• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

AFL 2011 Fixture Talk

Bring-Back-Powell

I had already seen the draw BK... why do you think I'm not happy. I live in Sydney and have not been able to wander down the road to a game at the SCG or Homebush since April 2007 and it looks like the next opportunity may be in 2012 when at least there will be two Sydney based clubs increasing the chances of a Dees game here.

Well I reckon with all the flack the Filth will recieve we might just sneak under the radar a bit with this fixture. As many more sage types will suggest there is NO perfect draw anymore , so you hope for the next best and I see 2011 as a very playable year . Must admit would have liked to play the Maggies twice and they are probably reieved not to have to .

3 Fridays is a big step up and acknowledgement of where we are and where were going . Also dispels the myth we don't go to our games .

Much prefer to open against Sydney at home than the Sqawkers too . A real chance to go 1-0 from the opening ... Bodes well :)

looks good for 2011 already ;)

unrelated i know, but lol at kangaroo supporters whinging about their draw on bigfooty in a thread entitled "it's official the afl want us to die". apparently they have "too many saturday arvo games"

North have one game at MCG for year, I would be fairly annoyed by that if I was a Roos supporter

I had already seen the draw BK... why do you think I'm not happy. I live in Sydney and have not been able to wander down the road to a game at the SCG or Homebush since April 2007 and it looks like the next opportunity may be in 2012 when at least there will be two Sydney based clubs increasing the chances of a Dees game here.

geez mate wouldn't want to have a self-centered view of the draw or anything like that

WYL I actually think that secretly the AFL would love the Dees to get back amongst the thick of it . They laid down the challenge to us some years back and not only did we not capitulate but we are thriving from the challenge to reassert our club back where it belongs ; preeminent in the minds of all Melbournians not just Dees fans . They I think want us to be successful as it will be good for the game .

This draw certainly makes it easier rather than harder .

Seriously guys come on! We've just copped the best possible draw we could have ever asked for. If we want the home games against the clubs that are currently better than us we need to play them twice which means a smaller chance of finals. If we play Collingwood, Saints, Geelong twice everyone gets on their high-horse that the AFL hates us.

We have been given the best opportunity to make finals this year in regards to the fixture. Money revenue won't be great but if we are 6-2, 7-4 range nearing mid season believe me the crowd will be amazing come the second half regardless of the opposition. Lets worry about making finals and leave the off field stuff to the board!

Yes. Another positive. Essendon won't be.

Good pick up.

I wonder whether a club would be happy to have the bye in Round 22. On the one hand it's a week off to prepare for finals (if you've already qualified that is), on the other it might break momentum, and it also potentially leaves their future in the other 16 clubs' hands.

I like where we have our byes FWIW. Evenly spaced out. Plus I also like having two of our four interstate games on either side of the first bye. I think that's a good way to get the trips out of the way.

geez mate wouldn't want to have a self-centered view of the draw or anything like that

Maybe if you lived in Sydney and were a fuly paid-up out-of-state member you might re-assess that comment. It is self-centred, yes... but it is also out of the frustration of not being able to head down the road on just one afternoon of the year to see the Dees play live. I'm just venting... so sue me :-)

Huh? Look at Round 1. Home game vs Port. In fact, the Pies have a contractual obligation to play (I think) 2 home games at Etihad per year.

You're absolutely right. Apologies. But not to Collingwood. :) Speaking of which, why on earth would they have that contract? What do they get in return?

Care to do some research before having a teary?

Well yes, but sifting through the whole draw will take time. Jeez some people are quick with it. You're absolutely right though. I guess I'd gone with the whole fact that pies played the vast majority of their games at the G last year. I'm still miffed about that, and always will be.

It's an odd statement. The level of difficulty of a draw, from an AFL's perspective, can only be measured against a club's ladder position of the year.

You've missed my point. Of course the AFL has to pick the coming year based on the year before. I wasn't referring to the AFL's responsibility. I was referring to your post "How people are whinging about this draw is beyond me." Which is where I disagree. Fans won't get as bent out of shape because nobody can predict the top 4 with any certainty. This year was the closest to "predictable" I can think of.

I guarantee that if we played the top 6 this year twice you'd think differently.

You can guarantee all you like, you'd still be wrong. Look, let's say we did have to play the top 6 twice, I'd have a moment of "hang on a tic," followed swiftly by pleasure in the fact that we'd be playing likely top-drawing sides (for cash when it's our home games), and I'd be pleased that we'd get to really know what we're made of against the best, which all things being equal, you'd say 4 of the top 6 (from last year) would be.

I would get peeved, but then I know when it comes to the desperate claw to the finish line (last 6 rounds, say) we play Cats, Carlton, West Coast, Richmond, Gold Coast and Port. Right now you'd say Cats and Blues are going to be tough games. With the others easy-beats. Scratch the surface and it tells a different tale. Cats with an ageing list and no Ablett might have come to pieces by that stage of the year, and started playing kids. Blues could be so far up the top of the ladder they do a Saints and start resting guys. Likewise Richmond and Port could finish anywhere from fighting for 8th on the ladder to a spoon, so they might be tough games too. Even Gold Coast, who everyone's expecting to suck, might figure a few things out by year's end. You just never know... And with the competition being so even these days, injuries will define where a team goes next year. Probably more than anything. And there's just no way of predicting that.

Good pick up.

I wonder whether a club would be happy to have the bye in Round 22. On the one hand it's a week off to prepare for finals (if you've already qualified that is), on the other it might break momentum, and it also potentially leaves their future in the other 16 clubs' hands.

I like where we have our byes FWIW. Evenly spaced out. Plus I also like having two of our four interstate games on either side of the first bye. I think that's a good way to get the trips out of the way.

Whatever the case, let's hope Mr.Hird will be thankful his nightmare debut season as coach comes to a close a week early. Hopefully there will be fallout from it and Bomber Thompson had wished he hadn't had burnoutas coach at Geelong.

:)

I agree that its a great draw in terms of winnable games, perhaps not so good financially. But if we can perform well in the early games against Carlton and Essendon on the friday nights that should help bring in more people later in teh year.

I agree that it sucks to be playing a home game against West Coast at Etihad, but we have to learn to win at that venue so what better chance could we ask for?

Yep as much as I hate the idea, it'd be good for the boys to get more game time there.

And North, one game at the 'G. Ouch B)

Edited by BattlerBailey

North have one game at MCG for year, I would be fairly annoyed by that if I was a Roos supporter

That's massive, especially considering they have claims to being as much a side of the future as we are.

Three friday night games is pretty huge for the club... especially for corporate and sponsorship

100% agree...Winning these games means sponsers see more of there logos in the paper the following day.

do you think we could get he heraldsun to sponser the club?

Maybe if you lived in Sydney and were a fuly paid-up out-of-state member you might re-assess that comment. It is self-centred, yes... but it is also out of the frustration of not being able to head down the road on just one afternoon of the year to see the Dees play live. I'm just venting... so sue me :-)

I have an easy and worthwhile solution for you hardtack: Relocate to Melbourne. You'll wish all your Christmas' had come at once.

I have an easy and worthwhile solution for you hardtack: Relocate to Melbourne. You'll wish all your Christmas' had come at once.

Don't worry HT, I have given that consideration, and I wish it were that simple - I'm easy to relocate, but young kids are another story :-) It's funny, even though I have lived in Sydney for a tad over 30 years, I still consider myself a Melbourne person.

I will however be visiting Melbourne for a couple of games in 2011... my frustration stems from the fact that my membership does not get me the same benefits as a Melbourne based supporter unless I care to fork out for transport to and from the game (a distance of approximately 1000km) :-)

And North, one game at the 'G. Ouch B)

Ouch ? As far as I'm concerned, North have made their own bed at Etihad. Now they can lie in it & make the most of it.

They don't want help, they're intending to build their supporter base, their brand with a good bunch of kids. I haven't read any criticism from their camp re: the fixture, has anyone else ?

Good pick up.

Exactly. And it's GC, then West Coast. The break even allows for the percieved tougher road trip at this stage.

I think this draw is bloody brilliant. We have every chance to be 4/5 wins going into Adelaide at the MCG round 7. The chance to gather season defining confidence is there for us in the first couple of months.

I'll be dissapointed if we don't make finals this year- given that draw and our improvement. Never expecting an easy path by any means as you who can spring up to spoil the party, but we are improving too.

Looking at this draw it's pretty clear someone in AFL headquarters K'd us OTD. Bring on this s.hit!!!

Ouch ? As far as I'm concerned, North have made their own bed at Etihad. Now they can lie in it & make the most of it.

They don't want help, they're intending to build their supporter base, their brand with a good bunch of kids. I haven't read any criticism from their camp re: the fixture, has anyone else ?

I want them to fold!

I know it sounds harsh, but it would strengthen us, which is all I care about. I'm under the assumption the supporters would find the transition eeasy as all they have to do is drop the "NORTH", and upgrade from a boring kangaroo to a radical demon. They are a boring team anyway.

Don't worry HT, I have given that consideration, and I wish it were that simple - I'm easy to relocate, but young kids are another story :-) It's funny, even though I have lived in Sydney for a tad over 30 years, I still consider myself a Melbourne person.

Understand the situation. A Melbournian stuck in Sydney, I feel for you. ;)

You would have enjoyed China very much then.

Well, there are those 'true' supporters who are MCC members but have bought footy club memberships as a bit of charity...

And we're happy to do it.

It's not charity... it's loving the club a little more than everyone else... wording..!