The China Connection

paddo

Interesting article on melbournefc.com.au about the development of AFL in China.

Chris Connolly makes a great point in the article that the spread, by Melbourne players, of AFL into China could not only have on field benefits in the future, but it would also increase awareness of the game in the local Chinese community with membership boosting as a result.

Wouldn't it be great if we could develop some Chinese players, as we did with Irish players in the late 80s/early 90s? With the increasing influence of China in Australian life and culture, the club could reap amazing financial benefits from membership and sponsorship from multi-national companies, not to mention Melbournefc tapping into a pool of 1.3 billion people (fans and players).

Even though, realistically, a development of this magnitude would take many years, perhaps decades, to unfold, I find this really exciting and I take my hat off to the club for initiating this project.

I am particularly excited about the potential membership boost the club would receive should the project be successful.

This all sounds rosy and dandy. I hope it really works to some extent even. What it comes down to is public exposure ie T.V

If we can broadcast a Deez game late at night on T.V would be a massive step forward and at the half time break promote some of their local talant traing with us. However if smelly eddie (for the spelling police i delibratley didnt captialise his 'e') gets his mitts on this idea..grrrrrrr It must be a closed shop.

These guys are fantastic athletes, and I wouldn't mind betting that people will start taking the China recruiting concept a little more seriously before too long.

It will be great to see one of these guys getting a game - It only takes one.

I can think of a Korean who has been a great AFL footballer- Peter Bell.

However if smelly eddie (for the spelling police i delibratley didnt captialise his 'e') gets his mitts on this idea..grrrrrrr It must be a closed shop.

That's what I'd be worried about. We started the whole Irish recruiting thing and now everyone is tagging on, especially Collingwood.

hence we have the reason for the new logo...the chinese hate demons!! anyway, i have said it 1000 times and i think it is a great idea and initiative is been taken but the club needs to take it to the next level ASAP beffore the other clubs cotton on...and the novelty wears off just like ireland

now ..everyone ....repeat after me... GONG HEI FAT CHOW !!!!!!!!! :D ;):lol:

I noted this in The Age's coverage of Steve Harris leaving.

"... with Melbourne also the subject of some significant derision from AFL headquarters over the Demons' bid to forge cultural links with China."

WTF? Like forging links with Africa is a better use of time.

If The Age is correct it smacks of the 'R' word for mine? And Demetriou sounds like such a multicultural name.

Cheers,

Rodney

I noted this in The Age's coverage of Steve Harris leaving.

"... with Melbourne also the subject of some significant derision from AFL headquarters over the Demons' bid to forge cultural links with China."

WTF? Like forging links with Africa is a better use of time.

If The Age is correct it smacks of the 'R' word for mine? And Demetriou sounds like such a multicultural name.

Cheers,

Rodney

South Africa has over 100, 000 kids playing the game in some format...they even have a team that played aginast the under age aboriginal boys...

China has nothing..and will conitnue to have nothing....it an attempt by us to be revolutionary...but it won't work...nothing will come out of it...what benefit financially is it when no one bar Australians play AFL????

this has been such a waste of money on our behalf...just like the idiotic Team Melbourne initiative....

and it will be a legacy of harris'....but a detrimental one to the club...

South Africa has over 100, 000 kids playing the game in some format...they even have a team that played aginast the under age aboriginal boys...

China has nothing..and will conitnue to have nothing....it an attempt by us to be revolutionary...but it won't work...nothing will come out of it...what benefit financially is it when no one bar Australians play AFL????

this has been such a waste of money on our behalf...just like the idiotic Team Melbourne initiative....

Exactly how is it detrimental?

If they have nothing - then give them something, teach them...their keen enough

Just like they said about the Irish experiment in 80's - Some of the best players I can remember watching came from that - They didn't have the skills when they came over

Look at the types of kids clubs are recruiting nowadays, guys from other sports that haven't even played a game. If they are rookies...what's the risk?

If these guys are athletic enough, adaptable to the skills of the game and have the drive to make it - then how can it fail?

While not being a massive fan of our China connection program, ALL overseas promotion should be encouraged by the AFL.

AFRICA     

numbers playing the game -- 100,000?? (after X years of work)

future AFL players -- likely

likelihood of a local AFL team -- no

migration to Austalia -- low but growing (= low potential for membership uptake)

relevance to Australia's future -- low

CHINA

numbers playing the game -- 0? + expats (in the FIRST year of work)

future AFL players -- ? why not!!

likelihood of a local AFL team -- no

migration to Austalia -- high and growing (= high potential for membership uptake)

relevance to Australia's future -- central to the point of dependence

Each has postives and negatives and both should be supported equally by the AFL.

Doesn't that apply to South Africa and the UAE as well? South Africa struggles to get coloured national representation into it's mainstream sports in cricket and rugby union. And I doubt that we'll be seeing any kids from Dubai playing AFL. The point of the China experiment is to get potential Chinese multi-national companies from, their burgeoning economy, to sponsor the club. I think the initiative taken by the club should be applauded.

Exactly how is it detrimental?

If they have nothing - then give them something, teach them...their keen enough

Just like they said about the Irish experiment in 80's - Some of the best players I can remember watching came from that - They didn't have the skills when they came over

Look at the types of kids clubs are recruiting nowadays, guys from other sports that haven't even played a game. If they are rookies...what's the risk?

If these guys are athletic enough, adaptable to the skills of the game and have the drive to make it - then how can it fail?

:wacko: Most of this thread seems to be focussing on what AFL footballers we could get from China...possible, but slow burn.

I see the value in memberships and TV rights. Short-term there could be massive benefits. In Melbourne alone there is a large Chinese community...tapping into this market alone is worthwhile. And the potential TV audience in China is massive...dont forget what an exciting game AFL, its a very competitive offering compared to NFL etc.

As for the AFL sniggering...I wouldnt pay much attention, they are insufferably arrogant...and will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes!

:wacko: Most of this thread seems to be focussing on what AFL footballers we could get from China...possible, but slow burn.

I see the value in memberships and TV rights. Short-term there could be massive benefits. In Melbourne alone there is a large Chinese community...tapping into this market alone is worthwhile. And the potential TV audience in China is massive...dont forget what an exciting game AFL, its a very competitive offering compared to NFL etc.

As for the AFL sniggering...I wouldnt pay much attention, they are insufferably arrogant...and will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes!

Exactly.

It will be years before we see players coming out of China. However, increasing interest in the local Chinese community would be fantastic for membership.

I hadn't actually thought of TV rights DeeReaming, but that could have even greater financial significance.

There is I think a danger when considering any such panaceas for the various difficulties that the MFC or indeed any club faces that the observer linits their horizons to a limited number of solutions.

No one single field of exploration and mentoring will likely yield all answers. Ideally you are going to be involved in a number of projects . China is one.

There are some fairly real cultural differences to overcome, especially in the way sport is played but that seems to be changing just as quickly as the rest of its dynamic shift in living. its a bit like the shampoo ad, it wont happen overnight !! But you have to be in it to win it as they say.

Im sure it would be the bravest of seers who can predict exactly the manner and scope of any benefits.

As is China so is Africa. Id like to see us participate in this foray in some way also. There will be some real participation from this continent in the not to distant future...especially if "gumby' Mugambwa is any indication :)

The thing is China has to be seen as part of a plan..not THE plan.

Involvement in the local community seems more valuable to me than promotions into China.

Most of the ethnically Chinese population in Australia maintain close ties with relatives overseas - particularly the trade and professional communities which emigrated during / following the war and revolution. These links actually give us our best angle for involving the Chinese market - there's nothing better than having a family member tell someone to support us!

The strongest strategy I can think of at the international level is to encourage Melbourne's locals to get into AFL, through MelbourneFC, and to encourage them to invite visiting relatives to come to games.

Ideally, we'd end up with 'going to that strange Australian football' being as standard as 'hugging a koala', with MFC the club people know when they do visit.

To emphase the migrant links and the connections between families which migrated - take a look at Australia's list of top ten tourism visitor origins -

5. China, 285,000

6. Singapore, 265,000

8. Malaysia, 165,000

9. Hong Kong, 159,000.

It's particularly noticable with Hong Kong - there's no surprise of course that the big visitor numbers are from the fellow ex-British, and heavily English-speaking, territory, with the affluent population and numerous links to overseas Chinese populations.

Singapore and Malaysia are also quite affluent and are also major areas for the overseas Chinese population, complete with the complex family ties across countries.

It's actually these other locations which I think present the best opportunity, due to the cultural ties which already exist, and the convenient concentration of affluent populations, especially in Singapore, Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur.

I'd like to be the first to suggest that we get ourserlves over to Hong Kong for an exhibition match as soon as possible. A similar deal to the Dubai game this year would be great, because it would also boost the game's profile back here, getting it's own weekend and all. It's a better option than, say Tianjin too, because a greater number of expats and the aforementioned cultural links would ensure a decent crowd.

Are there any truly suitable venues in Honkers ? for a fair dink 18 a side game ? curious :)

I believe there is some momentum also to be had via the sister city set up. Not having been to China yet I am not familiar with the lay of the land as it were. Showcasing the game will rely to a degree on good venues...as they say..presentation !!

• 7 years later...

Came across this article on the AFL website - http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-03/port-adelaide-to-wear-chinese-inspired-guernsey-against-bulldogs

what is going on with our push into China? I know it was lead by previous Admin. However, I do recall that we had a presence this year at the Chinese New Year event in Lt Bourke Street. The above article mentions that our game will also be broadcast in Mandarin.

Does anyone know whether the MFC are still looking at the Chinese market and/or whether in addition to our game being broadcast in Mandarin, we will be doing anything like Port this weekend?

Lets not forget that china has a lot of companies and millionaires who could provide sponsorship, not only in supporting football in China but also to provide sponsorship to the dees in Melbourne.

We should lobby for High Net Worth individuals from China to receive citizenship in exchange for sponsorship.