Matthew might get Robert Warnock to Demons

Guest unstable punt

Looks like we will get him in the PSD, free of charge.

It will be a damn fine pickup, and he will slot straight into the number 1 ruck role.

I like the idea of Robbie Warnock coming over. Seems quality.

But I worry that we might not have pick 1 in the PSD.

It might be nice to offer Freo pick 40-something, just to be sure he's ours.

Given that they aren't even playing the guy, it's all they should expect, and he's quite entitled to walk if they aren't giving him opportunities in that team when he's shown he can do alright.

And then we'd still have the PSD pick for other uncontracteds... we'll see how it pans out.

Personally I have not heard Jeff White saying he will retire, and he's averaging career highs in stats, and is ranked 8th in hitouts per game in the league. So I dont see why everyone is in such a rush to pension him off. If we can get Warnock for a decent price, he'll be a great number 2 for a year or so to White before taking over the #1 spot.

Personally I have not heard Jeff White saying he will retire, and he's averaging career highs in stats, and is ranked 8th in hitouts per game in the league. So I dont see why everyone is in such a rush to pension him off. If we can get Warnock for a decent price, he'll be a great number 2 for a year or so to White before taking over the #1 spot.

Jeff White is what, 31 or 32?

He is useless at ruck contests. He has high stats cos he plays as a loose midfielder.

A replacement for him must be a top priority this October/November.

Guest unstable punt
Looks like we will get him in the PSD, free of charge.

It will be a damn fine pickup, and he will slot straight into the number 1 ruck role.

gotta be better than the 'russian'

I like the idea of getting him here, and i think we have plenty going for us to get him us. C'mon Matty, get your brother in Red and Blue!

It'll be like 1998 all over again when a young Jeff White joined Melbourne under the guidance of Jim Stynes. We had the transition from Stynes to White pretty well hopefully we can do the same just over a decade later. I really hope White hangs around for another year or two, his experience is invaluable for the next Melbourne ruckmen coming through.

I can't see Warnock being a cheap trade, there are lots of teams that rate him highly.

This would be the biggest recruiting coup since... John Meesen.

Come off it Nash. At least Warnock has something of a reputation (even if it is as a 'prospect') to precede him.

Come off it Nash. At least Warnock has something of a reputation (even if it is as a 'prospect') to precede him.

Meesen had a big reputation at under age level, considered equally as good if not better than Wood, and was taken at #8 in the national draft (ahead of Wood). If that's not a 'prospect' then I don't know what is. I haven't written Meesen off by any stretch, but I just have a hard time getting excited over recruiting raw ruckmen from other clubs, just because of how easy it is for a ruckman to turn out to be a dud.

I don't know what all the fuss over Warnock. Admittedly I have not seen him play, but he can't get a gig in the Freo side, and being a ruck "prospect" makes me nervous. He may well be the next Dean Cox, but what's to say he won't be the next Peter Street or Barry Brooks? They were both prospects too once.

The other thing is, how many rucks do we want to develop? Jamar, PJ and Meesen are all contracted for next year, and unlike many I'd be surprised if White retired. If we took Warnock as well, that'd be 5 ruckmen on our senior list, as well as whatever may be on the rookie list at the time (e.g. Spencer). That's up to 6 ruckmen we have to find positions for each week. Where would they all play? And how will that effect the rest of the dynamic of our list, considering they'd be taking valuable spots we'd need for smalls?

Guest MFC4Life
The other thing is, how many rucks do we want to develop? Jamar, PJ and Meesen are all contracted for next year, and unlike many I'd be surprised if White retired. If we took Warnock as well, that'd be 5 ruckmen on our senior list, as well as whatever may be on the rookie list at the time (e.g. Spencer). That's up to 6 ruckmen we have to find positions for each week. Where would they all play? And how will that effect the rest of the dynamic of our list, considering they'd be taking valuable spots we'd need for smalls?

Good call Nasher. Something would have to give. From what I have seen of Spencer he looks a likely type. There is no way we can have 6 ruckman.

IMO if a KPP or speedy midfielder was available these would take precedence over a ruckman. I very much doubt Jamar or Meesen would be released from their contracts and I doubt they would have any suitors anyway come trading time.

Meesen had a big reputation at under age level, considered equally as good if not better than Wood, and was taken at #8 in the national draft (ahead of Wood). If that's not a 'prospect' then I don't know what is. I haven't written Meesen off by any stretch, but I just have a hard time getting excited over recruiting raw ruckmen from other clubs, just because of how easy it is for a ruckman to turn out to be a dud.

I don't know what all the fuss over Warnock. Admittedly I have not seen him play, but he can't get a gig in the Freo side, and being a ruck "prospect" makes me nervous. He may well be the next Dean Cox, but what's to say he won't be the next Peter Street or Barry Brooks? They were both prospects too once.

My thoughts exactly!

1 year of an extra ruckman is no big deal. Spencer wouldn't have to be retained as a rookie and after 2009 there is a good chance White will retire and Jamar will not be on the list. P Johnson might even struggle to keep his place on the list.

Guest MFC4Life
1 year of an extra ruckman is no big deal. Spencer wouldn't have to be retained as a rookie and after 2009 there is a good chance White will retire and Jamar will not be on the list. P Johnson might even struggle to keep his place on the list.

With the wraps he's been getting Warnock wouldn't come unless he was guranteed to be 2nd ruckman at least .

There are a lot of other melbourne teams interested in him as well.

I like the idea of Warnock coming here but as others have mentioned it probbably can't happen due to the number of ruckmen we've already got, which is disappointing because I think Warnock will better than Jamar and Meesen. However if Holland retires (which is likely) then PJ may be groomed as a forward or defender rather than a ruckman.

disagree- i think i we need ruckman

by end of 2009----

White- retired

Jamar- delisted- he's not good. theres a reason y he got dropped this week. he averages like 5 possies a game!

Spenser- history shows he'll most likely be delisted.

Meesen- who knows. atm could go either way. could easily end up as nothing

So, we'll have:

P.J- not a number 1 ruckman. most likely to be a B.Holland type forward who rucks 5min a qtr

so, i think ppl who stop thinking about 2009 season, rather start thinking about 2010!

if we start looking to the future now, our 2010 ruck division could be:

R.Warnock

Naitanui

P.Johnson

now that's a 10yr ruck division.

In his 2 years at Adelaide, Meesen did nothing to build up his reputation. He played two very anonymous senior games and languished at Adelaide's twos for much of that time. I suppose it wasn't obvious to us as we'd never even mentioned him before, but Adelaide supporters were probably all too aware that he was more of an athlete than a ruckman.

Conversely, Warnock played 12 games in his first season and won Freo's best new talent award. Not that Freo are particularly talented, I concede, but its substantially more than Meesen achieved prior to coming to the Dees. I would suggest that on the balance of things Warnock is a much more promising ruckman than Meesen (although like you I do not wish to write off Meesen on less than half a season). Time will tell of course, but I'm willing to wager that Warnock will achieve more in his career.

As for too many ruckmen; how many of them are actually valid ruck options?

Johnson is decent around the ground but not so great (solid) at the actual ruck contest. Not a number 1 ruckman, more a backup who can do some good work forward or back when he's not in the middle.

Jamar... well.

Meesen is an athlete first and a footballer second.

White is in the twilight of his career. If he doesn't punch out this year it will be next year.

Spencer is a rookie, and ala Brendan van Schaik and countless rookie ruckman before him, will have to do more to get himself a permanent gig.

Of those 5, I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 or even 3 gone next year, depending on Whitey's decision.

We need a good ruckman. If all we have to sacrifice is pick 20-something (in a trade), or pick 1 in the pre-season draft for a 205cm 21-year old with a growing reputation then I'm all for it.

Get a grip. 8th in league for hit outs!

Good grief. :lol:

Exactly. Only 8th. Since when is average an acceptable standard? Average doesnt win flags.

Aside from that at his age he is only useful if we're in flag contention. We should get rid of him and Jamar if we are able.

Warnock is worth the punt if the price is right. I wouldnt read too much into him not getting a gig at Freo when he's competing with Sandilands. Would much prefer taking punts with low draft picks / PSD / Rookies than potentially wasting high draft picks, rucks are to hit and miss.

Exactly. Only 8th. Since when is average an acceptable standard? Average doesnt win flags.

Aside from that at his age he is only useful if we're in flag contention. We should get rid of him and Jamar if we are able.

Warnock is worth the punt if the price is right. I wouldnt read too much into him not getting a gig at Freo when he's competing with Sandilands. Would much prefer taking punts with low draft picks / PSD / Rookies than potentially wasting high draft picks, rucks are to hit and miss.

I think credit should be given to White, he has had a better year than most of his teammates.

I've heard contradictory things about his retirement and with that in mind it is difficult to know what he is going to do.

I do know that before the Fremantle game, Jeff was becoming increasingly depressed about his career peetering out after 04, 05, and 06 promised so much.

If we get Warnock, Sepncer is retained on the RL, and Jeff goes on for another year we will have: PJ, Jamar, White, Meesen, Spencer, and Warnock. PJ, White, and Meesen as mobile rucks and Jamar, Spencer, and Warnock as pure tap ruckman without use around the ground.

With that in mind, Jamar would find it hard to be retained although I believe he is contracted for next year. You can only afford to have one Sandilands type ruck in the team so Warnock and rookie Spencer seems to be the way to go.