The "Aggressive" Miller

First of all would just like to say that I absolutely love every piece of news I am hearing out of the MFC at the moment! The excitement is definately building and I can't wait to see the new look Melbourne Football Club in action over the next few years....

Dean Bailey is certainly one impressive bloke! Every written and spoken word brings goosebumps!

I am a tad concerned with the news that he wants one Brad Miller to play with Aggression though! The bloke can certainly play when his head is screwed on straight and has the body to be a force to be reckoned with on the field.....

But.....

His decision making skills are not the greatest and I fear that an "AGRO" Miller (whilst playing good football) might only play a limited number of games due to suspension! There is no doubt an aggressive Miller is much better than a soft-serve Miller, but it is the question of it being a controlled aggression that worries me most!

Any thoughts??

to be honessed, we havent seen anything of bailey yet on the field, for all we know, he is a great public speaker and presenter but cant coach for crap on match day...i agree with u that miller is a bit of a risk and could turn out to be a flop...however, i have no doubt in my mind that if millers decision making skills could improve and he can have controlled aggression...people have said that he is a good leader and robert walls was one of many to say that he will be a future captain about 3 years ago..

His decision making skills are not the greatest and I fear that an "AGRO" Miller (whilst playing good football) might only play a limited number of games due to suspension! There is no doubt an aggressive Miller is much better than a soft-serve Miller, but it is the question of it being a controlled aggression that worries me most!

Any thoughts??

The single concern with Miller is whether he can bring himself back up to be a regular shot at the best 22.

There is competition for his spot. Across HF we have Bate, Newton, Dunn, and now Morton who could all fill his usual role. At FF we obviously would only need him as a replacement for an injured Neitz. As a tall defender he would be competing with Holland most directly, but also Frawley and Carroll.

Put simply, we are in a situation where it's no great problem if he misses a couple of games - there are kids who can get a game and do ok. But if he doesn't step up then it gets even simpler; there are kids who are probably ahead of him on the pecking order already.

So bring on Miller the Hammer.

A side note, I'm of the opinion that Miller has been at his best when close to goal, which has only been a few games so far but he has stood up ok. I don't think he's been an effective backman consistently enough to warrant the shift, and I don't think he's creative enough to hold down CHF. I like the prospect of Miller being an ultra-fit run-defenders-ragged tall forward who makes defenders feel it when they try to be too cute getting it back out.

A side note, I'm of the opinion that Miller has been at his best when close to goal, which has only been a few games so far but he has stood up ok. I don't think he's been an effective backman consistently enough to warrant the shift, and I don't think he's creative enough to hold down CHF. I like the prospect of Miller being an ultra-fit run-defenders-ragged tall forward who makes defenders feel it when they try to be too cute getting it back out.

Exactly what I was thinking. If I recall rightly, Miller kicked three in a couple of games playing FF when Neita was out during the year. He MUST improve his kicking if he is to play in this position.

However, if he plays FF we should gradually see the phase out of the infamous "handball to a stationery target" trick for which Miller is well known for.

Also, the man can mark the ball. Does anyone recall that ripper pack mark Miller took against Freo at Subi during the year?? We could do with some more of that marking power in the forward line.

First of all would just like to say that I absolutely love every piece of news I am hearing out of the MFC at the moment! The excitement is definately building and I can't wait to see the new look Melbourne Football Club in action over the next few years....

Dean Bailey is certainly one impressive bloke! Every written and spoken word brings goosebumps!

I am a tad concerned with the news that he wants one Brad Miller to play with Aggression though! The bloke can certainly play when his head is screwed on straight and has the body to be a force to be reckoned with on the field.....

But.....

Any thoughts??

i mentioned in another post Miller would not be the only under achiever under ND,ie Sylvia, both only played under ND. why couldnt miller hold down full back, hes tall, tough and has a good tank. the no.1 job for a tall defender is to spoil the mark of opponents full/centre half forward. i would try him there in NAB games to see how he goes. Carroll finds himself sometimes lacking pace.(though his tackle on the G-Train in the first final of 06 will never be forgotten)

i mentioned in another post Miller would not be the only under achiever under ND,ie Sylvia, both only played under ND. why couldnt miller hold down full back, hes tall, tough and has a good tank. the no.1 job for a tall defender is to spoil the mark of opponents full/centre half forward. i would try him there in NAB games to see how he goes. Carroll finds himself sometimes lacking pace.(though his tackle on the G-Train in the first final of 06 will never be forgotten)

Where's the line between underachiever and not up to scratch?

Has Miller 'underachieved' in not cementing a best 22 spot, considering the size and turnover of lists in footy?

Who sets expectations on players? It wasn't like he was a high draft pick.

Where's the line between underachiever and not up to scratch?

Has Miller 'underachieved' in not cementing a best 22 spot, considering the size and turnover of lists in footy?

Who sets expectations on players? It wasn't like he was a high draft pick.

no doubt hes underachieved but hes not the only one, hes getting a second chance because of his age in my opinion, hes not a forward and shouldnt be played there

Thinking Miller was a liability. Aggressive Miller at least had some weapons at his disposal and was able to be the sacrificial anode for all the crap that goes on on a footy field. If he comes back and makes errors that cause problems for the club, then what have we lost?

no doubt hes underachieved but hes not the only one, hes getting a second chance because of his age in my opinion, hes not a forward and shouldnt be played there

I struggle to see how a player we got at pick 55 in the 2001 ND who has played nearly 100 games has underachieved. Admittedly many have been so-so.

There is a misconception amongst many posters on this site that Miller was the great white hope at CHF from a couple of early games where he showed some rough promise.

His past four years have shown him to be a NQR AFL player with great character but limited natural ability.

There were many players picked ahead of him in that draft and subsequent drafts who have done less in AFL.

He is just not that good whether forward or back and anything positive we can extract from him in the next year has to be a positive whether he plays the "aggressor" (not good so far) or the "new age guy" (does not cut on the field).

Guest wheres_jacka
to be honessed, we havent seen anything of bailey yet on the field, for all we know, he is a great public speaker and presenter but cant coach for crap on match day...i agree with u that miller is a bit of a risk and could turn out to be a flop...however, i have no doubt in my mind that if millers decision making skills could improve and he can have controlled aggression...people have said that he is a good leader and robert walls was one of many to say that he will be a future captain about 3 years ago..

"Honessed". Jesus Christ what are our schools producing.

In thinking about ol Frosty it occurs to me that a singular deficiency in his makeup is real confidence ( in himself ) . This could account for some of his strange behaviour and decisons with the ball.

If a more 'agressive' Miller is one that has better understanding of his role and the necessity to act not hesitate then we might be in for better results........or......

I suppose we can wait and see :)

Also, the man can mark the ball. Does anyone recall that ripper pack mark Miller took against Freo at Subi during the year

Yep, rememeber that. Finished it off with a 50 mtr goal as well.

I though Miller was in for a blinder that afternoon as he returned to his favourite venue. Alas he put in his typical 10 possession, 4 mark 1 goal game. And we got spanked by 10 goals.

He finished off the season with 11 marks and 1 goal against the tankers in a game that may have saved his career.

Well we are 9th in reading and writing in OECD countries. Im just as guilty. I dont rate miller but he wasnt worth much in terms of trading. Kinda glad they kept him and DB has done everything good to date. if anyone can teach miller i think its DB. Prefer miller to play forward than back tho

problems i have with miller:

-his kicking

-his marking under physical pressure (stationary 1 on 1)

-his decision making

the last point manifests itself in two ways. he a) takes way to long to move the ball on sometimes which kills whatever set ups we had forward and b)he often takes the handball option too quickly, but i think thats either an instruction or a symptom of knowing he takes too long otherwise.

he really needs to learn the art of feeding into the 50. and he should be working with a kicking coach, biomechanics expert, anything for a couple hours a week to learn how to kick 55 metres. if he could mark on the 50 then slot a couple of goals, or mark at 70 and land it near the goal square he would be damaging. atm if he marks outside the 50 he is almost a liability...

I struggle to see how a player we got at pick 55 in the 2001 ND who has played nearly 100 games has underachieved. Admittedly many have been so-so.

There is a misconception amongst many posters on this site that Miller was the great white hope at CHF from a couple of early games where he showed some rough promise.

His past four years have shown him to be a NQR AFL player with great character but limited natural ability.

There were many players picked ahead of him in that draft and subsequent drafts who have done less in AFL.

He is just not that good whether forward or back and anything positive we can extract from him in the next year has to be a positive whether he plays the "aggressor" (not good so far) or the "new age guy" (does not cut on the field).

Rhino, I agree with all the above. I think expectations of drafted KPPs always exceed those of dime a dozen midfielders. Any young strapping tall will always create more excitement and discussion than their smaller counterparts and this has always been the way. Look at the hype surrrounding Michael Newton earlier this year.

As far as Miller goes, my thoughts are that he showed alot more earlier in his career, plateaued, then went backwards. I'm wondering whether he stagnated under Daniher, possibly being at sixes and sevens as to what was required of him both in terms of position play and aggression. Lack of confidence brings with it mistakes and lack of correct decision making ability.

He and Bailey go back to his Mount Gravatt days and hopefully the history, trust and faith born from both parties at that time will allow him to flourish more under this new regime. Bailey obviously sees him as a challenge, and while the performance hasn't always been there, I think he is still perceived as a leader.

His team role and his confidence need to be re-harnessed by a new coach with fresh ideas and with that perhaps his career will re-ignite. If not, he was a pick 55, not a pick 5, and that reality needs to keep expectations and evaluations in perspective.

In thinking about ol Frosty it occurs to me that a singular deficiency in his makeup is real confidence ( in himself ) . This could account for some of his strange behaviour and decisons with the ball.

Bingo.

It's visible on his face, the edgyness and desperation to pass off to the first player he can find, it's always been clear that he was given specific instructions to fit with a set play - the lead up forward takes the mark, handballs to a teammate running forward so that the movement into the forward line is as fast as possible.

I really think there's a coached habit there, and part of why I think he should play close to goal is that it would avoid what I think is a bad habit, and maybe once he's mentally renewed he can begin working his way out again.

Others have mentioned Sylvia in the same boat as Miller. It's tangible. There's a little raft floating around with Miller, Sylvia & CJ sitting in it, and they need to start paddling like crazy.

Actually, there's a lot of people who will find 08 a crossroads, for varying reasons, whether injury, failure to establish a spot, persistent underperforming, or staving off retirement.

Whelan, Moloney, Jamar, CJ, PJ, Warnock, Sylvia, Miller, Yze, Holland, Robertson, White and... horror of horrors to contemplate (except for occo) Neitz.

This isn't about identifying players who've performed badly or anything, it's just about who's got extra pressure on them facing the 08 season.

Why wouldnt miller play hard? is there any other way, if you have size about you and just run around trying to bump over the lil blokes all day we may aswell trade him for Aaron Hamill, I would much rather see him having a fair old crack and being suspended for 8 weeks of the year then playing like a skirt and getting dropped back to sandy for the same period. Obviously with DB keeping him on he has a bit of faith that he can get something out of him otherwise he would be gone already so I dare say DB will know by round 3 or 4 where Millers future is at and I dont think Miller is under any illusions regarding his place on the list.

IT professionals. By the spadeload.

Because a country that can't cheat at online games will face a very bleak future in the 21st century which is to come whether we are ready for it or not down the track since we can't run the flag up the pole and see who salutes if we're caught with our pants down changing horses in midstream.

Brad Miller started to play bad after he hit a few blokes and got rubbed out for a couple of games. Since then his attack on the footy and player has been poor. IMO when he is leading straight up the middle attacking his leads and the footy he is a good lead up CHF. If he goes back to do this role well our midfiled needs to be educated to get to him for the handball.

He knows his foot skill limitations but if he can get his hands on it around the middle of the ground thats when our talented kicking players should be running to him for a handball receive.

Lets face it Miller is the type of player that relies on players to kick the ball well to him and last year we were one of the worst kicking teams in the AFL and we stuffed around held it up, no leading player would of got a kick player CHF for us last year.

Agressive Miller was in our top 10. The new age soft version would struggle to make our top 30. I don't care if he gets rubbed out for half of the season for doing things nobody would've blinked an eye about 10 years ago. 11 decent games a year would be a vast improvement on his last 2 years, and the young fellas can pick up the slack.

I like Brad and have resisted bagging him because he was effectively castrated by Danners. Would love to see him bust some packs apart this year.