The "Aggressive" Miller

Agressive Miller was in our top 10. The new age soft version would struggle to make our top 30. I don't care if he gets rubbed out for half of the season for doing things nobody would've blinked an eye about 10 years ago. 11 decent games a year would be a vast improvement on his last 2 years, and the young fellas can pick up the slack.

I like Brad and have resisted bagging him because he was effectively castrated by Danners. Would love to see him bust some packs apart this year.

I'm with you furious.......the best football from Miller happened when he was throwing his weight around. Opposition players would sidestep when he was coming through.

It was the last time that our opponents were afraid of a player wearing a Melbourne Jumper. The sooner this is reinvigorated the better for the team and the Club.

Belt them Brad!

I struggle to see how a player we got at pick 55 in the 2001 ND who has played nearly 100 games has underachieved.

Miller's only chance is to be aggressive. It's the only way he'll regain confidence. He didn't have a clue what to do on the field last year. I don't rate him, but a hard running furious Miller may have some value.

As for where he was picked ? I'd love to dredge up the thread where many esteemed Demonlanders were saying that once you're on a list it matters not how you got there, or what pick you were. I disagreed then, and haven't changed my mine.

Where did you stand ?

The first thing Miller needs to get back, is his confidence. He has none, and it does not matter how aggressive or talented a player is, if they haven't got confidence they are not worth a dime.

Hopefully Bailey and his 'no limitations' policy will help Miller gain that touch of arrogance that he had back when many amongst us (myself included) rated him very highly.

I have a soft spot for Miller because he is a really fantastic person and I would love to see him succeed. He isn't the most gifted player on the list, but one thing he does have is a good head on his shoulders. He just needs to start believing that he is an AFL player again.

I struggle to see how a player we got at pick 55 in the 2001 ND who has played nearly 100 games has underachieved. Admittedly many have been so-so.

There is a misconception amongst many posters on this site that Miller was the great white hope at CHF from a couple of early games where he showed some rough promise.

His past four years have shown him to be a NQR AFL player with great character but limited natural ability.

There were many players picked ahead of him in that draft and subsequent drafts who have done less in AFL.

He is just not that good whether forward or back and anything positive we can extract from him in the next year has to be a positive whether he plays the "aggressor" (not good so far) or the "new age guy" (does not cut on the field).

spot on about the great white hope at chf. you , myself and many others have moved on but some havn`t. whether there was real interest in him or all talk from all party`s concerned during trade week, age is on his side. would love to see Bailey shape him into a permanent defender

Where's the line between underachiever and not up to scratch?

Has Miller 'underachieved' in not cementing a best 22 spot, considering the size and turnover of lists in footy?

Who sets expectations on players? It wasn't like he was a high draft pick.

no doubt hes underachieved but hes not the only one, hes getting a second chance because of his age in my opinion, hes not a forward and shouldnt be played there

As I indicated, I'm interested to hear why people think he has 'underachieved'.

What makes Miller an underachiever and someone else simply not good enough?

As I indicated, I'm interested to hear why people think he has 'underachieved'.

What makes Miller an underachiever and someone else simply not good enough?

not good enough in my opinoin is Chris Johnson, struggles to follow game and keep up, Miller when played both back and forward has showed glimpes of quality but has never been consistent. as a defender has taken some big scalps, as a forward led right up ground giving the defenders a marking option becoming the link between them and Neitz and Robbo. good mark on lead, not really a pack marker, i think ND realised he wasn`t going to be a big goal kicker so he used him as the link man. but far to inconsistent

Agressive Miller was in our top 10. The new age soft version would struggle to make our top 30. I don't care if he gets rubbed out for half of the season for doing things nobody would've blinked an eye about 10 years ago. 11 decent games a year would be a vast improvement on his last 2 years, and the young fellas can pick up the slack.

I like Brad and have resisted bagging him because he was effectively castrated by Danners. Would love to see him bust some packs apart this year.

Miller strikes me as a player who has been over-coached, and seems to think too much about following team instructions, rather than doing things by instinct.

An example of this is that the Daniher coaching edict was for players who take a mark or gain possession with their back to goal, were not allowed to do a U-Turn, a la Wayne Carey. The instruction was for players to go back behind the mark and take their kick, or handball to someone facing the goals. I've heard David Schwarz mention how frustrated he was with this team instruction. Getting back to Miller, how often do you see him after taking a mark on the lead, handball to a player who is stagnant, or take his time moving the ball up forward? It struck me that he's too conscious of trying to do the team thing, rather than being instinctive.

I've often said that Miller hasn't got a football brain. Maybe it's more a case of having too many things going through his head, rather than trusting his instincts.

problems i have with miller:

-his kicking

-his marking under physical pressure (stationary 1 on 1)

-his decision making

the last point manifests itself in two ways. he a) takes way to long to move the ball on sometimes which kills whatever set ups we had forward and b)he often takes the handball option too quickly, but i think thats either an instruction or a symptom of knowing he takes too long otherwise.

he really needs to learn the art of feeding into the 50. and he should be working with a kicking coach, biomechanics expert, anything for a couple hours a week to learn how to kick 55 metres. if he could mark on the 50 then slot a couple of goals, or mark at 70 and land it near the goal square he would be damaging. atm if he marks outside the 50 he is almost a liability...

You mean like this:

toolongle9.gif