs are following the dots on the field dropped from our leopard capitarn.

the quicker they remove him from captain, to maybe VC? the better.

we need to find Leaders with true grit & real love for the baggy green, & team orientation first & last. we have not had a great leader since Steve Waugh... Border - Taylor - SWaugh - ????????

clark is a capitarn, field positions, bowling changes OK mostly..... but He's no Leader... this is the issue with our team IMO. the cubs are following the dots on the field dropped from our leopard capitarn.

the quicker they remove him from captain, to maybe VC? the better.

we need to find Leaders with true grit & real love for the baggy green, & team orientation first & last. we have not had a great leader since Steve Waugh... Border - Taylor - SWaugh - ????????

Been rumoured before that MC does not enjoy the full support of the entire group.

Past incidents with Katich, Symonds, Watson and Hussey have not helped his cause.

Great batsman yes, leader maybe not.

• Like 2

So Lyon has got to take some blame for his failure to turn games in these conditions.

And the batsmen.

why cant we build a leggie in the AiS?

because its an art.

Been rumoured before that MC does not enjoy the full support of the entire group.

Past incidents with Katich, Symonds, Watson and Hussey have not helped his cause.

I suspect this is the issue, that the players are trying to follow someone they're not really in full admiration of. Obviously they respect his skills batting against spin, but maybe it doesn't go far past this.

I think we are spiritually rudderless, apart from the off field cricket dept'. because it appears we are playing that way. when we go well, its on the back of individuals performances which I put down to Boof's input. Lyons, MJohnston, SSmith,

When we show real grit as a team, when our backs are up against it, then I'll know that things are well.

So Lyon has got to take some blame for his failure to turn games in these conditions.

And the batsmen.

why cant we build a leggie in the AiS?

because its an art.

gee Boyce looked good last night. an exciting prospect. hope he can go on with it. Warnie came back in to the fold in good time.

Not a fan of the 20/20 however will take a series win over the Proteas with a Victorian getting the job done.

Well done Cam White, composed under pressure.

Have Shield games always been 4 dayers and if so why?

Why not make them 5 days?

There are new rules this year that reward a team for getting 5, 7 or 9 wickets in the first 100 overs. Or for making >200 runs in the first 100 overs of the first innings for either side

Just crazy. We need a number 3 batsmen and we don't need an attacking one. We can have Rahul Dravid. We can have whichever style as long as they can average 45 and perform in a variety of conditions.

We have 1, 2, 4, 5 and options for 6. We have a keeper. We have and always will have some decent quicks.

We need a spinner and a number 3. Asking teams to bat quicker or take more wickets in the first innings of shield games does nothing for the development of either of those positions.

.... wait for it

Steve Smith: I was sledging not chatting to Pakistan batsman

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/cricket/steve-smith-i-was-sledging-not-chatting-to-pakistan-batsman-20141110-11jy4s.html

Australian batsman Steve Smith says his captain Michael Clarke may have misinterpreted his conversation with Pakistan batsman Azhar Ali during the second Test in Abu Dhabi as friendly chit chat.

But in reality, he was having a good old fashioned Australian sledge.

Early in Parkistan's first innings, Clarke was clearly unimpressed with Smith, who was fielding close to the pitch and Azhar, and engaging in discussions with the opposition's number 3 batsman. The Australian captain gave Smith a rocket and reportedly told him that Azhar's friends were upstairs in the Pakistan changerooms and not down on the field. Azhar was on 14 at the time and went on to score 109 (which he followed up with 100 in the second innings) in Pakistan's 356-run demolition of Australia.

Pakistan had earlier won the First Test just as comfortably, by 221 runs.

Arriving in Perth on Monday to prepare for Australia's two one-day internationals against South Africa at the WACA Ground starting on Friday, Smith appeared to be surprised to have caught the ire of his skipper.

"Yeah I'm not sure what happened there. I was actually getting into him," Smith said. "So it wasn't what I expected, but that happens I guess."

When asked if Clarke had misinterpreted the conversation that was taking place, Smith said: "I think that's how it was," and suggested that talking to opposition batsmen in a productive manner would continue.

"We like to play good, hard, tough, aggressive cricket when we're out in the field," he said. "That's the way we like to play, so we'll continue to do that."

Australia is currently ranked number three in the ODI arena on 114 points, behind South Africa (115) and India (116).

As well as trying to recapture the top ranking, the Aussies are also looking for a positive start to its preparation for the World Cup, which it is hosting, starting February 14. They will play the Proteas at the WACA on Friday and again on Sunday before playing one game each in Canberra, Melbourne and Sydney.

The First Test against India then starts at the Gabba on December 4.

Smith says time is running out for players to cement their spots for the World Cup.

"I think it's (a) pretty important (series)," he said. "I think they are trying, obviously, to get the team that they will be playing in the World Cup and there's not too many games before then. "There's plenty of work to do and all of the boys are trying to get a spot in the team. "We're very excited to be back in Australia and I guess playing on wickets that we're accustomed to.

It's going to be nice to get out there and bat on something with a bit of bounce and pace on it.

"I was pretty happy with the way I batted in the one-dayers in the UAE. Hopefully I can carry on my form in this form of the game and keep trying to get as many runs as I can and putting my case forward as much as I can as well."

While Australia looked every part a fish out of water in the two-Test series in the UAE, Smith doesn't think South Africa will have the same issues adjusting to conditions in their upcoming series. He says he's sure the visiting fast-bowling pair of Dale Steyn and Mornel Morkel will also enjoy the bounce of the Australian wickets.

"They are a very good outfit and I think our conditions are very similar to theirs back home in South Africa as well," he said. "So look, it's going to be a tough challenge and the boys are looking forward to it. "I'm sure they're going to be coming out playing some extremely hard cricket. "We recently played the tri-series in Zimbabwe where they got the better of us. It's another chance for us to come out and try to improve and get one over the top of them."

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/cricket/steve-smith-i-was-sledging-not-chatting-to-pakistan-batsman-20141110-11jy4s.html

Have Shield games always been 4 dayers and if so why?

Why not make them 5 days?

There are new rules this year that reward a team for getting 5, 7 or 9 wickets in the first 100 overs. Or for making >200 runs in the first 100 overs of the first innings for either side

Just crazy. We need a number 3 batsmen and we don't need an attacking one. We can have Rahul Dravid. We can have whichever style as long as they can average 45 and perform in a variety of conditions.

We have 1, 2, 4, 5 and options for 6. We have a keeper. We have and always will have some decent quicks.

We need a spinner and a number 3. Asking teams to bat quicker or take more wickets in the first innings of shield games does nothing for the development of either of those positions.

The Shield competition has been in the doldrums for some time with CA interfering far too much. Laughable that last season they instructed Wade not to bowl Pattinson for more than 10 overs in an innings during one game - what a joke.

If introducing this new points system produces more attacking cricket then it's a good move, doesn't mean upper order batsmen need to bat recklessly and it prevents teams batting on endlessly to obtain 2 points for a first innings victory which in many cases killed the contest for outright points..

Seems to be working well so far.

I'm going to poke my eyes out with a fork if I have to listen to Mark Taylor again this summer.

Do channel 9 still delay their coverage by a second or two to scuttle those who watch with the sound down while listening to the radio broadcast?

The game's not the same without Richie, Greigy and Bill in the combox together. It's all monotone, monotone and more of the same. Fair dinkum, not even the Third Man could get any material for a best selling CD out of this lot!

Brisbane 11:

Warner

Rogers

????

Smith

????

????

Haddin

Johnson

Harris (hopefully)

Starc

Lyon

I guess we will go with Mitch Marsh and Watson. Neither inspire me with confidence. Anyone got a good idea for a top order batsman?

I guess we will go with Mitch Marsh and Watson. Neither inspire me with confidence. Anyone got a good idea for a top order batsman?

I was thinking Ian Redpath or Stumpy Laird.

• Like 1