• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

Macca. Life isn't like that. You can't turn on & off your elite talent on a whim.

But an unfriendly environment within your own team environment, will quell the talents of most.

I put it to you, that seems to be whats happening.

Its not a low skill game like 'tug of war', where all you need to do is crack a whip & shoot a start gun, where all can perform near they're maximum.

Confidence is reliant on a cohesive and supportive team structure where players get along. This is how Australian teams have traditionally been selected & if you don't fit you miss out.

... the whispers seem to say that pretentiousness has snuck into the dressing room.

* with regard to the players relevent skill levels, the players we have is what we have. You can't demand talent out of them in the dressing-room thru threats. This sort of pressure in cricket might work in a t20 game, but in tests on spinning dust bowls, I don't think so.

A calm mind focused on doing what the player is hoping for, is imo the best way forward. Only a happy dressingroom will accommodate this.

I don't believe our dressing-room is harmonious since punter left, & then Hussey pulled the pin unexpectedly. coincidence?

... the rumour above said Clarke wouldn't celebrate Husses retirement unless they went onto the Super Yaught.

Huss refused, why? I put it to you that he was unhappy with Clarkes ways....

And I suspect he retired because of it, just a couple of months prior to a Ashes series.

How much did Clarke have to do with Pontings retirement?

We all thought Clarke had grown up & changed, now I suspect he hasn't, but is putting out a different imagary, but is the same petulant self.

... just a bit up himself... this isn't the type to skipper an Aussie side, its the old pommie criteria.

Put it this way dl, if I was representing my Country at Test level, I would want to do the very best that I could possibly do. Couldn't give a rats toss bag about the backroom stuff - zero interest. At this level you need to just get on with it.

I've seen many a player lose focus at suburban sport level. But I've seen many who never lose focus. People of character will always shine through. Those looking for excuses should be disregarded.

You and I saw a fair bit of the Demons in the 70's. Even though we were a poor team, we could nearly always rely on Alves, Wells, Flower and Hardeman to play well and put in. Those 4 never gave it in, at least not in my eyes. Laurie Fowler was another who gave his all. I expect the same from all our Test representatives.

It's the Country's best XI. It's an enormous honour just to play one game. We should at least expect absolute commitment - every time. This also extends to prep work but I'm specifically talking about the match situation in this instance. A professional sportsperson at this level should have the ability to block out all distractions all of the time. If he or she doesn't have this quality then they're not cut out for big time sport.

I just hate excuses and always will do. Reasons make more sense to me. Our Test team needs to unearth some stars. We're clearly not a great team and those who think that this particular team can reach no.1 status in the World need to reassess their appraisal.

Edited by Macca

Well done to Michell Starc. Still a great knock from a number 9. Unlucky not to get a ton but Starc has shown great determination and commitment and we ended up with quite a few bonus runs as a result. Played some nice shots. He's given his Country a real chance. Let's hope he bowls well.

Smith looked a lot better as well. He has tightened up his technique. 92 is an excellent return, all things considered. He is possibly only in the team because of the suspensions. Well done to him for grabbing his opportunity. Good footwork and you can see that he has worked really hard on his game.

Still looks a good batting track and we're going to have to bowl well to keep them in check. At the beginning of the match we'd probably have taken 408 as a 1st innings total.

Edited by Macca

Dhawan scores the fastest century on debut!

This innings has been quite something ... he has played good proper cricket shots all around the wicket. Fantastic debut !! 173 n.o off 146 balls.

And he has already made a bit of name for himself in the IPL. Another example of how the super short version can help the longer version. There will be more like Dhawan. We have already seen 392 runs today with more than half an hour to play.

Edited by Macca

Put it this way dl, if I was representing my Country at Test level, I would want to do the very best that I could possibly do. Couldn't give a rats toss bag about the backroom stuff - zero interest. At this level you need to just get on with it.

I've seen many a player lose focus at suburban sport level. But I've seen many who never lose focus. People of character will always shine through. Those looking for excuses should be disregarded.

You and I saw a fair bit of the Demons in the 70's. Even though we were a poor team, we could nearly always rely on Alves, Wells, Flower and Hardeman to play well and put in. Those 4 never gave it in, at least not in my eyes. Laurie Fowler was another who gave his all. I expect the same from all our Test representatives.

It's the Country's best XI. It's an enormous honour just to play one game. We should at least expect absolute commitment - every time. This also extends to prep work but I'm specifically talking about the match situation in this instance. A professional sportsperson at this level should have the ability to block out all distractions all of the time. If he or she doesn't have this quality then they're not cut out for big time sport.

I just hate excuses and always will do. Reasons make more sense to me. Our Test team needs to unearth some stars. We're clearly not a great team and those who think that this particular team can reach no.1 status in the World need to reassess their appraisal.

I agree Macca, but batting in a cricket match seems like a cross between skill & gambling.. you make a mistake you leave the field of battle.

If Flower or Alves, Hardeman or Fowler make a mistake they vcan use desperation to nullify the impact.

But when the stumps rattle, there is no scope for nullifying the result. Just the long walk back.

On the dust tracks & if the leadership has no confidence in you & vica versa & the dressingroom is a horrid place, form falls. its just a fact. Happens in all sport.

I want to believe that Clarke has changed & is a good bloke & a inspirational skipper, but to me I've never felt that about him. A highly talented cricketer, but not a true leader.

I agree Macca, but batting in a cricket match seems like a cross between skill & gambling.. you make a mistake you leave the field of battle.

If Flower or Alves, Hardeman or Fowler make a mistake they vcan use desperation to nullify the impact.

But when the stumps rattle, there is no scope for nullifying the result. Just the long walk back.

On the dust tracks & if the leadership has no confidence in you & vica versa & the dressingroom is a horrid place, form falls. its just a fact. Happens in all sport.

I want to believe that Clarke has changed & is a good bloke & a inspirational skipper, but to me I've never felt that about him. A highly talented cricketer, but not a true leader.

The bit I've highlighted is our major point of difference 'dl' . I've never had a problem with Clarke apart from a few years ago when he went through a bit of a form slump. I have no real issue with him and you might have - that's why we disagree. You may well be right, by the way. Mine is just an opinion. It is however, ok to agree to disagree.

We're not privy to the inner sanctum so we can only really make judgements by what we see on the field. I read Clarke's piece in the paper the other day and was impressed. If other, factual information to the contrary comes to hand (with regards to Clarke) then I'm happy to change my mind.

I still believe that the suspensions to the 4 players was too heavy handed. From what we can gather, that was more of a coach/player issue. Clarke may have been put into an uncompromising position on that issue, for all we know.

Edited by Macca

This innings has been quite something ... he has played good proper cricket shots all around the wicket. Fantastic debut !! 173 n.o off 146 balls.

And he has already made a bit of name for himself in the IPL. Another example of how the super short version can help the longer version. There will be more like Dhawan. We have already seen 392 runs today with more than half an hour to play.

Dhawan has also scored about 6000 first class runs as well.

Dhawan has also scored about 6000 first class runs as well.

Fair enough. He's a very aggressive player and he batted like he'd done it a hundred times before. I reckon we're going to see more of this same type of player in the future.

You'd normally expect a 27 year old with 6000 first class runs behind him to be a bit more circumspect in his 1st Test appearance. It seems that we're seeing more and more new players inclined to play their shots - right from the word go.

Might be a different story when Dhawan has to face up to Steyn and co. in South Africa later in the year. He might still bat just as aggressively. That is one of the toughest tour's in World cricket. And the Proteas are flying.

The bit I've highlighted is our major point of difference 'dl' . I've never had a problem with Clarke apart from a few years ago when he went through a bit of a form slump. I have no real issue with him and you might have - that's why we disagree. You may well be right, by the way. Mine is just an opinion. It is however, ok to agree to disagree.

We're not privy to the inner sanctum so we can only really make judgements by what we see on the field. I read Clarke's piece in the paper the other day and was impressed. If other, factual information to the contrary comes to hand (with regards to Clarke) then I'm happy to change my mind.

I still believe that the suspensions to the 4 players was too heavy handed. From what we can gather, that was more of a coach/player issue. Clarke may have been put into an uncompromising position on that issue, for all we know.

see to me the coach wouldn't have the power alone to suspend them without the rest of the hierarchy.

i think their playing games with them to try to unsettle them. to shake up something the hierarchy doesn't like.

my point is that I wonder if its Clarkes ways, 'that cause' the original conflicts. he has some history of fallouts,,,, & Watson hasn't that I've heard.

...... this is why I wonder, because we have never had this sort of fallout that I can remember since WSC...

When you hear of some players going onboard a Yaught, while one of our best has retired & wants some lowkey beers with close mates to close his innings, I wonder strongly.

Edited by dee-luded

see to me the coach wouldn't have the power alone to suspend them without the rest of the hierarchy.

i think their playing games with them to try to unsettle them. to shake up something the hierarchy doesn't like.

my point is that I wonder if its Clarkes ways, 'that cause' the original conflicts. he has some history of fallouts,,,, & Watson hasn't that I've heard.

...... this is why I wonder, because we have never had this sort of fallout that I can remember since WSC...

When you hear of some players going onboard a Yaught, while one of our best has retired & wants some lowkey beers with close mates to close his innings, I wonder strongly.

Fair enough, there's possibly a bit in what you're saying.

By the way, I have heard that story about the yacht ... I reckon I'd be straight on it. The choice between a smelly, dank, darkened change rooms with some semi warm beer and some pretzels at the SCG, or a fully laid on spread of crayfish, champers and with lots of nice ladies is an easy one in my eyes.

Yes James, we'll see you there ... just give us 10 minutes or so !

Now Smith has come in at 4??? I must have missed something, Clarke must be injured....

Maybe he's setting himself up to knock up some quick runs to set them a target. Haven't picked anything up from the commentators. Hughes is getting on with it, but he usually bats like that anyway. We would have to get about 200 in tomorrow morning's extended morning session. Big ask.

They may end up bowling us out cheap to save us the trouble. Ashwin is looking dangerous and Ojha will be wanting to get amongst it. It could also be that they decided to give Hughes and Smith a good go at it. Or Delhi belly?? ^_^ Or the Mohali equivalent of Dehli belly ...

Edited by Macca

Maybe he's setting himself up to knock up some quick runs to set them a target. Haven't picked anything up from the commentators. Hughes is getting on with it, but he usually bats like that anyway. We would have to get about 200 in tomorrow morning's extended morning session. Big ask.

They may end up bowling us out cheap to save us the trouble. Ashwin is looking dangerous and Ojha will be wanting to get amongst it. It could also be that they decided to give Hughes and Smith a good go at it. Or Delhi belly?? ^_^ Or the Mohali equivalent of Dehli belly ...

Over 7 overs left or over 30 mins of play still to come and Lyon comes in at 5 as night watchman.

India won't mind that at all...jeebus

Now Smith has come in at 4??? I must have missed something, Clarke must be injured....

Mentally yes.

At 3 for-40 maybe he has some new tactics.

Phil Hughes has taken a few risks this innings and living dangerously scoring over a run a ball.

Using his feet to the spinners but he's rolled the dice slashing a few times and lucky to have had leading edges fall out of reach of fieldsmen.

Edit: On a separate note, Ashwin now generating a lot of turn. #rightangles

Clarke has a back injury, seriously I wonder who of the squad walked under a ladder?

PS great effort by Siddle today.

Clarke has a back injury, seriously I wonder who of the squad walked under a ladder?

PS great effort by Siddle today.

Just as you posted that I heard Border talk about Clarke's back. Funny that. That explains it then.

Clarke will probably be raring to go tomorrow after the masseuse gives him a rub & tickle.

Siddle's 5-for - great effort.

Lyon keeping the spinners out and doing his job as night watchman. A lengthy stint, but he's done his job for the skipper.

There is a strong chance that Watto will captain the side if Clarke is ruled out of the next Test with a back injury. Pup looked to be batting with fair bit of discomfort today. Regardless of whether Clarke is ruled fit to play, Shane will most likely be in the line-up.

... Howard, Watson to meet in India

Cricket Australia announced that Watson would fly to India on Monday afternoon in time for the fourth Test in Delhi starting on Friday.

The 31-year-old and the other three players stood down for not providing feedback to coach Mickey Arthur - James Pattinson, Mitchell Johnson and Usman Khawaja - are all available for the fourth Test.

... Australian vice-captain Shane Watson's and Cricket Australia high-performance boss Pat Howard have smoked the peace pipe

"Pat and myself certainly had a few very constructive chats over the past week. We nutted out a lot of our issues. I don't want to go through what they were, because that's between Pat and I. But we're on the same page now," Watson said at Sydney International Airport this afternoon.

"I also had one particularly great chat to Mickey Arthur. It's just been great to nut out a few things.

"My mind's totally clear and I'm really excited to get back on the plane and to contribute to the team as best as I can.

We're now 8 for 143 and heading for another defeat. Most likely a heavy one :wacko:

Edit : Now 8 for 176

Edited by Macca

I'm a disillusioned Victorian supporter.

I think we have a captain with very low intelligence.

What a catastrophic decision to send Tassie in on a perfect pitch, when all our fast bowlers were out injured, and we had the best (?only) spinner in the match.

I think it was a gutless decision. White saw a bit of greenness in the track, thought about Hilfenhaus, and tried for the easy option. He does it over and over again. There is no inspiration or leadership skill in his demeanour. And he's too scared to bowl himself, even after getting 3 for 4.

He just made enough runs at the end of the season to get another contract after a shocking first two thirds of the season.

I say drop him, and make McDonald captain if he's fit again next year.

Man I hate losing to India, it's like us losing to Carlton and they are arrogant twats, especially Jadeja and Sharma. Hopefully we serve up juicy green tops when they are back over here.

But it is pretty simple - we can't play good spin and they can't play good fast bowling.

Edited by Django
  • Like 1

Losing a Test after making 400 in the first innings is bad. Losing that Test in 4 days is pathetic. Our fight to the end masks that.

David Warner's series has been terrible. The manner in which he has gotten out belies his bad attitude and inability to change his game to the conditions. Swiping at a half-volley without moving his feet in the opening over was just despicable; in previous Tests he's gotten out sweeping hastily, too. I know he's made a couple of half centuries, but these batting tracks are roads and we should be getting runs out of everyone. His attitude is a problem.

Hughes got a rough deal, but I doubt he'd have gone much further with that innings, he looked bogged down against spin. He's still a problem.

Henriques is terrible, shouldn't be playing. He's riding on credits earned from his batting in the first Test, but that's not fair. He has to be able to bat in the top 6 or be a frontline bowler. He's neither. Get him out of there.

Smith did his best, but Smith showed how bad his bowling is, meaning he has to be a top batsman to hold his spot. His 92 was good, but if he holds his spot, he needs to lift his average and score runs heavily, as he's not close to an all-rounder. If he can't average 40+, he can't stay. I don't hold high hopes for him doing this.

I thought Siddle's effort was fantastic; Starc bowls well at times, but goes missing for far too long. Doherty is pathetic, Lyon tried much harder but just isn't good enough to get Indians out in India.

We will be able to take 20 wickets in England. Pattinson, Siddle, Starc, Johnson, Bird, Hilfenhaus, Cummins, Hazlewood, Harris. Lyon will also bowl better with the bounce he should get from English pitches. I'm confident we can bowl them out, we just need to be able to score more than them (highly unlikely, at this stage).

To me, Clarke and Siddle are the only two members of the current XI who are certainties for the first Ashes Test.

• Like 1

Losing a Test after making 400 in the first innings is bad. Losing that Test in 4 days is pathetic. Our fight to the end masks that.

David Warner's series has been terrible. The manner in which he has gotten out belies his bad attitude and inability to change his game to the conditions. Swiping at a half-volley without moving his feet in the opening over was just despicable; in previous Tests he's gotten out sweeping hastily, too. I know he's made a couple of half centuries, but these batting tracks are roads and we should be getting runs out of everyone. His attitude is a problem.

Hughes got a rough deal, but I doubt he'd have gone much further with that innings, he looked bogged down against spin. He's still a problem.

Henriques is terrible, shouldn't be playing. He's riding on credits earned from his batting in the first Test, but that's not fair. He has to be able to bat in the top 6 or be a frontline bowler. He's neither. Get him out of there.

Smith did his best, but Smith showed how bad his bowling is, meaning he has to be a top batsman to hold his spot. His 92 was good, but if he holds his spot, he needs to lift his average and score runs heavily, as he's not close to an all-rounder. If he can't average 40+, he can't stay. I don't hold high hopes for him doing this.

I thought Siddle's effort was fantastic; Starc bowls well at times, but goes missing for far too long. Doherty is pathetic, Lyon tried much harder but just isn't good enough to get Indians out in India.

We will be able to take 20 wickets in England. Pattinson, Siddle, Starc, Johnson, Bird, Hilfenhaus, Cummins, Hazlewood, Harris. Lyon will also bowl better with the bounce he should get from English pitches. I'm confident we can bowl them out, we just need to be able to score more than them (highly unlikely, at this stage).

To me, Clarke and Siddle are the only two members of the current XI who are certainties for the first Ashes Test.

I think all the things you've stated are likely all from unfocused players.

I think there has been a major rift in the team, & it seems to me, to have arrived since around the time Punter retired. Maybe something to do with the leadership & the off field administration. And the way Punter & Hussey were handled toward the close of their careers.