Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

Yep.

Wasn't Watson & Siddle the two who stayed with Hussey in the changerooms?

Anyway....clearly from Pat Howard's perspective the Captain/Vice Captain relationship isn't plain sailing. And clearly there is a lack of team harmony within the squad, hence a lack of spirit. It's not good, whichever way you cut it.

Perhaps there is a common theme here. Clarke is a wonderful player and tactician IMO. A wonderful leader on the field.

But from the reports of journalists on tour etc, there is a bit of work to be done off the field as well as on. If they want a professionally run outfit and this is line in the sand stuff to prevent the short cuts and "attitude/back chat problems", so be it.

I'm hopeful that Clarke can be as good a leader off the field in the changerooms like his predecessors in Taylor, Waugh, Ponting where they were inclusive of all. The Australian cricket team has traditionally been a team that plays hard and celebrates hard appropriately behind closed doors. Let's hope that continues in a professional manner.

Lets hope it returns,,,,, & Lets hope it becomes harmonious again.

* to me its time for Alan Border to come back & do a "Bobby Simpson", & become the TEST Team overseer. not play but be the Test Team manager. a bit like a soccer manager.

we just don't have the tools for a proper captain atmo.

... and the coach is wrong not understanding Australian ways. You can't make a Cattle Dog a Hyena.

Maybe I didn't recall hard enough 45...

I just don't particularly think people skills were there forte.

I think we're still coming to grips with how KOTD we were to have had the likes of McGrath, Waugh and Gilchrist - not even to mention Ponting and a couple of handy openers in Langer and Hayden.

They made the two aforementioned captains look much better than they actually were in my opinion.

• Like 1

I just don't particularly think people skills were there forte.

I think we're still coming to grips with how KOTD we were to have had the likes of McGrath, Waugh and Gilchrist - not even to mention Ponting and a couple of handy openers in Langer and Hayden.

They made the two aforementioned captains look much better than they actually were in my opinion.

Fair enough I suppose re: their forte. I think they both were well respected by their players.

0/109 at Lunch AUSvIND. Good solid start by the opening batsmen in Mohali. Clarke won toss (batted).

VICS v TAS - TAS 6/369, VICS are 4/208. Tassie in a strong position. VICS after 1st innings points.

Haha knew it'd happen. Pushes for Clarke to move up for over a year. Bats three - gone first ball. Unlike Clarke to be so undone by spin - good bowling, poor batting, team imbalance distracting or a combination of them?

Australia's No. 3 against spin: last 40 balls, 0 runs, five wickets

Nasher!

Clarke Out First Ball....!

test gone

There's a bloke called Ricky or something making a mountain of runs in the Shield. Anyone heard of him? :-)

Has he got any leadership abilities?

• Like 1

Good start but then we struggling again. Going from 0/139 to a stumps score of 7/273 is just not good enough. We've won the toss 3 times now but it hasn't helped us. It doesn't seem that any of our batsmen can consistently get set on these tracks. We don't play spin well at all (apart from Clarke) Some of our batsmen look good for a while and then get caught at the crease. One of Cowan or Warner should have gone on and made a big one.

Smith has looked ok on his return and has batted with good intent and has hit the ball well. If the tail can hang around with him he might get a decent score. The way they've talked about this track, we've missed out. At least 400+ could have been expected. It will be interesting to see how we bowl on this wicket.

Edited by Macca

Good start but then we struggling again. Going from 0/139 to a stumps score of 7/273 is just not good enough. We've won the toss 3 times now but it hasn't helped us. It doesn't seem that any of our batsmen can consistently get set on these tracks. We don't play spin well at all (apart from Clarke) Some of our batsmen look good for a while and then get caught at the crease. One of Cowan or Warner should have gone on and made a big one.

Smith has looked ok on his return and has batted with good intent and has hit the ball well. If the tail can hang around with him he might get a decent score. The way they've talked about this track, we've missed out. At least 400+ could have been expected. It will be interesting to see how we bowl on this wicket.

seems like the only happy players are clarkes pets. warner & cowan. could it be that all the others are Unhappy?

seems like the only happy players are clarkes pets. warner & cowan. could it be that all the others are Unhappy?

NSW let us down tonight.

The Tassy team might be better.

Well it's all said and done dl, these blokes are playing for their Country and are professional sportsmen. Regardless of whether our players are happy, sad or whatever, they've got a job to do.

The bloke who is holding the bat or bowling the ball has a responsibility to himself to perform well for the Team. Same goes for fielding and catching. A captain or a coach can't make you play better once the heat is on. Prep work is vital of course but they'd be doing plenty of that.

To me cricket is in a lot of ways a game of technique - like baseball, golf and tennis. Our blokes are simply lacking in that area. They're 'ok' or 'alright' but this is Test cricket. To be a great team you need great players. Role players can fit into a great team.

I know it sounds harsh, but I was dissatisfied that Warner or Cowan didn't go on and make a big hundred. We may well have been 5/320 at stumps instead of 7/273. At this level you are expected to go on and make a hundred once you're well set and past 60. The blokes who failed don't get off the hook either, but there are usually one or two 'failures' even when a team posts a big score. The best players go on with it.

It's interesting that the last time we had major issues with our batting (on an ongoing basis) was the mid to late 1980's. Our line-up in those days included quite a few young players in Marsh, Boon, Jones and Steve Waugh alongside the captain (Border). Taylor joined up with this crew later on, and then we turned it all around in 1989 with a 4-0 drubbing of England.

We also won the World cup in '87 with a lot of these players. (looking back, that World Cup win could be viewed as a precurser) Ponting, Mark Waugh and quite a few other young batsmen kept being added and the end result was that we were no.1 in the world from 1994 to 2008/09. This is aside from the bowling, of course (which went along a similar path)

Who amongst Warner, Cowan, Khawaja, Smith, Maxwell, Hughes, Watson and Henriques are going to take us back to the top (alongside Clarke). Or are there other young players who are yet to emerge who will help take us back to the top. Doolan? Maddinson? Burns? Keath?

People may make complaints about the Sheffield Shield in that the competition isn't producing young star batsmen but I believe that will happen with time. The Shield is still a tried and true method and even though it can't pull a crowd, the Shield competition is still very competitive and will continue to be the life blood of our Test team.

Edited by Macca

Oops ... spoke too soon ... all out 358.

NSW look like winning their match to go to 29pts (thus eliminating SA from the Shield final). If there is an outright result in the WA/QLD game then the winner would progress to the final. It's almost certain that neither team can make the final if there isn't an outright result. WA look like securing 1st innings points so they have progress to 28pts (so far)

Tasmania need to win outright to make the final so we can expect a sporting declaration. The Vics probably need to win outright to make the final (and host it), so we might see some fireworks on the last day.

"It's all happening"

Shield Table before the last round

Scores in the last round (look to the right when opening this page for 'domestic scores')

Edit : Just starting the 3rd day in the 3rd Test in Mohali. It's 9.00am local time - a cup of tea and some toast and then you're out there!

Raining in Tassie - must be frustrating for both teams.

Edited by Macca

Well it's all said and done dl, these blokes are playing for their Country and are professional sportsmen. Regardless of whether our players are happy, sad or whatever, they've got a job to do.

The bloke who is holding the bat or bowling the ball has a responsibility to himself to perform well for the Team. Same goes for fielding and catching. A captain or a coach can't make you play better once the heat is on. Prep work is vital of course but they'd be doing plenty of that.

To me cricket is in a lot of ways a game of technique - like baseball, golf and tennis. Our blokes are simply lacking in that area. They're 'ok' or 'alright' but this is Test cricket. To be a great team you need great players. Role players can fit into a great team.

I know it sounds harsh, but I was dissatisfied that Warner or Cowan didn't go on and make a big hundred. We may well have been 5/320 at stumps instead of 7/273. At this level you are expected to go on and make a hundred once you're well set and past 60. The blokes who failed don't get off the hook either, but there are usually one or two 'failures' even when a team posts a big score. The best players go on with it.

It's interesting that the last time we had major issues with our batting (on an ongoing basis) was the mid to late 1980's. Our line-up in those days included quite a few young players in Marsh, Boon, Jones and Steve Waugh alongside the captain (Border). Taylor joined up with this crew later on, and then we turned it all around in 1989 with a 4-0 drubbing of England.

We also won the World cup in '87 with a lot of these players. (looking back, that World Cup win could be viewed as a precurser) Ponting, Mark Waugh and quite a few other young batsmen kept being added and the end result was that we were no.1 in the world from 1994 to 2008/09. This is aside from the bowling, of course (which went along a similar path)

Who amongst Warner, Cowan, Khawaja, Smith, Maxwell, Hughes, Watson and Henriques are going to take us back to the top (alongside Clarke). Or are there other young players who are yet to emerge who will help take us back to the top. Doolan? Maddinson? Burns? Keath?

People may make complaints about the Sheffield Shield in that the competition isn't producing young star batsmen but I believe that will happen with time. The Shield is still a tried and true method and even though it can't pull a crowd, the Shield competition is still very competitive and will continue to be the life blood of our Test team.

Macca. Life isn't like that. You can't turn on & off your elite talent on a whim.

But an unfriendly environment within your own team environment, will quell the talents of most.

I put it to you, that seems to be whats happening.

Its not a low skill game like 'tug of war', where all you need to do is crack a whip & shoot a start gun, where all can perform near they're maximum.

Confidence is reliant on a cohesive and supportive team structure where players get along. This is how Australian teams have traditionally been selected & if you don't fit you miss out.

... the whispers seem to say that pretentiousness has snuck into the dressing room.

* with regard to the players relevent skill levels, the players we have is what we have. You can't demand talent out of them in the dressing-room thru threats. This sort of pressure in cricket might work in a t20 game, but in tests on spinning dust bowls, I don't think so.

A calm mind focused on doing what the player is hoping for, is imo the best way forward. Only a happy dressingroom will accommodate this.

I don't believe our dressing-room is harmonious since punter left, & then Hussey pulled the pin unexpectedly. coincidence?

... the rumour above said Clarke wouldn't celebrate Husses retirement unless they went onto the Super Yaught.

Huss refused, why? I put it to you that he was unhappy with Clarkes ways....

And I suspect he retired because of it, just a couple of months prior to a Ashes series.

How much did Clarke have to do with Pontings retirement?

We all thought Clarke had grown up & changed, now I suspect he hasn't, but is putting out a different imagary, but is the same petulant self.

... just a bit up himself... this isn't the type to skipper an Aussie side, its the old pommie criteria.