SUGGESTION for our new CEO

Good Friday would be a better Friday if there was some footy to watch. It's going to happen before long! Sydney's had Rugby League for years on this holiest of holy days. The AFL can't let them take advantage of our city's religious piety any longer.

Here's an opening for Paul McN! Set up an annual Melb/Haw, or Melb/Rich(Melb/anyone) game on the MCG every Good Friday evening. I reckon we'd be guaranteed 55000 attendance. There's no other entertainment on this most boring of Public Holidays.

Let's take the initiative!

If it was going to happen it would need to be against another vic side, I'd say the Saints, they don't have a block buster and i think the 2 clubs would pull 70k each time on a good friday.

But if the AFL allow it, it will go to ess, coll, carl out of the Victorian sides.

Good Friday would be a better Friday if there was some footy to watch. It's going to happen before long! Sydney's had Rugby League for years on this holiest of holy days. The AFL can't let them take advantage of our city's religious piety any longer.

Here's an opening for Paul McN! Set up an annual Melb/Haw, or Melb/Rich(Melb/anyone) game on the MCG every Good Friday evening. I reckon we'd be guaranteed 55000 attendance. There's no other entertainment on this most boring of Public Holidays.

Let's take the initiative!

Shurely you gest? Saints V Demons for a holy day.

The Demons BLOCKBUSTER game on a Good Friday seems like a worthwhile idea. I know I would definitely go!

I was actually in the City on Good Friday night and noticed there was actually a few pubs and bars open. So why not have a game of football on too?

I also hope that the Demons get started on organising our Summer training base at Casey Fields as I think there is ALOT of potential there.

As for another idea. Why not set up a Melbourne "elites" club? A special social club for wealthy Melbourne supporters who donate money to the club at numerous fundraisiers that the MFC could have? Get in contact with all those so-called "supporters" that barrack for Melbourne? People like Max Walker, Alan Stockdale, and even Joe Gutnick?! Ask them to help more in whatever way they can....

Perhaps promote the match-day functions more for wealthy Melbourne supporters? This could be related to big-business too and have numerous opportunities for businessmen (and women) to possibly do "wheeling and dealing" at the football over a chardonnay or two. We really need to set up new ways where we think "outside the square" for the MFC to make more money. I realise I'm grasping at straws but we have to do something as the long term survival of OUR club is at stake!

i'm not sure how much good this would do...

as much as i understand it, north have really been pushing the AFL to play on good friday for the last couple of years, however the AFL haven't allowed it... Pmac would have to bring something extra to the table for the AFL too allow it...

perhaps link it in with the good friday appeal or something? perhaps the two clubs involved could agree to donate the gate receipts (or a percentage of) to the good friday appeal? would cost us cash, but be good for the profile...

i'm not sure how much good this would do...

as much as i understand it, north have really been pushing the AFL to play on good friday for the last couple of years, however the AFL haven't allowed it... Pmac would have to bring something extra to the table for the AFL too allow it...

perhaps link it in with the good friday appeal or something? perhaps the two clubs involved could agree to donate the gate receipts (or a percentage of) to the good friday appeal? would cost us cash, but be good for the profile...

I know that there is going to be opposition on religious grounds both from Christians and Jews (whose Passover festival coincides with Easter most years) but times have changed and, for better or worse, we are becoming more and more secular as each year goes by (there used to be a time when you couldn't get a newspaper, buy a bottle of milk or petrol on Good Friday). In other words, it's inevitable.

We should grab this as an initiative and possibly make a play for an annual blockbuster v Carlton or Essendon on Good Friday together with our other annual blockbuster v Collingwood on Queens Birthday. We can leave mother's day for the other clubs.

ABSOLUTE SHOCKING IDEA!!!!!

Cant we just keep one day?

I have to agree... "absolutely shocking idea"....."Can't we just keep one day".... FOR THE GARDEN !! :wub:

I think a Melbourne Vs. Sydney state rivalry "BLOCKBUSTER" would be something that the media could completely blow out of all proportion and generally make a song and dance about.

they tried to organise melb v sydney for anzac day in sydney. the aim would be to have that run after the essendon collingwood match and get a double header. we did it for a year or two, to reasonable success, and at least it was something for the sydney crowd to talk about. but the afl decided that we could no longer do it and that it essendon/collingwoods day only...

freo play geelong on anzac day this year. and i'm pretty sure melbourne only played sydney anzac day weekend, never on the day.

25.04 Sydney Melbourne The SCG N 18:30

17.7 (109) 13.7 (85)

since then we have played mfc vs sfc on anzac weekend but never on the day (04 we played on the 24th, 05 we played on the 23rd, 06 we played on the 23rd, 07 on the 27th). this year we have brisbane lions on the 27th.

the afl will probably argue that melb v syd did not get much attention or become a big rivalry it its 5 years, but they didnt really sell it did they? if we had've been played either day or night, before or after the essendon v collingwood match and i was billed as a big double header, anzac match 'two states' etc it could have caught on. we didnt exactly get that chance did we?

oh that's right! geez forgot about that entirely. i got back from nepal the next day, henve the reason it didn't stick!

yeah the afl didn't really give us a chance, but i guess there wasn't a whole lot to work with...

bloody collingwood, playing in an ANZAC day match when they kept playing during the war! even won a premiership whilse other teams, us included, were away

oh that's right! geez forgot about that entirely. i got back from nepal the next day, henve the reason it didn't stick!

yeah the afl didn't really give us a chance, but i guess there wasn't a whole lot to work with...

bloody collingwood, playing in an ANZAC day match when they kept playing during the war! even won a premiership whilse other teams, us included, were away

exactly right. if anyone deserves it for memorial reasons it is melb v geelong...