Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Saving the MFC

Redleg

Lets not discuss moving, merging etc but rather how this club is to be saved. The AFL says we are a meaningless brand and we must address that. I will put my thoughts in point form for convenience.

1. We must build our membership. A membership of 30000 plus, is a significant one in this city and that should be the minimum aim. To get there, every and I repeat every member from last year (10000) who hasn't re-signed should be rung, visited or spoken to, to ensure they take out membership. The players and directors should be involved in this activity. All Melbourne members should be asked to find another supporter to sign on as a member.

2. All Directors should pledge to find a sponsor of at least $50000.00 or raise that amount in any way they see fit, raffle, function, begging whatever.

3. All members should make it their business to attend as many games as possible and invite other family, friends or supporters to attend with them to convert new members and to boost attendances.

4. When at games Melbourne people should use their voices to cheer the team and show disapproval at poor umpiring to give us some presence and lift the players with support like the Pies do.

5. The Board should search for a "Ron Walker type" who is a wealthy, intelligent, well connected person to lead the club.

6. Each board member should re-examine their own position and contribution and place their seat in the hands of the new President to either keep them on the Board or be replaced by a better credentialled candidate.

7. The new Board should be workers who are there for the club and have special skills that can assist the club.

8. The new CEO should be given full support and should have at least 1-2 Directors and maybe even an injured player with him every time he makes a pitch for Sponsorship.

9. The Coach should be given full support by the Board and told to do whatever is needed to get a good side as soon as possible on the ground playing good hard football.

10. The members should accept pain while the footy department rebuilds the list/team.

11. Lovers of the MFC should get behind the club now, when they are needed most and stop the crap " we are finished talk" and instead look positively to the future, when our club will be successful both on and off the ground.

The above will all help to re-establish the meaningful brand that the AFL speaks about.

Feel free to add your own suggestions.

Great post

Stop complaining and start doing!!!

Top-of-town and grass-roots suggestions

TOP OF TOWN

Next year...starting in February for [these contracts run for 12 weeks], MFC adorned tram that runs on route through Collins St, thereby consistently getting the message across to GET ON BOARD to a large segment of our supporter base who are wealthy enough but from my own experiences too rarely are financial members of the MFC.

Have sponsors pay for it. Give sponsors value by highlighting on the tram's sidings that they are on board and support the MFC.

TOP OF TOWN

Get the club on TV and hence give sponsors value. Move our crappy Sunday games against WA or SA teams to Monday Night at the G with the MFC

GRASS ROOTS

Get the Auskick numbers up...one initiative - hold pre-game Auskick clinics on the G before the game. Much like Frosty Miller did on Sunday. Kids can get involved by entering via a ballot system on our club website. And hopefully when the Bubble Dome is ready we wiill be in the position to bus schoolkids in so they can meet the players and talk about fitness & nutrition as well as being put through some training drills etc.

Get our fair share of exposure on the footy show...we rarely seem to be involved.

Get our junior supporters packs out early and make them good. You can cut costs by paring back what senior members get - we're rusted on.

More ownership of the G...if your going to bombard me with rock music prior to proceedings then at least play the Rolling Stones "Sympathy for the Devil"...but don't put on Cliff Richard's "Devil Woman" or I will find you and terminate with extreme prejudice.

Get the club on TV and hence give sponsors value. Move our crappy Sunday games against WA or SA teams to Monday Night at the G with the MFC

I do a "Business of Sport" subject at uni and today we were analysing the NFL. Pretty much all the NFL games are played on a Sunday and one game is played on a Monday night. Anyway, I was thinking that maybe Melbourne could try and embark on the Monday night football as North Melbourne did with Friday night football.

The logistics of it all with TV rights etc. I don't know, but just a thought.

The logistics of it all with TV rights etc. I don't know, but just a thought.
Seems like Monday nights won't happen until the new rights deal commences.

That said, if we try and pioneer Monday night footy and it succeeds, it'll go the same way as the Kangaroos and Friday nights - we won't be able to keep a strangehold on Mondays.

Furthermore, Monday's a terrible night to get a decent attendance, and we may alienate some of our existing members. Of course, the flip side is that MFC vs Freo, Port, etc get relatively poor crowds anyway, as you've pointed out.

That said, if we try and pioneer Monday night footy and it succeeds, it'll go the same way as the Kangaroos and Friday nights - we won't be able to keep a strangehold on Mondays.

Furthermore, Monday's a terrible night to get a decent attendance, and we may alienate some of our existing members. Of course, the flip side is that MFC vs Freo, Port, etc get relatively poor crowds anyway, as you've pointed out.

The truth is we won't know until we try, some people will of course loathe it, but then others may love it because from an entertainment perspective Monday night gives you bugger all competition as opposed to "working families" [sorry Kevin Rudd couldn't resist it] busy weekend schedules. And yes, the more successful it is the harder it will be to hang on to.

The thing to realise too is that in most major sporting leagues (NFL, EPL, MLB etc.) it's all about TV revenue. Gate receipts are good, but the big bucks are in the TV rights deals and that's where the teams make their money.

The problem for Melbourne (and the AFL in general) is that they are still reliant on bums on seats. Not that getting people to games is a bad thing.

Well done to all the positive people looking for ways to help. Never before has the MFC needed us, its great supporters to hang tough and support them.
A few of us were wondering about a town hall meeting--yes, in the Melbourne Town Hall--as a demonstration of support. Not to knock or destabilise, but to show support. The coach is appointed, so is the CEO-not a bit of value to start criticising them.As to the Board, we elected them, they're volunteers going through hell, I imagine, for no reward whatever. I believe a new president will emerge from all of this.
Any reaction to the idea of a full-scale meeting to show support?
The truth is we won't know until we try, some people will of course loathe it, but then others may love it because from an entertainment perspective Monday night gives you bugger all competition as opposed to "working families" [sorry Kevin Rudd couldn't resist it] busy weekend schedules. And yes, the more successful it is the harder it will be to hang on to.

The Melbourne Football club is the oldest Football club of any code, that could soon be all over as talk of relocation and merging take hold just 11 years since we escaped frm the Dorks tag.

Many have said they wouldn't support the Melbourne Kangaroos, I would, because something is better than nothing. The Melbourne Kangaroos is better a better option for supporters than the Gold Coast Demons.

Preferably, I would hope that the Melbourne Demons stay the way they always have.

I'm a member, I can't make it to many games as I work 10 hour shifts both Saturday and Sunday. This year I can attend 2 games, a friday nighter against Geelong and the Queens birthday match. But I will be at both those games to support a team I know that will probably lose both matches because it's the team I love, the team of the red and the blue.

This is a plea to those who are not yet paid up members, unless you sign up RIGHT NOW an start attending EVERY SINGLE game you possibly can, the Jumper below may be something you see in a few years time. This is a team that has won 12 premierships, a team that has a rich history. If you do not sign up you will be partly responsible for it's death.

I have added my representation of the Melbourne Kangaroos Jumper ( Don't like it? BUY A MEMBERSHIP!!!!!!)

post-716-1208850675_thumb.jpg

The Melbourne Football club is the oldest Football club of any code, This is a team that has won 12 premierships, a team that has a rich history. If you do not sign up you will be partly responsible for it's death.

I have added my representation of the Melbourne Kangaroos Jumper ( Don't like it? BUY A MEMBERSHIP!!!!!!)

I like your jumper but I think the white stripes are far to wide. :lol:

BURN IT BURN IT!!! SEND IT STRAIGHT 2 HELL!!!

Can I state the bleedin' obvious? All the off field innovation in the world is next to useless if the team doesn't perform on the field. When the team wins the media shelve all this 'no identity, no support' garbage because we get people through the turnstiles and there's interest in what the team is doing on the park. The Doggies right now are a good example; their membership numbers are down on ours, their finances are in worse shape than ours, but the media virtually ignore these matters because they're playin' good footy. As soon as we climb the ladder (admittedly that could take a while) the doom and gloom talk will disappear. I supose it's a matter of 'if you win it, they will come'. Note too that Demetriou has insisted that the Gold Coast team must have 20,000 'prospective' members - that'll make it hard to shelve or merge any Victorian club with more than 20,000 members.

We could draft Ben Cousins to help turn our form around next season. And if it doesnt work out, we could always as Benny to put us in contact with some of his "business associates" to help pour some "funds" into the club.

what we could do is simply combine the red yolk of the mfc jumper, and add the royal blue of the roos. that way it'll be just like the 80's! that'll really get everyone behind the idea.

there are often some really good things/ideas that are made on this forum...

But i often wonder if any significant member of the club actually llogs on to see what the true supporters are thinking....

Sureley we are worth listening.....

At this stage isnt anything worth a try!!!!

The problem for Melbourne (and the AFL in general) is that they are still reliant on bums on seats. Not that getting people to games is a bad thing.

I'd have thought that gate takings were relatively insignificant compared to the TV rights.

The 'working families' are a) going to be working (and thus limiting a very early start time) and B) wanting to get the kids to bed at a relatively early time (thus limiting a late finish). I'm not in a 'working family' unit, but I'd have thought this was an absolute stinker of a timeslot for them for the aforementioned reasons, not to mention extra-cirrucular activities for the kids etc.

The 'working families' are a) going to be working (and thus limiting a very early start time) and B) wanting to get the kids to bed at a relatively early time (thus limiting a late finish). I'm not in a 'working family' unit, but I'd have thought this was an absolute stinker of a timeslot for them for the aforementioned reasons, not to mention extra-cirrucular activities for the kids etc.

Yes, its swings and roundabouts because granted its not a perfect all-round win-win situation.

It would be tough on the families with younger kids, but good for the families with older children who can stay up that bit later and who are busy with their own sporting pursuits at the weekends. Either way everyone has more chance of getting to the G on a Monday night then they do to Manuka / Carrara or whatever other Hell Vlad may intend for us.

Getting on to free-to-air TV would allow a lot more supporters [Country & Interstate] to at least watch the Dee's. Scheduling matches against the likes of the Eagles or Dockers would give the sponsors more value as it would attract a larger national audience [there's bugger all on TV Monday night], whilst minimising the downside risk of bums-on-seats as we get diddly squat crowd numbers against these sides anyway.

Anyway..just one of many ideas, keep them coming.

Either way everyone has more chance of getting to the G on a Monday night then they do to Manuka / Carrara or whatever other Hell Vlad may intend for us.

I agree entirely, and would far prefer TV coverage + the game in Melb vs selling home games interstate.

Getting on to free-to-air TV would allow a lot more supporters [Country & Interstate] to at least watch the Dee's. Scheduling matches against the likes of the Eagles or Dockers would give the sponsors more value as it would attract a larger national audience [there's bugger all on TV Monday night], whilst minimising the downside risk of bums-on-seats as we get diddly squat crowd numbers against these sides anyway.

Yeah, you're right on both points.

Great thread, thanks to all positive thoughts.

For my part, I think we need to make the move to Casey Fields, and really capitalise on our presence in this 'growth' area. Conduct junior clinics and undertake regular school visits etc. to garner interest from the kids. Welcome the people to training, and show genuine interest in, and promote ourselves in the local community. In short, develop the area as the 'grass roots' supporter base for the MFC .... something we have never had!

Not a 'quick fix' but if it's done well it might just be sustainable.

Lets not discuss moving, merging etc but rather how this club is to be saved. The AFL says we are a meaningless brand and we must address that. I will put my thoughts in point form for convenience.

1. We must build our membership. A membership of 30000 plus, is a significant one in this city and that should be the minimum aim. To get there, every and I repeat every member from last year (10000) who hasn't re-signed should be rung, visited or spoken to, to ensure they take out membership. The players and directors should be involved in this activity. All Melbourne members should be asked to find another supporter to sign on as a member.

2. All Directors should pledge to find a sponsor of at least $50000.00 or raise that amount in any way they see fit, raffle, function, begging whatever.

3. All members should make it their business to attend as many games as possible and invite other family, friends or supporters to attend with them to convert new members and to boost attendances.

4. When at games Melbourne people should use their voices to cheer the team and show disapproval at poor umpiring to give us some presence and lift the players with support like the Pies do.

5. The Board should search for a "Ron Walker type" who is a wealthy, intelligent, well connected person to lead the club.

6. Each board member should re-examine their own position and contribution and place their seat in the hands of the new President to either keep them on the Board or be replaced by a better credentialled candidate.

7. The new Board should be workers who are there for the club and have special skills that can assist the club.

8. The new CEO should be given full support and should have at least 1-2 Directors and maybe even an injured player with him every time he makes a pitch for Sponsorship.

9. The Coach should be given full support by the Board and told to do whatever is needed to get a good side as soon as possible on the ground playing good hard football.

10. The members should accept pain while the footy department rebuilds the list/team.

11. Lovers of the MFC should get behind the club now, when they are needed most and stop the crap " we are finished talk" and instead look positively to the future, when our club will be successful both on and off the ground.

The above will all help to re-establish the meaningful brand that the AFL speaks about.

Feel free to add your own suggestions.

All valid points - I would also suggest that we undertake some benchmarking against "the haves" in the competition ( probably Collingwood as they've stolen the jump on our "precinct" and done it beautifully )t o see where we should be aspiring to in terms of structure and resourcing.

Also, at the risk of stating the obvious, it wouldn't hurt our membership if we actually won a game in the early part of the season..

what we could do is simply combine the red yolk of the mfc jumper, and add the royal blue of the roos. that way it'll be just like the 80's! that'll really get everyone behind the idea.

Simple 3 step solution.

1/ Change the proposed horizontal royal blue stripe to a navy blue stripe

2/ The filth complain that its now too close to the Collingwood jumper...the AFL will pressure us to change the jumper for sure

3/ Solve clash issue with the filth by now filling in the horizontal white stripe with navy blue.

Hey presto...problem solved! :rolleyes:

Well done to all the positive people looking for ways to help. Never before has the MFC needed us, its great supporters to hang tough and support them.

A few of us were wondering about a town hall meeting--yes, in the Melbourne Town Hall--as a demonstration of support. Not to knock or destabilise, but to show support. The coach is appointed, so is the CEO-not a bit of value to start criticising them.As to the Board, we elected them, they're volunteers going through hell, I imagine, for no reward whatever. I believe a new president will emerge from all of this.

Any reaction to the idea of a full-scale meeting to show support?

Great idea, maybe I am showing a smidge of cynicism, but in order to truly look supportive the town hall would have to be packed. I am not convinced that Melbourne supporters would fill it, I know people on this board would turn up, but we also need the casual fan to attend. There would be nothing more embarassing than having 100 people turn up in the town hall.

Having said that, big things start with little beginnings. It has my full supporta dn look forward to getting something (anything) happening for the players and staff.