Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

Another wicketless day with ball in hand for Siddle.

It really is sad at how quickly he's fallen away. Less then 18 months ago he was streets ahead of the rest of our bowlers.

• Like 1

Another wicketless day with ball in hand for Siddle.

It really is sad at how quickly he's fallen away. Less then 18 months ago he was streets ahead of the rest of our bowlers.

Inclined to agree TD however apparently he has been ill today and took early leave.

It's only 2 weeks ago that he snared 5 in an innings in the Shield.

Mitch Marsh batting out of his skin. I'd imagine Watson would be feeling nervous right now. Also, Warner now has six tons for the year. Incredible stuff.

EDIT: Marsh out.

Edited by Demon Jack

Mitch Marsh batting out of his skin. I'd imagine Watson would be feeling nervous right now. Also, Warner now has six tons for the year. Incredible stuff.

EDIT: Marsh out.

That took all of 2 minutes ... the cricket thread mozz factor at work again :)

As for the outcome of this Test ... we'd have to be favourites now. The Adelaide test so often comes down to the wire after often looking like a draw early on - I'd expect Clarke to declare overnight but he may bat on for 30 minutes.

A word of praise again for our skipper - a fantastic innings on his part given all the circumstances and he continues to lead the team with excellent tactical awareness - he always seems to be ahead of the play.

Smith is coming on in leaps and bounds and Warner is just amazing - he's come a long way from the swashbuckling t20 player he was when he first started out.

Nice to see Lyon pick up a 5 wicket haul too ... if he can get a few wickets tomorrow, all the better.

It should be a fascinating day tomorrow regardless of the result (I believe at least 7 hours of play is available)

That took all of 2 minutes ... the cricket thread mozz factor at work again :)

As for the outcome of this Test ... we'd have to be favourites now. The Adelaide test so often comes down to the wire after often looking like a draw early on - I'd expect Clarke to declare overnight but he may bat on for 30 minutes.

A word of praise again for our skipper - a fantastic innings on his part given all the circumstances and he continues to lead the team with excellent tactical awareness - he always seems to be ahead of the play.

Smith is coming on in leaps and bounds and Warner is just amazing - he's come a long way from the swashbuckling t20 player he was when he first started out.

Nice to see Lyon pick up a 5 wicket haul too ... if he can get a few wickets tomorrow, all the better.

It should be a fascinating day tomorrow regardless of the result (I believe at least 7 hours of play is available)

98 overs to be bowled which should be enough to dismiss the Indians.

Pleased to see Lyon have success however he must follow up.

Amazing that the bounce he obtains in Oz makes NL a threat whereas he was pitiful in the UAE.

• Like 1

Amazing that the bounce he obtains in Oz makes NL a threat whereas he was pitiful in the UAE.

Yeah he needs grip and bounce which he gets plenty of in Australia, South Africa and to a degree, New Zealand & England. But in the sub-continent & Windies on slower & lower wickets doesn't get as much of either.

I can't see it happening, but I really think the selectors should take a horses for courses approach with our spin bowler until we find an out and out great again. When playing at home and the other countries that offer some bounce and grip then Lyon is an automatic. When touring the sub-continent & Windies however I think they should pick Fawad Ahmed who grew up on those wickets and is likely to get more out of them.

Slightly off topic now, but a great win last evening by the Vics in the Shield against WA over at the WACA, and it's fantastic to see them on top of the table a the half way point of the season after their disaster of a season last year.

Their batting performances have been particularly impressive given the majority of the runs have come from some younger and lesser known players in Peter Handscomb & Marcus Stoinis along with Dan Christian who's showing the form of why he was named 12th Man for Australia on a couple of occasions at Test level a few years back.

Scott Boland & NSW import Chris Tremain have led the fast bowlers well and Fawad Ahmed's back bowling his leg spinners nicely again after an ordinary past season.

Only disapointing thing so far would be poor Peter Handscomb has probably missed out on a rough chance of getting a call up as cover for Clarke. After the first three rounds of the Shield he was the comps leading run scorer after having only had 4 innings, but made two centuries & a 50. However he didn't get a bat in the round 4 match due to the match being called off after day 1 and he then injured his finger before the last round and missed due to injury, meaning he hasn't had a bat for some time and now the season is entering big bash mode.

Fingers crossed for him that when the Shield resumes his form hasn't gone and he can keep pushing his claims as one of the countries best young batsmen. As fot now it appears Shaun Marsh has been named as cover (something I still don't understand) especially given the form Adam Voges has been showing and given his superior first class average.

Still I digress.

I'm not sure Lyon is necessarily a 5th day wicket bowler Smithy as he seems to be at his best when the surfaces give good bounce ... you'd reckon that the uneven bounce that is generally on offer later in games would aid him but from what we've seen so far in his career, it doesn't seem so. I wish him well today though.

It's not that Lyon bowls badly later in the matches - he just can't seem to get the wickets that we want him to get. I agree with 'TD' in the above post to a certain extent - horses for courses. Unless a player is 'A' grade in the Test side, I believe others could be tried to a certain extent. At the moment we've got about 4-5 players in the side who wouldn't be classed as A grade although I believe that one of those non A grade players (Mitch Marsh) should be given a decent run.

Players who can be relied on to play a role can get favour as well but you can't have too many in the side who are in that category. My reckoning is that each player in the test side should 'generally' at least have have that 'A' grade possibility.

... looks like Dhawan has copped a howler - the ball might have just nicked the glove but I reckon the umpire might have thought the ball "hit" the glove ... I was just coming to terms with DRS and a few of it's flaws but the luck can go both ways without DRS. We may well get an LBW turned down today which is out (or something similar)

The team for the first test in Adelaide - 1 Chris Rogers, 2 David Warner, 3 Shane Watson, 4 Michael Clarke (capt), 5 Steven Smith, 6 Mitchell Marsh, 7 Brad Haddin (wk), 8 Mitchell Johnson, 9 Ryan Harris, 10 Peter Siddle, 11 Nathan Lyon.

Hazlewood unlucky whilst Lyon needs to show something on a track that should suit, his form has been horrible.

suited alright, well done Lyon

well done Warner, & Smith

I'm not sure Lyon is necessarily a 5th day wicket bowler Smithy as he seems to be at his best when the surfaces give good bounce ... you'd reckon that the uneven bounce that is generally on offer later in games would aid him but from what we've seen so far in his career, it doesn't seem so. I wish him well today though.

It's not that Lyon bowls badly later in the matches - he just can't seem to get the wickets that we want him to get. I agree with 'TD' in the above post to a certain extent - horses for courses. Unless a player is 'A' grade in the Test side, I believe others could be tried to a certain extent. At the moment we've got about 4-5 players in the side who wouldn't be classed as A grade although I believe that one of those non A grade players (Mitch Marsh) should be given a decent run.

Players who can be relied on to play a role can get favour as well but you can't have too many in the side who are in that category. My reckoning is that each player in the test side should 'generally' at least have have that 'A' grade possibility.

... looks like Dhawan has copped a howler - the ball might have just nicked the glove but I reckon the umpire might have thought the ball "hit" the glove ... I was just coming to terms with DRS and a few of it's flaws but the luck can go both ways without DRS. We may well get an LBW turned down today which is out (or something similar)

You were right about those LBW's Macca :) All the same the Indians copped the worst of the decisions overall and serve them right for their anti DRS stance, anyone would think that they run world cricket :)

Great to see an Aussie offie perform at last, well done Nathan.

Kohli was brilliant.

You were right about those LBW's Macca :) All the same the Indians copped the worst of the decisions overall and serve them right for their anti DRS stance, anyone would think that they run world cricket :)Great to see an Aussie offie perform at last, well done Nathan.Kohli was brilliant.

Yep, hats off to Nathan ... we've been waiting for a performance like this from him and he sure did deliver.

Kudos to him.

Fantastic effort from Lyon. Always coming under largely unwarranted criticism but stood up when needed. Should have had both Vijay and Kohli out well before they actually got out too, two horrendous decisions from Erasmus with those non-lbws (of course, Dhawan and Rahane didn't hit the ball either so it evens out).

Amazing that Dave Warner could hit centuries in both innings and probably only be the third best player in the match.

Clarke won't play again this series you wouldn't think, which will probably mean Rogers will save his spot for now. S Marsh might get Clarke's spot since he was in the squad, must be next in line. Siddle is also in trouble - he really doesn't threaten anywhere near as much as he needs to.

• Like 1

Have we seen the last of PUP ?

He'll be back ... the selectors have been unbelievably patient with Watto so you'd reckon that the captain will at least be afforded the same luxury. Haddin should captain in his absence - Clarke's next aim should be to get back and firing before the World cup starts (the world cup commences on Feb 15)

I like Watto as a cricketer but in my opinion he's best suited to the late middle order. For the foreseeable future I see Watson at no.5, Mitch Marsh at 6, Smith to move up to no.4 and Shaun Marsh to probably come in at bat at no.3 (as titan pointed out in the above post, he's probably next in line) What complicates things a bit is that Shaun Marsh has been batting at no.5 for W.A.

As an alternative to Shaun Marsh I'd take a chance with a young up and comer (Burns, Maddinson, Silk, Bancroft, Stoinis, Handscomb or Carters) 5 of those aforementioned 7 players are in the top 10 for aggregate runs this season in the Shield ... only Maddinson & Silk are missing from the top 10 but previously, both those players have performed quite well ... Shield aggregates (Cowan and Voges top the list but I'd be looking elsewhere)

Edited by Macca

He'll be back ... the selectors have been unbelievably patient with Watto so you'd reckon that the captain will at least be afforded the same luxury. Haddin should captain in his absence - Clarke's next aim should be to get back and firing before the World cup starts (the world cup commences on Feb 15)

I like Watto as a cricketer but in my opinion he's best suited to the late middle order. For the foreseeable future I see Watson at no.5, Mitch Marsh at 6, Smith to move up to no.4 and Shaun Marsh to probably come in at bat at no.3 (as titan pointed out in the above post, he's probably next in line) What complicates things a bit is that Shaun Marsh has been batting at no.5 for W.A.

As an alternative to Shaun Marsh I'd take a chance with a young up and comer (Burns, Maddinson, Silk, Bancroft, Stoinis, Handscomb or Carters) 5 of those aforementioned 7 players are in the top 10 for aggregate runs this season in the Shield ... only Maddinson & Silk are missing from the top 10 but previously, both those players have performed quite well ... Shield aggregates (Cowan and Voges top the list but I'd be looking elsewhere)

Marsh and Starc have been added to the squad for Brisbane, so it seems that Marsh will come in (and probably bat at 5, moving Smith up to 4 I think (he's in ripping form, Smith)), but I think Siddle will get one more game on a friendlier pitch. He was also sick in the first innings apparently, which hampered his pace.

Fantastic effort from Lyon. Always coming under largely unwarranted criticism but stood up when needed. Should have had both Vijay and Kohli out well before they actually got out too, two horrendous decisions from Erasmus with those non-lbws (of course, Dhawan and Rahane didn't hit the ball either so it evens out).

Amazing that Dave Warner could hit centuries in both innings and probably only be the third best player in the match.

Clarke won't play again this series you wouldn't think, which will probably mean Rogers will save his spot for now. S Marsh might get Clarke's spot since he was in the squad, must be next in line. Siddle is also in trouble - he really doesn't threaten anywhere near as much as he needs to.

maybe Siddle needs the Paleo diet. to get his old aggression back. ;)

Marsh and Starc have been added to the squad for Brisbane, so it seems that Marsh will come in (and probably bat at 5, moving Smith up to 4 I think (he's in ripping form, Smith)), but I think Siddle will get one more game on a friendlier pitch. He was also sick in the first innings apparently, which hampered his pace.

If we can get all our quicks fit and firing we're well set up for the future ... once again the sheffield shield proves it's worth. We don't hear it called "The best domestic competition in the world" much these days but I believe it still is (along with the South African model these days)

I've heard Benaud mention on more than one occasion that some shield games he played in were fiercer and more competitive than some test matches that he played in ... it's a shame that the games aren't well attended but that's been much the case since ODI's came into vogue. Much like the test matches from the UAE - the lack of attendance doesn't mean the cricket isn't highly competitive.

It's a classic case of out of sight, out of mind for many cricket followers but people should at least keep tabs on who is at least performing well in the shield. Too often I keep hearing ... "there's no one else" or "no one is knocking down the door" - both those statements simply aren't true.

The lack of proper appraisal from the cricket scribes is at an all time low - I barely ever see them writing about the next generation - in footy, it's almost the opposite.

Agree with you on Siddle.

I hope you are right in regards to Clark although I would forget the WC and make sure he is 100% for the Ashes tour.

Selfish from my view point as I will be in attendance at Lords and Edgbaston.

I hope you are right in regards to Clark although I would forget the WC and make sure he is 100% for the Ashes tour.

Selfish from my view point as I will be in attendance at Lords and Edgbaston.

Enjoy! We'll be looking for daily reports Smithy so I hope you're "ipaded up"

Clarke won't want to go out on that note ... he knows he'll get picked if he gets his body right and I believe he'll do everything possible to get back - maybe some alternative type of training is required. Pilates? Yoga? ... I know next to nothing about these type of things but he's got to try something.

Apparently Watson has gone down that track but don't quote me on that (unless someone can "quote" me for verification ^_^ )

If we can get all our quicks fit and firing we're well set up for the future ... once again the sheffield shield proves it's worth. We don't hear it called "The best domestic competition in the world" much these days but I believe it still is (along with the South African model these days)

I've heard Benaud mention on more than one occasion that some shield games he played in were fiercer and more competitive than some test matches that he played in ... it's a shame that the games aren't well attended but that's been much the case since ODI's came into vogue. Much like the test matches from the UAE - the lack of attendance doesn't mean the cricket isn't highly competitive.

It's a classic case of out of sight, out of mind for many cricket followers but people should at least keep tabs on who is at least performing well in the shield. Too often I keep hearing ... "there's no one else" or "no one is knocking down the door" - both those statements simply aren't true.

The lack of proper appraisal from the cricket scribes is at an all time low - I barely ever see them writing about the next generation - in footy, it's almost the opposite.

Agree with you on Siddle.

Agree Macca, there certainly are players coming through and options available for the Aussies, even though at times there mightn't seem like much.

Our fast bowling especially are looking good. Outside Johnson, Harris & Siddle, there's obviously Starc & Hazlewood. We're seeing Cummins making steps back into international cricket with his recent ODI & T20 appearances, and lets not forget about one James Pattinson who's currently on the injury come back trail.

As far as the keeper spots go Matthew Wade looked much improved in the ODI series, Chris Hartley's batting is improving at state level and then there's the young Sam Whiteman coming through the ranks and the ever reliable Victorian born NSW keeper Peter Nevill also on the scene.

James Muirhead & Adam Zampa are two young spinners who should be watched with interest over the coming years. Who knows, maybe even Ashton Agar isn't done with yet.

And as far as the batsmen go, as you've mentioned, Peter Handscomb, Nic Maddison, Joe Burns & Jordan Silk, all still very young and all with a lot of talent who hopefully have long careers ahead.

As far as the rest of this series and Clarke's absence are concerned. I'd be giving Haddin the captaincy for the rest of this series and look to retire Clarke from ODI cricket immediatly and hope to get him right for the Windies tour. His loss in the ODI team isn't as great as it is in the test team as we have enough good ODI players at international level to come in for him. Cameron White, Adam Voges & Shaun Marsh have all shown in white ball cricket that they're more then capable of competing with the best.

It appears Shaun Marsh will come in and bat at 5 much to my objection as I just don't think he 's up to international standard in test cricket. If they wanted an older experienced player in I'd of rathered Adam Voges who can also bowl handy left arm orthodox, has leadership experience and has a superior first class average and is coming off 2 100's against Victoria, or giving Callum Ferguson a go. He top scored for SA on Thursday with 11 of their 45! :)

Anyway it will be interesting to see how things play out of the coming days, weeks and even months for that matter. Well done again to the Aussies for a simply brilliant performance and Nathan Lyon, David Warner, Steve Smith, Michael Clarke & Virat Kohli all who displayed some of the best individual performances I've ever seen. That innings of Kohli's was the best 5th day innings I've seen since Ponting in the 3rd Ashes Test of 2005 at Trent Bridge. They both edge ahead of Faf Du Plessis Adelaide innings against us as both Ponting & Kohli were also going for a win at the same time. Faf never had that intention but was still a brilliant innings.

You make some good points there 'TD' ... all your ideas have merit even though I may not agree with all of those ideas :o

I reckon Clarke will want to get back for the World cup and if he can overcome these latest injuries, he can get back. A lot is going to depend on how badly he's torn his hammy. The back issue might be a '4-6 week' thing but the world cup doesn't actually start for 2 months - it's gonna be a close run thing by the looks of it.

Because he's the captain, a lot rests with how Clarke views things. Of course we can get by without him but the world cup is something that all our cricketers would want to be involved in. He probably wont get another chance to play in another one.