Bate - What position

H.B.K

Bate - What position  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well what do people think that this young player should play?

Very versatile so i am sure he will be a good player in any position, but my preference would be for him to play midfield, aka Goodes and Pavlich (when he played there

Id like to see him in the midfield as well. We have plenty of young tall defenders and Dunn and Newton can both play forward so perhaps Bate would be best used in the midfield.

Early days - could be a bit of a Godddard type who incidentally is having a bit of an identity crisis as to where he fits in with the Saints @ present - will be a good watch over the next season or 2 - reckon he just might get a sniff this year @ some stage - hopefully through hard work as opposed to vacancies through injury

• 1 month later...

• 2 years later...

He's gotta play as a leading CHF. Midfield? I think not. He doesn't have the stamina to do any more than pinch hit there, and his kicking is not nearly precise enough. It's not even in the ball park of precise. He's a classic lead-up, mark, wheel and launch it long kind of player. A (very) poor man's Wayne Carey. He was excellent at times against the Doggies doing exactly this.

I would think he is too slow to be a rebounding defender or run with player

Also he's too slow to dispose of the ball in the midfield. If he works on his accuracy I think he could be a very good Forward as his marking and long kicking are his biggest assets.

CHF! We can't keep using quality forwards in the midfield simply for the sake of it. Especially when they have fast leads, strong hands and a booming kick.

I prefer seeing Bate in the forward line. Call him CHF, call him a flanker, call him whatever but if Bate presents, marks and kicks goals, that's good enough for me.

Kicks goals? He's only ever kicked more than 2 goals in a game on one single occasion and that was against Carlton, hardly something to be proud of.

He doesn't have the contested marking or goal kicking ability to be a dominant CHF, but considering we have absolutely no one else to play that role I guess he's it

Thanks CAC

Kicks goals? He's only ever kicked more than 2 goals in a game on one single occasion and that was against Carlton, hardly something to be proud of.

He doesn't have the contested marking or goal kicking ability to be a dominant CHF, but considering we have absolutely no one else to play that role I guess he's it

Thanks CAC

He's 20 y.o. Jarka.

Be patient.

He's 20 y.o. Jarka.

Be patient.

I agree with Jacey give Bate some time. I think he is a good lead up forward with one of the best and cleanest pair of hands in the team.

By the way this is my first post. I only discovered this site today and was so impressed with the forum that I thought I would join.

I could spend 24 hours a day talking about the dees. So I am looking forward to many discussions with you all.

Go Dees :)

dont mean to be a keen bean but i have full trust in bailey to do whats best with bates ability considering he knows more than any of us, working closely with bate over the pre season....if i was coach however hed be playing off the flank

dont mean to be a keen bean but i have full trust in bailey to do whats best with bates ability considering he knows more than any of us, working closely with bate over the pre season....if i was coach however hed be playing off the flank

IMO HFF, although yes, the Master is versatile, and don't let his loping running style fool you, this guy is deceptively fast once in full flow.

this bate dude is getting a lot of hype with demon fans, is he really that good?

i'm most excited bout Col

Col haha hes nothing compared to Bater

Not saying your right or wrong, but on what basis?

Been saying for ages , recent successfull chfs have been big bodied players.IMO not good enough to be a lead up chf, must be able also to take pack marks and bang and crash to open up opportunities for smaller players.

Been saying for ages , recent successfull chfs have been big bodied players.IMO not good enough to be a lead up chf, must be able also to take pack marks and bang and crash to open up opportunities for smaller players.

Careful loges what you say about Bate around here, some of the natives don't take too kindly to negative comments, but fwiw I agree with you, and I believe he makes a better mid or flanker.