• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Umpires in Crows game ...

Surfa

Is it just me or did we get a rough deal by the umpires and also how crap they where in general...for both sides?

I know its hard to recruit them i can never understand why they dont get former players.. but anyway i was disgusted with them in the second quarter.. and the compares dont say boo anymore. its like they make really bad mistakes and dont get pulled up. i think we were trying hard and then the umpires stepped in and after that bang we kinda gave up.. its hard enough to beat the crows over there without the umpires being fair..was it due to there crowd support? and if so will we ever be able to put that kinda pressure on the umpires.

I have been a demon for 30 years and besides the late 80's we have never pulled huge crowds...how much would this club have benifited from sheeds.. how many players, supporters , sponser would follow this man?? and what does bailey bring to the table ?? sorry for the convoluted question

It's Adelaide, the umpires are colour blind to every team that crosses the border.

Seen it so much now i'm almost used to it........almost.

yup kinda like the ones in perth that cant see any red... just blue and yellow lol

Yeah they were very ordinary on Sunday. Not saying that from a sore loser point of view but the standard was just terrible, can't think of all the instances off the top of my head now but the one that stands out is when a crow player dived into Moloney's back on our 50 pushing forward and it was ignored and the ball rebounded down the other end for a goal. It's the sort of thing that just guts you when your team is struggling.

umpires hav and been crap for about 2 years....

too many rules are being changed and new rules added....

but the people in charge of the umpires are tellin them to focus on particular aspects and other areas are being neglected

Kicking in Danger - you have to kick the player to be awarded a free kick

Dropping the ball - umpires never pay this rule! sure the ball "spills out in the contest" but not every dam time

Shepparding in marking contest - does this rule still exist?

the umps need to be trained better and managed better....

How dodgey was the Jamar decision when he was rucking in the throw-in in the Crows forward 50?! Sure, he caught the ball but he had it for maybe 0.20 of a second and then he was ridden straight into the turf face down only to be paid a free kick against him for holding the fricken ball - so glad the Crows dude missed the goal otherwise I would've probably put a hole in my tv lol

Did Umpire said Play on or was he waving his hands for nothing.. cos i dont know why Jeff white got caught holding the ball

The umpire did wave play on in that incident and it was a genuine holding the ball decision albeit rather embarrassing for Jeff White. However, the umpiring was genuinely bad on Sunday and we were generally the victims of their poor umpiring. The statistics show the Crows had double the frees but if you watched the game on tv the commentary gives away the fact that most of the bad decisions went in favour of the Crows and against us. Early in the game they got a couple of goals from frees and then late in the first quarter with less than two minutes to go, the Crows got two questionable ones at each centre bounce that enabled them to stretch the lead from 9 points to 21 points. After that the errors continued to come. They missed some obvious ones for us and gave some questionable ones to them and I'd say they cost us about 5 goals by half time.

Because he had the mark that counted as his prior opportunity. So as soon as play on is called for taking to long, if he hasn't correctly disposed of it (which he didnt) it's holding the ball. Every time

umpires hav and been crap for about 2 years....

too many rules are being changed and new rules added....

but the people in charge of the umpires are tellin them to focus on particular aspects and other areas are being neglected

Kicking in Danger - you have to kick the player to be awarded a free kick

Dropping the ball - umpires never pay this rule! sure the ball "spills out in the contest" but not every dam time

Shepparding in marking contest - does this rule still exist?

the umps need to be trained better and managed better....

shepparding in a marking contest does still exist, it was payed against us on sunday :S what i cant believe is that players are now trained to jump behind other players trying to makr with their arms out to sheppard the contests but umpires dont pick that up. surely the contested mark is a skill the afl wants to see more of in the game, not uncontested marks.

fwiw when frawley was sheparded 50 metres off the ball to prevent him from chasing his man on the lead the commentators said 'what a great block'. obviously they dont know that it is illegal to sheppard from 50 meters away, or that it is illegal to prevent a player from contesting a mark.

How dodgey was the Jamar decision when he was rucking in the throw-in in the Crows forward 50?! Sure, he caught the ball but he had it for maybe 0.20 of a second and then he was ridden straight into the turf face down only to be paid a free kick against him for holding the fricken ball - so glad the Crows dude missed the goal otherwise I would've probably put a hole in my tv lol

grabbing the ball out of the ruck constitutes prior oppertunity. from that aspect the umps were correct. however the tackle needs to be legitiment - so the in the back free kick should have taken precedence.

Did Umpire said Play on or was he waving his hands for nothing.. cos i dont know why Jeff white got caught holding the ball

jeff white was called to play on, his team mates should have warned him. HOWEVER: i dont believe the adelaide player was 5 meters away from jeff when the play on call was made, in which case it should have been 50 meters for encroaching the protected zone.

apparently umpires dont pay 50 meters for stepping over the mark, getting too close to a player or running across the mark, and likewise they hardly call play on if a player goes sideways when going back behind the mark.

Id contest that Jamar never had control of the ball and therefore was not in posession of the ball, meaning he did not grab it out of the ruck. As for the "tackle" on him, that's another story

Id contest that Jamar never had control of the ball and therefore was not in posession of the ball, meaning he did not grab it out of the ruck. As for the "tackle" on him, that's another story

that is a fair argument as well RE did he have control. but he certainly didnt 'tap' or 'punch' it. he did try and grab it. either way, the tackle was not correct so should have been his free kick.

whew i was worried that i was turning one eyed lol i have always believed i am fair of everyone when making a call.. so it is good to know i wasnt just imagineing it ..everyone is to scared to say boo anymore about the umpiring...well done to deanox.. very informative post dude.. they where my main issues all sorted.. that and the fact the umpires started blewing the whistle for adel marks b4 they actually got the ball lol and that dubious 50 for the push in the back against morton i think then later in hte game someone took a mark(brucey) and got dumped a few seconds after and nothing... bad decision can be put up with solong as they are consistant..and equal rights.. but how often does one team get singled out..or one player.. it is obvious that umpires have favoutrites..dont think there is a way around it lol

Someone has to rip into the umpires when teams play interstate. Umpires are continually paying\not paying free kicks to be the good guys so they don't get abused. You know you are coping a raw deal when the home team supporters boo about once for the entire game when the umpire makes a decision.

" umpires dont pay 50 meters for stepping over the mark, getting too close to a player or running across the mark, and likewise they hardly call play on if a player goes sideways when going back behind the mark."

Spot on, Deanox. And that makes it a 100m. error by the ump. If an opponent is less than 5m. away when he calls play on, it should have been 50m. to the player with the ball. I've preached this a number of times before on thuis forum.

If an opponent is less than 5m. away when he calls play on, it should have been 50m. to the player with the ball. I've preached this a number of times before on thuis forum.

Unless the opponent is validly there (ie. within the allowed distance of his opponent).

Otherwise I agree wholeheartedly.

Maybe instead of sponsering a melbourne player we should sponser a umpire.. get him on our side lol they probably take slings..... i wonder if the umpires drive lexus's lol

The Statsman in Inside Football has picked up on the umpiring in this game. I don't think he's a Demons supporter but he had this to say:

"Umpire Gary Fila was Adelaide's best player on Sunday. Take those Crow goggles off Gaz!"

This prompted me to do a little research on this umpire who I'd never heard of before the game and I discovered this:

"Gary Fila (born 18 November 1981) is Australian rules football field umpire in the Australian Football League. Prior to joining the senior list, he umpired in the South Australian National Football League, and officiated in both the 2005 and 2006 SANFL grand finals."

SA umpire, hometown crowd and some dud decisions. Nothing in that is there?