Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Eddie and Caro

Undeeterred

Just now, stuie said:

Well hey, maybe if men were dying at the same rate as women from domestic violence then the attention would be more even. Think of that maybe?

Like the coward punch?  Do not see anything aout women in that area do we, bet girls die of it all the time too, ever think about that?

1 minute ago, Hellfish said:

Look it up. I heard the grab from the radio this morning 

http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne/news/blog/2016/6/3aw-under-fire-for-the-same-unacceptable-comment-about-caroline-wilson/

absolutly no different.

carro can't have it both ways. It can't be unacceptable when Eddie says it but a joke when her tony shaw and dwayne russell say it.

Yes i did hear about this early this morning

she laughed about it on air. 

Good for ratings though to attack your opponents

cake and eat it too Caro??

Just now, AzzKikA said:

Like the coward punch?  Do not see anything aout women in that area do we, bet girls die of it all the time too, ever think about that?

You're surely not this dumb or horrible or both.

The fact you're calling it a "coward punch" shows you've seen/heard the campaigns about it.

The fact you have no idea that 3 times as many women are victims of domestic violence than men shows you don't give a stuff about it.

46 minutes ago, Undeeterred said:

I agree with you on the point in bold.

But what you're effectively saying is that it's ok to refuse to censure this behaviour on the basis that other behaviour isn't being censured elsewhere in the universe.

Not at all. Not sure how you can come to that conclusion.

Caro is an AGE journalist. So is Clementine Ford. It's OK for the AGE to scream at Eddie for making jokes about violence against a woman. I would like the same standard to apply to the AGE and women in general when comments advocating violence against men are made.

1 minute ago, jnrmac said:

Not at all. Not sure how you can come to that conclusion.

Caro is an AGE journalist. So is Clementine Ford. It's OK for the AGE to scream at Eddie for making jokes about violence against a woman. I would like the same standard to apply to the AGE and women in general when comments advocating violence against men are made.

And I bet you're really worried about racism against middle class white people too...

Just now, Hellfish said:

Look it up. I heard the grab from the radio this morning 

http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne/news/blog/2016/6/3aw-under-fire-for-the-same-unacceptable-comment-about-caroline-wilson/

absolutly no different.

carro can't have it both ways. It can't be unacceptable when Eddie says it but a joke when her tony shaw and dwayne russell say it.

Wow just wow.

Have any of them apologized?  I hope so.

Why the heck wouldn't she say anything at the time?  Surely she would have been upset and all she had to do was a little, come on guys, that hurts, and hopefully they would have realized then and there that it was wrong and apologized straight away and hopefully it would have made them think twice the next time a stupid comment like that popped into their tiny brains.

1 minute ago, stuie said:

And I bet you're really worried about racism against middle class white people too...

That's a terribly snide comment Stui. You clearly disagree and I can't fathom how that is possible. Just point out which bit in my post is wrong or unfair or unequal?

17 minutes ago, AzzKikA said:

As jnrmac said, you could be fired, or worse SUED!

I think Chris' summary of iv'as word are how i feel.  It is great to bring awareness to such a terrible thing like violence against women but why do they get singled out?  There is such a thing as violence against men too, and children and animals.  Why do we feel the need to single women out again, I think that's what gets my goat when things like this come up.  It's always spoken that women are equal, so why in these matters do we single them out?  And sometimes it is women's groups that do it too. Why not have an ad campaign about all violence being a terrible thing that should never be condoned, no matter the colour, age, sex etc.  Women are stronger than they ever have been when it comes to physical & mental abuse, while creating awareness for the issue is great, and may get people thinking differently, i think it sometimes hinders other areas like equality.

I wasn't going to post anything in this thread because it upsets me (and to be honest plain makes me sad)  the views of so many Australian men on this issue. And i'm not going to post another comment. 

To be clear i'm not having a shot at you AZZKika per se but this post is representative of how far we have to go before we can end family violence, in large part because so many men share such a view.

Why does violence against women get singled out. Are you serious? I mean really? Do yourself a favor and do some research. There is plenty. As a starter read the executive summary of the Royal commission into family violence to get a sense of the pervasiveness of violence against women in our society. Read some of the victims statements. 

Or don't. Remain ignorant and continue being part of the problem

And don't bother with the brown shirt brigade bemoaning men's right being taken away, conflating (excusing) use of violence with issues such as having no role in the family, loss of identity or not having access to their kids as that knucklehead Latham did. 

Lets be clear family violence is a gendered issue. The overwhelming majority of family violence is perpetrated by men against women and children. Family. Loved ones. This is fact.

• Like 6

That's a terribly snide comment Stui. You clearly disagree and I can't fathom how that is possible. Just point out which bit in my post is wrong or unfair or unequal?

I disagree with you hearing about this and your only thought being "what about men?!".

Nooooooo Mac.  Please don't ask him to defy logic again.

• Like 2

The fact you're calling it a "coward punch" shows you've seen/heard the campaigns about it.

The fact you have no idea that 3 times as many women are victims of domestic violence than men shows you don't give a stuff about it.

I would seriously question the stats as most experts I have heard speak on the matter say that many many men don't report it (as many women don't but they are sure more men don't). This has to do with shame and being told to toughen up and sort their women out by the authorities. There are also lots of men who take their lives due to domestic violence. It is a whole untapped and generally unrecognised issue. 

Happy to focus on the women for now though to get the discussion really going and it can grow from there. I do hate being painted as a monster by certain segments of the media though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ricky P said:

As I stated in my initial post, this is a popular viewpoint. Do you mind please helping me tease out the dynamic at play here? For starters, what percentage of incidents of domestic violence do you think occurred because the perpetrator, who otherwise would never commit an act of domestic violence, heard a joke similar to McGuire's?

Then, could you please put a percentage figure next to the following factors, of how important you think they are in contributing to an act of domestic violence:

- the reprehensible behaviour of the individual

- the behaviour of close male role models during the childhood of the perpetrator

- mental illness

- drug or alcohol abuse

- jokes like McGuire's

Then, if you've ever said, "I could just kill x for not cleaning her room/ for forgetting to pay me back/ for taking the last tim tam" OR if you've ever heard someone else say that but not challenged them, are you willing to admit that you have contributed to domestic violence in Australia?

Poor attempt at a gotcha moment there Ricky. Not all anger, threats and disrespect ends in physical violence against women, but all violence against women begins with them*. The 'joke' was disrespectful and casual misogyny, but Eddie cannot see that. If you think it's ok for a highly influential media personality to make a vitriolic 'joke' about killing a women then no amount of "teasing out the dynamic" will help you understand. As someone else pointed out here, there's not a chance in the world he would've said the same about his wife or kids.

*https://www.respect.gov.au/

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 1

Just now, stuie said:

Explain this, i am too dumb and horrible to understand your outrage.

9 minutes ago, stuie said:

Really? A figure of speech? I have never heard the saying that goes "I'm going to smash that woman to a pulp".

You wouldn't have lasted 10 minutes back in the '70's as a kid Stuie without bursting into tears. 

Be it right or wrong You had to have thick skin back then. 

It was the way Australia was. 

Not like this over governed Nanny State we live in now...

4 minutes ago, AzzKikA said:

Wow just wow.

Have any of them apologized?  I hope so.

Why the heck wouldn't she say anything at the time?  Surely she would have been upset and all she had to do was a little, come on guys, that hurts, and hopefully they would have realized then and there that it was wrong and apologized straight away and hopefully it would have made them think twice the next time a stupid comment like that popped into their tiny brains.

Seriously, you're not able to process the difference between the two occasions?

5 minutes ago, Chris said:

I would seriously question the stats as most experts I have heard speak on the matter say that many many men don't report it (as many women don't but they are sure more men don't). This has to do with shame and being told to toughen up and sort their women out by the authorities. There are also lots of men who take their lives due to domestic violence. It is a whole untapped and generally unrecognised issue. 

Happy to focus on the women for now though to get the discussion really going and it can grow from there. I do hate being painted as a monster by certain segments of the media though. 

It's not a competition. Just because violence against women happens it doesn't mean violence against men doesn't. But the OVERWHELMING facts, stats and studies indicate women are the victims at a much higher rate than men.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chris said:

Lost a couple of schoolmates over the years to this very thing. 

Shame

I would rather be drowned then have stuie being a voice for my rights but that's just me lol. 

God you know you're living in paradise when these are our pressing issues. The comment was distasteful and poorly timed, I don't see what sexism has to do with it. 

• Like 4

Separate to what the discussion is I know, but did any of you watch the Freeze MND pre-game show with King and Brereton on Fox? I watched the replay when I got home and nearly spat out my beer when Brereton, who was commenting on the MND sliders (I think it might've even been McGuire) said (I'm paraphrasing), "Oh, and there he goes down the slide, arms starting to go all over the place like he's 'losing his motor skills'...."

Unbelieveable to associate those comments with a cause that's trying to stop it.

The man is a buffoon.

3 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

You wouldn't have lasted 10 minutes back in the '70's as a kid Stuie without bursting into tears. 

Be it right or wrong You had to have thick skin back then. 

It was the way Australia was. 

Not like this over governed Nanny State we live in now...

And there it is.

Back when women knew their place and if they didn't you could "smash them" back into submission hey?

You've really outed yourself in this thread.

Just now, binman said:

I wasn't going to post anything in this thread because it upsets me (and to be honest plain makes me sad)  the views of so many Australian men on this issue. And i'm not going to post another comment. 

To be clear i'm not having a shot at you AZZKika per se but this post is representative of how far we have to go before we can end family violence, in large part because so many men share such a view.

Why does violence against women get singled out. Are you serious? I mean really? Do yourself a favor and do some research. There is plenty. As a starter read the executive summary of the Royal commission into family violence to get a sense of the pervasiveness of violence against women in our society. Read some of the victims statements. 

Or don't. Remain ignorant and continue being part of the problem

And don't bother with the brown shirt brigade bemoaning men's right being taken away, conflating (excusing) use of violence with issues such as having no role in the family, loss of identity or not having access to their kids as that knucklehead Latham did. 

Lets be clear family violence is a gendered issue. The overwhelming majority of family violence is perpetrated by men against women and children. Family. Loved ones. This is fact.

Look after i wrote what i did have have thought about it, while i didn't think i was saying it in the manner that you represent here, i can see how it goes that way.  I understand that attention needs to be focused on individual issues, like stuie pointed out, it's the coward punch now not king hit.  Some people are like me coz they know no other way until they are forced to change their thinking, i can see where i am going wrong now.

• Like 5

And there it is.

Back when women knew their place and if they didn't you could "smash them" back into submission hey?

You've really outed yourself in this thread.

As have you.  A bullying troll that stoops to personal invective.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AzzKikA said:

Look after i wrote what i did have have thought about it, while i didn't think i was saying it in the manner that you represent here, i can see how it goes that way.  I understand that attention needs to be focused on individual issues, like stuie pointed out, it's the coward punch now not king hit.  Some people are like me coz they know no other way until they are forced to change their thinking, i can see where i am going wrong now.

Good to see you have been 're-educated'!

2 minutes ago, AzzKikA said:

This is a really gutsy post mate. Don't see this kind of thing on Demonland very often. Good on you.

• Like 3