Selection v St Kilda

Gouga

Yze is a very natural leading forward out of the goalsquare, would fill the role very easily if required, the one thing that hasnt disappated from his game is his one-on-one ability in those situations, he'll bo OK and should come in. Green should not play forward he is too valuable helping the defence at the moment as a loosey or ceovering from the midfield.

My side would be

B: Bartram Warnock Garland

HB: Sylvia Rivers Bell

C: Green Moloney Bruce

HF: Davey Miller Bate

F: Holland Yze Wonaeamirri

Foll: White McLean

Rov: Jones

I/c: P.Johnson Buckley McDonald, Morton

Em: C.Johnson, Jamar, Frawley

I think Bell lives to play on Schneider, but he is a limited footballer and would be close to the axe. Bartram for Milne. Warnock v Kosckitzke and Rivers or Garland v Riewoldt probly. Wouldnt mind if Garland was given a lesser opponent, wouldnt want him to lose momentum by getting thrashed by a Riewoldt. I think we will be stretched defensively this week.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just fail to see what Sandy can do for him at this point. Morton is far above that level of football. He seems neither tired or jaded. How can an 18yo kid not be excited to play senior AFL every week? The Adelaide game prooved this. For the first time he played with a bit of swagger, a bit of cockiness. A goal off one step from 55 metres out and that pass to Bruce were indicative of this. I want him to play 350 games for the club.

Here Here

I agree Bruce's disposal can hurt us at times but his ability to win the contested ball is to important.

HA! contested ball, are you serious??

Buckley continued to butcher the ball yesterday which was soooo frustrating, along with bruce but i guess the only way to learn is to keep playing him

i think CTD summed it up, although i hope holland isnt injured and makes sylvia earn his spot

B: GARLAND, WARNOCK, BELL

HB: BUCKLEY, RIVERS, GREEN

C: DAVEY, MCLEAN, BRUCE

HF: BATE, MILLER, MOLONEY

F: HOLLAND, ROBERTSON, WONAEAMIRRI

FOLL: JAMAR, JONES, MCDONALD

IC: MORTON, VALENTI, WHEATLEY, WHITE

EMERG: P.JOHNSON, YZE, C.JOHNSON

I haven't read a Sandy report yet so I'm not sure how Whelan and Sylvia played. If they were in the best they probably would be in my team until they are I don't think they should be in.

MATCHUPS

BELL V MILNE

WANROCK V KOSITCHKE

GARLAND V RIEWOLDT

Sylvia kicked 2 goals for Sandy, so he should be a chance.

Be bad luck if Holland and Robbo both miss.

I'd love to see Sylvia doing the kick ins. Belly certainly isn't the answer here ... too indecisive, and doesn't have the pin-point disposal needed for this task.

I'd love to see Sylvia doing the kick ins. Belly certainly isn't the answer here ... too indecisive, and doesn't have the pin-point disposal needed for this task.

are you talking from a booming kick point of view? if wheatley returns he must now be anointed the go to kick in guy. bell's decision making lacks poise and I only breathe a sigh of relief when he kicks to the dead pocket. When he aims for someone in the corridor, it's sphincter tightening stuff......

HA! contested ball, are you serious??

To bring some perspective to the matter in terms of contested possessions 08, I make it:

1. McLean (66)

2. Jones (54)

3. Bruce (51)

3. Green (51)

3. McDonald (51)

4. White (50)

5. Davey (43)

Re: Bell vs. Sylvia on accurate kick-ins, if it helps to consider efficiency of disposal for players who have played 5+ games, I make it:

1. Carroll (84.04%)

2. Rivers (83.61%)

3. Frawley (83.33%)

4. Bell (80.42%)

5. Wheatley (79.61%)

9. Sylvia (77.53%)

The downside for Bell as designated kicker-innerer may lie in clangers:

1. McLean (30)

2. Jones (29)

3. Moloney (27)

4. Bell (26)

5. Green (24)

5. Bartram (24)

10. Sylvia (16)

Bear in mind that Bell has played 9 games, Sylvia 5.

If Bell is dropped for his skills, how does Bruce go? Why drop a 22 year old for a 31 year old? Jamar out before Bell i think, need White in

I get sick of comments like that about Bruce

Have a good look at the replay and count how many kicks hit the target. there were many correct disposals.

His problem is that when he makes a mistake its a big one so everyone remembers it.

He is our co captain and therefore needs our support not comments like yours.

Watch the replay, and think about my comment.

It was in response to someone saying Bell should be dropped BECAUSE of his disposal. He delivered at 80%. Bruce had 8 kicks and i can remember 3 not hitting a target, delivering at 84%. He had at least 3 handballs in the first half that 'hit' their target, but also put his teammate udner pressure.

People have to stop the blind following of Bruce, especially when it impairs their ability to respond to an argument. I was not saying Bruce should be dropped, but i think an argument that Bell should be dropped for his "poor disposal" is a ridiculous position if you then wish to keep playing Bruce. So far this season, Bell has delivered at 81%, Bruce at 76

I think Bruce has been playing very well this year, but used him as a response to the rationale for dropping Bell.

are you talking from a booming kick point of view? if wheatley returns he must now be anointed the go to kick in guy. bell's decision making lacks poise and I only breathe a sigh of relief when he kicks to the dead pocket. When he aims for someone in the corridor, it's sphincter tightening stuff......

Agree with you about Wheater's kick ins, but I'd love for him to be given more time up near the middle, where his booming kicks into the forward line could be even more damaging to the opposition.

Let's not forget that Hawthorn plays a specific zoning tactic whereby we're forced more often than not into going to the boundary first up. Still, Bell sholdn't be taking kick ins.

Bruce had his best game of the year for mine on Sunday, and it coincided with 26 touches and 10 contested possessions.

But how has he gone compared to others this year in that area?

Comparable wingers/midfielders in bold.

McLean 71 contested possessions out of 220 disposals (32.3%)

Jones 54 of 173 (31.2%)

Green 51 of 206 (24.7%)

Bruce 51 of 201 (25.3%)

Macca 51 of 166 (30.7%)

White 50 of 161

Davey 45 of 137 (32.8%)

Robertson 36 of 113

Jamar 35 of 46

Bell 32 of 143

Wonna 32 of 96

Miller 31 of 107

Batram 31 of 108 (28.7%)

Moloney 29 of 135 (21.5%)

Morton 29 of 139 (20.9%)

Bruce has maintained his percentage contested possessions since earlier in the season but the real fall is from McLean who was hovering in the high thirties and now is down to 32%, same with Jones who was close to 40%.

Big suprise with Davey (included because he spends more and more time on the wing) getting the highest contested possessions percentage and Moloney getting near 1 in 5 possessions being contested.

AFL comparison: Judd - 48%, Foley - 41%, Tuck - 39%, Joel Selwood - 37%, and Ablett - 36.5%.

McLean 71 contested possessions out of 260 disposals (27.3%)

Where are you getting your stats from rpfc?

From the MFC website, I make McLean 66 contested possessions out of 220 disposals (30.0%), but math was never my strong point.

Yze is a very natural leading forward out of the goalsquare, would fill the role very easily if required, the one thing that hasnt disappated from his game is his one-on-one ability in those situations, he'll bo OK and should come in. Green should not play forward he is too valuable helping the defence at the moment as a loosey or ceovering from the midfield.

I hear what you're saying about Green, and maybe you're right, but can we not achieve the same result up forward by playing Sylvia out of the goal square? At least he'd give the Saints' defenders a physical contest, plus he is a better overhead mark.

I just cannot justify bringing in someone who is past his use by date when we have younger options available. And although Dutchy was very productive on Sunday, I still can't see any benefit in playing him for the long term. It's not as if winning games is the key here.

Where are you getting your stats from rpfc?

From the MFC website, I make McLean 66 contested possessions out of 220 disposals (30.0%), but math was never my strong point.

Whoops, 71 from 220. Stats from MFC site. Which is champion data I believe...

I hear what you're saying about Green, and maybe you're right, but can we not achieve the same result up forward by playing Sylvia out of the goal square? At least he'd give the Saints' defenders a physical contest, plus he is a better overhead mark.

I just cannot justify bringing in someone who is past his use by date when we have younger options available. And although Dutchy was very productive on Sunday, I still can't see any benefit in playing him for the long term. It's not as if winning games is the key here.

Exactly. When the focus of the year is on getting games into kids and learning a new gameplan which Yze will not be around to execute, why would he get a guernsey?

Doubtless I've now assured Yze's place in the starting 18.

Holland is useful in bringing the ball to ground to give Wonaeamirri and others experience in how to gather the loose ball and kick a goal. But I agree that usefulness is short-term. Still, he's a reliable warrior who'll happily perform his role.

Exactly. When the focus of the year is on getting games into kids and learning a new gameplan which Yze will not be around to execute, why would he get a guernsey?

Doubtless I've now assured Yze's place in the starting 18.

Holland is useful in bringing the ball to ground to give Wonaeamirri and others experience in how to gather the loose ball and kick a goal. But I agree that usefulness is short-term. Still, he's a reliable warrior who'll happily perform his role.

We have a youth policy in full swing, so I am relatively happy to see Yze and Holland back in the reckoning if they earn a place with their form.

17 players on Sunday were 24 or younger.

That says a lot.

We have a youth policy in full swing, so I am relatively happy to see Yze and Holland back in the reckoning if they earn a place with their form.

17 players on Sunday were 24 or younger.

That says a lot.

Without Neitz we needed another tall forward capable of taking a contested mark to allow Robbo some space to compete one out rather being double teamed. If Benny doesn't come up then Yze is another option to play a Brad Johnson type role. If Robbo doesn't come up then our forward line is going to start to look pretty thin. I'd prefer Green off halfback, but if Jared comes back in, this may release him to go forward.

To bring some perspective to the matter in terms of contested possessions 08, I make it:

1. McLean (66)

2. Jones (54)

3. Bruce (51)

as always stats can be decieving, sure he gets 'contested possesions' but if you watch (almost) any game again (i would but its uni assignment time) you will see him flinch, dodge or get a quick handball to a team mate under more pressure* when it is his turn to take a hit then get the hands or force a ball up so we can get more numbers to the contest...

* i bet these possesions would count as contested and bump up his actual stats...

as always stats can be decieving,

No they aren't - but the interpretation of them can be.

In - Sylvia, White, Rivers

Out - Robertson, (inj) Holland (inj), Jamar

B - Bell Warnock Garland

HB - Bartram Rivers Buckley

C - Davey Jones Morton

HF - Woneaemirri Miller Bate

F - P.Johnson Green Sylvia

R - White McLean Moloney

Bruce gets 1 last chance. Another game full of turnovers and its back to Sandy.

Jamar out for White, easy choice.

Rivers and Sylvia back to give a boost.

On paper, the forward line looks dangerous and versatile. Lets hope they get plenty of supply.