Umpiring Decisions

MrMoose

I was at the game with a Dork supporter who was even more bemused (and confused) about a few decisions that went against the Demons today.

Interested to know others 'un-biased' opinion.

1. Free kick against Jamar at centre bounce where opposition ruckman stopped and just stood in the middle of the ircle, Jamar jumps over him and gets tunnelled, but as he comes down apparently connects with the head/neck of other rckmen and gets called for 'too high'.

2. The 50m (More like 75m) penalty against Flash on the southern side wing - from which the dorks kicked a goal.

3. The tackle by Flash in front of our goals in the last quarter - easy 'holding the ball' decision, but not paid.

Interested in others opinions - especially the 50m, as I was yelling too hard at the 'green maggots' and didn't see a replay.

Each othese decisions cost us goals.

Moose

The 50mtr penalty against Flash was warranted - he may even be cited. Totally took his eye off the football. However, the most generous 50mts I've ever seen.

The tackle by Davey in the last that was paid as a push was an embarassment to the umpiring fraternity. The umpires inability to pay holding the ball all day was extremely frustrating. Umpire 26 & umpire 5 should be sent to the Alberton League to umpire the 2nds!

50m was warranted. Especially once I saw the replay at home. Should be no further case to answer though (although he left the ground to bump).

That ruck free kick was a joke.

The holding the ball (called a push) goes against everything this game stands for. Not sure it cost us the game, but it cost us any chance of winning from then on!

What about the in-the-back that went to Williams, that was garbage. The bloke has always been a diver, runs toward the ball the purposely falls so defenders crash over the top of him.

But in this inbsance, our bloke (might have been Bell) didn't even touch him

Absolute garbage

On the holding the ball one there was an instance in the first half where a Hawthorn player clearly dragged the ball in, made no attempt to clear the ball but it was paid as a ball up

The 50 metres against Davey was essentially 80 metres, a certain goal which changed the whole momentum from then on. The umpire seemed very keen to make Davey pay, I felt.

Davey's tackle in front of goal should have been a certain holding-the-ball and goal to us. Instead, paid in the back to them. Totally inept umpiring and blatantly unfair however you look at it.

All day, we tackled extremely well I thought, but invariably the umpires gave the Tassie Hawkers all the time in the world to get rid of the ball. Often it was laughable, the Hawk player being swung around and around until he could pick out a team mate to hand the ball off to. But it was different when a Hawker tackled one of ours, the men in green were very quick to reward Hawthorn tackles.

Seems the Tassie Hawks know the finer details of tackling but our lot are missing some mystical intricacies of the technique (that's crude irony, incidentally).

What about the free paid to Williams in the last qtr, on the 50 metre arc from which he goaled? I haven't seen the replay and at the time I was too upset. It seemed a fair effort to spoil (by Frawley), was the free kick there (by any other umpires on any other day)?

The offending umpire today was the one in green (another attempt at irony, I thought they were all at times poor). Whether biased is the right word or not, we definitely copped the worst of an incompetent display (even the Hawks fan next to me admitted that). And the umpiring 'mistakes' cost us dearly.

Every other profession in life is accountable for their performance and mistakes. How come umpires are untouchable and unaccountable?

The tackle by Davey in the last that was paid as a push was an embarassment to the umpiring fraternity. The umpires inability to pay holding the ball all day was extremely frustrating. Umpire 26 & umpire 5 should be sent to the Alberton League to umpire the 2nds!

I thought that was the correct decision after watching the replay. Unfortuntly the tackle was smack bang in the back.

At the time I nearly popped a blood vessal.

What about the free paid to Williams in the last qtr, on the 50 metre arc from which he goaled? I haven't seen the replay and at the time I was too upset. It seemed a fair effort to spoil (by Frawley), was the free kick there (by any other umpires on any other day)?

Forgot about that one! Even the Tasmanian Dork supporters shook ther heads in disbelief at that one!

I know we all get a bit one-sided about bad decisions, but ge we got the rough end of the stick numerous times today.

I thought you either had to handball or kick the ball for it to be a fair disposal.

Shame, spoiled what was a great game of footy.

Moose

It didn't cost us, but it's still annoys me that it left me thinking 'what if' more than 'well done.' Shocking decisions in the last quarter, one for Williams was probably the worst

that davey one was 50/50... i haven't seen a replay of the game on tv, and it's harder to judge when you're at the game, but I thought generally we got a slightly better run with the umps than hawthorn did... there may have been more critical decisions which influenced the game more than others, but generally i thought we got a better run... could be attributed to going harder at the ball?

then there was the kicking out fiasco where two or three times in a row we cleared but the umpire called the point kickout back??was he just waiting for the hawks to man up or what???

how much did he have on them?

and as for davey being citied lol hmm your on better drugs than me...

before the guy took possesion of the ball davey was in the air to bump him.. clearly has to be in the field of play possible push in the back free kick (maybe) but thats it...they showed the replay twice..

I thought that was the correct decision after watching the replay. Unfortuntly the tackle was smack bang in the back.

True, but I've seen worse paid. One against Miller at the Phone Dome 2-3 years ago comes to mind.

Continuing on the what if theme, how about Brock's holding the ball in the last 1/4?

The 50mtr penalty against Flash was warranted -

Watching the game live, I thought Davey's late bump was justified and unavoidable...it was only very slightly late. Seeing the replay, I now admit it was worth 50(not 75).

Davey's tackle in front of goal in Q4 , I would describe as a "clanger" by Flash. He was in the desirable position of being directly behind a big, slow-moving opponent who'd just received the ball. He should have pinned an arm while pulling him to one side . He just jumped on his back....a silly error..

I know players tackled from behind do their best to fall forward simulating" in the back", but Flash should have done better. We may have won if he had.

The Umps were consistently generous in allowing players ages to dispose when tackled, but overall, I thought Hawthorn fared better in their judgments on this decision.

It didn't cost us, but it's still annoys me that it left me thinking 'what if' more than 'well done.' Shocking decisions in the last quarter, one for Williams was probably the worst

It did cost us, it ripped out blokes guts out and made them feel like "why bother?"

I saw no guts on the ground, and at no stage did I see players stop tackling or trying because of it, so i hardly see how they said "why bother"

Furthermore, Davey's tackle was in the back, and whilst Williams' free at the end shouldn't have been paid, we'd still have been 12 points time with not enough time. We weren't going to win when Hawthorn ran over us, it wasn't the umpires fault. Watch the game again, we got a lot of iffy frees to, not to mention a lot were let go. Move on and enjoy the amount of pressure we put on

Davey's tackle in front of goal should have been a certain holding-the-ball and goal to us. Instead, paid in the back to them. Totally inept umpiring and blatantly unfair however you look at it.

The correct decision was made.

A push in the back is always a push in the back. Davey made no attempt to roll the player over, as hard as it would have been.

One i'll say that hurt, as much as our own fault, was towards the end of the third. (i thought we tired toward the end of the last 3 quarters) But towards the end we went out by 13. PJ had a chance to put us 19 up, missed, then Bell but put it on the full. We had the ball but didn't do enough with it. Hawks went forward, Roughead should've been done for holding the ball but wasn't, Rioli goaled and completely shifted the momentum

Continuing on the what if theme, how about Brock's holding the ball in the last 1/4?

It was right in front of me and I assessed it as holding the ball (by the current rules). However, if that was paid (as it was), how can those umpires come away feeling they've done a good job and been consistent with all those Demon tackles that went far longer than the Brock one yet were unpaid? When a Tassie Hawks player is swung completely around once or sometimes even onto the second time, and is allowed to hand the ball off to another Hacks player without being pinged, something is very wrong.

Brockie is such a good player, why does he do that??

And, why aren't umpires accountable for such bad performances? It ruins a game, the best games are where you haven't even noticed the umpires. There's something rotten in the state of Denmark (read Umpireland)!

The 50m penalty to Davey was shocking: 60-70 metres, and was centred. The free kick was on the wing, Davey then stood almost on the goal square.

Franklin's tackle on Wonna without the ball was an appalling miss, but only narrowly worse than the in the back that should have been holding the ball.

Here's another one that was much harder to pay: Campbell Brown deliberately handballing out of bounds twice in the final quarter. Just thought that the umpires were too scared to pay it.

The correct decision was made.

A push in the back is always a push in the back. Davey made no attempt to roll the player over, as hard as it would have been.

From today's Age:

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfmatchre...1653849536.html

While fate would not shine on Neitz — or Aaron Davey, who in the 19th minute was denied an obvious free kick in front of goal that would have got the Demons back to within a single kick — it would on Hawthorn's Aboriginal players, who together fittingly sealed the indigenous-round game.

Bailey on the umpiring:

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/melb...1653849539.html

Hawthorn was 12 points up at the 19-minute mark of the tight final term when Davey slung Hawk debutant Jarryd Morton to ground in what appeared a textbook example of a player being caught holding the ball. But instead of winning a free kick 30 metres out and directly in front of Melbourne's goal — a conversion that would have reduced the margin to a straight kick — Davey was penalised for a push in the back.

"(If) a couple of things may have gone our way we might have even been a lot closer at the end," Bailey said.

When asked about the Davey-Morton incident, Bailey said: "I thought we tackled really well all day and didn't get rewarded … I've got no doubt.

"It's a bit soon after the game to give you an exact figure (on how many were un rewarded) …180s, 360s, 720 (degree spins) occurred and I thought they would have been rewarded, but obviously they weren't, so we need to look at our tackling."

The 50m penalty to Davey was shocking: 60-70 metres

It was 80 metres.

Here's another one that was much harder to pay: Campbell Brown deliberately handballing out of bounds twice in the final quarter. Just thought that the umpires were too scared to pay it.

I saw those too.

Thing is, the standard of umpiring was poor. Both ways. But the bad decisions we got cost us. And the inconsistencies in regard to holding the ball were too one-sided.

davey tackled morton, the ball was then dropped, then the in the back... so technically wasnt the holding the ball the first decision and then the in the back?

i just do not understand the rules of the game, especially when you go each week and they change??

watched the replay as well - the davey 50 metre was definitely there... however, the treatment that he received from that scumbag in osborne was verging on rape!! he may be related to crowley or josh carr but honestly, he would be the worst player to win a premiership!!

the buddy tackle on aussie, well... matthew james would have been the umpire for sure and as we know, he enjoys a good time.....